7.7

1. Dec 13, 2013
    Although its ending could have been more expanded, Saving Mr. Banks is a sad story about its origins of Mary Poppins, yet also a funny story about how it Mary Poppins made it to the big screen and the accurate performance of Walt Disney by Tom Hanks and witty performance of P.L. Travers by Emma Thompson made this movie worth watching.

Personal Note: I watched this movie when this was

Personal Note: I watched this movie when this was screened at Dubai International Film Festival
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Saving Mr. Banks' is almost entirely fictitious. Unlike the conclusion of the movie, the author, Pamela Lyndon Travers (real name: Helen Lyndon Goff never liked or approved the Disney adaptation. The pace of the movie is slow in spots and the never-ending flash backs attempting to explain Ms. Goff's bizarre behavior are not convincing. Even at the premier of the movie, Ms. Goff insisted to Walt Disney that the animation had to go. Disney responded by walking away, saying as he did, "Pamela, the ship has sailed." The acting of Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson is exceptional and for that I'm forced to give it a favorable score but all in all, I really didn't like it much. Expand
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    This si a very enjoyable film where we learn how Mary Poppins was actually written. With many great actors and the scenery right in Disneyland it would be pretty tough to beat the story line of this film. I could comment that this isn't an "E" ticket item but a ride that anyone would enjoy going on many times.
  4. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Comes just in advance of the film’s fiftieth anniversary is the story behind one of Walt Disney’s most beloved pictures, Mary Poppins (1964), 4), and negotiations between Disney and the author of the original books, P. L. Travers.

If history is written by the victors, then there’s bound to be bias when the Disney Company tells a tale surrounding their beloved Uncle Walt, but the film portrays the powerful personalities of Travers and Disney as equal in strength and single mindedness. Ultimately, both are flawed.

Tom Hanks has had a good year, appearing recently in the critically acclaimed Captain Phillips. As Walt Disney, he appeals to Travers with a promise he made to his daughters: that he would adapt their favourite book for the silver screen. He claims Travers’ creations are as much his family as hers, but at heart, he is a shrewd businessman, and a man who is absolutely used to getting what he wants.

Travers (Emma Thompson, who has experience starring as her own magical governess in Nanny McPhee) views the art of film and the fantasies of Disney with utter contempt, and has spent twenty years vehemently denying him the rights to her work. But financial constraints force her hand and she agrees to fly to California, where pre-production is already well underway, to finally hammer out a compromise.

While the clash of two big characters is enough for a solid story, Saving Mr. Banks is an ensemble piece. The cast rounded out with Travers’ good natured chauffer Ralph (Paul Giamatti) providing her introduction to American culture, and Disney’s team: scriptwriter Don DaGradi (Bradley Whitford), and songwriters Richard (Jason Schwartzman) and Robert Sherman (B. J. Novak).

Much of the humour in the film comes from Travers’ altercations with DaGradi and the Sherman Brothers as they edit the script and score. Travers’ is infinitely insufferable, rejecting their suggestions outright, frowning in disapproval at their songs, and chiding them for lack of manners when they attempt an informal atmosphere.

One stipulation she makes is to record all of their meetings. These were used extensively as source material by the film makers and an authentic excerpt from one of these tapes which plays over the end credits reveals just how accurate Thompsons’s portrayal is Travers really was that overbearing.

As a period piece, the film indulges in the meticulously portrayed eras of early ‘60s Hollywood, and turn of the century Australia. Here, flashbacks to Travers’ youth and her father (Colin Farell), a struggling alcoholic bank manager, reveal the reasons behind her haughty demeanour, and the inspirations for her novels. With Mary Poppins, she gave the Banks’ family a redemption that her own life never had.

The film is unashamedly saccharine at times. Travers is not alone: every character, from Ralph to Robert Sherman to Disney himself, has a tale of hardship to tug at the heartstrings. The audience is played like a fiddle by director John Lee who knows a little about strung out sentimentality from his previous film, The Blind Side (2009). The film is long, clocking in at just over two hours, but is well paced, and does not feel especially bloated.

Naturally, a certain amount of knowledge and appreciation for Mary Poppins is required for this film to mean anything. While I am no Travers biographer, I’m aware that some elements of her personal life have been streamlined, or indeed omitted, to make them more cinematic.

The bare bones are the truth, and are indeed a powerful story. The biggest difference is that although she allowed it to be filmed, Travers never came around, and hated the Disney film for the rest of her life.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much wanted to give this movie the benefit of the doubt, but they swung and missed with the writing and the very somber tone of this film. The tone sets up a very nice sequence in which Disney follows the author back to her home in London. However, other than a couple of nice moments with her driver Giamatti, it's the rare highlight from a very average film. Expand
  6. Dec 27, 2013
    Emma Thompson is simply delightful as the stuffy British author of the Mary Poppins books, who comes to LA to meet with Walt Disney (Tom Hanks). He's been trying for 20 years to obtain the rights and she's staunchly determined not to give in. Playing parallel to this charming story is an emotional examination of her life as a girl and the flawed father she worshiped (Colin Farrell in anEmma Thompson is simply delightful as the stuffy British author of the Mary Poppins books, who comes to LA to meet with Walt Disney (Tom Hanks). He's been trying for 20 years to obtain the rights and she's staunchly determined not to give in. Playing parallel to this charming story is an emotional examination of her life as a girl and the flawed father she worshiped (Colin Farrell in an uncharacteristic sweet role). The team's frustrating attempts at winning the writer's approval are classic Disney magic: cheerful, earnest and genuinely funny. The childhood flashbacks, although beautifully shot, simply go on too long and drag down the pacing (and the light mood). Even so, adults will enjoy this tasteful and well-crafted glimpse into cinema history with an emotional core. Be sure to sit thru the credits til the "tape" runs out. Expand
  7. Dec 13, 2013
    In the end, Saving Mr. Banks does what few historical pieces are able to: it both informs and transforms our impression of something we thought we knew, while simultaneously reinforcing what we’ve always loved about it or better yet, it provides new intrigue to those who may not have loved it in the first (I speak personally, in this case). As far as holiday season movies go, this is aIn the end, Saving Mr. Banks does what few historical pieces are able to: it both informs and transforms our impression of something we thought we knew, while simultaneously reinforcing what we’ve always loved about it or better yet, it provides new intrigue to those who may not have loved it in the first (I speak personally, in this case). As far as holiday season movies go, this is a solid bet for that feel-good family film, despite the fact that it contains some heavier (but worthwhile) dramatic elements. Another winner for Hanks in 2013. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    This is a fabulous charming Disney film that does Mary Poppins justice. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson give top notch performances and the supporting cast are pitch perfect as well.
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    I think "Saving Mr. Banks" is a best movie that is based on the actual real life events that took place in the making of the 1964 classic "Mary Poppins"
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    Saving Mr Banks is a very well crafted feel good movie that touches the heart profoundly. Hanks and Thompson give sterling performances as Disney and PL Travers respectively. The chase of Disney for the script of Mary Poppins and Travers reluctance to sell a story that holds a deep sentiment has a lasting effect and shows what grief and heartbreak can be behind any story, especially thoseSaving Mr Banks is a very well crafted feel good movie that touches the heart profoundly. Hanks and Thompson give sterling performances as Disney and PL Travers respectively. The chase of Disney for the script of Mary Poppins and Travers reluctance to sell a story that holds a deep sentiment has a lasting effect and shows what grief and heartbreak can be behind any story, especially those ones that have been transformed into a story that contains magic of the soul. Saving Mr Banks is a worthy movie to bring the world of Mary Poppins alive again. Expand
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    Something about this movie just really stuck out. Not only does it have its cute and good feel, but it also tugs very strongly on the emotion relationship between the author P.L Travers and her Mary Poppins story. And while Tom Hanks is magnificent as the legendary Walt Disney, it's Emma Thompson's role as P.L. Travers that not only sticks out, but hits us home right in our hearts.Something about this movie just really stuck out. Not only does it have its cute and good feel, but it also tugs very strongly on the emotion relationship between the author P.L Travers and her Mary Poppins story. And while Tom Hanks is magnificent as the legendary Walt Disney, it's Emma Thompson's role as P.L. Travers that not only sticks out, but hits us home right in our hearts. Overall, what a wonderful tale of one of the greatest movies of all time! I give it an A-! Expand
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    Saving Mr. Banks is a true film, with all its Disney-like magic and wonder, counterbalanced by tough, dramatic scenes about an alcoholic father and his struggle to keep his family surviving. But, the scenes go from here to there, and everything is predictable. Emma Thompson's character is annoyingly portrayed(even though that was the point),but she takes it to a level where she isn't funSaving Mr. Banks is a true film, with all its Disney-like magic and wonder, counterbalanced by tough, dramatic scenes about an alcoholic father and his struggle to keep his family surviving. But, the scenes go from here to there, and everything is predictable. Emma Thompson's character is annoyingly portrayed(even though that was the point),but she takes it to a level where she isn't fun to watch anymore. Tom Hanks does a good job, and Colin Farrell was on par, but this movie is too lightweight to be called "best film of the year." Expand
  13. Feb 22, 2014
    Saving Mr. Banks es una película que merece ser vista ¿Por qué? Primero y principal está creada con un gran corazón y, luego las interpretaciones de Emma Thompson (como la escritora del libro "Mary Poppins") y Tom Hanks (como Walt Disney); dos poderosas actuaciones que iluminan esta película y la hace brillar. También la historia se hace respetar dando a lo largo de la película estrictasSaving Mr. Banks es una película que merece ser vista ¿Por qué? Primero y principal está creada con un gran corazón y, luego las interpretaciones de Emma Thompson (como la escritora del libro "Mary Poppins") y Tom Hanks (como Walt Disney); dos poderosas actuaciones que iluminan esta película y la hace brillar. También la historia se hace respetar dando a lo largo de la película estrictas enseñanzas y, a veces traerá recuerdos de nuestra infancia. Es por eso que Disney a creado un proyecto mágico y muy entretenido para que la gente descubra lo maravilloso que era trabajar tras las cámaras con Walt Disney y P.L. Travels mientras el rodaje de "Mary Poppins". Expand
  14. Jan 13, 2014
    This was the most boring movie I've seen in years. I. Never thought I'd be like my father and fall asleep in movie theaters. But in this case yes I was literally falling asleep. The woman character was so irritating you find yourself wondering why Walt Disney didn't just kick her out of his office the first day, instead of tolerating her incessant whining for weeks. I recommend not seeingThis was the most boring movie I've seen in years. I. Never thought I'd be like my father and fall asleep in movie theaters. But in this case yes I was literally falling asleep. The woman character was so irritating you find yourself wondering why Walt Disney didn't just kick her out of his office the first day, instead of tolerating her incessant whining for weeks. I recommend not seeing it and don't even bother renting it later. Expand
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    Saving Mr. Banks” stars Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers, the author of the Mary Poppins literary property. This is the story about the making of the film by the same name. Directed by John Lee and written by Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith, the film depicts the events preceding the actual filming of this Disney classic and, in vivid detail, shares with the viewer theSaving Mr. Banks” stars Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers, the author of the Mary Poppins literary property. This is the story about the making of the film by the same name. Directed by John Lee and written by Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith, the film depicts the events preceding the actual filming of this Disney classic and, in vivid detail, shares with the viewer the many problems, trials and tribulations imposed upon the producer by the author and owner of the rights to the character. Ms. Thompson’s performance is superb and gives new meaning to the word excellence. Mr. Hanks, it goes without saying, does a wonderful job portraying the late Walt Disney who strived to make this charming book into a film.. Fast becoming the Male Meryl Streep, it seems that Mr. Hanks can play any role and play it well. This film is pleasant to watch but, more importantly, it is historically important as it relates the relationship between Mr. Disney and Ms. Travers and why it took so long to bring the book to the screen. I give the film an 8 with special attention given to the acting performance of Ms. Thompson. Expand
  16. Jan 1, 2014
    Emma Thompson steals the show as she is absolutely brilliant. I would be shocked if she is not nominated for BEST ACTRESS come OSCAR time. Tom Hanks is fantastic as Walt Disney but even he knows he is playing a supporting role to Ms. Thompson. If you like movies with excellent dialogue in which you care about the characters then don't miss Saving Mr. Banks.
  17. Dec 15, 2013
    Grounded by terrific performances, SAVING MR. BANKS, underscores the power of art to heal and inspire. Did I really just write that? Yes! Director John Lee proves to be a force in delivering adult emotion without the sappy sentimentality. BANKS will truly surprise you. It's about much more than Mary Poppins. A lovely film but very short of great. The film needs two moments ofGrounded by terrific performances, SAVING MR. BANKS, underscores the power of art to heal and inspire. Did I really just write that? Yes! Director John Lee proves to be a force in delivering adult emotion without the sappy sentimentality. BANKS will truly surprise you. It's about much more than Mary Poppins. A lovely film but very short of great. The film needs two moments of transcendence that it hints at but then backs off. Too bad. BANKS could have been a major holiday treat. But again, pretty damn good. Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2013
    It will take more than a spoonful of sugar to help this rather unpalatable medicine go down. Marketed as being about the making of the musical 'Mary Poppins', this is only partially true. The film spends 50% of its running time exploring P L Travers child hood in Australia with her down trodden mother and drunken father (Colin Farrell giving the film's best performance). From thisIt will take more than a spoonful of sugar to help this rather unpalatable medicine go down. Marketed as being about the making of the musical 'Mary Poppins', this is only partially true. The film spends 50% of its running time exploring P L Travers child hood in Australia with her down trodden mother and drunken father (Colin Farrell giving the film's best performance). From this dysfunctional background sprung forth her flying nanny. The other half of the film is indeed about the making of the famous 1964 movie starring Oscar winning Julie Andrews, which is in itself over rated.
    The main problem is that the film is boringly repetitive and the juxtaposing of Travers' child hood with her time in L A is totally un-interesting. Things aren't helped by Emma Thompson's irritatingly mannered and tiresome performance (An Oscar nomination I have heard mentioned. REALLY!!!!!!). Also Tom Hanks' brilliance as Captain Phillips has certainly been hijacked here in his playing of Walt Disney. In fact the best parts of the film involve the Sherman brothers composing or performing the now famous music. I also have to admit to loving the line Poor A A Milne' which Ms Thompson utters in disgust on finding a stuffed Pooh bear in her hotel room. However, aside from the occasional line of inspired dialogue, most of the script has Thompson constantly enunciating in the negative which becomes wearisome indeed. Predictable sentimentality has its moments towards the end, but an excessive running time cannot save Mr Banks from being dull, dull, dull.
  19. Feb 5, 2014
    A very interesting movie indeed!
    Adding to that, that the actors are superb, makes this a must see film.
    Only thing, bear in mind that this is not a mostly comedy as it seemed from the trailers.
  20. Dec 26, 2013
    The movie is delightful, pleasant, and heartwarming. It doesn't try to sell itself more than what it is and makes you appreciate Mary Poppins just a little bit more. Emma Thompson puts on a wonderful performance.
  21. Dec 27, 2013
    A reviewer should review the movie they have seen not the want they wanted it to be. P.L. Travers, born Helen Lynden Goff, had an alcoholic father who died at a young age, a suicidal mother, adopted a boy when she was 40 though she wouldn't adopt his twin brother. She was an actress before becoming a writer under the Travers name and became famous with "Mary Poppins". She had live inA reviewer should review the movie they have seen not the want they wanted it to be. P.L. Travers, born Helen Lynden Goff, had an alcoholic father who died at a young age, a suicidal mother, adopted a boy when she was 40 though she wouldn't adopt his twin brother. She was an actress before becoming a writer under the Travers name and became famous with "Mary Poppins". She had live in affairs with two women and would die at the age of 96.

"Saving Mr. Banks" is based on a trip she made to Hollywood, with all expenses picked up by Walt Disney, who wanted the rights to her best selling "Mary Poppins". Tom Hanks plays Disney as an easy going, easy to get along with guy, who portions out a lot more than 'A Spoonful of Sugar" to get those rights.

Emma Thompson is the back bone of the movie playing Travers as a woman who won't give an inch. She is cold, looks down her nose on Hollywood and feels they will only bring harm to the work so close to her. She doesn't like Dick Van Dyke, wanting only an English cast, refused to have animated animals, scoffed at the songwriters and screenwriters, really doesn't get the audience on her side, even with flashbacks to her childhood, but by the end of the film will move you to tears.

Joseph Schwartzman and B. J. Novak play the songwriting brothers, who won Oscars for Best Song "Chim Chim Che-ree and Best Original score, with Bradley Whitford, as Don DaGradi receiving a nomination for screenplay, doing an all around true person. There is an outstanding performance by Paul Giamatti playing Travers's Hollywood driver, Ralph. Colin Farrell as her father does a stereotype of the drunken Irish man with some warmth while most of the women in the movie have what would be called cameo parts by such names as Kathy Baker, Ruth Wilson and Rachel Griffiths.

After bombastic films like "American Hustle" and "The Wolf of Wall Street" it's a good change of pace to come across the story of an Australian writer in a two film about a beloved American movie but, hopefully, with Emma Thompson playing P.L. Travis agai we will get the more dramatic picture of her real life.
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    The film tells the story of P.L Travers. We follow two narratives_ one of which is a fictionalized account of the writer's childhood in Australia, the other one is about Walt Disney's attempt to have the writer approve of his adaptation of her book and thus sign away her rights.

Emma Thompson plays Travers with a dry British humour. She is sarcastic and cynical, retorting with witty remarks at every opportunity. Everyone else goes along with it because they need what is hers. She is less than enthusiastic about having her book adapted and has her doubts about the intentions of Disney's company to stay true to the source material.

Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney, a magnate with a view to life only a fourteen year old could have in real life. He is never serious until he is. Wanting to adapt the book he had promised his daughters years ago he would, he relentlessly pursues Travers to sign the document.

Annie Rose Buckley plays Helen, a young girl who sees her father, Goff (Colin Farrell) as a hero, although it is apparent from the start that he isn't. But he is a brilliant father and despite his many failures at life this fact makes the young Helen forever hold her father in the highest regard, to the extent that her whole life is affected by it. The young actress showed great promise and I'm already rooting for her career.

The supporting cast did a satisfactory job. Paul Giamatti plays a limousine driver, Ralph, who takes Travers to different places. From the Sherman Brothers to Dolly to Don DaGradi, the humour was always there, often in the form of all of them attempting to make her approve of the different aspects of the film they have come up with.

Though it started at a light note, it becomes increasingly serious as the woes of life catch up with the characters. But even in the midst of all the drama, a touch of humour here and there helped lighten the mood.

The film followed one story in 1901 and the other in the 1960s. Both of these times were captured brilliantly with set design and costume. Add to that the great job done with the acting and writing, I give the film a score of 9.
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    Best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
  24. Jan 3, 2015
    Muito interessante ver a "batalha" do Walt Disney, MUITO BEM interpretado pelo MESTRE Tom Hanks, pelos direitos de produzir o filme da “Mary Poppins”. De uma forma resumida, dá para perceber como foi 'tenso' a negociação ao longo dos seus 14 anos.
  25. Dec 23, 2013
    Saving Mr. Banks is a solid piece of entertainment. I didn't love the film, but it was entertaining enough to keep my attention. I thought the acting was solid throughout, and the depiction of P.L. Travers by Emma Thompson is the glue that holds the film together. Ms. Travers was obviously an unlikeable, thankless character in real life, and her entrance into the sugary sweet DisneySaving Mr. Banks is a solid piece of entertainment. I didn't love the film, but it was entertaining enough to keep my attention. I thought the acting was solid throughout, and the depiction of P.L. Travers by Emma Thompson is the glue that holds the film together. Ms. Travers was obviously an unlikeable, thankless character in real life, and her entrance into the sugary sweet Disney Studios is mostly fun to watch. She insists on being part of the creative process of putting the film together or she won't sign over the rights to the film. Her demands are exasperating ("No Music") or ridiculous ("No color red in the film") and she drives the creative team crazy. Tom Hanks does a nice job as Disney, and even looks a little like him in the eyes. Overall it was fun but not something I would want to see again. Expand
  26. Apr 20, 2014
    It was great seeing how P.L. Travers and Walt Disney conflicted over how to bring her novel to the big screen. The excellent performances by Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks helped make this movie what it is.

The story progression is also something i enjoyed. I liked seeing a glimpse from P.L.'s past every now and then, and how it relates to her conflict with Disney. It's a sentimental,

It's a sentimental, touching, and charming film about being at peace with your past.
  27. May 2, 2014
    A real treat for anyone who has love for the Mary Poppins movie. It tells the story of how the making of the movie took place, as well as the backstory behind the original Mary Poppins book. With a healthy mix of humor and emotion throughout, it manages to be a consistently enjoyable experience. It's also exceptionally well-cast. Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, and the rest of the cast giveA real treat for anyone who has love for the Mary Poppins movie. It tells the story of how the making of the movie took place, as well as the backstory behind the original Mary Poppins book. With a healthy mix of humor and emotion throughout, it manages to be a consistently enjoyable experience. It's also exceptionally well-cast. Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, and the rest of the cast give fantastic performances.

Just like the best Disney films, Mary Poppins included, this is a movie that has the potential to touch your heart. I know it did mine. Even if you do not have any sort of particular love for the Mary Poppins film this is still worth a watch. It's truly exceptional. I give it a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  28. Jan 19, 2014
    Good acting by Colin Farrell and Tom Hanks but as a piece of entertainment this film didn't work for me as P.L.Travers is such an awful person. Felt like an advert for the reputation of Walt Disney at times.
  29. Dec 21, 2013
    I can't believe no one is talking about Colin Farrell's performance. It's by far the best. Thompson's Travers first got on my nerves because of her incessant nagging, but I really really enjoyed the film--from the subtle themes interwoven from "Mary Poppins" to the amazing, poignant backstory, to the rewarding references of the iconic film, this movie really pays off to those who haveI can't believe no one is talking about Colin Farrell's performance. It's by far the best. Thompson's Travers first got on my nerves because of her incessant nagging, but I really really enjoyed the film--from the subtle themes interwoven from "Mary Poppins" to the amazing, poignant backstory, to the rewarding references of the iconic film, this movie really pays off to those who have cherished the story. Highly recommend it. Don't take your kids, though. This isn't for them--it's for the adults. Expand
  30. Jan 25, 2014
    A pleasant surprise in the magic Christmas movie of season, and having to celebrate it's history is pure beauty. Everyone no matter the age can reflect to their childhood and emote a connection here. Saving Mr Banks hits you with it's subject matter lead by the spirited performance from Collin Farrell who is good in everything he is in.

A fair number of people have responded with tears and laughs to Saving Mr. Banks, but I found it interminable.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    Dec 20, 2013
    A fascinating blend of brand extension and corporate history.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 20, 2013
    Saving Mr. Banks, set in 1961, is smart, delightful.