6.5

1. Jan 5, 2011
    This movie has alot of action but it wasn't as good as i expected. I thought that this was going be one of her best movie, well i was wrong. This movie isnt that good. It has a lot of action but it wasnt action that caught my attention and I knew what was going happen since the beginning. The screenplay was okay. They could have did a better job on it. I love Jolie but this movie wasntThis movie has alot of action but it wasn't as good as i expected. I thought that this was going be one of her best movie, well i was wrong. This movie isnt that good. It has a lot of action but it wasnt action that caught my attention and I knew what was going happen since the beginning. The screenplay was okay. They could have did a better job on it. I love Jolie but this movie wasnt near one of her best. Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    There was a lot of action, as well as twist and turns. Angelina Jolie is a tough ass, as usual, but while salt was definitely entertaining to watch, the storyline was a dry, done, and out-dated. I mean Russian spies in 2010?!? Come on... It left a lot to be desired.
  3. Feb 19, 2011
    The entire movie builds up to the final twist ending that offers very little payoff. The movie is simply not enjoyable. It started out promising, and had the potential to be so much more, but really falls short. It has a few decent scenes, but it's definitely not worth your time.
  4. Jan 21, 2011
    This is my first review for metacritic, so I'm sorry it's negative. This movie made me feel old.. In the first 40 minutes I wondered what the point of all this running about shouting was. It all just seemed a bit silly and pointless. In fact, frighteningly it reminded me of a Bruckheimer film where running about, shouting, leaping onto and off things with lots of explosions and impossiblyThis is my first review for metacritic, so I'm sorry it's negative. This movie made me feel old.. In the first 40 minutes I wondered what the point of all this running about shouting was. It all just seemed a bit silly and pointless. In fact, frighteningly it reminded me of a Bruckheimer film where running about, shouting, leaping onto and off things with lots of explosions and impossibly gorgeous women are stock in trade. Although I have never been a Jolie fan particularly, I kind of thought she was respected as a serious actress. Here, she looks like Megan Fox's auntie. This movie may have salt but I guess I was looking for a little balsamic dressing. Expand
  5. Apr 15, 2011
    I've not HATED a movie soo much in a long... Strike that... EVER! My intelligence was under as'salt from the first to last frame. I will admit that my inability to supend disbelief when my b.s. meter is pegged is my hang up but, I was insulted for having seen it. What a steaming pile.
  6. Feb 10, 2011
    One of the worst action movies I have ever seen. It was like watching very cheap old Hong Kong made fight "masterpieces". I was laughing at myself at the end that i waisted my time and money for this. No Plot no engaging acting not even little humor absolute rubbish from start till finish. The only puzzling is such a high score in both Critics and Users reviews. For those how actuallyOne of the worst action movies I have ever seen. It was like watching very cheap old Hong Kong made fight "masterpieces". I was laughing at myself at the end that i waisted my time and money for this. No Plot no engaging acting not even little humor absolute rubbish from start till finish. The only puzzling is such a high score in both Critics and Users reviews. For those how actually understand the art of movie making DO NOT BOTHER. Have a good lunch instead. Expand
  7. Aug 16, 2010
    The worst movie I've seen in a long time. The script isn't well thought out it's extremely sporadic at the end you just dont even end up caring. This movie is poorly executed how can somebody take that much of a beating without a scratch? me and my friend were the only people in the movie theater to see this and we both can agree it was a major waste of time and money.
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    This is the most ridiculous movie of all times, is the worst action movie that I've seen. Simply it is so absurd, so meaningless, so stupid. I wasted my time and my money
  9. Aug 26, 2010
    A film that in the middle makes you to watch the clock all time does not worth the money or the time.
    I was hoping this movie not to be as bad as most movies this year, at least not boring. But it is. Last half of the movie is stupid, I would have cut the script just in the middle after the church or a bit later.
  10. Aug 22, 2010
    All movies need to be reviewed relative to their prospective audience. If one reviews "White Chicks" for example, one has to be aware of the movie's intended purpose and place in the minds of its audience. With that in mind, even as the archetype summer blockbuster with a shallow plot and enough explosions to run a demolitions company; Salt was deliriously unbelievable verging on theAll movies need to be reviewed relative to their prospective audience. If one reviews "White Chicks" for example, one has to be aware of the movie's intended purpose and place in the minds of its audience. With that in mind, even as the archetype summer blockbuster with a shallow plot and enough explosions to run a demolitions company; Salt was deliriously unbelievable verging on the parodistic. There so many better summer movies to see, explosion and shallow plot and everything. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2010
    At the very least you can count on Ms Jolie's beauty to get you through a film, right? Sadly as it was with Tomb Raider her looks alone could not do the trick. Instead the close shots of her seemed patronizing with respect to her cardboard acting. Everyone in this film was cut in 2D and I found very little engagement. That's just the acting, the plot and action sequences I thought wereAt the very least you can count on Ms Jolie's beauty to get you through a film, right? Sadly as it was with Tomb Raider her looks alone could not do the trick. Instead the close shots of her seemed patronizing with respect to her cardboard acting. Everyone in this film was cut in 2D and I found very little engagement. That's just the acting, the plot and action sequences I thought were even worse. Don't get me wrong, I love suspending my reality for a few hours, but this is best done when they have engaged me in a story where the people's emotions are related to the protagonist's plight. I can turn my brain off like the rest of them and watch a summer popcorn flick and have very little standards in this regards. That said Salt did not even make that mark.

I suspect the studio are angling to start this into a franchise ala the Bourne films. Its a predictable money angle based on Jolie's good name (for now). Be warned.
  12. Aug 28, 2010
    I did not like this movie. It was unbelievable in so many instances. There was very few parts of this movie I enjoyed. If you want to make an action movie way over the top stop using aging stars a perfect example was Die Hard 4. I read these reviews but some how don't believe it deserves the score. I like Jolie but believe all her films are rubbish (Except original sin back in the day.)I did not like this movie. It was unbelievable in so many instances. There was very few parts of this movie I enjoyed. If you want to make an action movie way over the top stop using aging stars a perfect example was Die Hard 4. I read these reviews but some how don't believe it deserves the score. I like Jolie but believe all her films are rubbish (Except original sin back in the day.) Mindless unbelievable action and that ending.... Expand
  13. Sep 6, 2010
    Despite Roger Ebert saying that this film has large enough holes in the plot that you could drive the whole movie through them, metacritic assigned his review a score of 100. Maybe this can give you an idea of why this whale of a film has achieved its metacriic score of 65.

Unfortunately there are several problems with this film. The first of those is that it is trying to be too many things to too many people, ultimately failing flat on its face as a result. After wasting two hours of my life watching Salt I still couldn't work out if it was an Action film, a suspense drama, a Cold War alternative ending, a story of death and grief and loss and the ways humans react to these, or a film with smarts and brains...

Further hamstringing Jolie's valiant attempts to elevate this film from mediocrity with a determined acting performance is the scripts completely implausible premise and plot, lack of intelligence and utterly underwhelming character development, all of which led me to care little for the outcome of the films central protagonists. In trying to outsmart itself and be too many things to too many people Salt comes off as one of Jolie's more forgettable films in the last few years. Forget the metacritic score of 65 and spend your money on something better.
  14. Jan 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I simply can't believe the favourable reviews for this derivitive Female-Bourne nonsense. The stunts, fights and set pieces are utterly ludicrous, as is the plot - none of which makes ANY sense if you think about it for more than a minute (an example: we are expected to believe that a woman will watch the man she loves die horribly in order to maintain her 'cover' when she has within her power the ability to take apart methodically the men who are holding him hostage and cover her tracks in the process? Another example: Salt displays Bourne's preternatural foresight, but didn't manage to see ANY of this coming until she was 'activated'/set-up?). Obviously the filmakers have circumvented this by simply not giving the audience an opportunity to think about the plot by freneticly jumping from one death-defying cliff-edge punch-up to another for nearly two hours. This is a film that requires you to simply turn off your brain as we are expected to believe that an anorexic-looking waif of woman can outwit the Russians, the Americans and shoot, karate-chop and punch her way through what, at times, seems like the entire US governmental apparatus, intelligence services and military complex. This film is so over-the-top it's dissappeared into the stratosphere - but not in a good way. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2010
    Salt's basic and predictable plot really undermines the film's potential to do more with its lead role, Angelina Jolie. Though the star gave it all she got playing a Russian spy, she wasn't enough to save the film from its wrong pacing style and ridiculously bad plot. Being trained as a Russian spy since she was a little girl, Evenlyn Salt lived a secret second life all this time. She'sSalt's basic and predictable plot really undermines the film's potential to do more with its lead role, Angelina Jolie. Though the star gave it all she got playing a Russian spy, she wasn't enough to save the film from its wrong pacing style and ridiculously bad plot. Being trained as a Russian spy since she was a little girl, Evenlyn Salt lived a secret second life all this time. She's married and has a dog. But she worked in the CIA, so I guess that's something. Given that Angelina Jolie played the role, we have high expectations that she'd pull it off with lots of dramatic scenes. And that's exactly what we got. From the moment that she was being tortured in North Korea to the moment when she killed her spy partner, she was great. But given the fact that every spy movies starts with an undercover life and being captured at the end, Salt adds nothing new to the genre. Expand
  16. Jun 6, 2011
    Yuck. Ebert says it has holes big enough to fly a 747 through (or something like that) and still loved it? The execution (pun intended) of the plot is so inane it's insane. Jolie (how could anyone that beautiful be less beautiful as a blonde?) is, what, the Terminatrix? The Bionic **** Goddess of Geopolitical Revenge? Please please please let there not be a Salt Two!
  17. May 4, 2013
    Jolie kicks everybody 's ass with her 50kg/110 pounds, while doing totally impossible stunts. That sums it all up...Oh was there a script somewhere? I did not notice.
  18. Sep 30, 2011
    I was not moved by the fact it was Jolie, and without that care - this movie was not what I had expected when I heard the movie was about espionage. The movie would have been better had they avoided the love aspect. Jolie is not the person for this movie. The movie became overly unrealistic.
  19. Oct 9, 2010
    "Salt is a sophisticated mess , it tries to hard to be the next Bourne movie , its clichéd , unrealistic , and plausible. Angelina Jolie gives it her best but her best is just not good enough. I Enjoyed the last 20mins then the entire 1hr 40min movie ...." .. C-
  20. Jun 28, 2011
    Salt tries hard to be a action packed government conspiracy movie with tons of plot twists, but in the end fails do to the fact that I really never cared about anything that was going on, the plot is laughable at best and completely predictable, and the characters are downright brain dead, and the action scenes which are the best part of this movie end up being nothing we haven't seenSalt tries hard to be a action packed government conspiracy movie with tons of plot twists, but in the end fails do to the fact that I really never cared about anything that was going on, the plot is laughable at best and completely predictable, and the characters are downright brain dead, and the action scenes which are the best part of this movie end up being nothing we haven't seen before, honestly I really can't find anything that makes this movie worth your time, you can safely pass on this one without a second thought. Expand
  21. Feb 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is pretty strange... too strange for me. And, well yes of course, the Russians are still the enemies. A very unbelievable movie, 2 stars for a little bit of action, a little bit of originality (yes the evil win... wait, do they?) and a little bit of Angelina... Expand
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    Imagine Bourne Identity with a female lead and poorly done and that's what Salt is. The acting is weak, The plot is painfully generic, and the action fails to entertain. It's just a real stupid movie.
  23. Aug 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I tried to enjoy this one, but all I got from this movie was a bunch of questions -- really, a lot of them. (i.e. Wasn't there a better way to "activate" Salt other than Orlov turning himself in and telling the truth to CIA? If Salt was supposedly (as the movie tries to make us believe) set up by this Russian guy, why does she try so hard to get away, making her look even more suspicious? What does her husband have anything to do with the "Russian setup"? Wouldn't it be easier for Salt to "assasinate" Russian president if they kept it a secret? Did the Russian president agree to be killed for the whole plot? Did Salt know that Ted was a sleeping agent like her? If not, what was the whole point of sneaking into the Whitehouse bunker when she changed her mind? Why does Salt go so far to kill Ted when the president is alive? Why would Russia want to bring US down in these days, when cold war has been over for decades?[Let's save this one if I'm bringing in too much reality into movies] Is agnt Peabody the only one who can possibly know that Salt saved the day? Why does Salt have to go through dark knight thing when there is enough evidence --fingerprint at Orlov's-- and she can prove she did what she meant to do?) It seems to me, the story was squeezed and twisted way too much just for the sake of looking cool. Expand
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Salt is a mess. The plot is confusing and flawed and the characters go undeveloped. In this sort of film, you need to root for the hero, Jolie in this case, and I found myself not caring.
  25. Feb 14, 2015
    Stupid movie that makes absolutely no sense. AJ is unbelievable as a Russian sleeper agent. Its a movie for joe public and people who are politically ignorant. Its basically AJ running through different scenes killing people or running away from explosions
  26. Dec 23, 2013
    this is a total piece of crap with one of the worst final ever,how the angelina jolie acept this paper,this movie is a total cliche,at least it isn't a so patriot movie as i thought.
  27. Jan 18, 2015
    Mindless generic movie that got more and more annoying with each scene. The plot, characters, acting, stunts and fight scenes were ludicrously stupid and unlikable. Angelina Jolie beats & kills American & Russian agents/police like a T-X character. Nothing in the story is believable or makes sense and Earth to Hollywood, the Cold War ended years ago.

Salt is a movie constantly painting itself into corners then tromping out with arbitrary twists and action distractions.
  2. Salt knows how to stay one step ahead of you in devious, if jaw-droppingly contrived, ways. The movie is fun, dammit. So who cares, really, if it's trash?
    It's still a short-enough time-killer of a thriller -- not the worst of the summer, but a long way from the current state of the art.