8.5

1. Sep 20, 2013
    What an amazing movie about to legends of the track Niki Lauda is a machine unbelievable driver and technician and James Hunt just pure raw talent Chris Hemsworth & Daniel Brühl do them both justice such a enjoyable movie well filmed really intense action just one of them all round completely brilliant films a must see.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    I'm not a Formula 1 fan, but this movie was really appealing to me. The development of characters and plot are so well constructed that it is impossible no to enjoy this movie as a master piece.
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    "Rush" is an awe-inspiring story filled with nail-biting, fast-paced racing scenes and it's right up there with some of Ron Howard's best films. While you might go into "Rush" thinking it's going to be Hemsworth's show, it's Daniel Brühl's unforgettable performance as his rival that has the most impact
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    Never been so mesmerized with sports drama movie. I can say this is the best I've ever seen. Im on the edge of my seat hoping that this rivalry romance story between the two rivals never end. Chris Hemsworth & Daniel Brühl played the character so perfect and well balanced, they complement each other. Oscar worthy!
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    I may be forgetting something, but, to me, Rush is the best film about sports I've ever seen. The race sequences are beautifully, brilliantly enthralling. But the greatness of the film lies in its characterization of the psyches of its rival protagonists, Hunt and Lauda. The whole cast does an excellent job, but Bruhl as Lauda is absolutely superb. And the script gives Bruhl plenty to work with in making Lauda as complex as he does. An Oscar performance if there ever was one. One of the most convincing acting jobs I've ever seen in my life in a big-budget Hollywood film. One of the great Hollywood studio films of all time. Howard certainly deserves an Oscar. Expand
  6. Oct 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably the best movie I've seen this year (not saying too much this year). And I'm not even a huge F1 fan. I went into this expecting it to be a run of the mill racing film and wasn't expecting much from Hemsworth. Man was I wrong. Hemsworth delivers his best performance so far, the drama is genuine, the action is truly thrilling. It's a bit of a puff piece at times but not in a way that makes me roll my eyes. The part where Lauda returns to the track after his injury and finishes in fourth gave me genuine chills for the entire scene. I can't say how much I respect that about people. When they have a genuine passion for something and will do whatever it takes to continue doing what they love...for all the things I hate about people, this is something I truly respect. Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2013
    What a great movie, shows how Formula One was (is), it's good from beginning to end. Not sure if this is a date movie, but if you like racing, it's great. Ron Howard is the best.
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    "Rush" is one of the best films of the year. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of depth and emotional story telling this film possess. From its brilliant script that infuses humor, drama, and a story about a fascinating rivalry to its impeccable and detailed oriented direction, this film succeeds on every level.

Ron Howard’s direction is extremely noteworthy as I felt like a part
    of the journey and involved with the characters as I cheered them on. In the beginning, I was rooting for James, but as the movie progresses and things unravel, I was cheering for Niki. However, as the movie moves forward, I couldn’t choose one over the other. This is the type of engagement that I love in movies, it keeps the audience involved and contently thinking about every situation and the characters as a whole.

This film is well edited and shot as well. I couldn’t find a useless or uninteresting moment in this film. Everything flowed very well and the film moved at a brisk pace. It felt as every shot or sequence is catered to moving and developing the characters and their story forward. The racing sequences are well shot and make you feel a part of the race. My heart rushed when characters successfully made narrow life endangering turns. It is a really good film to look at as the scenery and environment crafted feels inviting and absorbing.

The cast in this film is superb. Chris Hemsworth gives his finest performance to date as a carefree playboy. Even though his character James Hunt doesn’t appear serious, he struggles with his inner demons trying to be taken a bit more seriously. Daniel Bruhl also gives and equally impressive, if not better, performance as Niki Lauda an arrogant self-absorbent racer. It’s interesting to see his character go from caring only about himself and racing to something more important. The greatest aspect of the characters are their interactions. I really enjoy how they can’t stand each other, but can’t be successful without each other either. While they hate one another, they find a mutual respect for the other. It’s quite endearing to see how they have each others back off the tracks.

Overall, “Rush” is an amazing movie and totally worth your time. It’s a movie that has everything, from drama to humor to love. The greatest aspect of the film is its truly brilliant and masterful score by Hans Zimmer. His score gives the right amount of emotional punch along with improving everything we see and giving the film a greater amount of importance. I give this film an extremely high 4.5/5, a well oiled film that has no wasted parts.
  9. Sep 25, 2013
    Not really a big fan of f1 but i really enjoyed this movie! The characters opposed each other perfectly and really suck you into the plot which is well written and very enjoyable. Really made me see f1 in a whole different light, i would definitely recommend this to anyone!
  10. Oct 5, 2013
    Simply, one of the best movies ever made!!! I have already watched it 2 times!!!! Pure entertainment, pure rush!!! Watch it!! Go see it!!! It's absolutely wonderful!!!
  11. Sep 22, 2013
    This movie is everything it should be. It's superbly shot, edited, acted and it tells a good story. It's definitely a hollywood-type movie... that's a bit fluffy... but it's a lot of fun. I felt something for both the characters, was on the edge of my sit at moments during the race scenes... and was moved by the ending. The theater was full at last night's show... more than half the audience clapped at the end... as did I. Expand
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    This is an amazing film. I can't recommend it highly enough for F1 fans like me, sports fans, or anyone interested in a story of rivalry i.e. something different to the unoriginal junk movies which get churned out each year.

All the crew involved should pat themselves on the back. They've done a fabulous job making this film critique, explore and honour two memorable F1 drivers.

James Hunt's fun, party lifestyle along with his brash and raw driving talent. This is contrasted against Niki Lauda's methodical thinking, technical brilliance and professional lifestyle. These two characters are total opposites but as their lives are explored it also acknowledges the value of an enemy, i.e. something to beat. I believe this is a commentary on human nature in that the best of us shines when we have something to beat or overcome.

Do yourself a favour and see it now
  13. Sep 23, 2013
    An entertaining account of the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Rush starts slowly and in a somewhat formulaic manner but after about 40 minutes things kick into high gear and the movie soars. It helps that Peter Morgan's script has bite and rises above the average ambitions of this type of movie. Ron Howard is to be commended for his direction of another film which, whilst obviously having popular appeal,in no way aims for the lowest common denominator. He captures the high energy world of the race track perfectly and the quality here, as in most of his previous films, is apparent in every frame. Chris Hemsworth charismatically portrays Hunt, but it is really Daniel Bruhl who steals the show. His Lauda is definitely the more interesting character and his presence dominates, but doesn't over balance, the film. Technical achievements are aces. Point of view cinematography puts you excitingly on the track and first rate editing keeps you there. The sound is also great. Lovers of fast moving, good old fashioned styled movies with no axe to grind should rush to see it. Expand
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    "Perfection" is not a great word to describe this movie This movie is "the" movie of 2013 I'm a Formula 1 maniac and of all motoristic sports, I'm a minor driver as well so I can understand more stuff, feeling it (no offense, just passion), so I can say that this movie is so great Niki Lauda was acted by Daniel Brühl so perfectly, his acting was above of all oscars on this earth and Chris Hemsworth too, playing James "The Shunt" Hunt...The plot is so real, I mean, is so close to 75-76's era and when I was watching it, it was like I was just watching the TV, watching the Gran Prix live in that moment Wow What a feeling I don't want to say so much for the people that haven't seen this movie yet, but I guarantee you, this is purely EPIC Ron Howard is one more time a crazy genious This movie made history this year Great I'm still electrified Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2013
    This movie has a lot going on for it it's stylishly shot, has great energy and direction and a good SOLID story to go with it! The performances are great, at times I was sitting on the edge of my seat, other times
    having a good chuckle and then other moments or actually feeling sad and sympathetic for the characters. Someone else said the audience clapped at the end of the movie, they
    did at my screening too.
    It's pure entertainment, would have been a great summer blockbuster.
  16. Sep 28, 2013
    I never knew (or cared) a thing about Formula 1 racing, but this movie brought to life the visceral appeal of this sport and its practitioners so perfectly that I left the theater feeling like I had driven all of those races and fought all the real-life battles that these two men endured myself. The screenplay, cinematography and editing brilliantly juxtaposed and fused all the contradictions that make this life-threatening sport a compulsion for men like Hunt and Lauda. The two stars were perfectly cast and their portrayals (particularly that of Daniel Bruhl) perfectly humanized the characters. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    planed out very nicely shows years of the formula one race drivers james hunt and niki louder cut down also the great tragedy which also looks amazingly done incredible performance from chris who has come so far this is a film about legends this film is legends this is one of the best films i have seen all year
  18. Oct 3, 2013
    Ron Howard invested his own money and made this film without studio support because he believed there was a great story here and he was right. Howard is known for great directing and this shows in this film. I have seen some comments about how they used old race footage, but they should know the recreated most of what you see on the screen. It is amazing the attention to detail Howard and his crew did when making this film.

I wish I could say I know the historical details to tell you how much is Hollywood fluff and how much is real, but I will say so far this seems very accurate. It is a based on a true story and do mean more then just 5% of it is based on a true story like some movies.

The acting was good overall. Not only was the casting good, but the attention to detail with clothing, sets, cars, etc, is top notch. They did a great job creating that 1970s vibe.

I appreciate that they did not not drag out the racing scenes. This is movie is about the people, not the cars. The racing scenes are very well done, but movie really does focus on the characters. Many automotive based movies become super cheesy, but Howard did a good job keeping it under control. There are few times is bordered on crossing the line.

Yes, if you hate hearing the "F" word or seeing people use the middle finger, this film may offend you. Unlike movies who seem to use harsh language for no reason, this feels like how they really would have spoken. You will see short moments bare butts and breasts, but none of it us vulgar.

If you are looking for a good drama with some action, this is a great movie. If you enjoy racing and do not know this story, you must see this movie. If you want to see the movie industry make a wider range of movies, then see this movie because no studio would have made this. If Ron Howard shows there is a market for more than popcorn and horror movies, then we may see more quality films of this level come out.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    I came in feeling like this would be just another Ron Howard movie in the 7 or 8 range. I came out with a smile on my face and realized that this was not a usual Ron Howard film. The strong F1 battle between great s Niki Lauda and James Hunt could not have been documented any better. The cinematography was top-notch, and the acting was okay. The action and races in the movie were so intense, I thought that if every sports fan in America saw this movie, Formula 1 racing would make a major comeback, and possibly put an end to NASCAR. This movie is amazing and possibly an oscar winner in the future. Expand
  20. Oct 25, 2013
    I went into this movie with great expectations, I am an F1 and racing fan, am familiar with the great true story the movie was based on, and I think old Opie has made some pretty good movies over the years. Don't get me wrong at all, the movie was good, but I cannot quite call it great, and interestingly enough, I sort of expected the warm, compelling figure to be Hunt, but Lauda is really the more sympathetic and interesting character to me, even before the stuff happens in the movie that might make you want to root for him. Still a great rivalry, great story, I am actually changing my rating from an 8 to a 9 as I write this and think about the movie, definitely worth a watch whether you are an F1 fan or not. One of the great things about the movie is that if the story wasn't true it would seem too "Hollywood" but it is true, and a great story. Collapse
  21. Sep 21, 2013
    You don't have to be a fan of formula 1 racing, if you like great acting with a great script and tremendous back-and-forth rivalry, then you'll love this movie. Overall, it's an interesting rivalry. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  22. Oct 3, 2013
    terrific movie, laughs, tears, tension, best use of 'ahole' ever...entertaining as a movie should be...go see this on the big screen, intelligent and exhilirating...
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The 1976 Formula 1 season saw many exciting twists and turns, but the stand out of the season is
    the rivalry between Nicki Lauda and James Hunt. Rush is probably one of the best films I’ve seen this year, maybe even in my life. Rush is definitely one of my favorite films. I love the direction, the sound, the cinematography, acting and most importantly the story. It was incredible.

The acting in this film is captivating. Daniel Brühl is incredible, he hits the perfect mark at playing Nicki Lauda. Brühl commands the screen whenever he is on it, his screen presence is incredible. To be honest I think that the performance delivered by Brühl in Rush is going to get him a nomination for an Academy Award for sure. Hemsworth delivers probably the best performance of his career, Hemsworth delivers a mesmerising performance as the ladies’ man and talented driver James Hunt, and Hemsworth’s charismatic performance gives the film that extra kick which pushes it into top gear.

Another feature of the film which I love is the cinematography, I love the up close in action shots of the races. I love the use of the position of the camera in the actual position it was in when the crash happened. I loved the beautiful shots from inside the engine, the phantom camera footage of the inside of the engine working, I also loved the use of the footage of fuel being lit inside the engine.

Ron Howard is one of my favorite directors, I love the way he can bring those fun little jokes and looks from the characters. I love the attention to detail and the way he makes even people like me who dislike Formula 1, sit on the edge of their seat during the races.

I loved absolutely everything about the film Rush and here is to hoping that it picks up as many awards as possible and gets the recognition a film of this calibre deserves.
  24. Sep 28, 2013
    I've just raced home after witnessing one of the best examples of filmmaking I've experienced in a long time. It is a character study in the manner of Chariots of Fire, with excellent acting, story, pacing, setting, dimension, and moments of pure visual poetry. If you ever thought that director Ron Howard was asexual, you were flat-assed wrong. This movies is sexy as hell. If I knew Howard better, I would give him a smack on the lips for his remarkable achievement--Rush. Expand
  25. Oct 12, 2013
    Ron Howard has done a simply stunning job on this story of F1 legends, the cinematography and direction is something to behold, the actors, Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl do an amazing job of portraying James Hunt and Niki Lauda respectfully. The supporting cast is just as believable and well played. Even though I knew the story going in I was shocked at how real and true Ron Howard kept it, some scenes will stay with me for a long while yet and I cant wait to see them again. This is my favorite film of the year and its going to take allot to knock it off its pedestal. Expand
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    The film is talking about the legendary rivalry with Niki Lauda English driver James Hunt. In 1976, during the German Grand Prix Ferrari Lauda too suddenly came around a corner and crashed. The driver was trapped in a burning car in the accident was seriously injured and in a coma. In this race eventually won by Hunt. Six weeks later, Lauda returned to racing and one of the most exciting rivalries in the history of Formula 1 I recommend 100% Expand
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    Director Ron Howard continues to surprise with something that looks and feels entirely European. Gorgeously shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire), this has been aptly described as a character study but on a grand scale. The acting is impeccable and the story and race sequences although shorter than what I wanted will keep anyone on the edge of their seat. One criticism is that even though the film clocks in at 2:03, it feels rushed and hurried at times, which might be appropriate considering. However, this does not take away from the overall effect of being an incredible entry into a sport that America still has not seem to discover: Formula One racing. Expand
  28. Jan 5, 2014
    Ron Howard's best film in years, Rush is also one of the best film of 2013. Great drama, exciting action scenes...it really portrays the risk and toll of this sport on its 'heroes', the cool playboy Hunt and the calculating genius Lauda. Highly recommended.
  29. Jan 12, 2014
    its quite please to watch and definitely oscar material.One of few movies that managed high standards and fan friendlyness.full with emotions and thrill and no over ating at any point at all.
  30. Jan 18, 2014
    The only racing I get interested in usually involves the words “kart” and “Mario” but I was shocked by how much I enjoyed “Rush.” The story about Hunt’s and Lauda’s rivalry during the 1976 Formula 1 racing season is interesting enough but the performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl are just impossibly good. Add that with fantastic visual and heart-pounding race sequences and the film ended up being far better than I thought it could have been. Expand
  31. Nov 6, 2013
    Rush fue una sorpresa que me atrapó con los pantalones abajo en la sala de cine, porque, obviamente no me esperaba tal cosa ¡Qué equivocado estaba! Rush, del veterano director Ron Howard, aparte de captar una narración espléndida, tiene atrás suya dos de las mejores interpretaciones del año, Chris Hemsworth como Hunt, y Daniel Brül como Lauda. Una película que recomendaría más que nada a las personas que disfruten del automovilismo en general, pues las escenas de carreras son magistrales en todos los sentidos. Muy seguro de mi mismo, digo que estamos ante una de las mejores películas del año 2013. Expand
  32. Jan 15, 2014
    Just watched this and was blown away by an amazing story of rivalry and respect between James Hunt and Nicki Lauder in the year of 1976 with a great soundtrack to power things along. Hemsworth and Bruhl give amazing performances and yet again Ron Howard has produced another hit film for all to enjoy.
  33. Mar 3, 2014
    Very interesting! Very well directed! Emotional, I highly recommend watching this movie! It was over 2 hours! But I wasn't bored with it! It kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end!
  34. Mar 8, 2014
    Before watching the film, I thought this was going to just be a silly car racing movie, with no real point whatsoever. After watching, I realized I was completely dead wrong. This movie is exciting, well-directed, well-acted and it is fantastic. Director Ron Howard does the tension incredibly well in this movie. Definitely a recommendation.
  35. Jan 7, 2014
    Rush definitely lives up to its name. The way it pumped blood through my head gave me a rush. But quite a few movies manage to do that, and it was solely not for this that I liked the movie. I loved its art direction. It got me believing that I really was looking through a window into the 70s and witness this rivalry replayed.

There are quite a few movies out there vying for our
    attention. They have thrilling car races or chases, and the intention is only that_ to amaze us with the mind-boggling stunts. But Rush endeavoured to be much more than a film about racing cars. It wanted to make us experience how these drivers live, why they choose this profession, how they feel during the time they are behind the wheel, and how much victory means to them. In that task Rush has succeeded beyond my expectations. It set out to do something I had not even expected of it. So it sets itself apart and should be taken more seriously.

Rush is narrated by Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) at key moments of his career. His rivalry with James is spun out of context by the frenzied media. Surely they don't see eye to eye but when such levels of adrenaline are pumping through your veins and you risk everything to gain victory, even the slightest setback makes you envy and loathe your opponent to the extreme.

Both the main characters start off as rookies. Their first encounter and tussle may be fictionalised. Both of them are stupendously talented. But they must make their mark in order to gain attention from the big names in the game. Drivers finish the race but the ones making them the heroes in the public eye are the ones with the cars. And they would have to vie for names such as Ferrari and McLaren to even begin to have some kind of a chance to be among those who finish first.

I found the acting sufficient for the believability of the characters. James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) came across as the universal bad boy with a heart of gold. He certainly has the charisma to pull it off. Lauda was much more complex. He is clearly the type who aim high in life and are willing to do everything to achieve their goals. So Brühl had his work cut out for him but he surprised and rose to the occasion. There are their other sides which are gradually revealed and make them more human and thus more worthy of admiration. It was nice to see Olivia Wilde given a role in a movie that was not a box office bomb or a disaster with the critics.

We are shown glimpses of races around the world intertwined with scenes from the private lives of these two men. The racing scenes were short and well captured. The character development was well done and certainly painted distinct personalities. They joke and verbally spar in their own ways, calling each other names to incite angry responses. No one's the bad guy. They shuffle as the more sympathetic character throughout the movie. I'm glad they didn't resort to add more conflict and contrived fictional gimmicks to offset each other to add drama, which would have ruined it for me. I was constantly waiting for this to happen, for it to slip up and reveal mediocrity, even expecting it, for it is a film about cars, but I was pleased to be proven wrong.

You can have a thrilling movie about car racing or you could have a movie about the lives of drivers with sparse action, but Rush combined both perfectly. Everything was in the right proportions. It had the story, the entertainment value, the mood-changing quality and the effects. The races were brilliantly done. The accidents when they happened were rightly worrying and realistic and not exaggerated. The cars themselves were pure beauties. And I found myself agreeing with the line of dialogue that men love cars more than they love women.

I dare say that Rush has succeeded in supplanting all car racing movies I had previously watched and become my favourite from the genre. But the reason I loved it is it made me think about the importance of human life and why it must not be risked for thrill seeking and for the entertainment of others who do not have the guts to perform such kinds of feats.
  36. Jul 18, 2014
    Brilliant movie, Brilliantly directed and brilliantly acted. Ron Howard once again proves he is one of the worlds best Directors. I can not say enough good things about this movie
  37. Jan 13, 2014
    Ron Howard, the master of biographical picture maker. As I know of him, he never failed to transform biographical stories into a movie. In fact, many of his movies are my favourites. This time he picked up a true story of two rivalry formula 1 drivers from the 70s. This biographical sports drama was nothing short in all the aspects compared to his earlier movies. So his legacy continues with a series of masterpieces in his filmography. I am always fond of his works because the mix of sentiments in his movies is powerfully appealing just like I wanted. The emotion tool was very wisely utilized in this movie as well.

The races from the movie were shot awesomely with the old automobile models and sets around. It was a perfect direction utilizing this inspiring true story with two great actors. It won't only tells about races but also the inexplicable friendship between them, which is hard to predict as we are not they. As per my observation I did not detect any flaws, especially races were exceptionally shot, totally to-notch. From the fast pace story narration due to the fine editing to background score and visual effects, we must recognize the A1 quality of the production house.

This movie portrays about the 1976 Formula 1 season where two new comer drivers from Europe, James Hunt and Niki Lauda are considered the top rivalries to grab the world championship title. So their's stunning entry from lower class race to the big event, the clash between them were exhibited very well. Two equally great drivers with different mantras in their life as well implement in the race track was just mind blowing. The story was told from the perspective of both of them where narration frequently switches.

Initially I was not favour to give it a shot. The reason behind it was the Chris Hemsworth, I am not a big fan of his performance. Most of his movies are commercially feel good kind ones so I was a bit hesitated to put my faith in this. And a couple of Ron Howard's last movies as well not like I expected but was just good. This movie completely reformed these two guys and redefined their's capability once again. Regretting for not saw it earlier, but feels good that I did not miss it after all. A highly recommended movie, which was one of the best sports movie from 2013 along with '42'.

9.5/10
  38. Dec 28, 2013
    This is what a respectful rivalry looks like. Ron Howard does a fabulous job of depicting this two totally different men on and off the track. The on track scenes are very well done looking very realistic no sugar coating the dangers. A
  39. Jan 19, 2014
    I wasn't expecting the intensity and gripping action that I received during this movie. Not a fan of Formula 1 at all, but this movie delivers even to the people who don't care about it. After a rough start, the movie turns into a non stop thrill ride that makes up for everything that may have gone wrong
  40. Feb 3, 2014
    几乎是一部完美的电影,可以说是挑不出任何的缺点,从影片的基调,剧情故事,演员表演,剪辑,配乐等等无一例外都是好莱坞的最强水准,特别是Hans Zimmer激赞的配乐百听不厌,几场比赛更是爽快至极,两位主演带来了他们最好的演技。
  41. Sep 29, 2013
    The movie fully captures the drama they both lived in their f1 days.
    It also capture their personal lives.
    The movie has halarious one liners between the Lauda and hunt. It also had great visual effects and the sound of the cars are just amazing
  42. Nov 14, 2013
    The best scenario is to try to explore it, what was the rivalry between the two drivers. Hunt and Lauda represent two extreme attitudes towards life: but impossible to reconcile, is generating similar results. I really like a good movie for me. As a kid, I watched them on the screen as competing but I had no idea what it looks like from the inside.
  43. Dec 31, 2013
    Rush is a very stylish and slick sports drama that features very strong performances from Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth along with realistic high-octane race sequences.
  44. Dec 5, 2013
    What a great movie that shows one of the best rivalries ever in sports history .Great choice of actors that are really close to the real Hunt and Lauda, especially Daniel Bruhl. A lot of suspence and rush, one of the best movie this year, and the best sports movie ever.
  45. Dec 15, 2013
    By Aaryan K. Trivedi Property of Western Epic Entertainment. Basic Storyline: two of the greatest, fastest and most fierce rivals in sporting history, James Hunt and Niki Louda two formula one racers, race it out to win the Formula One championship in 1976. Director: Ron Howard Producer: Andrew Eaton​ ....​producer Eric Fellner​ ....​producer Brian Grazer​ ....​producer Ron Howard​ ....​producer
    Peter Morgan​ ....​producer
    Screenplay: Peter Morgan​
    Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Bruhl, Olivia Wilde, Alexandra Maria Lara,Pierfrancesco Favino, David Calder, Natalie Dormer, Stephen Mangan.
    Stars:4*

HOWARD has created a KICK ASS racing film for the ages.
    Champagne, drugs, girls and speed and no I’m not talking gta 5 I’m talking Ron Howards Rush, the film is set in the 70s and focuses on the danger of formula 1 racing although the thrill has its highs it also has its flaws such as Hemsworth’s (the avengers) British accent; however that being said I deeply believe his towering performance as hunt deserves to be acknowledged for the power and passion in his performance, he took us to a state of victory and depression, he showed us the real Hunt and allowed use to judge whether or not we loved or hated this character, Daniel Bruhl (the fifth estate) had given his best performance in film, he had convinced us that he was Lauda and he helped us understand the complicated man and why he did what he did, Bruhl maybe “rushing” to the academy awards this year for his performance.
    I feel inclined to tell you that the only reason this film worked was because of the spectacular screenplay written by peter Morgan (frost Nixon) who is the genius behind rush, his screenplay had the perfect balance between lauda and hunt, once you watch the movie you will really appreciate dialogue written for the characters, it really gives a dipper understanding on interoperating each characteristic of lauda and hunt, I’m obliged to tell you that I feel he deserves acknowledgment on the films overall success considering now a days if you read a screenplay it tends to loose the aim and main focuses of the movie unlike rush where it focuses on the drama on the track but also in their own personal life’s. I’m afraid you cant help to compare rush to frost/Nixon which also directed by Howard and Written by Morgan, which is also based on a rivalry relationship, I suppose both films are very similar; but it is fair to say they both have different sorts of drama and a totally different emotional feeling.
    We meet Mr hunt in the hospital we can immediately tell how dominating, flirtatious and a tiny bit excessive he is after being beat up by a angry husband, and within moments he is shagging a nurse. Hunts charades is a man who will take risks to get what he wants.
    We meet lauda who is a man who knows what he wants and what he needs, we can tell is technically minded around the car unlike the ride or die playboy hunt, niki is very adamant and is a very blunt man, he does not take risks but will if driven to by his rivals.
    As far as we are concerned this was rons big come back after his four recent film failure’s including the comedy starring Vince Vaughn the dilemma, this film has most definitely reassured us that Howard has still got it, not only directing the actors perfectly but also the technical aspects such as camera movement and the choosing of lenses this is of course with the help of Oscar winner Anthony Dod Mantle (slum dog millionaire) cinematographer, after doing space shuttles it would be easy to assume that cars are no problem. I fell that the some scenes should have been cut and not over done such as the scene where the journalist is beat up.

This film is not a unmissable film but is a beautiful story and is made to entertain this film is for everyone a man or women. This will be a film that may not rush to the top of box office but will be one to remember.
  46. Dec 20, 2013
    welle i can't tell you that the next i'll see a formula one race on tv i won't probably change the chanel what a great a movie it was beyond what i expected and i'm so glad that i wathed it today great story very inspiring the directing was great and i don't need to talk about the acting specialy Daniel bruhl he was breath taking RUSH officially is in my top 10 movies of 2013.
  47. Jan 3, 2014
    İzlediğim en iyi biyografi Filmlerinden biriydi bence, Çok iyi bir mücadele geçirmiş iki yarışçının başından geçmiş olayları süper şekilde anlatmış.
    Kesinlikle izleyin..
  48. Feb 14, 2014
    The story of a movie is cheap and the screenplay is good and not hard to write but its an biography so it doesn't mater,the movie is done perfect it couldn't be done better,its awesome ,awesome directing.Definitley worth watching,Deserved some nominations for awards but that didnt happen.sorry for bad english if there is some
  49. Mar 12, 2014
    I really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like all great art the message and appeal are completely left to the individual. Im far too naive to comment on cinematography or editing so Ill just say the movie kicked ass and I watched it twice. As a 38 yr old man with a 9 yr old son, the film led me to question my own values and philosphies about being a man. Well done Mr. Howard......Im now a bandwagon F1 fan. Expand
  50. Mar 14, 2014
    Being an avid Formula 1 fan, I could not wait to see this - and it was worth the wait, Beautiful cinematography, multi dimensional characters that you care about and the trueness to the real story line make this a must see, F1 enthusiast or not.
  51. Apr 18, 2014
    “Rush” is about the real life fierce rivalry between Chris Hemsworth’s character, James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl’s Niki Lauda. Hunt and Bruhl were both formula 1 drivers during the 70′s and the movie tells us what happened during the years they both raced against each other.

Chris Hemsworth may never get the Thor- stamp off him (and that isn’t that bad since those movies make tonnes of
    money) but he is genuinly great in this film and the best part is that he isn’t Thor. Chris Hemsworth portrayes James Hunt brilliantly. Hunt is a reckless playboy who is willing to risk his life in a car. Not only does Chris look the part, he also acts just like you would imagine Hunt acting. Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda is the polar opposite of Chris as Hunt. He is the rich, good boy who goes to bed early and who doesn’t party all night. However Lauda and Hunt are not only nice guys and playboys respectably. They are much more than that: Lauda is kinda douchy and not actually the nice guy you would have in a typical movie. Hunt is also troubled and you can, much thanks to Chris’s performance, see the scared side of the character. I can only say that the characters and the actors are the best part of the movie.

Ron Howard is a very underrated director. He is a two time Academy Award winning director and yet he’s never really mentioned in the top. He is however directing this film incredibly well. The editing is also fantastic, Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill are really sharp, working with quick cuts, my favorite technique. There was a certain sequence in the movie where the race wasn’t shown but the result were presented through text on the screen. That directing and editing trick caught me of guard and I admire the wat it was handled.

“Rush” isn’t really about racing. It focuses on the characters more than the cars and that’s how I want my sport movies. Similar to “Warrior” (a review for wich can be found on this very site) I don’t care for the sport in it, I care about the overall story. That being said, the sound of the motors and the way the characters (I seem to constantly come back to the characters) behave towards the sport are great and they kinda made me an ounce interested.

I contend that John Williams is the greatest composer ever but I also believe that the best soundtrack for a movie is the one for “Inception”, “Inceptions” score is composed by Hans Zimmer. He also composed “Rush”. Zimmer crafts a score with might similar to a motor and with the emotion and passion of the driver. It’s a beautiful soundtrack.

A surprisingly good thing about the film is the product placement. It gave a form of credibility to the 70′s racing.

The only real complaint I have about the film is how the relationship between Niki Lauda and James Hunt progresses. While the development is great I didn’t really buy into the way they went from non-respect to respect. I saw how they tried to introduce the growing friednship but it didn’t translate that well ont the screen.

Overall, “Rush” is an intense, thrilling ride (pun intended) with the right focus and no real big flaws. It’s good to see more from Chris Hemsworth and even better that his range as an actor increases. The movie is far from predictable (but if you know about the real life events you obviously know how it’ll end), something that is hard to pull of in a sports movie. Even if you don’t like racing, I think you’ll love “Rush”.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    Rush, though it will win no trophies, is fine filmmaking, a smart, visually engorged, frequently thrilling tale of boyish competition — inspired by a true story. At heart it’s “Amadeus” on wheels, only this time Salieri is the Austrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Sep 30, 2013
    The result is a solid film, but one that remains more interesting than intense.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 27, 2013
    Still, it is a writer's privilege to trim and tailor at will, and everybody loves a duel. It would take the dullest of curmudgeons not to enjoy the surge of this saga, accurate or not, and the excesses of what already feels like a distant age. [30 Sept. 2013, p.84]