7.7

1. May 30, 2014
    First of all, it is an absurd travesty to exclude Emma Thompson in the BEST LEADING ACTRESS nomination list this year by the Academy members, she campaigned rather hard in the awards season, she is a revered two-times winner and the film is exhaustively friendly towards the academy members, considering FINDING NEVERLAND (2004, 7/10), the story behind another children classic Peter Pan. And most essentially, she is at the top of her game in depicting a quite unlikeable character, the high and mighty spinster P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins books.

continue to read my review on my blog, google cinema omnivore, thanks
  2. May 27, 2014
    I thought I was going to hate having to watch this film. Like Mary Poppins this is not a fictional film. My partner and I both really enjoyed this charmingly easy going movie.
  3. May 14, 2014
    Amazing performances of all the actors––if you're a fan of any of them, I would recommend watching this film. Otherwise, however, I find the film predictable and somewhat cliché, lacking of interesting dialogue and imaginative ways to portray this true story. My other objection is that the real life situation has been significantly altered, which isn't a bad thing unless you can really notice it while watching the movie, like I did. Expand
  4. May 2, 2014
    A real treat for anyone who has love for the Mary Poppins movie. It tells the story of how the making of the movie took place, as well as the backstory behind the original Mary Poppins book. With a healthy mix of humor and emotion throughout, it manages to be a consistently enjoyable experience. It's also exceptionally well-cast. Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, and the rest of the cast give fantastic performances.

Just like the best Disney films, Mary Poppins included, this is a movie that has the potential to touch your heart. I know it did mine. Even if you do not have any sort of particular love for the Mary Poppins film this is still worth a watch. It's truly exceptional. I give it a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    It was great seeing how P.L. Travers and Walt Disney conflicted over how to bring her novel to the big screen. The excellent performances by Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks helped make this movie what it is.

The story progression is also something i enjoyed. I liked seeing a glimpse from P.L.'s past every now and then, and how it relates to her conflict with Disney.

It's a sentimental,
    touching, and charming film about being at peace with your past. Expand
  6. Apr 13, 2014
    Going in, I was expecting something completely different from what the movie was. And what it was, was entertaining with some real depth and stellar performances.

Mrs, Travers' character for the movie was perhaps written a bit too much like a lonely old shrew. It made it very hard to sympathize with her and her motives. But Emma Thomson played her well and did manage to convey the
    story's intent. Hanks does a decent job playing Disney, but I feel he is perhaps a bit too high profile and it was a little hard not seeing him as Tom Hanks. Still, I think he did fantastic job and delivered a memorable performance.

In many ways I felt this movie indirectly villainized Mrs. Travers's character and portrayed her far too harshly. Granted the back story does clarify this, but by the time the reveal it, it was hard to be understanding. Disney, on the other hand, seems to be glorified and portrayed in the most flattering way possible.

Overall:
    As a whole, the movie tells a deep and moving story of how Disney's Mary Poppins came to be, and I'll be honest, I actually cried a little at one point.

But, the whole time through, this movie felt like one big tribute to Walt Disney and the vilifying of P.T. Travers at the same time. Granted it is done very subtly and with utmost care not to cross any lines, it still comes across as a publicity stunt. Might as well of renamed the movie: Walt Disney's adventures with the wicked author down under.
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    A great movie you gonna love it and if you love mary popins you gonna love this movie.
    I am sad that Emma Thompson she's no nominated from the oscars, and tom hanks they have to nominate in the oscars this movie is greatful.
  8. Mar 29, 2014
    Saving Mr. Banks is an excellent film. It contains a lot of heart and soul and I really liked it. I liked the acting and locations in this film; Tom Hanks did a great job playing Walt Disney and Emma Thompson did a great job playing P.L. Travers. The only problem I have in this movie were some of the errors in this film like there are a few things you'll see in this movie that may have been after it's time like in the Disneyland scenes, I may have seen an attraction or two that may have not been open yet. But if you ignore those errors, you will find Saving Mr. Banks to be a very good movie that tells the story of the making of Mary Poppins. Expand
  9. Mar 23, 2014
    i thought this movie was terrible . but then i was wrong because its kinda enjoyable and so was emma thompson . this movie was heartbreaking like philonema . but its okay
    Grade A
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    Saving Mr Banks is one of the better movies that have come to theaters. It was nice to see a brilliant tale which is spiced with humor and emotional moments and topped of with brilliant acting. The film starts of a little slowly and is hard to follow for someone who hasn't seen Mary Poppins but it picks up pace as the movie goes along. There is flashback of the authors life and how it influenced her books and how it affects her outlook. The acting was brilliant as expected from Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks and Collin Farrell but the little kid who plays Ginty was also phenomenal in the movie.
    So all in all Saving Mr Banks is a very nice movie for critics and commoners equally.
  11. Mar 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember when I went to the cinema to watch this when it first came out; I was absolutely blown away by it, Tom Hanks pulled of an amazing performance as well as Emma Thompson. Not enough credit has been given to this film which is such a shame.

If you are a fan of Mary Poppins, this is a must, and if your not, it's still a fascinating insight into one woman's love of her work, and how much it means to her.

I highly recommend this.
  12. Mar 20, 2014
    I have to say I really was surprised by this movie. It was done very well and i enjoyed it. It has some deep emotions to it. Not just the story of Mary Poppins
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    La genesi di ‘Mary Poppins’, film amato da generazioni di ragazzi in tutto il mondo (ma non dal sottoscritto), fu lunga e travagliata: non tanto perchè fu il primo lungometraggio disneyano con attori in carne e ossa, quanto per i bastoni messi tra le ruote da P.L. Travers, la scrittrice britannica autrice dei libri dedicati alla supergovernante. Il corteggiamento per avere i diritti richiese molto tempo e i paletti messi dalla scrittrice per la trasposizione – no al musical, no all’animazione, no al rosso – furono infine forzati da Walt in persona vincendo la scommessa commerciale, ma assicurandosi il risentimento a vita della donna. Il film racconta questo lungo lavoro di convincimento (e un po’ di coercizione), concentrandosi principalmente sulla trasferta hollywoodiana di Travers, che si ritrova catapultata in un mondo che non capisce – o che si rifiuta di capire – con quasi solo l’eccezione del rapporto che nasce con l’occhialuto autista Ralph. In parallelo, c’è la narrazione della genesi autobiografica di ‘Mary Poppins’ attraverso i flashback che illustrano il tenero rapporto dell’autrice con il padre durante la di lui discesa verso la rovina e la morte nell’Outback australiano: la rivolta del signor Banks – il padre dei ragazzi affidati a Mary – è la rivincita regalata al proprio genitore per interposto personaggio. Questo doppio binario è il punto debole più evidente della pellicola: il dramma che si svolge nei ricordi mal si combina con il tono in prevalenza di commedia del filone principale anche perché la rappresentazione è di maniera, malgrado la fotografia da cartolina (John Schwartzman è il responsabile della parte visiva) e le sentite interpretazioni di Colin Farrell e della giovane Annie Rose Buckley. Lascia poi perplessi che la sceneggiatura (di Kelly Marcel e Sue Smith) tratti in modo così frettoloso la figura di zia Ellie (Rachel Griffiths), che sta alla base della figura di Mary Poppins, anche se non riesce a ‘mettere a posto le cose’: ben diversi sono il ritmo e la godibilità della narrazione al ‘presente’, dove la bravura degli attori e la possibilità di giocare con le situazioni più contrastate aiutano ad alzare il livello in modo considerevole. Il lavoro quotidiano della costruzione del film – le musiche, l’animazione, le caratteristiche dei personaggi (dal signor Banks alla discussione sul nome da dare a sua moglie) – si scontra con i dubbi di Travers, ma è costantemente supportato dall’incoraggiamento e dalla partecipazione di Walt in persona. Ovviamente il tutto è edulcorato, ma sarebbe anche stato difficile pretendere che un film disneyano parlasse male del padre fondatore, e c’è qualche forzatura che però migliora la resa drammatica (Disney non andò mai in Inghilterra per convincere la riottosa controparte, ma la telefonata reale avrebbe avuto molta meno efficacia sullo schermo), ma in questa parte il film sa coinvolgere fino a culminare nella scena madre della prima proiezione. Lo stesso Hancock che filma in modo abbastanza banale il segmento australiano sembra trovare qui un’altra sensibilità, come se fosse più in sintonia con questi momenti: di certo, come già detto, lo aiutano una scrittura più serrata e un cast di notevole sicurezza. Circondati da impeccabili professionisti fra i quali spicca l’umanità dolente che Paul Giamatti regala a Ralph, Thompson e Hanks interpretano con grande finezza i personaggi principali interagendo con classe ed evitando di prevaricare. L’attrice inglese riesce a restituire appieno la figura di una donna scorbutica e fragile (scorbutica perché fragile), mentre Hanks si cala a fondo nei panni di un Walt non si sa quanto vicino a quello reale – l’attore è riuscito però a imporre un accenno al fumo che il vero Disney negò sempre in pubblico – ma che, con quella voce calda e suadente, avrebbe convinto anche i sassi. Expand
  14. Mar 4, 2014
    Solid acting by the cast and the story was certainly interesting as well. Really depressing though and not as light-hearted as I thought it would be. Not enough Tom Hanks either. Still a solid movie overall though.
  15. Mar 4, 2014
    This is not the first time I saw a movie about the behind the making of a masterpiece works. Recent 'Hitchcock' described 'the man of mystery', Alfred Hitchcock's career best movie 'Psycho'. Johnny Depp's 'Finding Neverland' tells about behind the creation of a magical land and Peter Pan. So there are many other movies about theme like this. This movie is as well based on such kinda story which unleashes creation of the
    most celebrated musical-children movie 'Mary Poppins' from its book.

Characters like the author of 'Mary Poppins' book, Travers played by
    Emma Thompson and Walt Disney played by Tom Hanks filled the screen
    with interesting moments of history. Especially the cultural
    differences between two countries, England and United States brought
    lots of humorous scenes to us. The story telling splits into two where
    one briefs the author's real life incident when she was a child lived
    in Australia. And another one was about Walt Disney's struggle by the
    threats from Travers, while being adapted the book into a movie.

Both the characters, Travers and Disney had an uncompromising
    relationship in the story. Where Travers was fighting not to go wrong
    in the movie adaptation because the characters from her book means a
    lot to her. On the other hand, Disney's fight to keep what he promised
    to his children to make a movie from their favourite book.

One of the best movie of the year. Tom Hanks was okay in a role of
    'father of animation'. But I was impressed with the Emma Thompson and
    also the Collin Ferrell. Paul Giamatti's role was small but wonderfully
    portrayed. No wonder why this movie got nominated for 2014 Oscar in the
    music section. Was expecting it to win but failed to do, so sad.
  16. Feb 22, 2014
    Saving Mr. Banks es una película que merece ser vista ¿Por qué? Primero y principal está creada con un gran corazón y, luego las interpretaciones de Emma Thompson (como la escritora del libro "Mary Poppins") y Tom Hanks (como Walt Disney); dos poderosas actuaciones que iluminan esta película y la hace brillar. También la historia se hace respetar dando a lo largo de la película estrictas enseñanzas y, a veces traerá recuerdos de nuestra infancia. Es por eso que Disney a creado un proyecto mágico y muy entretenido para que la gente descubra lo maravilloso que era trabajar tras las cámaras con Walt Disney y P.L. Travels mientras el rodaje de "Mary Poppins". Expand
  17. Feb 10, 2014
    It's a good movie, and Tom Hanks' portrayal of Walt Disney is really excellent. I also liked the little girl playing young Helen; her face was so expressive and her performance so natural that you sort of forgot she turns into Emma Thompson. I am conflicted about Thompson's portrayal of P. L. Travers. She plays such an unpleasant person (psychological damage notwithstanding) that it's hard to get past that. On the other hand, by all accounts Travers was unpleasant and hard-to-get-along-with so Thompson obviously did a good job as the actor portraying her. It takes all the way through the movie to get the title but having had it explained to me, I thought it was actually well chosen. I think it is worth seeing but is not a top favourite. Expand
  18. Feb 6, 2014
    Best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    Quite obviously an extremely biased film posing as historical, which I find condescending given the fact this is a Disney picture. Given that we know this going into the film we should not be surprised by the bombardment of schmaltz we receive. Personally I found this irritating and far from palatable which would leave me to give it a 5.5 on personal grounds, however on the Poe Scale it receives a 6.5 it would have been a seven, but through out the picture you cannot help but feel that the Disney corporation is forcing the actors to hold back.
    Acting: 1.5/2
    Cinematography: 1.5/2
    Editing: 1/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1/2
  20. Feb 5, 2014
    A very interesting movie indeed!
    Adding to that, that the actors are superb, makes this a must see film.
    Only thing, bear in mind that this is not a mostly comedy as it seemed from the trailers.
  21. Feb 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't think I would enjoy it but its such a good script, every actor did so well in this movie. The plot is so nice those flashbacks she has fit in very well and dont spoil the story. She seems very stuck up at the start of this movie but you start to understand why it makes you feel more for the story of mary poppins which is what i liked the most. its fun to enjoy and made me laugh great to watch/ Expand
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    Even with its overly treacly antics and its occasionally jarring narrative structure, "Saving Mr. Banks" still entertains to the fullest extent of the word, with lots of laughs, tears, great performances from every member of the cast, and yet another stellar score from Thomas Newman.
  23. Jan 25, 2014
    A pleasant surprise in the magic Christmas movie of season, and having to celebrate it's history is pure beauty. Everyone no matter the age can reflect to their childhood and emote a connection here. Saving Mr Banks hits you with it's subject matter lead by the spirited performance from Collin Farrell who is good in everything he is in.
  24. Jan 25, 2014
    The film tells the story of P.L Travers. We follow two narratives_ one of which is a fictionalized account of the writer's childhood in Australia, the other one is about Walt Disney's attempt to have the writer approve of his adaptation of her book and thus sign away her rights.

Emma Thompson plays Travers with a dry British humour. She is sarcastic and cynical, retorting with witty
    remarks at every opportunity. Everyone else goes along with it because they need what is hers. She is less than enthusiastic about having her book adapted and has her doubts about the intentions of Disney's company to stay true to the source material.

Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney, a magnate with a view to life only a fourteen year old could have in real life. He is never serious until he is. Wanting to adapt the book he had promised his daughters years ago he would, he relentlessly pursues Travers to sign the document.

Annie Rose Buckley plays Helen, a young girl who sees her father, Goff (Colin Farrell) as a hero, although it is apparent from the start that he isn't. But he is a brilliant father and despite his many failures at life this fact makes the young Helen forever hold her father in the highest regard, to the extent that her whole life is affected by it. The young actress showed great promise and I'm already rooting for her career.

The supporting cast did a satisfactory job. Paul Giamatti plays a limousine driver, Ralph, who takes Travers to different places. From the Sherman Brothers to Dolly to Don DaGradi, the humour was always there, often in the form of all of them attempting to make her approve of the different aspects of the film they have come up with.

Though it started at a light note, it becomes increasingly serious as the woes of life catch up with the characters. But even in the midst of all the drama, a touch of humour here and there helped lighten the mood.

The film followed one story in 1901 and the other in the 1960s. Both of these times were captured brilliantly with set design and costume. Add to that the great job done with the acting and writing, I give the film a score of 9.
  25. Jan 23, 2014
    This movie really stunned me, I expected it to be no more than a movie about the production of Mary Poppins with a comedic twist, the story was enjoyable as was the acting. The side story of Travers childhood really touched me as well, it was a great mix with great actors.
  26. Jan 23, 2014
    Magic, magic, magic. If a grown man were to walk into an empty theater with his layered-buttered popcorn and large sprite and sit in the best seat, he would smile and cry. Mr. Banks fireworks memories, inspiration, and memories exploding in your heart, melting your soul. Yes, that was me.
  27. Jan 19, 2014
    Inspiring and beautiful, this movie is full of amazing performances, mainly Thompson and some Hanks, and will definitely be a good ride for the whole family.
  28. Jan 19, 2014
    Good acting by Colin Farrell and Tom Hanks but as a piece of entertainment this film didn't work for me as P.L.Travers is such an awful person. Felt like an advert for the reputation of Walt Disney at times.
  29. Jan 15, 2014
    The two leads may be refined and build up decent chemistry, and the story has its emotional points placed in the right time, significantly the climax of her flashbacks. The problem, though, is that these movie executives and Walt Disney himself would not have been able to put up with Travers' nature, if all this is even remotely factual. And it leaves out the part where Walt Disney says to her about the animation; "Pamela, the ship has sailed ". P.L Travers in truth despised the film and vowed never to work with Disney again. For PG, it's not so cheesy. Expand
  30. Jan 13, 2014
    This was the most boring movie I've seen in years. I. Never thought I'd be like my father and fall asleep in movie theaters. But in this case yes I was literally falling asleep. The woman character was so irritating you find yourself wondering why Walt Disney didn't just kick her out of his office the first day, instead of tolerating her incessant whining for weeks. I recommend not seeing it and don't even bother renting it later. Expand

A fair number of people have responded with tears and laughs to Saving Mr. Banks, but I found it interminable.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    Dec 20, 2013
    A fascinating blend of brand extension and corporate history.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 20, 2013
    Saving Mr. Banks, set in 1961, is smart, delightful.