Say Anything...

8.8

1. RileyM.
    Aug 8, 2004
    I wish that there was a lloyd dobler at my school. such a classic story.
  2. PatC.
    Dec 30, 2003
    Regards adolescence as a lonely battlefield rather than a place to wallow in peer pressure. "There's lot's of guys. Don't be a guy. Be a man." This show is top of the heap for teen situation flicks.
  3. DavidL.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie shows how traditional, yet smart, storytelling, when combined with honest performances, creates something so real and exciting that one can almost forget they are watching a story about two high school students in love. This is not your typical teenage movie about sex and puppylove.
  4. BobM.
    Sep 19, 2003
    This movie is supercalafragilisticexpealidocious.
  5. Romeo
    Aug 28, 2004
    Really sweet film... too bad this never happen in real life.
  6. GenevieveN.
    Sep 24, 2004
    This film is #1 in my list John Cusack & Ione Skye give amazing performances as a teenage Romeo & Juliet.
  7. JuhaH.
    Jan 21, 2006
    The best Cameron Crowe movie! And that's saying a lot.
  8. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    A skewed love story built on the American class system. Director Cameron Crowe is a marvel.
  9. Jun 3, 2016
    I love coming of age films and Say Anything is certainly no exception. Featuring fantastic performances from John Cusack and Ione Skye, the film is the quintessential coming of age film. With iconic moment after iconic moment, Say Anything crafts a truly adorable romance that provides moments of adorableness and moments of pure comedy. Together, Cusack and Skye have incredible chemistry toI love coming of age films and Say Anything is certainly no exception. Featuring fantastic performances from John Cusack and Ione Skye, the film is the quintessential coming of age film. With iconic moment after iconic moment, Say Anything crafts a truly adorable romance that provides moments of adorableness and moments of pure comedy. Together, Cusack and Skye have incredible chemistry to help make this sweet high school dramedy come to life and feel fully authentic. Honestly, I wish Cameron Crowe still made films like this instead of, well, bad movies. Crowe really does a nice job writing and directing this one and crafts a truly nostalgic and sentimental look at the time between high school and college. Overall, Say Anything is one is the many quintessential 1980s high school films for good reasons: it's sweet, charming, and truly a riot. Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2016
    Say Anything is an excellent directorial debut for Cameron Crowe, one of my personal favorites. It hangs on to its time and you can always associate this film with the time frame it was released in. It's got all the quirkiness that became Crowe's trademark as his film career went on. The soundtrack is great which doesn't even need to be said of a Crowe film. John Cusask plays a unique, butSay Anything is an excellent directorial debut for Cameron Crowe, one of my personal favorites. It hangs on to its time and you can always associate this film with the time frame it was released in. It's got all the quirkiness that became Crowe's trademark as his film career went on. The soundtrack is great which doesn't even need to be said of a Crowe film. John Cusask plays a unique, but likeable and memorable character in Lloyd Dobler and then Ione Skye gives what is likely the best performance of her career. Say Anything is simply a classic and belongs up there with the rom com classics. Expand
  11. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Nicely written and acted but too achingly earnest and sensitive in its portrayal of first great love. The smart girl/kick boxer pairing is a bit contrived but two leads do a plausible, creditable job. Still, Crowe's cutesiness sometimes keeps the affair on the level of puppylove.
  12. May 18, 2015
    A notable performance from John Cusack here. The script sparkles with authenticity, and the stars take advantage of this. My only criticism is that it was a little slow in places and a little too long, but otherwise a fine teen flick for fans of John Hughes.
  13. Oct 26, 2014
    Say Anything...: 7 out of 10: Repeat after me; Cameron Crowe is a genus. Nobody wrote dialogue for teenagers as he did. In his films they talk like actual people. (I have never written a screenplay myself but from the evidence of the sheer number of filmed screenplays, that fail absolutely at this, I would gander that it is quite difficult.) While Fast Times at Ridgemont High created hisSay Anything...: 7 out of 10: Repeat after me; Cameron Crowe is a genus. Nobody wrote dialogue for teenagers as he did. In his films they talk like actual people. (I have never written a screenplay myself but from the evidence of the sheer number of filmed screenplays, that fail absolutely at this, I would gander that it is quite difficult.) While Fast Times at Ridgemont High created his reputation, Say Anything cemented it. There simply is not a false note in the entire film. All three leads (Ione Skye, John Cusack, and John Mahoney) are pitch perfect. The situations are realistic and flow well. The support cast is also excellent. The ending is both realistic and sweet.

While Say Anything is without faults, it also is not very memorable. Unlike the previous Fast Times at Ridgemont High, there are only a few scenes that stick out. It is a pleasant story and certainly worth a revisit if it has been twenty years since you saw it.

I on the other hand saw for the first time a few days ago. Unfortunately, I was to busy watching movies like Less than Zero in the late eighties to see Say Anything. Imagine how much better my life could have turned out if I had only allowed Mr. Crowe to guide me one more time.
  14. Apr 29, 2011
    Sometimes slow, but with smooth performances by John Cusack and Ione Skye, a great soundtrack and its mark in cultural significance, Say Anything is a great coming-of-age flick from the golden age of teen films. If you haven't seen this movie already, see it.

1. Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Sheila Benson
    A film of warmth, insight, humor and surprising originality… [It] isn't perfect, but when it's good, which is every moment John Cusack is on screen, it's a living joy. And when it's not-so-good--earthbound and not inventive enough--it s till almost single-handedly redeems the breed. [14 April 1989]
  2. Seldom have such complexity, emotional depth, honesty, and realism been invested in what is ostensibly a teen love story.
    Cusack invests such sincerity in his portrayal of Lloyd that it's impossible not to root for him to get the girl. He's the classic underdog that we all think of ourselves as -- earnest, engaging, and impossible to resist because of his flaws, rather than in spite of them.