6.1

1. Jun 18, 2013
    The most stylish, thrilling and sexy Stone movie in ages. Savages a drug fuelled thriller in which Director Oliver Stone lives up to his filmmaking and gives us a story about Chon and Ben played the aero five Aaron Taylor Johnson and Taylor Kitsch. When their girl- Ophelia played by Pretty Little Lire's sexy Blake Lively gets kidnapped for their pot growing business by a Baja Drug Cartel, they get the odds to the evens. It may sound stupid but this is effective acting by Lado played by the one and only Bencio Del Toro and Elena played by Salma Hayek. Both actors are what that makes up Savages. Also Johnson gives a fine performance as Ben. In the end you are hallucinated by this thriller and the deep score that adds up to a fine masterpiece by Oliver Stone. Expand
  2. Jul 22, 2012
    Just saw Savages. Wow. I am in love with this movie. Everything about that movie was just great. The music was perfect, the the story was fun, fresh and original and the casting was BRILLIANT. Let's start with that. First of all, I cannot believe that this is the same Aaron Johnson that we saw in Kick-Ass. He looks so much more mature and he acts it to. And then there is Taylor Kitsch. Taylor Kitsch has had an AMAZING year so far. Well at least in my eyes... I thought John Carter was easily one of the best movies of the year and Battleship, while far from perfect, was still a lot of fun. What really sucks is that both of those movies tanked in the eyes of studio executives and unfortunately they will look at it as Taylor Kitsch's fault since he was the lead in both. That is really really unfortunate because Savages just once again shows me how much I love this guy as an actor. The rest of the cast is just brilliant as well. Blake Lively was great, John Travolta was amazing and oh my god where Benecio Del Toro and the stunning Salma Hayek both genius. Those to where seriously phenomenal.

What makes the actors so great was that they had amazing characters to play. I loved all of the characters in this movie, especially some of the minor ones. None of them felt like throwaway characters who where there just to serve up a plot detail. They all felt real and they where all so very interesting.

Besides the brilliant acting and extremely fun story was the fact that this movie just had a great style to it and the music really helps to add to that to. You can see this movies style in the fantastic promotional materials this movies been putting out. That poster? One of my favorite posters of the year. And the trailer was great to because it really did a great job of not spoiling anything because there are a lot of places that the story goes that I just wasn't expecting.

All in all, if you liked what you saw in the trailer then you will love the movie. It's so much fun. My only two problems where A) it got a little hard trying to figure out who was who in the epic finale and B) I wasn't really digging the whole super zoomed in look the movie had throughout most of it. But that may have been because I was sitting down closer to the screen than usual because the theater was sold out. Which is good because this movie deserves to do well.
  3. Jul 19, 2012
    This is not a great movie at all. Benicio del Toro is the only great acting in the movie. The story is weak and the acting bad. Not even worth watching unless you are very sadistic :P Very disappointing, specially for an Oliver Stone movie.
  4. Jul 11, 2012
    Oliver Stone is back in ruthless form in this in-depth exploration of the war on drugs, drug dealing, and the inner workings of Mexican drug cartels. As a viewer who has seen his previous work, I wondered if some of the influence of the Iraq/Afghanistan war veteran character was a reflection of Oliver Stone's Platoon and his own experiences in the vietnam war. The torture scenes echo the brutality of that earlier film, and push the limits of grotesquery. But nothing is over the top. As someone who has read articles and studied the war on drugs, everything in this film is realistic. The performances are amazing, a surprising Travolta is electrifying. This is his best work since Pulp Fiction. Del Toro once again humanizes a horrific and unique character and Hayek holds her own. The younger leads, Kitsch and Johnson are also exceptional, at times I found myself forgetting they were acting on screen. The only downside to this film was Blake Lively, who seems to be acting like less of a bimbo-airhead-california blonde and instead just acting like her normal self. Her skills aren't really up to par but that's not to say it wasn't an adequate job, but in a film with powerhouse performances from Travolta and Del Toro, it is noticeable. Overall, the film was an exceptional thrill ride and exploration of the war on drugs. It's got Stone's subtle metaphors and hints and the "surprise" ending is one of the best endings I've seen in years. A warning, though - the film is exceptionally violent and ruthless. Savage, actually. Collapse
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    "Savages" was a very entertaining piece of work that i enjoyed from the moment it started all the way to the trip out ending! i had read the book right before i went to see the movie, which gave me a better appreciation for the story and characters. I suggest you go out and see this bloody, thrill ride because its one of the better and story-driven movies to come out this year.
  6. Jul 6, 2012
    If you liked The Town last year, you'll like this. It's the same perfect blend of tone: Action, melodrama, and humor. These are the kind of movies that hollywood action should be. It felt like a whole season of Breaking Bad, but with a great director and huge budget. SEE THIS.... I will buy it on DVD.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 21, 2012
    Sadly, Savages plays up to Stone's worst tendencies: machismo, bombast and self-indulgence, and the factor that could conceivably have made this movie tolerable – humour – is off the menu.
  2. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    Sep 17, 2012
    What could have been an effective excoriation of US drug policy and a proper look at the violence inherent in the trade is wasted on a simplistic thriller that offers very little, especially given who is behind the camera. Sorry if that harshes anyone's buzz.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 1, 2012
    Savages is punishing in places, but there are enough colourful characters and careening twists to make it worth the effort.