8.9

1. ChrisS
    Sep 17, 2004
    A very earnest and stylish film noir take on the Holocaust. What was Spielberg thinking? Was he under the mistaken notion that the screenplay was based on a Raymond Chandler novel? Mind numbingly violent, overly long, pretentious and worst of all obvious. "The list is life." Thanks for pointing that out Steven, I never would have guessed.
  2. BrunoP.
    Jan 19, 2006
    Propaganda movie. So static characteristics of jews is so unrealistic. Spielberg thinks he, and his religion has no bad people, and no flaws. This is so one sided movie that it reminds me a few spots about police how they work hard, and they are such a nice guys, but everyone hates them. And this was the main point in the movie: Jews are great with no negative trait, but everyone hates Propaganda movie. So static characteristics of jews is so unrealistic. Spielberg thinks he, and his religion has no bad people, and no flaws. This is so one sided movie that it reminds me a few spots about police how they work hard, and they are such a nice guys, but everyone hates them. And this was the main point in the movie: Jews are great with no negative trait, but everyone hates them and wants to get rid of them. Expand
  3. AnshumanV.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Not that classy as believed.
  4. Apr 26, 2013
    Probably one of the most emotionally engaging films ever made. The direction of the action and the performances all ehance what is a deeply moving film. The film content is one of both horror and compassion of the war time scenes that you know really happened. It is difficult to explain the WOW factor of the film without explaining scenes but even then seeing is better than a thousandProbably one of the most emotionally engaging films ever made. The direction of the action and the performances all ehance what is a deeply moving film. The film content is one of both horror and compassion of the war time scenes that you know really happened. It is difficult to explain the WOW factor of the film without explaining scenes but even then seeing is better than a thousand words. I got to the end of the film with a tear in my eye and actually had to say wow over what a terrific display had brought over me. Liam 'I can never remove my accent completely' Neeson was superb and even thought in most films I get annoyed hearing Liam rather than the accent of the character he is meant to be on screen, I could look past the Scottish German accent he was putting on the screen.
    The Black and White of the film is the perfect choice as it sets the right tone and also ages the film to feel more like recording of the actual events than a film adaptation. It is a film I would watch again and again and it would still take my breathe away.
  5. Sep 26, 2011
    A historical drama detailing the life of Oskar Schindler, who used his money to save over a thousand Jews during the Second World War. Seen as a sort of companion piece to Spielberg's other war epic Saving Private Ryan (1998) , this film is more factual and contains less action so that when you do see it, it is all the more horrifying. I was blown away by Liam Neeson's performance and IA historical drama detailing the life of Oskar Schindler, who used his money to save over a thousand Jews during the Second World War. Seen as a sort of companion piece to Spielberg's other war epic Saving Private Ryan (1998) , this film is more factual and contains less action so that when you do see it, it is all the more horrifying. I was blown away by Liam Neeson's performance and I now consider it his best role, next only to Michael Collins. Another notable performance is Ralph Fiennes as the evil, cold blooded and militant psycho Amon Goeth, who was hung after Germany surrended for crimes against humanity. My only complaints would be that the accents are sometimes difficult to make out and that it is heavily depressing. Expand
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    A near perfect movie. Although sometimes a bit slow, Schindler's List a thoughtful and brutal portrait of the tragedy that was the Holocaust. Spielberg's directing is wonderful, but what really makes the movie are the performances from Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, which are perfect in every way.
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    There were definitely some profound glimpses of cinematic power in this beloved classic. But it bored the f**k out of me.
  8. Apr 26, 2013
    this movie is a gem there is a good movie and there is a great movie and there is a gem which is something you get to see few times in a life time Steven Spielberg is a spectacular director with this amazing ideas and amazing talent and you get to see all that in this movie from start to finish i can't really think of anything negative about this one this movie simply change your viewsthis movie is a gem there is a good movie and there is a great movie and there is a gem which is something you get to see few times in a life time Steven Spielberg is a spectacular director with this amazing ideas and amazing talent and you get to see all that in this movie from start to finish i can't really think of anything negative about this one this movie simply change your views about humanity waw. Expand
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    It's more than a film. It's an unforgettable, stylistic experience. The film is 3 hours long and you have to take in superb acting, imagery and storytelling, capturing the emotional and realism of the Holocaust. I realized I had watched a masterpiece once it had finished.
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    Simply beautiful, sad, and a masterpiece. Definitely one of Steven Spielberg's best along with E.T., Raiders, Jaws, and Saving Private Ryan. One of the most realistic movies ever made.
  11. Mar 29, 2014
    This is an extremely harrowing and toutching film. Well written, beuatifully directed and supebly acted. The cinematography is materful, never seen anything else like it. Liam Neeson and ralph finnes act so natrually together, and their performances are believable and moving. Though provoking and highly recomended film.
  12. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Schindler's List was a great movie, but I think they could have made it a bit shorter because it would still be a fantastic movie with some parts cut out.
  13. Jan 19, 2015
    Sappy, manipulative and a ridiculously oversimplified version of the Holocaust.
    Sappy, manipulative and a ridiculously oversimplified version of the Holocaust.
    Spielberg has made a name for himself in the film industry by reducing serious subjects to the lowest denominator until it's no more than any mawkish family melodrama. Why should a movie about the Holocaust be any different? Schindler's List is an aesthetic mess and exemplifies everything that's wrong about Hollywood.
    First off, the movie's primary focus is to show us how Oscar Schindler, a slave owner aiming to run his factories through jew labour for monetary profit, turns into a defender of jews' rights and the protector of their lives. But the problem is Schindler's transformation is portrayed in an extremely poor way. In fact, there is no transformation. Midpoint in the film, the Schindler persona has disappeared, and we have a new character clothed in the same flesh -- a self-sacrificing philanthropist who spends his entire amassed fortune to save the Jew workers. How did we get from one to the other?
    And then we have Amon Goeth. He's an evil, sadistic, Jew-hating Nazi - but do we get to know why he wakes up every morning, takes a swig of booze and snipes Jew prisoners for fun? No. Spielberg thinks the answer is obvious -- he's a Nazi, and Nazis don't have reasons for the things they do. The attempt to add depth to Göeth's character by dwelling on his twisted love affair with a Jewish girl is easily seen for what it is -- a cheap exposure of Nazi hypocrisy. The true intrigue, the true horror of the Holocaust does not lie in brutality alone, but rather in Hannah Arendt's "banality of evil". How can a man (or millions of men) arbitrarily narrow the moral sphere to exclude people seemingly no different from neighbours, friends and family?
    Another problem is the accent. There are English-speaking films and then there are German-speaking films. Schindler's List, on the other hand, does not belong to either of these categories. One of the truly unforgivable aspects of the film is the ending. When Schindler took off his gold ring and blubbered "I could have saved one more", I experienced a feeling of mild revulsion. Spielberg's invariable resort to sentimentality is quintessentially Hollywood, quintessentially cheesy and quintessentially inappropriate for the subject matter of the film. Schindler's List is technically brilliant but Spielberg is a director of extremely limited vision. His moral and intellectual depth is that of a child (and the funny part is Schindler's List may be the most mature movie Spielberg has made till now).
  14. Jack
    Mar 27, 2008
    A stunning film with great use of film techniques. This shocked me and showed me a part of the holocaust from the eyes of both the jews and the upper-class germans. People who think that the film is boring obviously do not have any sense of humanity and perhaps have been brainwashed by the current modern action films, where the only lift is seeing people killing others in different ways. A stunning film with great use of film techniques. This shocked me and showed me a part of the holocaust from the eyes of both the jews and the upper-class germans. People who think that the film is boring obviously do not have any sense of humanity and perhaps have been brainwashed by the current modern action films, where the only lift is seeing people killing others in different ways. Fantastic film Steven! Expand
  15. JulianP.
    May 2, 2008
    Schindler's List is a masterpiece of filmaking that modern cinema has not and will not ever see again. Plain and simple, this movie touches us in a place that a super-hero flick just cannot. Spielberg shows us just how low and just how high the human spirit can go, all while showing the world his magnificent brilliance and mastery of filmmaking.
  16. GenaroN.
    Sep 10, 2003
    One of the best representation of the holocaust horror. A movie that will touch your soul it is depressive and reflective.
  17. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Harrowing account of the Holocaust, the film is most effective when rubbing our faces in the daily insanity of Nazi brutality. Though the performances are impeccable and the writing top-notch, the film finally succumbs to formulaic contrivances and an unforgivably sappy ending.
  18. MikeN.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Spielberg just does not quite get the "art" thing, does he? The story here lacks some sort of authorial viewpoint or overarching sensibility that might save it from being sententious. Spielberg tries hard to tell the story simply------ so hard that he drains the movie of any emotions except a certain dreariness combined with an elegantly understated preachiness.
  19. ColtonM.
    Apr 21, 2005
    It made me cry.
  20. KevinBeattie
    Jan 9, 2007
    First off I would like to say that this is an excellent movie and it portrays the brutality of the Nazis treatment of Jewish prisoners. Second, to people who say this "doesnt tell the full story". That statement is absolutley moronic. Yes there are two sides to this story. The jews who were murdered, and the Nazis who murdered them. Thats the story. Did all of the germans who were Nazi First off I would like to say that this is an excellent movie and it portrays the brutality of the Nazis treatment of Jewish prisoners. Second, to people who say this "doesnt tell the full story". That statement is absolutley moronic. Yes there are two sides to this story. The jews who were murdered, and the Nazis who murdered them. Thats the story. Did all of the germans who were Nazi soldiers want to be? No some of them were forced to do what they did. But to somehow place the Germans in a position that what they did was a good thing is insane. The Nazis murdered those people. End of story. Expand
  21. R.L.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Exceptional!! Schindler's list is perhaps the best and most heartbreaking depiction of the Holocaust ever, It's a dark and heart breaking tale of one man's journey to become a hero to the Jew's of today, Liam Neeson plays Oskar Schindler a greedy factory owner who hires Jew's to minimum wage work for him. Soon enough he has all the money in the world and is happy Exceptional!! Schindler's list is perhaps the best and most heartbreaking depiction of the Holocaust ever, It's a dark and heart breaking tale of one man's journey to become a hero to the Jew's of today, Liam Neeson plays Oskar Schindler a greedy factory owner who hires Jew's to minimum wage work for him. Soon enough he has all the money in the world and is happy as can be. Or so it appears, as the film progress you see the demeanor and attitude of Schindler change dramatically when he watches the Jewish people get slaughtered like animals by the Nazi's, after that he sets his heart on the sole task if getting them out of the camps and into his country. Schindler's List is the proven example of human kindness and compassion, It's a movie that will make your heart break and make the spirit soar at his heroic feet. Schindler's List is one of the greatest films ever made and will continue to shock and amaze people for all time. I very highly recommend this movie! Expand
  22. KonradR.
    May 9, 2002
    An absolute masterpiece. Perfect in every way from cinematography to acting to music.
  23. PattyD.
    Sep 21, 2002
    This movie is a masterpiece.
  24. TheFallAndRiseOfGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jan 7, 2003
    You see, Emily V, 60 years ago much of the world was engulfed in a reasonably cataclysmic confilct that came to be known as World War II. Honestly, overrated...overrated my arse. I hate that word. It implies that the speaker is definitive in some way. Which you aren't, any more than I am. Whatever I think about it, Schindler's List - probably the greatest of a myriad of Steven You see, Emily V, 60 years ago much of the world was engulfed in a reasonably cataclysmic confilct that came to be known as World War II. Honestly, overrated...overrated my arse. I hate that word. It implies that the speaker is definitive in some way. Which you aren't, any more than I am. Whatever I think about it, Schindler's List - probably the greatest of a myriad of Steven Mastepieces - is one of the greatest, most beautiful, most tragic movies ever made. Coincidentally, I actually believe that it is one of the greatest, most beautiful, most tragic movies ever made, but that's second fiddle to how good it IS. Stay around for the coda as well - if it doesn't break your heart, you don't have one. Expand
  25. DanielG.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Spielberg's definite masterpiece. The story may be somewhat simplified although this is easily overlooked when you consider the other elements in the movie. From the acting to the cinematics, this movie not only touches you hart; it breaks it!
  26. AkhilK.
    Mar 8, 2004
    What a powerful film. One of limitless possibilties that leaves to your imagination to what these people really felt. Amazing, even the intentional humour is appropriate. One of the best movies ever made. Then why the 9? Well, let me ask you this question - Was the nudity really necessary?
  27. AndrewM.
    May 4, 2004
    I don't give many movies 10/10. There is usually some small reason to say it's not perfect. Much like why you don't see too many gymnasts given 10.0. This is one of those rare occasions where there are no faults. If you're not moved, inspired and/or educated by this film, you're not human.
  28. Daz
    Aug 14, 2004
    I can only echo many of the comments already posted about this film. I was SO moved by it when i first saw it at the cinema. I think all 14 year olds should be forced to watch this movie to show them how evil man can be. Without a doubt, one of the greatest films i have ever see, or WILL ever see.
  29. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Perspective changing and a masterpiece of filmmaking.
  30. ??
    May 21, 2005
    This is a film which touches me most.The little girl in red makes me feel the cure of the war. It is the most unforgetable picture I have ever seen.

A ruthlessly unsentimental portrait of a German war profiteer's epiphany that inspires neither sorrow nor pity, but a kind of emotional numbness.
  2. A powerful and affecting piece of work.
    What is surprising is how well Spielberg captures the horror, moving his camera with the fury of a combat photographer on the run. [17 Dec 1993]