8.3

1. TimW.
    Aug 24, 2002
    This movie is by far the worst film I've seen in 2002, and that includes "Gosford Park" - the murder-mystery where there's no murder for AN HOUR AND A HALF. Yes, I understood that it was a parody. Yes, I "got the message", and no, it wasn't frickin' amusing in the slightest. I'm telling you : SAVE YOUR MONEY. This piece of tripe isn't even worth a rental. This movie is by far the worst film I've seen in 2002, and that includes "Gosford Park" - the murder-mystery where there's no murder for AN HOUR AND A HALF. Yes, I understood that it was a parody. Yes, I "got the message", and no, it wasn't frickin' amusing in the slightest. I'm telling you : SAVE YOUR MONEY. This piece of tripe isn't even worth a rental. People are comparing this thing to "The Truman Show" and "Wag The Dog"? Truman wasn't all THAT good, and it can kick this movie's head in... and this film isn't fit to wipe the poop up from "Wag The Dog"'s butt... which is sad, because neither of those films were astounding. It gets half a star simply because Pacino's in it, and half a star because someone actually was able to get it made in the first place. The dialogue is awful, the acting is second-rate, and I'm sorry to say that Simone just ain't THAT good looking. There's also holes in this thing you could back the Death Star through. In short : this film is bad-bad, and not even so bad it's good, like, say, "Army of Darkness". Anyone who tells you differently is either lying, or a sadist who wishes to see you in great pain and suffering. Expand
  2. JohnY.
    Aug 25, 2002
    Not a masterpiece by any means, but an entertaining comedy. It's beautifully visualized, has some great moments, skilled acting, and an intriguing premise. But not as good as Niccol's "Gattaca" or "Truman Show."
  3. RyanM.
    Aug 27, 2002
    Though fairly flat towards the middle this film is anything but witless. It has a great idea and Pacino sets it on fire in his role as burnt out Hollywood director Viktor Taransky.
  4. RobertH.
    Aug 27, 2002
    For those of you who forgot how to do Algebra, permit me to reiterate an old formula: Movies Released in Aug. + Simone = 0 Simply awful!
  5. BobG.
    Aug 28, 2002
    I don't see how you can't like this movie. It IS a funny, dark comedy and smart. These critics who say it is light didn't see the same movie that I did. Pacino is great, as always, and it is a successful satire. Makes the viewer think (how novel!), which might be why it's getting such mixed reviews.
  6. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Good comic performance by Pacino and nice cameo by Ryder but the movie is predicated on the notion that all of humanity--from studio execs to mass audience--are really dumb and gullible. Would have worked better as nonsense comedy but strains toward satire and doesn't quite make it.
  7. AlexxaF.
    Jun 21, 2004
    This film was hilarious. Not to mention that most of the people were beautiful. In these ridiculous times of Britney Spears etc, this film fit right in.
  8. MattR.
    Aug 31, 2002
    Wonderful, quirky film that actually has a brain! Yes, it is funny in many parts, but the metafiction angle is where this work really shines. Truly a "postmodern" marvel in that it is conscious of its own artificiality, Simone is much better than heavy-handed, saccharine drivel like "Signs".
  9. David
    Sep 12, 2002
    This movie is awesome. Pacino's great in this movie and I'm falling for Rachel Roberts... Definitely worth your time & money. I'm waiting for the DVD :-)
  10. MikeD.
    Sep 14, 2002
    This was a bad movie...predicatable and unfunny at that.
  11. BunnyCrill
    Jul 21, 2003
    Give it a point for an original idea. Stop there. If you find yourself tied to a la-Z-boy with it playing at least beg to fast-forward through the dull and entirely predictable Pachino-Simone scenes. Ugh!
  12. DaveS.
    Aug 27, 2002
    sucked ass! Each time the plot turned it became more unbelievable and worse. Making matters worse, the movie is long, and every tedious moment of it is like there is a giant needle being stuck in your neck. To see it is a waste of life!
  13. Gregory
    Aug 27, 2002
    I wonder if some of the people commenting here even saw the movie, which was humorous and clever. It was released in August not because it was bad, but because New Line felt the general public was too stupid for intelligent cinema anymore. They were right.
  14. ChadS.
    Aug 28, 2002
    A studio film, being what it is in 2002, makes laughing a little difficult since the product Hollywood throws at us is no laughing matter. "Simone" finally comes to life when Victor(Al Pacino) tries to destroy his Frankenstein and is unsuccessful. Victor's waking nightmare mirrors how we often feel at the movies. "Simone" is a missed opportunity to really pin the tail on Hollywood. A studio film, being what it is in 2002, makes laughing a little difficult since the product Hollywood throws at us is no laughing matter. "Simone" finally comes to life when Victor(Al Pacino) tries to destroy his Frankenstein and is unsuccessful. Victor's waking nightmare mirrors how we often feel at the movies. "Simone" is a missed opportunity to really pin the tail on Hollywood. Instead Mr. Niccol casts intelligent actors like Catherine Keener & Evan Rachel Wood, then creates characters who can't figure out they're being played. The highwire act Victor performs to protect his secret is hard to swallow but fooling Elaine(Keener), the studio head, is the worst offense to this film's credibility. Niccol seems to be thumbing his nose at women in power. Expand
  15. TylerC.
    Jan 18, 2004
    I don't know why nobody seemed to really like this film. I know that the Simone voice was fakey but honestly I can see where the media can take something and make a big deal out of it. Take Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie. Their marriage was just as artificial as Simone and people still talk about it. Pacino is great in everything he does. I was just very entertained.

1. Such a tedious Hollywood farce, so unpleasantly glib and relentlessly shallow, that Pacino's excessive performance is not even the worst thing about it.
  2. That's not to say Simone doesn't offer a good time. Shove aside its self-righteous agenda and it's a deft kick, a light comedy whenever it's not trying to play heavy. And it's bolstered by Al Pacino in a lively performance.
    Writer-director Andrew Niccol -- gets this Hollywood satire off to a rousing start. But the middle flattens, despite Pacino firing on all cylinders. And the end just nose-dives into something silly and, worse, sentimental.