6.5

1. Mar 22, 2014
    Salt is completely implausible, yet it must be said that Jolie plays her role almost perfect. The nature of the film and the way the story unfolds itself makes you want to watch this movie more than once.
  2. Dec 23, 2013
    this is a total piece of crap with one of the worst final ever,how the angelina jolie acept this paper,this movie is a total cliche,at least it isn't a so patriot movie as i thought.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    Angelina Jolie is an interesting study and I believe she belongs to that class
    of woman actress who wishes to act out their torture fantasies and she seeks out parts like these.

I can reference the flicks “Mr. Sardonicus” where Lorna Hanson removes her shoes and stockings and bares her feet for leeches, both Doris Von Danwitz and Gaby Fuchs in “Mark of the devil”, where Gaby Fuchs is
    stretched out on a rack totally nude and has the soles of her bare feet scorched.

As Doris Von Danwitz also has the same fate of the rack stretching her albeit with a dress on but having her high arch soles roasted by a red hot branding iron, to the tune of her screaming. I’d like to know what motivates women to do this. To twist men out?
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    Imagine Bourne Identity with a female lead and poorly done and that's what Salt is. The acting is weak, The plot is painfully generic, and the action fails to entertain. It's just a real stupid movie.
  5. Aug 9, 2013
    Salt is a decent action film, similar to the Bourne series. But despite the action-packed blockbuster thriller feel, it lacks polish when it comes to story and characters. It's like the entire film changes in the last 20 minutes, and it doesn't end properly at all. Throughout the film you never really understand whether the main character is "the goodie" or "the baddie". There was a lot of potential for a good story given the premise, but it was a missed opportunity. Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2013
    This is an enjoyable movie, it is thrilling throughout with good action scenes (thanks to a usual good performance by Angelina Jolie) The plot is also very interesting and has a satisfying ending.
  7. May 4, 2013
    Jolie kicks everybody 's ass with her 50kg/110 pounds, while doing totally impossible stunts. That sums it all up...Oh was there a script somewhere? I did not notice.
  8. Feb 24, 2013
    There was a lot of action, as well as twist and turns. Angelina Jolie is a tough ass, as usual, but while salt was definitely entertaining to watch, the storyline was a dry, done, and out-dated. I mean Russian spies in 2010?!? Come on... It left a lot to be desired.
  9. Dec 8, 2012
    This movie really surprised me; it's much better than what I thought it would be. I went into this movie not really knowing what it would be like, but it turned out to be great. This is an action packed thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Is it predictable? A little, but there are just enough surprises to keep you thinking. It's not the most realistic story, but it works for the type of movie it is. Many people probably will rip all over this film because it's not perfect, but it does it's job, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is more than entertaining! I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2012
    Salt is a mess. The plot is confusing and flawed and the characters go undeveloped. In this sort of film, you need to root for the hero, Jolie in this case, and I found myself not caring.
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    This movie has so unbelievably many turns of events and thats what makes it so great. It's illogical and makes many of the usual hollywood action movie mistakes, but the surprising thing is: no one is who you expect them to be here. And that makes it worth watching!
  12. Aug 27, 2012
    'Salt' is a very fun movie as long as you ignore logic and the laws of physics and just settle down for a fun ride. Even though the film feels serious in tone and doesn't follow the over-the-top formula that films like 'Wanted' do, there is still a lot of entertainment value to be had here as long as you know what you're expecting.
  13. Aug 25, 2012
    This film was average at best. It had a nice ending and for that I gave it a positive score rather than a mixed one but really this film is mostly the same as nearly every other espionage based action film.
  14. Aug 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I tried to enjoy this one, but all I got from this movie was a bunch of questions -- really, a lot of them. (i.e. Wasn't there a better way to "activate" Salt other than Orlov turning himself in and telling the truth to CIA? If Salt was supposedly (as the movie tries to make us believe) set up by this Russian guy, why does she try so hard to get away, making her look even more suspicious? What does her husband have anything to do with the "Russian setup"? Wouldn't it be easier for Salt to "assasinate" Russian president if they kept it a secret? Did the Russian president agree to be killed for the whole plot? Did Salt know that Ted was a sleeping agent like her? If not, what was the whole point of sneaking into the Whitehouse bunker when she changed her mind? Why does Salt go so far to kill Ted when the president is alive? Why would Russia want to bring US down in these days, when cold war has been over for decades?[Let's save this one if I'm bringing in too much reality into movies] Is agnt Peabody the only one who can possibly know that Salt saved the day? Why does Salt have to go through dark knight thing when there is enough evidence --fingerprint at Orlov's-- and she can prove she did what she meant to do?) It seems to me, the story was squeezed and twisted way too much just for the sake of looking cool. Expand
  15. May 17, 2012
    Salt is one of my favorite action films Angelina Jolie of course, delivered a powerful performance and Liev Schreiber also did well in his role. Salt had me on the edge of my seat when I seen it in theaters. The rest of the audience also loved it at the end there was even some applauds. Hope to see a sequel someday!
  16. Jan 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I simply can't believe the favourable reviews for this derivitive Female-Bourne nonsense. The stunts, fights and set pieces are utterly ludicrous, as is the plot - none of which makes ANY sense if you think about it for more than a minute (an example: we are expected to believe that a woman will watch the man she loves die horribly in order to maintain her 'cover' when she has within her power the ability to take apart methodically the men who are holding him hostage and cover her tracks in the process? Another example: Salt displays Bourne's preternatural foresight, but didn't manage to see ANY of this coming until she was 'activated'/set-up?). Obviously the filmakers have circumvented this by simply not giving the audience an opportunity to think about the plot by freneticly jumping from one death-defying cliff-edge punch-up to another for nearly two hours. This is a film that requires you to simply turn off your brain as we are expected to believe that an anorexic-looking waif of woman can outwit the Russians, the Americans and shoot, karate-chop and punch her way through what, at times, seems like the entire US governmental apparatus, intelligence services and military complex. This film is so over-the-top it's dissappeared into the stratosphere - but not in a good way. Expand
  17. Jan 20, 2012
    Sorti en même temps que Night and Day, Salt déçoit autant que le film avec Tom Cruise. Pourquoi? Tout simplement par le fait que ce film sonne le déjà-vu, chaque rebondissement étant peu imposant car étant prévisible au possible. Et le "pire", c'est que le film de Philip Noyce repose essentiellement sur les épaules d'Angelina Jolie, nous servant une mise en scène assez plate et un scénario aussi sobre que brouillon. Mais il faut bien reconnaître que Salt se montre bien plus dynamique et réussi question action que Night and Day. Et pour cause, nous avons là un film sans temps mort qui enchaîne des séquences énergiques mille fois vues mais toujours aussi divertissantes à regarder. Salt : un film sans prétention, vite oubliable, qui se laisse néanmoins regarder sans déplaisir. Mais il est vrai qu'Angelina Jolie méritait bien plus... Expand
  18. Oct 13, 2011
    Salt has enough working for it to be watchable and entertaining. There is a lot of far fetched nonsense that makes up much of the action and drama, the story is ridiculously implausible and you'll have to turn your brain off to enjoy (which is not an excuse for an average movie). Angelina has never really impressed me in her movies and while the movie is not bad, is still not intelligent enough for me to take her seriously. The movie is what it is, and is worth the time, but it wont make a lasting impression. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    Like "Jerry Maguire", "Salt" could have been the usual blockbuster with a obvious script/formula if it wasn't for Angelina Jolie's surprisingly good performance.
  20. Sep 30, 2011
    I was not moved by the fact it was Jolie, and without that care - this movie was not what I had expected when I heard the movie was about espionage. The movie would have been better had they avoided the love aspect. Jolie is not the person for this movie. The movie became overly unrealistic.
  21. Aug 6, 2011
    As a fan of James Bond, The Bourne series and other well-written, acted and action-packed spy thrillers, Salt definitely ranks up there. While it isn't the strongest performance ever by Angelina, I'm not sure who else is suited for this kind of character. I've heard they are making a sequel and are trying hard to get her to return to the role. I hope they work it out. I enjoyed the grit and action so much in this film that I'm hooked enough for at least one more movie. Expand
  22. Aug 3, 2011
    SALT: basically the female Jason Bourne? Quite possibly actually. Angelina Jolie delivers a very solid and action-packed performance as Evelyn Salt, a CIA Agent who goes on the run after she is accused by a Russian defector as being a Russian spy. It's nothing ground-breaking as we have seen this before but its very entertaining as there is some genuinely incredible action sequences. The story is somewhat confusing at times to say the least yet somehow intriguing as you try to work out just who Salt is. The area where Salt does deliver is in the entertainment. Whether its the action sequences or the element of surprise and excitement it is a throughly watchable film. As i've said before SALT is certainly nothing fresh its been done before, Bourne anyone? Ofcourse the intriguing element is the story and background and that makes it ever so slightly different but also given the fact its a female its a very good alternative from the macho, muscle assassin on the run. All in all Salt is a hugely enjoyable film with plenty on offer and while the story is far from straightforward its certainly worth a watch plus with the way the movie ends I think its natural to assume this isn't the last time we'll be seeing Angelina Jolie as Salt, this movie may well kickstart another franchise! Expand
  23. Jul 29, 2011
    Salt is a great movie. It's full of action sequences, interesting story and phenomenal acting by Angelina Jolie. The plot itself takes a turn once or twice and keeps you hooked until the end. If you have to compare this film to any other out there, I'd say 'The Bourne Identity' gets real close. Though if I have to name anything that's negative, well... it's a movie you watch once... after that the fun is gone since this movie is based on surprises and excitement only. Also it's nothing new, we've seen films like this before.... but don't get me wrong, 'SALT' is still very enjoyable. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2011
    A fun action flick that is fairly strong in storytelling, but it has more holes than a sponge. Jolie exhibits nothing new here, and we are treated with watching her character evade inescapable capture and detainment. Yes, I was rolling my eyes here and there, but I can't say I wasn't entertained. The film has echoes of The Long Kiss Goodnight, but unfortunately it does not fare as well as the aforementioned. It's perfectly aligned for a sequel and I might see it, but if it is entitled "Pepper", I won't exactly be the first in line at the theatre. Expand
  25. Jun 28, 2011
    Salt tries hard to be a action packed government conspiracy movie with tons of plot twists, but in the end fails do to the fact that I really never cared about anything that was going on, the plot is laughable at best and completely predictable, and the characters are downright brain dead, and the action scenes which are the best part of this movie end up being nothing we haven't seen before, honestly I really can't find anything that makes this movie worth your time, you can safely pass on this one without a second thought. Expand
  26. Jun 25, 2011
    A well acted and entertaining movie if you can put aside the obvious plot holes, the outlandish acts the main character can seem to perform and still try not be too disappointed by the obvious twist which you see coming from a mile away.
  27. Jun 6, 2011
    Yuck. Ebert says it has holes big enough to fly a 747 through (or something like that) and still loved it? The execution (pun intended) of the plot is so inane it's insane. Jolie (how could anyone that beautiful be less beautiful as a blonde?) is, what, the Terminatrix? The Bionic **** Goddess of Geopolitical Revenge? Please please please let there not be a Salt Two!
  28. Apr 15, 2011
    I've not HATED a movie soo much in a long... Strike that... EVER! My intelligence was under as'salt from the first to last frame. I will admit that my inability to supend disbelief when my b.s. meter is pegged is my hang up but, I was insulted for having seen it. What a steaming pile.
  29. Mar 20, 2011
    Great action sequences and sound work, but the story was nothing fascinating. It is worth seeing and is certainly an enjoyable two hours, but don't expect anything more than a fun thriller.
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    Salt was a very exciting action packed movie. The storyline has been done before but they added details and twists that made it interesting. The only negative thing was that it was unrealistic in some parts, such as when she escapes from the CIA building and her ability to beat the crap out of 20 or 30 professionally trained soldiers. I understand it's a movie but it could've been a bit more realistic. Expand
  31. Feb 27, 2011
    Whilst the story flies in every direction it can think of, this is a fun and entertaining thriller that fits right into the popcorn evening we all love to have.
  32. Feb 25, 2011
    I really liked this, one of the better action movies I've seen in a very long time. Angelina Jolie is great in her role as Evelyn Salt, and the film leaves you wanting more! A sequel please!!
  33. Feb 23, 2011
    First before I review this movie can someone tell me who's team she's on. I'm sure she switched sides at least ten times during the movie, which in case you were wondering made the movie a little confusing. The action I like and at least she always switched sides with a bang or a assassinated leader. Although I'm afraid they made a mistake trying to make another movie. First of all what is the title going to be? Pepper? Rosemary? and second I'm not sure if I can stand any more quadruple agents. Expand
  34. Feb 19, 2011
    The entire movie builds up to the final twist ending that offers very little payoff. The movie is simply not enjoyable. It started out promising, and had the potential to be so much more, but really falls short. It has a few decent scenes, but it's definitely not worth your time.
  35. Feb 17, 2011
    Salt was my favorite action movie in the past few years. Action packed from start to finish with some interesting twists. Angelina was suited perfectly for the role and excelled. It was great to see a female lead in a somewhat Bond style thriller. Jolie showed her grit and knack for handling danger similar to her days as Lara Croft.
  36. Feb 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is pretty strange... too strange for me. And, well yes of course, the Russians are still the enemies. A very unbelievable movie, 2 stars for a little bit of action, a little bit of originality (yes the evil win... wait, do they?) and a little bit of Angelina... Expand
  37. Feb 10, 2011
    One of the worst action movies I have ever seen. It was like watching very cheap old Hong Kong made fight "masterpieces". I was laughing at myself at the end that i waisted my time and money for this. No Plot no engaging acting not even little humor absolute rubbish from start till finish. The only puzzling is such a high score in both Critics and Users reviews. For those how actually understand the art of movie making DO NOT BOTHER. Have a good lunch instead. Expand
  38. Feb 2, 2011
    Fast, edgy, tense, amazing!!! This film was an absolute knock out ! Angelina Jolie was the perfect choice for this film. I a lot people I know complain because they that this film was unrealistic, but I say boo to them because this film lived up to the hype in my opinion and kept me on the the edge of my seat!!!

Acting: Good
    Storyline: Great Characters: Excellent
  39. Jan 30, 2011
    Bourne has a lot to answer for, this time its a good thing, as-long as you don't stop to think about what is happening (in which case you will quickly figure it all out) even the plot matches the "top shelf" action which only enters the ridiculous once or twice...
  40. Lyn
    Jan 23, 2011
    Wildly improbable plot, wildly improbable action sequences, wildly improbable wigs on Angelina Jolie. Still, kind of enjoyable. Jolie puts a lot into these action roles and her face, as always, is mesmerizing.
  41. Jan 22, 2011
    wow what a movie. great action, plot, acting just wow. The backflashes i though where corny and could have been made better though. This one movie i wish they will make into a franchise because i will definaly be in line to see the next one and the next one after that.
  42. Jan 21, 2011
    This is my first review for metacritic, so I'm sorry it's negative. This movie made me feel old.. In the first 40 minutes I wondered what the point of all this running about shouting was. It all just seemed a bit silly and pointless. In fact, frighteningly it reminded me of a Bruckheimer film where running about, shouting, leaping onto and off things with lots of explosions and impossibly gorgeous women are stock in trade. Although I have never been a Jolie fan particularly, I kind of thought she was respected as a serious actress. Here, she looks like Megan Fox's auntie. This movie may have salt but I guess I was looking for a little balsamic dressing. Expand
  43. Jan 19, 2011
    I am an avid Angelina Jolie fan, but this film's plot was ridiculous and poorly executed. I actually fell asleep while watching this and woke up toward the end. The best element of Salt is Angelina Jolie's amazing stunts. Otherwise skip this one.
  44. Jan 12, 2011
    The more we run, the more they chase. It is what happenned to Evelyn Salt. Since Mat Damon BOURNE IDENTITY (2002) which is using more advance believability approach in runaway espionage tale, now everybody wants to be Bourne by running, jumping, shooting, fighting, car-chase, motorcycle-chase, you-name-it and it all happenned in one action-packed. Couple examples which using the similar patterns are: John Travolta FROM PARIS WITH LOVE (2009), Tom Cruise KNIGHT AND DAY (2010), Ashton Kutcher KILLERS (2010) and now it is Jolie turn. The story follows Evelyn Salt (Jolie) who has been instant-accused as a Russian spy who may be able to jeopardizing the national security. The Director is Phillip Noyce, the man behind THE BONE COLLECTOR in 1999 (also with Jolie). The camera angle is dynamic, especially in action sequences. Yes, the movie is full of twists and turns, even sometimes the story just go by itself without proper explanations, leaving too many questions and missing links. That is the uniqueness of the plots! The story is intriguing. It is successful to make us stay put in our seat by expecting what is going to happen next. To let Jolie fuses into action adventure like thiz is like releasing the fish into water, it is what she does best. Jolie is still the focus, shines among her mysterious partner (Liev Schreiber) and plain-straight boss (Chiwetel Eijiofor). If someone complains about how absurd thiz narratives has become, it is simply arguable and it all happens to every modern action movies. One thing for sure, Jolie is back with some kiss-ass moves, to show us she is definitely one of the most comfortable action heroines in our time. Thiz SALT is happened to be sweet more than you think it is.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE on : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  45. Jan 9, 2011
    A so, so action film. Enjoyable enough with an exciting twist at the end. The genre has been done so many times that it becomes hard to do something different with it. They've tried with this film and succeeded a little bit.
  46. Jan 8, 2011
    It's true. I'm an Angelina Jolie fan for all the wrong reasons. For my taste, she is at her best playing an action heroine and oozing sexuality. Make it a spy thriller and you can pretty much bet that I'll be first in line. In my opinion, there are two ways to evaluate any film. You can consider its technical elements and the precision of its actors, or you can just ask yourself if you enjoyed it. Well, I'm going with the latter this time, and I enjoyed the hell out of Salt.

Without giving away too much, I can tell you that the film is a spy thriller with lots of double crossing. In fact, the story is quite outlandish and barely even believable (okay, I lied, it's really not believable at all). But it's FUN. It keeps you guessing and rooting for the bad guy, or good girl, or whatever you want to classify Jolie's character as. She plays a spy who is suddenly outed as an undercover Russian agent when a very wanted Russian bad guy claims that she will soon kill the Russian President during his upcoming trip to America. That makes sense, right? Don't worry about it. Trust me. It will. And even if it doesn't, you won't care because it will be too loud and there will be too many explosions for you to remember what was supposed to happen anyway.

Salt is a thrill-ride. It's pure crazy fun and Jolie does a decent job of trying to keep it together. But with three versions offering three separate endings on the DVD, this is one you can watch over and over and still get a kick out of every time. You might need to suspend reality just a tad when viewing it, and have something to wipe away the drool, but it will be worth it.
  47. Jan 8, 2011
    This is James Bond becomes Jane Bond. She can win 3 on 1 fights. She can save the world. And she can look great doing it. The world is safer with salt.
  48. Jan 5, 2011
    This movie has alot of action but it wasn't as good as i expected. I thought that this was going be one of her best movie, well i was wrong. This movie isnt that good. It has a lot of action but it wasnt action that caught my attention and I knew what was going happen since the beginning. The screenplay was okay. They could have did a better job on it. I love Jolie but this movie wasnt near one of her best. Expand
  49. Jan 4, 2011
    The only reason why I watched this movie was because someone told me that it was similar to Inception in that you don't know which side the main character is on at the end. After watching it, I start to wonder if the guy actually saw Inception, because they're not really comparable at all. Some really nice action scenes and if you can ignore large chunks of the storyline you'll actually have quite a bit of fun with it. Even if you try to watch the movie at half speed (which will give you a headache) you still wont be able to figure out where the story is going to take you, which would be a good feature if that story would reach a good conclusion. How many ways are there to say that this movie has obvious gaps in it? Expand
  50. Jan 2, 2011
    Good story line, lots of action, and excellent pace. A couple scenes were predictable but they're far outweighed by all the surprises and plot twists. Action was less than realistic but who cares - it's the story and the non-stop action that makes it a good ride. Just relax and enjoy.
  51. Dec 31, 2010
    It's not just another spy movie but another movie with a lot of story in it. Angelina Jolie's character has to run for her life when people find out she's a Russian spy, while she has to complete her missions as well. The stunts and action may bores people for a while but Jolie manages to save the flaw by her acting. What is much to my relief is the movie has enough changes of outcome that are easy to understand and not only focused in the ending. Obvious snoozy talking scenes look shortened but brings a lot of meaning to leave more space for the action. Thank God! Expand
  52. Dec 27, 2010
    Woeful. Just a bad version of Bourne, but with a chick in place of Jason Bourne. The only exception being that it's even more inaccurate and unbelievable.
  53. Dec 24, 2010
    Nice action, but hoped it would've been more cerebral. As it is, it's predictable through and through. Not sure why Hollywood folks think that some "action" compensates for a reasonable plot. Common there writers and producers, we've seen all this stuff a gazillion times over. Some theatrical animation and computer effects aren't impressive anymore. It's not like we don't know that the actors don't jump onto cars on freeways or outrun explosion waves. Something new and more inventive would be nice for a change, once in while. Expand
  54. Dec 23, 2010
    While the movie was somewhat stimulating as far as the plot and special effects are concerned, I was most curious as to how they were going to end it. In that respect, I was thoroughly disappointed.
  55. Nov 29, 2010
    Salt's basic and predictable plot really undermines the film's potential to do more with its lead role, Angelina Jolie. Though the star gave it all she got playing a Russian spy, she wasn't enough to save the film from its wrong pacing style and ridiculously bad plot. Being trained as a Russian spy since she was a little girl, Evenlyn Salt lived a secret second life all this time. She's married and has a dog. But she worked in the CIA, so I guess that's something. Given that Angelina Jolie played the role, we have high expectations that she'd pull it off with lots of dramatic scenes. And that's exactly what we got. From the moment that she was being tortured in North Korea to the moment when she killed her spy partner, she was great. But given the fact that every spy movies starts with an undercover life and being captured at the end, Salt adds nothing new to the genre. Expand
  56. Nov 23, 2010
    Jolie really is great, but the happenings are just so unbelievable and cartoon-ish that I was never able to completely suspend my disbelief and just couldn't get into it. Did I mention Jolie is great?
  57. Nov 22, 2010
    When somebody accuses her of being a KGB sleeper agent, Evelyn Salt goes on the run and attempts to clear her name. But it becomes somewhat clear that Salt is actually a sleeper agent and was trained by russians when she was very young. But as a trained operative, Evelyn Salt has some ideas. It quickly turns into a plot that has many twists and I was impressed by how Salt kind of became the new Bourne, just by being able to do something quickly and the sharpness of it. With Angelina Jolie, it also provides the film with slight seduction but doesn't actually make the film better. What maked this movie interesting to watch is what seems to be million dollar question is "Who is Salt?" By the end no one knows for sure, and ends on a perfect cliffhanger that sets the stage for a Salt 2. The movie is intense and action packed from the start and definitely one of the best of the summer. Expand
  58. Nov 21, 2010
    This is the most ridiculous movie of all times, is the worst action movie that I've seen. Simply it is so absurd, so meaningless, so stupid. I wasted my time and my money
  59. Nov 20, 2010
    Don't give me wrong, this movie had a lot of action. But it was a little bit confusing and kinda ridiculous. For a minute, she's a Russian, then she's the good guy and all the way around. It's that kind of movie that you don't want to see again. The only fun part of the film were the actions scenes. The rest was non-sense crap.
  60. Nov 19, 2010
    Jolie is oustanding and the action is passable, but overall, Salt is an amplified action thriller trying so hard to be something more profound that it does end up being trying indeed.
  61. Nov 16, 2010
    Bourne style script and action that literally never ends - just like the film itself. I guess we have to wait for the next installment of the film to find out what happens in the end.
  62. Nov 10, 2010
    One of the better movies I've seen in a while. Anyone who gives this less than an 7 or 8 shouldn't watch movies anymore, just go and hide in a dark hole b/c you're worthless to society.
  63. Oct 26, 2010
    I'm not saying its a terrible movie, but its just wasn't that good. the plot and character development weren't compromising, but the acting wasn't that bad and the action was kind of enjoyable. so, I'm gonna give the director five points since he was this close of making this movie so good and it was worth a try.
  64. Oct 23, 2010
    I miss star vehicles. Watching Salt I was reminded of the impact a great star can have on even the silliest of plots or add to the storytelling with whistless fascination in such a profound way.
  65. Oct 22, 2010
    The film moves at a decent pace for the most part, but gets kinda silly towards the end. Which is a shame as it's quite the thrill ride on the big screen.
  66. Oct 11, 2010
    If you simply miss seeing Angelina Jolie on the big screen, this movie is for you! She's like a breath of fresh air. The movie's a reminder of her strong presence, professionalism, and daring nature. But you may ask what about everything else in the movie? Umm, did I mention that Angelina Jolie is in it? She rocks, and that's really all that matters in this movie.
  67. Oct 9, 2010
    "Salt is a sophisticated mess , it tries to hard to be the next Bourne movie , its clichéd , unrealistic , and plausible. Angelina Jolie gives it her best but her best is just not good enough. I Enjoyed the last 20mins then the entire 1hr 40min movie ...." .. C-
  68. Sep 23, 2010
    The plot could have been written by a 10 year old, the acting is mediocre at best and the "special effects" are, by no means, special. Need I say more?
  69. Sep 23, 2010
    It had a nice premise but lacked the execution that the any of the "Bourne" movies exhibited. Overall, it was a decent movie. It just fell short of creating a franchise, which it easily could have done.
  70. Sep 20, 2010
    I'd really like to give this a 7 1/2 but the meter won't let me. What's not to like here? The Russians are back as the Free World's arch enemy, Angelina Jolie has found her niche as the action hero of the next decade (Take that Terminator! Move aside Jason Bourne! Ripley, meet Salt!), the momentum is non-stop and the plot is over the top--but not TOO far over the top. This is just a fun movie that no one should take at all seriously. And what a hoot--Jolie as a guy! Talk about suspending reality! Too, too much fun. Expand
  71. Sep 19, 2010
    In SALT, the best action thriller of Summer 2010, Angelina Jolie proves her talent in a leading role originally written for a man.

As secret agent Evelyn Salt, Jolie builds a character that is fresh, driven, interesting and not overly complex as she moves through steep emotional challenges. In SALT, she is accused of being a Russian double agent and must prove her loyalty to the U.S.A.
    while spies, government agents and criminal goons threaten at every turn. With abundant plot twists, SALT is just plain fun. Jolie asked for the part and got it, giving her the opportunity to become the quintessential secret agent woman. Not only does she play the genre well, she updates and redefines it in the following ways: - Brave with Heart: There's a dramatic moment in SALT where Jolie has the opportunity to blow away a Russian operative. She chooses not to do so. Moments like these help drive the plot, but also give welcome relief from the endless shootout scenes that fill espionage thrillers. Jolie develops human interest in scenes with her gawky but lovable German husband Mike (August Diehl). - Athletic and Sensuous: Jolie avoids the scantily clad look of James Bond's women. Her physique and stamina are on display, but not exploited. A satisfying array of stunts - most of which she performs herself - can inspire viewers who identify with a brave leading woman. SALT is like the spy film Julia on steroids. Agent Salt runs, leaps, changes her appearance, and gets where she needs to go. Facing life's daily challenges, arenâ Expand
  72. Sep 18, 2010
    A fantastic action movie as expected, but surprisingly the movie also had a great plot and unexpected plot twists. one of the most entertaining movies of the summer.
  73. Sep 14, 2010
    This movie has plot holes the size of Manhattan, is believable as the easter bunny, but apart from that, its a fairly decent action movie, of te "summer blockbuster" kind. Essentially a popcorn flick, don't see this if you're looking for an intelligent, well-contrived plot. The comparison's with the Bourne movies are not good, mostly because the Bourne movies wre a lot better. Nonetheless, if you want to see a mindnumbing action movie this one does nicely. Expand
  74. Sep 6, 2010
    A fun if slightly absurd movie, although the end sucked.
    Bad.
    But apart from that, it was a pretty good action movie and a good summer blockbuster.
    I went to see this with friends and thoroughly enjoyed it, even if you have to suspend belief when you walk into the cinema.
  75. Sep 6, 2010
    This was on a par with the Tom Cruise M.I. films. The action was well done. AJ is a credible action heroine (though I doubt she could take out some of the monstrous guys her character did). i thought the plot was interesting, though not terribly realistic: CIA operatives are going to believe a Russian spy over a trusted agent and then let the spy escape? It still was a fun ride.
  76. Sep 6, 2010
    Despite Roger Ebert saying that this film has large enough holes in the plot that you could drive the whole movie through them, metacritic assigned his review a score of 100. Maybe this can give you an idea of why this whale of a film has achieved its metacriic score of 65.

Unfortunately there are several problems with this film. The first of those is that it is trying to be too many
    things to too many people, ultimately failing flat on its face as a result. After wasting two hours of my life watching Salt I still couldn't work out if it was an Action film, a suspense drama, a Cold War alternative ending, a story of death and grief and loss and the ways humans react to these, or a film with smarts and brains...

Further hamstringing Jolie's valiant attempts to elevate this film from mediocrity with a determined acting performance is the scripts completely implausible premise and plot, lack of intelligence and utterly underwhelming character development, all of which led me to care little for the outcome of the films central protagonists. In trying to outsmart itself and be too many things to too many people Salt comes off as one of Jolie's more forgettable films in the last few years. Forget the metacritic score of 65 and spend your money on something better.
  77. Sep 5, 2010
    watched the film and loved the action! don't get me wrong, it is a film I would not hesitate to watch again...but... there are some gaps in the plot! what is really the use of the scene where Salt after her release in N.Korea is talking with her husband saying he should have petitioned for her as 'now they know who he is'...we learn that Liv Shreiver's character asked her to get close to the person that became her husband.OK! but if the script was clever enough, they would have used this sub-plot more effectively given what is revealed about Shreiver's character in the end...it does not make sense that Salt's husband is just killed...
    it is a shame that more thought has not been put into the script. It could have outdone Inception in a compelling film. Still hope they get to make a sequel though. Hopefully there would be more 'meat' in the sequel...
    having said that, this film provides great entertainment, has wonderful action scenes and a great cast!
  78. Sep 3, 2010
    Just what a mindless summer movie should be. Lots of great stunts, a story that's just interesting enough to keep you going between the blowups and bullets. There's no depth, don't get me wrong, but it's a nice way to spend a few hours in the air conditioning while shoving down the popcorn.
  79. Sep 3, 2010
    Great movie! a must see! definitely not predictable. a great experience its almost like an action and a mystery movie put together. great twist at the end!!
  80. Sep 2, 2010
    Although it wasn't one of my favourite movie's ever I still did enjoy. I thought Angelina Jolie was very strong in it but I found the many 'twists' in the plot confusing at times and at the end was a bit baffled. Although I say this I would recommend it as it was enjoy just not particularly remember able.
  81. Sep 1, 2010
    With Wanted and now this on her resume Angelina Jolie is the undefeated female action star. She exudes movie-star charisma, physical prowess and has the acting chops to pull off the more emotionally charged scenes. Forget the risible Lara Croft, this movie is fast-paced and entertaining.
  82. Sep 1, 2010
    Phillip Noyce, Kurt Wimmer and Brian Hegeland's "SALT" was one of the year's most hotly anticipated films everywhere you looked you saw the promotions for this slick and over-the-top action thriller from director Phillip Noyce(Rabbit Proof-Fence, The Quiet American), screen play writers Brian Hegeland(L.A. Confidential, Robin Hood) and Kurt Wimmer (Equilibrium, Law Abiding Citizen). "SALT" is a kind of ripped form the headlines type of action thriller seeing as it is taking its main plot and premise from a news story about a women who accused of being a Russian spy. "SALT" is a standard order thriller with amazing action sequences and death defying stunts the only thing that sets this film apart from other action movies is the fact that it has a seasoned and highly professional star in the lead role, a veteran action director who knows his way around action sequences and conspiracy thrillers. But the plot to this movie seems to be mired in an over abundance of action sequences and chase sequences and to add on top of all that the film clocks out at a measly 1hr. 39 min which leaves little for character development or story development but truth be told does a movie like this really need all that? I don't think so. This film is more reliant on its action, stunts, chases, and Angelina Jolie's excellent performance as Evelyn Salt. This film has so many plot holes that you could drive a semi truck through it is the epitome of over the top action with each and every sequence delivering one brilliant filmed yet outrageously implausible stunt after another. All the while, the audience is sitting there in awe at the stylish and gritty action that laid out for the audience. "SALTâ Expand
  83. Sep 1, 2010
    Salt is definitely a film worth watching. I don't know why anyone's saying it's bad because it's really good. Sure, somethings were strange and unheard of (to me) like a pipe-fire extinguisher-tissue-alcohol rocket launcher.
  84. Aug 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The bad things in this movie were Mrs. Angelina Jolie performance. I'm a fan since Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Changeling, but I felt like I was watching Lara Croft and Fox ("Wanted" movie) expressions. In example: She can't avoid the same smiles, neither reactions like leaning her head on the wall when things are getting worse. And the script.
    Anyway, the good thing in this action movie is the story itself, is some kind of predictable at the beginning but you can't catch the double-double agent. I can't recommend it at all, unless you watch it on a weekend in your DVD/Blue-Ray with your friends.

Greetings.
  85. Aug 31, 2010
    Plot was outdated but fast-paced action didn't allow you to dwell on that aspect. If you're looking for more depth there is none; just take it as face value as a spy/action movie and enjoy the ride.
  86. Aug 31, 2010
    a lot of fun. keeps you guessing which side salt is on and what her real motivations are. some nice twists. its unpredictable and that's what sets it above most action films. Jolie plays the character well. although you have to suspend your disbelief that such a physically thin woman could beat up all those big guys.
  87. Aug 29, 2010
    Let me just start off by saying that the trailers for Salt do it absolutely no justice and make it look like the most generic of forgotten identity action movies. Salt is much more than that. Due to seeing that trailer around 50 times, my expectations were deflated but truthfully those expectations were never very high. I sat and watched as every minute my negative thoughts for this movie before I saw it were washed away and I became immersed in the action. If you are like me and were close to writing it off as garbage, think again.

Salt stars Angelina Jolie as Evelyn Salt, a â
  88. Aug 29, 2010
    Salt may not be the most original film in terms of its plot, but it is definitely done right for the most part. This is mainly due to Angeline Jolie being such a great strong actress for this kind of film and the movie itself keeps you interested all the way through and may give you a surprise or two in its plot depending on how many films you've seen of this kind, of course.
  89. Aug 28, 2010
    I did not like this movie. It was unbelievable in so many instances. There was very few parts of this movie I enjoyed. If you want to make an action movie way over the top stop using aging stars a perfect example was Die Hard 4. I read these reviews but some how don't believe it deserves the score. I like Jolie but believe all her films are rubbish (Except original sin back in the day.) Mindless unbelievable action and that ending.... Expand
  90. Aug 27, 2010
    Angelina Jolie in a tailor-made role that strays away from Lara Croft or Mrs. Smith. The film itself is a breath of fresh air and itâ
  91. Aug 26, 2010
    "Salt" may start off with some clunky storytelling, but once the action takes off (which it doesn't take too long to do), it's a senseless joyride, finding a niche between "Bourne"-style realism and "Mission Impossible" inanity (yes, a mask is used at one point in the movie). Of course, the driving force is Angelina Jolie as Evelyn Salt, a CIA agent who is accused of being a Russian spy. Salt is altogether a static character, but shifts in narrative constantly make our view of her dynamic, no knowing whether to pin her as hero or antihero, and Jolie plays this ambiguity to perfection. The movie itself isn't perfect, though - to me, occasional plot holes made it more confusing than "Inception," and the idea of a Cold War carry-over in this day and age is somewhat laughable. Still, the movie plays its thrills right, and character of Salt fulfills what she was written to be - a bona fide action star. Expand
  92. Aug 26, 2010
    Fun roller coaster ride of action and suspense. Quite obviously not based in reality but quite believable if you were to picture it in the Bourne universe. I will be picking it up when it gets released on BluRay.
  93. Aug 26, 2010
    A film that in the middle makes you to watch the clock all time does not worth the money or the time.
    I was hoping this movie not to be as bad as most movies this year, at least not boring. But it is. Last half of the movie is stupid, I would have cut the script just in the middle after the church or a bit later.
  94. Aug 25, 2010
    At the very least you can count on Ms Jolie's beauty to get you through a film, right? Sadly as it was with Tomb Raider her looks alone could not do the trick. Instead the close shots of her seemed patronizing with respect to her cardboard acting. Everyone in this film was cut in 2D and I found very little engagement. That's just the acting, the plot and action sequences I thought were even worse. Don't get me wrong, I love suspending my reality for a few hours, but this is best done when they have engaged me in a story where the people's emotions are related to the protagonist's plight. I can turn my brain off like the rest of them and watch a summer popcorn flick and have very little standards in this regards. That said Salt did not even make that mark.

I suspect the studio are angling to start this into a franchise ala the Bourne films. Its a predictable money angle based on Jolie's good name (for now). Be warned.
  95. Aug 25, 2010
    This film was incredibly enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much after reading many average reviews. The film keeps you guessing right up until the very end "Who is Salt?". The ending leaves a path open for a sequel, which I very much hope happens.
  96. Aug 24, 2010
    The movie is to damn predictable, there are plot holes and always feels like you've seen it before but it is enjoyable. The plot is fast and angelina Jolie is stunning. This summer has had poor movies this is not one of them.
  97. Aug 23, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent action spy movie with an ultra-capable female heroine somewhere between Bourne and (closer to) Nikita with an outrageous story involving the assassination of Russian AND American president and starting a WW III with nuclear strikes on Iran and Mecca. Leave your brain at the entrance and, if you like this kind of fare and you are willing to suspend your disbelief, you will have fun. Final assassination is really a sight to behold although with Kurt Wimmer 's script (Equilibrium, Ultraviolet) you must expect some serious close combat badassery verging on supernatural. Expand
  98. Aug 22, 2010
    All movies need to be reviewed relative to their prospective audience. If one reviews "White Chicks" for example, one has to be aware of the movie's intended purpose and place in the minds of its audience. With that in mind, even as the archetype summer blockbuster with a shallow plot and enough explosions to run a demolitions company; Salt was deliriously unbelievable verging on the parodistic. There so many better summer movies to see, explosion and shallow plot and everything. Expand
  99. Aug 22, 2010
    (Que deep, gritty, movie-trailer-guy voice) "This summer ... Bourne has had a sex change ... and he's making the same movie like before ... but not so good"
  100. Aug 20, 2010
    Several action sequences stitched together with a very loose plot to boot. I went into this thinking it would be a watered-down version of the Bourne trilogy. Instead it a murky action movie with a lot of shouting. Don't expect to be excited to priapic proportions.

Salt is a movie constantly painting itself into corners then tromping out with arbitrary twists and action distractions.
  2. Salt knows how to stay one step ahead of you in devious, if jaw-droppingly contrived, ways. The movie is fun, dammit. So who cares, really, if it's trash?
    It's still a short-enough time-killer of a thriller -- not the worst of the summer, but a long way from the current state of the art.