Rushmore

8.8

1. Feb 22, 2012
    I really love this flick. Sadly I can relate to Max's delusional characteristics. He is kind of pathetic in a loveable kind of way. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson created the most memorable and dysfunctional antilove triangle in the history of cinema in my opinion. The art direction is slick. The cast is brilliant, especially Murray. The soundtrack is filled to the brim with nostalgic tunes.I really love this flick. Sadly I can relate to Max's delusional characteristics. He is kind of pathetic in a loveable kind of way. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson created the most memorable and dysfunctional antilove triangle in the history of cinema in my opinion. The art direction is slick. The cast is brilliant, especially Murray. The soundtrack is filled to the brim with nostalgic tunes. It's pretty close to perfection. I'm a gonna give it a 10 just the same. Expand
  2. Jul 8, 2012
    Rushmore is a fantastic movie. It features all of Anderson's quirks and idiosyncrasies front and center. The film is funny, subtle and touching with terrific acting and sharp writing. Jason Schwartzman is a revelation here. Rushmore is a movie that just never gets old.
  3. Aug 30, 2012
    Rushmore is funny, individual and highly influential in its style, seemingly inspiring just about every quirky school-based comedy of the 2000s, from Napoleon Dynamite to Juno. It's definitely Jason Schwartzman's film, and Max Fischer is one of the most annoying egotistical brats ever committed to celluloid, but somehow he still remains a compelling protagonist thanks to Schwartzman'sRushmore is funny, individual and highly influential in its style, seemingly inspiring just about every quirky school-based comedy of the 2000s, from Napoleon Dynamite to Juno. It's definitely Jason Schwartzman's film, and Max Fischer is one of the most annoying egotistical brats ever committed to celluloid, but somehow he still remains a compelling protagonist thanks to Schwartzman's innate charm and undeniable skill as a character actor. Bill Murray and Olivia Williams are also great, with Murray giving one of his best performances in a role that is both comic and quite tragic, and Williams giving the film its real heart and humanity. The script, by director Wes Anderson and his permanent collaborator and longtime friend Owen Wilson, is brilliantly energetic, sharp and gag-laden, as well as being rather tender in places, and is far more successful than their screenplay for their debut film, Bottle Rocket. Occasionally the extreme kookiness of the characters and plot (often one of the film's greatest strengths) causes the film to lose a bit of focus and pace, but this rarely detracts from the fun of the whole experience - Rushmore is a really great film, with a top-notch cast, great writing, humour and poignancy aplenty. Expand
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    This is a wonderful movie. Everyone in the world should see it because it's the best thing

10/10 and only just one of my all-time favorite films ever

-a
  5. Aug 27, 2010
    It's hard to resist smiling through this movie. It's rarely laugh-out-loud funny, but there's an undeniable intrigue through the oddity of it all, and that's what gives the movie its strength.
  6. CharlesF.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Mildly funny but overrated.
  7. Nov 2, 2010
    Being a fan of so many Wes Anderson movies and Bill Murray I felt obliged to watch this film. I have to say I was not as thrilled or I simply didn't enjoy this movie as much as his other works. That is not to say this movie is not good, it is. very good movie and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a cool movie to rent if bored one night.
  8. BillH.
    Mar 5, 2005
    One of the WORST films of the 90's. Poorly-scripted, awfully cast, lousily acted. TERRIBLY directed. If you like this film you just don't get it.
  9. Salin
    Sep 8, 2001
    I saw this movie for free...thank goodness I did. It was the most painful slow moving movie I've ever seen. This certainly taught me that critics picks can be very off.
  10. Sam
    Sep 24, 2001
    Best ever, especially Murray. Can't believe he didn't win an Oscar.
  11. AkhilK
    Oct 6, 2005
    Hilarious from beginning to end, Rushmore is a laugh riot that will make you hurl over with painful laughter. The critics' reviews almost always credit Murray for being a "scene stealer". But i think it's Jason Schwartzman that really steals the whole show. With his hilarious look and expert comedic timing, Jason Schwartzman essentially defined what stealth comedy can Hilarious from beginning to end, Rushmore is a laugh riot that will make you hurl over with painful laughter. The critics' reviews almost always credit Murray for being a "scene stealer". But i think it's Jason Schwartzman that really steals the whole show. With his hilarious look and expert comedic timing, Jason Schwartzman essentially defined what stealth comedy can accomplaish in a movie. Brilliant! Expand
  12. ChanM.
    Mar 5, 2005
    This movie is too annoying to watch again. Boring, sophomoric obnoxiousness!!!
  13. ChristopherJ.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Bursting with Wes Anderson flavors, this film stretches caricatures to their limits and then let's us see novel elongated image anew. The characters are believable and amusing nearly beginning to end. Ranked within Anderson's filmography, I'm putting this second--after Royal Tenenbaums.
  14. Matt
    May 11, 2002
    Nothing funny or charming about this movie - it's just boring.
  15. ChuckY.
    Jun 14, 2004
    This seems to be another artsy fartsy film. I thought that it was boring.
  16. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    For the life of me I can't understand what everybody saw in this movie. The hero that everyone finds so sympathetic just struck me as affectless and faintly creepy; his infatuation with a teacher was just absurd. Bill Murray had his moments but his character never quite came together. Maybe you just had to be there - a gawky scholarship student at a boys' prep school - for this For the life of me I can't understand what everybody saw in this movie. The hero that everyone finds so sympathetic just struck me as affectless and faintly creepy; his infatuation with a teacher was just absurd. Bill Murray had his moments but his character never quite came together. Maybe you just had to be there - a gawky scholarship student at a boys' prep school - for this movie to make any sense at all. I wasn't, and it didn't. Expand
  17. DaleC.
    Apr 3, 2001
    Wes Anderson has uncorked another great one here. When are we gonna get to see Jason Schartzman in something again? He rocked in this.
  18. MadelineS.
    Jan 10, 2003
    This is my favorite movie!!!
  19. ShawnA.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Amazingly witty little film, Bill Murray is a genius.
  20. RobertA.
    Apr 8, 2004
    Great! ^_^ one of the best movies that will never get old. ^_^ excellent! great movie ...do i smell oscar...lol no...it is 2004+ this movie came out in 1998. aww no oscar worthy yes indeed.
    Dec 7, 2001
    The finest film ever made.
  22. ToddB.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Wes Anderson's best film.
  23. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    My favorite movie of the 90's, I wanted to be Max when i walked out of the theater.
  24. CurtisS.
    Aug 8, 2005
    This ranks up at the top for me. Murray's speech to the class sets the tone for the movie and and the thoughtful script: "Take dead aim on the rich ones, get them in your cross hairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything, but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget."
  25. Bob
    Jun 4, 2001
    Excellent.
  26. MichaelF.
    Aug 26, 2001
    This is a brilliant film! Flawless!
  27. M.J.
    May 19, 2003
    I love this movie because of the very subtle comedy in it. The jokes are not set up and then shoved in your face like in other comedy movies, but instead lay within the characters personalities - which are strange but very realistic. Very dry, sometimes dark humor. I love it all.
  28. YoonC.
    Sep 23, 2003
    One of the most beautifully looney movies since Harold and Maude, Rushmore stages the life of a character whose overly imaginative life situates him in the fuzzy borderline between inspiration and madness. A great eccentric movie about eccentricity it's one of the few movies that convincingly portrays the artistic spirit.
  29. Twoedge
    Sep 27, 2003
    With shots right out of Barry Lyndon, this movie is a masterful example of filmmaking evoluton.
  30. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A lot of fun and just a great movie. Good acting.
  31. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    A great off-beat comedy. The reason it's so good is because things that are usually cut from a movie weren't in "Rushmore." Murray is great as the "bad/good guy," and the film works as a whole.
  32. Sam
    Sep 24, 2001
    Best ever, especially Murray. Can't believe he didn't win an Oscar.
  33. MitchH.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This is one of the funniest movies I have seen. It's fresh and it's the best you'll ever see Bill Murray.
  34. NicW.
    Apr 16, 2002
    One of the finest films of the 90's. Well-scripted, well cast, brilliantly acted. If you don't like this film you just don't get it.
  35. Faith,HopeAndMulroneycakes
    Jul 22, 2003
    Wes Anderson (and Owen Wilson) either work for you or they don't. It's as simple as that; it really is that simple. Having seen Rushmore, I'm becoming genuinely worried that I'm one of the ones for whom it doesn't work. I'm not sure what it was; but it didn't click for me, never became more than the sum of its parts. However, far be it from me to blame Wes Anderson (and Owen Wilson) either work for you or they don't. It's as simple as that; it really is that simple. Having seen Rushmore, I'm becoming genuinely worried that I'm one of the ones for whom it doesn't work. I'm not sure what it was; but it didn't click for me, never became more than the sum of its parts. However, far be it from me to blame the film; I knew beforehand that Anderson was "Marmite" (you love it or you hate it), and what the hell - its parts were all bloody good. I really hope the Royal Tenenbaums works better. I want to enjoy the Royal Tenenbaums. Oh, and Bottle Rocket. Collapse
  36. LawrenceP.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Pitch black comedy at it's very best.
  37. EricS.
    Mar 27, 2005
    Without a doubt one of the best films of the 90s. Wes Anderson has proven again and again his status as the best living American director. By juxtaposing outragious situations with real, tangible emotions, he says more about the human condition than Bergman realism ever could.
  38. J.RyanG.
    May 29, 2005
    Has a great big heart and a confused mind. Ah, youth!!
  39. Feb 22, 2014
    A very peculiar, and riveting, coming of age story by brilliant director Wes Anderson. He also wrote the script along with longtime friend, Owen Wilson.

Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray, with two excellent performances, breathe life into two very eccentric characters.

Should have watched this a lot sooner. Yet, better late than never.
  40. Jan 30, 2016
    The only good movie Wed Anderson has ever made. Everything after goes too far with the cartoonishness. Rushmore is the perfect blend of realism and character.
  41. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    The cynical Rushmore is hilarious and in some way depressing. Wes Anderson's movies live in this strange universe that are both as intriguing as they're odd
  42. Apr 30, 2013
    Rushmore is extremely funny at times and Anderson did a magnificent job directing, just as the cast did with their roles. At times, Max was certainly almost painfully awkward, but despite this, everything was good. Would definitely recommend.
  43. Apr 7, 2014
    Been a long times since I saw this and I bet I wouldn't think as highly of it now. Had it's moments, but overall kinda meh. I remember some things just didn't work. I did enjoy the female lead and some of Bill Murray's parts.
  44. Sep 28, 2014
    This is perhaps the most conventional of Anderson's films, but that might also make it his best. I can enjoy his overly stylized movies a great deal, but Rushmore never feels artificial or pretentious like those ones do. It's a little quirky but it's nowhere near the extreme end of the spectrum. It might also be Anderson's funniest movie. Why? It has the type of humor that pretty muchThis is perhaps the most conventional of Anderson's films, but that might also make it his best. I can enjoy his overly stylized movies a great deal, but Rushmore never feels artificial or pretentious like those ones do. It's a little quirky but it's nowhere near the extreme end of the spectrum. It might also be Anderson's funniest movie. Why? It has the type of humor that pretty much anyone can get. You don't need to be a jaded cinephile to get a few laughs out of it. Murray & Schwartzman also make nearly perfect frienemies. I always feel like Murray's usually wasted by Anderson, but here he's let out of his cage. It's not perfect. It could have had a few more funny scenes, and occasionally its tones don't meld entirely successfully. But this is a real comedy, and I can't think of another Anderson movie that feels so much like it takes place in real life rather than some twee fantasy land. Max Fisher might also be his funniest character. In his own mind he's a total bad a#s. In reality he's a dweeb, but you can't deny that he's a dweeb with guts and one vicious attitude. Expand
  45. Aug 22, 2015
    Rushmore is an interesting film. It is Wes Anderson's first big feature film (unless you want to count Bottle Rocket), so his signature quirky style isn't quite developed yet. However, there are elements present in the film that he later used more often in his movies. Consider this a pre-concert to his philharmonic debut.

As for the movie itself, it has a sweet story, and Jason

As for the movie itself, it has a sweet story, and Jason Schwartzman's character is one that we can relate to. The concept of Rushmore itself is a metaphor tossed around during the film, and the movie's themes of loyalty and friendship are well-received.
  46. Jul 23, 2014
    Rushmore is Wes Anderson at his best, The character of Max is very intelligent and loveable, Jason Schwartzman was very good at entering into the character, Bill Murray also puts on a very great performance. Great Writing from Anderson and Wilson

Weird, warm, monumentally entertaining comedy.
    It's the funniest, saddest performance of the year in a film of uncompromising wit and heart.
    Seems torn between conflicting possibilities: It's structured like a comedy, but there are undertones of darker themes, and I almost wish they'd allowed the plot to lead them into those shadows.