Sahara

8.1

1. Apr 29, 2011
    I *will not* see this film trashed! This was a ripper of an adventure that should have been much more successful than it was. Indiana Jones with a wry smile. James Bond with tongue very firmly-in-cheek. Dashing and goofy rolled into one. Perhaps audiences didn't quite know what to do with this film?? It just hit the balance perfectly, imho, between being a couple of adventurers who happenI *will not* see this film trashed! This was a ripper of an adventure that should have been much more successful than it was. Indiana Jones with a wry smile. James Bond with tongue very firmly-in-cheek. Dashing and goofy rolled into one. Perhaps audiences didn't quite know what to do with this film?? It just hit the balance perfectly, imho, between being a couple of adventurers who happen upon a dastardly plot and a pinch of a slightly daffy comedy. This was undeniably a cut-above most films of its ilk -- and how few there are. I consider it a real tragedy that it wasn't more successful and that Sahara 2 will never be made. Expand
  2. D.A.
    Jan 31, 2009
    When "It's a Wonderful Life" came out, it was considered a grand flop, as well! It took 30+ years - by sheer fluke of luck - for that beautiful film to be recognized as the incredible gem we all now know and love... and I do LOVE this movie!! Sahara has great humor and chemistry and it just works. Still, timing is everything, and it simply wasn't this movie's time, When "It's a Wonderful Life" came out, it was considered a grand flop, as well! It took 30+ years - by sheer fluke of luck - for that beautiful film to be recognized as the incredible gem we all now know and love... and I do LOVE this movie!! Sahara has great humor and chemistry and it just works. Still, timing is everything, and it simply wasn't this movie's time, unfortunately, because I would have loved to have seen McConaughey, Zahn, Macy, and Rainn Wilson work together again on this fantastic franchise. Expand
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    Sahara is one of the best adventure movies of the 2000's. The plot is utter popcorn nonsense but the film is fun and the action is exciting. Sahara is a good modern-day competitor to Indiana Jones and Romancing the Stone.
  4. Feb 4, 2011
    This movie is AWESOME! Here are 3 reasons why.
    1-A fun, creative, entertaining storyline that while not believable gave off an Indiana Jones aura that complimented it.
    2- Its FUNNY! This movie will have you laughing all the way through. All the main characters are quit lovable in their own individual way. 3- Originality, I don't think I had ever seen a movie quite like this one. The story
    This movie is AWESOME! Here are 3 reasons why.
    3- Originality, I don't think I had ever seen a movie quite like this one. The story is quite its own thing. My only issue was the lack of theme, I do not remember any sort of theme underlying the story, and thus a lack of reason to watch this movie for more than pure entertainment.

Overall this movie is AMAZING. Its no work of Shakespeare, but if you like a quality adventure you will love it.
  5. JoeB.
    Apr 6, 2005
    Great action flick.
  6. JimB.
    Sep 7, 2005
    Fluffy but fun, it was great to finally see a Cussler/Dirk Pittnovel on the Silver Screen.
  7. MarkH.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Cusler fans should really like this movie. I was very impressed with how well the three main characters maintained the book's excitement even after some of the sensationalism was toned down from the book. The only thing I really missed was the fort battle at the end. Definitely a must see for Cusler fans!
  8. AB
    Apr 7, 2005
    It was a good film, I don't understand why so many critics didn't like it.
  9. BillS.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Wow! Finally somebody makes an action film like they used to. It's got everything I like. Great stunts, funny lines, a cool mystery. Remember when movies used to be fun?
  10. AndyW.
    Apr 9, 2005
    I am a big fan of all the Cussler books, especially Sahara. I was very skeptical of the cast, but was surprised they pulled it off. Even Steve Zahn, who plays Al, was perfect! I had low expectations of this film, because Cussler had no rights to the script editing, so I was very happy to see they put most of the important parts of the book into the movie. I don
  11. SteveN.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Good fun, lots of action and the interaction between McConaughey and Zahn is great. Zahn plays a great sidekick. The whole thing is a bit over the top, but quite an enjoyable movie without the usual vulgarity common in many films.
  12. SusanM.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Good movie, very exciting and the setting is amazing. Matthew is a dream to watch, it's one of those movies that are just plain fun, the type that help you escape from reality for a little while!!
  13. PaulH-E
    Apr 8, 2005
    This is a fantastic movie! The cast are obviously having fun in their roles, and it carries through to the audience well. Matthew McConaughey plays Dirk Pitt exactly as Clive Cussler wrote him, an adventurer par excellence, while Steve Zahn is brilliant as his buddy, Al. The movie balances character, adventure and humour perfectly, with stunning locations, gorgeous cinematography and This is a fantastic movie! The cast are obviously having fun in their roles, and it carries through to the audience well. Matthew McConaughey plays Dirk Pitt exactly as Clive Cussler wrote him, an adventurer par excellence, while Steve Zahn is brilliant as his buddy, Al. The movie balances character, adventure and humour perfectly, with stunning locations, gorgeous cinematography and it's a joy to watch. Go see it! Expand
  14. TD
    May 1, 2005
    This movie is a lot of fun. You can relax, and somehow as crazy as some scenes are, you still think they can still happen. An awesome piece of entertainment. They all can't be thought filled and meaningful, but this isn't meant to be one to begin with. Mmm.. can't go wrong with Ms.Cruz either.. mmm. lol.
  15. ChristopherB
    May 2, 2005
    I still wonder how Dirk fell off the tower and managed to cling onto the mirrors and then climb back up. Ask Spiderman? Good film for a wet day. CB (age 7).
  16. BeauW.
    May 6, 2005
    I am amazed at the bad review this movie got from the Dallas Observer and Washington Post. What were they expecting? It was an action movie staring Mathew McConaughey. For what was expected of it, it was an entertaining movie.
  17. nickw.
    Jul 7, 2005
    This movie deserves an 8. it isnt meant to be moving or inspiring it is meant to be an exciting movie with plenty of action and a touch of humor.
  18. ChrisK.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Action, humor, great locations and wonderful visuals. Just a good movie for a weekend inside. Anyone who says that it is bad, is an independent film snob who didn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  19. MatthieuR.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Lots of fun, beautiful cinematography, and a wonderful soundtrack. This film captures the fun and adventure of Indiana Jones, and does it without taking itself too seriously. I am not a big Penelope Cruz or McConaughey fan, but they were good in these roles.
  20. SteveB
    Apr 18, 2005
    Fun movie. Hey, they can't all be Gladiator. Sometimes a good fun adventure is all we need, and this fulfills that.
  21. victoriat.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Fun popcorn film. Not too predictable and lots of fun parts. Steve Zahn was great, as was William Macy. McConaughey was good enough. Cruz was really light, but then, she was just eye candy. Good fun evening.
  22. LouieS.
    Apr 6, 2005
    I went into this movie with fairly low expectations (Penelope Cruz is a dream to look at but her "English" leaves much to be desired). However I came out having been fully entertained for 2 hours. Is it the next Indiana Jones franchise? No way but it was made well, performed well and was interesting. Will I like it as much the second time? Who can tell but I know the first time I had a I went into this movie with fairly low expectations (Penelope Cruz is a dream to look at but her "English" leaves much to be desired). However I came out having been fully entertained for 2 hours. Is it the next Indiana Jones franchise? No way but it was made well, performed well and was interesting. Will I like it as much the second time? Who can tell but I know the first time I had a ball. Another note...for people running around in the desert all the actors have STUNNINGLY white teeth...I wonder if Crest Whitestrips financed a bit of the movie. Expand
  23. Asrugan
    May 1, 2005
    Terrific "boxed" adventure movie, like something right out of the fourties. Pulp action at it's modern best.
  24. Bob
    May 21, 2005
    Lots of fun. Just sit back and enjoy with a tub of popcorn. Just don't take it seriously and you will have a good time.
  25. FredBob
    Oct 18, 2006
    It's pretty good, but has a couple of dragging spots.
  26. SteveP.
    Feb 10, 2006
    every once in a wile, we need to get away from all the political rederick, deep meaning, and hidden mediphors of the film industry. some times movie viewers just want a ride, a action packed, joke filled, little adventure. Films like indana jones, leathle wepons, and Sahara. it's not award winner, but it is fun to watch. i'm gald that not EVERYONE in hollywood a critic pleasing, every once in a wile, we need to get away from all the political rederick, deep meaning, and hidden mediphors of the film industry. some times movie viewers just want a ride, a action packed, joke filled, little adventure. Films like indana jones, leathle wepons, and Sahara. it's not award winner, but it is fun to watch. i'm gald that not EVERYONE in hollywood a critic pleasing, award winning MOVIE SNOBBS. and still have the capibility to make a good holsome adventure film for the family. see it! Collapse
  27. BigDogMahoney
    Apr 15, 2005
    EXCELLENT.
  28. JasonH
    Apr 15, 2005
    Fun....that's the best way to describe this flick. It doesn't make you think too hard and is great for a Friday night date.
  29. DavidA.
    Apr 17, 2005
    Not an incredible movie but it is fun and entertaining, it has some funny moments, this kind of a good movie to take somebody on a date with. It is actionpacked which adds to the entertaiment.
  30. VinceH.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Okay let me say this...I am a bigger snob about so-called "time-wasters" and "thrill rides" than anyone. I HATE when people call movies that absoltely are horrid and call them fun romps (After the Sunset, Van Helsing, etc.). Sahara is almost exactly the same experience as reading a decent action-paperback on a long cross-country trip. You finish it and were sufficiently entertained. This Okay let me say this...I am a bigger snob about so-called "time-wasters" and "thrill rides" than anyone. I HATE when people call movies that absoltely are horrid and call them fun romps (After the Sunset, Van Helsing, etc.). Sahara is almost exactly the same experience as reading a decent action-paperback on a long cross-country trip. You finish it and were sufficiently entertained. This is the best compliment I can give "Sahara". Breck Eisner keeps the movie going at a lively pace and the humor flows enough to keep the action scenes from becoming completely turgid (altough they do in the final overheated and overdone climax). Matthew McConaughey is a true movie star, even if he is just playing a slight variation on the cliched "romantic adventurer". The movie is easily 15-20 min too long at best and as I said earlier, the final action scene starts out campy fun but deters into a huge silly bore that had me checking my watch more than once. On the flipside Eisner stages some fun scenes (a chase on speedboats, a shootout by a well, a very exciting fight on top of a extemely high building) and the very well cast-cast keep the Cussler-bad dialogue at least bearable. Overall there are worse ways to spend 2-hours at the multiplex, just don't expect Indiana Jones 4. Expand
  31. Roy
    Apr 24, 2005
    Entertaining ride. Didn't really think much of the Cruz character, but enjoyed Zahn and Macy.
  32. BenR.
    Jun 29, 2005
    The movie is not anythign particularly new, but the storyline and the acting are nothing to particularly spit on. The small touch of comedy also gives this a little bit of a push that makes it a decent movie.
  33. JustinH.
    Jun 29, 2005
    I thought the movie was good.
  34. JustinC.
    Jul 19, 2005
    The movie is good but just a little long.
  35. JesseS.
    Jun 24, 2008
    This movie was awesome! and I don't a crap about what you other scumsuckers say about this movie!
    Nov 12, 2005
    A fun adventure that's worth a ride, but it OD's on improbability every now and then.

1. Action films can't be this consistently absurd, can't paint their heroes into such dangerous corners, from which only cocktails of luck and divine intervention can save them, over and over. It's a bad-faith bargain with the audience and bad storytelling.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    About as good as a big, stupid American action movie can be without ever being anything better than a big, stupid American action movie.
  3. Any movie starring Penelope Cruz or William H. Macy can't be all bad. And Sahara, which stars both Penelope Cruz and William H. Macy, proves the point: It isn't all bad.