Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: November 23, 2012
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 86 Ratings
WATCH NOW
TVJerryJan 20, 2013
Marion Cotillard stars as a whale trainer who loses her legs (thanx to some impressive CGI) and Matthias Schoenaerts plays a street fighter (and father of a young boy) who can't seem to get his act together. This French import develops thruMarion Cotillard stars as a whale trainer who loses her legs (thanx to some impressive CGI) and Matthias Schoenaerts plays a street fighter (and father of a young boy) who can't seem to get his act together. This French import develops thru their relationship, which unfolds in typical European episodic style (less narrative, fewer words). The performances are solid, but it's never particularly moving or forceful. A well-told character study. Expand
Apemonkey666Jan 12, 2013
This is not a happy film. Marion's legs get chomped off by the Orcas she trained herself, lands in a wheelchair and befriends Schoenaerts who plays a rather unlikeable bouncer who does bare knuckle boxing fights with other degenerates forThis is not a happy film. Marion's legs get chomped off by the Orcas she trained herself, lands in a wheelchair and befriends Schoenaerts who plays a rather unlikeable bouncer who does bare knuckle boxing fights with other degenerates for cash money and also he has an annoying kid. Maybe it sounds funny in a certain way but it surely isn't. That being said, it's well acted, Marion realy seems to have no legs so kudos to the VFX guys and the cinematography is quite good but the film maybe somewhat overrated. It popped-up in nearly every best films of 2012 list, but it won't be in mine. Expand
theahsanhaseebJan 2, 2013
Honestly, I'm not impressed with this movie that much. And it may be the weakest contender in the Golden Globe Best Foreign Language Film category because other nominees are too damn brilliant. Marion Cotillard's performance is good, sheHonestly, I'm not impressed with this movie that much. And it may be the weakest contender in the Golden Globe Best Foreign Language Film category because other nominees are too damn brilliant. Marion Cotillard's performance is good, she portrays a damaged person wonderfully, all that inferiority complex and those expressions when people are showing pity on you, seem downright flawless at times. The plot of the film has been dealt with in so many films in different ways that it has lost all its freshness and originality and every time I watch a movie like Rust and Bone, I don't feel moved at all. It's very rare when it happens, like this year Amour did to me, now that's one hell of a film. Rust and Bone may not be a great drama but the performances are really great, I give them all the appreciation for performances. Expand
clayscottbrownJul 21, 2014
This is one of those films that grows on you, you know you sit there thinking what a lousy day today, drinking a beer and stuff. But as this film goes you’ll be getting into it, even though it’s not from the USA.
What happens to the ‘Chick’
What happens to the ‘Chick’ is pretty **** up! Boy, she is pretty, and he does like her, but he makes it clear he doesn’t have much of those, type feelings, that people on Television have… you know that sort that ‘feels’ things, that women go wild for. He’s a meat and potato type of guy, just wanting to **** without all the **** that traps a man for real.

He’s a pretty cool guy though, although I coulda’ killed this **** for hurting that pretty little boy… I probably woulda if I’d been there, and when that end part happens, man, I’m just glad things turned out!

Really surprised to hear State Trooper Written and performed by Bruce Springsteen in the film. Mr. Springsteen sure doesn’t allow his music in Films, very often, I was thinking that he must have liked this movie quite a lot to allow them his voice.

Well worth seeing.