Schindler's List

8.5

1. ShaneS.
    Feb 1, 2006
    This film is contrastable to certain brutality epics that challenge the viewer with pain and death, and greusome bloodshed that the eye can't remain toward the screen until it is finished. This, though, is a film that demands the eye remain magnetized to the screen, because truth can be that way; honest, emotional truth. To address the commenter who claimed this was a propaganda film This film is contrastable to certain brutality epics that challenge the viewer with pain and death, and greusome bloodshed that the eye can't remain toward the screen until it is finished. This, though, is a film that demands the eye remain magnetized to the screen, because truth can be that way; honest, emotional truth. To address the commenter who claimed this was a propaganda film to boast about the Jewish faith, it seems more an objective account of something that happened, more or less, to a group of people bearing the brunt of a clashing of virtues. They received the blunt end of the stick, and the director himself captured with lyrical symbology the essence of those events. People will have their opinions, but I hold that it is one of the greatest films ever made. Expand
  2. Jack
    Mar 27, 2008
    A stunning film with great use of film techniques. This shocked me and showed me a part of the holocaust from the eyes of both the jews and the upper-class germans. People who think that the film is boring obviously do not have any sense of humanity and perhaps have been brainwashed by the current modern action films, where the only lift is seeing people killing others in different ways. A stunning film with great use of film techniques. This shocked me and showed me a part of the holocaust from the eyes of both the jews and the upper-class germans. People who think that the film is boring obviously do not have any sense of humanity and perhaps have been brainwashed by the current modern action films, where the only lift is seeing people killing others in different ways. Fantastic film Steven! Expand
  3. JulianP.
    May 2, 2008
    Schindler's List is a masterpiece of filmaking that modern cinema has not and will not ever see again. Plain and simple, this movie touches us in a place that a super-hero flick just cannot. Spielberg shows us just how low and just how high the human spirit can go, all while showing the world his magnificent brilliance and mastery of filmmaking.
  4. GenaroN.
    Sep 10, 2003
    One of the best representation of the holocaust horror. A movie that will touch your soul it is depressive and reflective.
  5. ColtonM.
    Apr 21, 2005
    It made me cry.
  6. KevinBeattie
    Jan 9, 2007
    First off I would like to say that this is an excellent movie and it portrays the brutality of the Nazis treatment of Jewish prisoners. Second, to people who say this "doesnt tell the full story". That statement is absolutley moronic. Yes there are two sides to this story. The jews who were murdered, and the Nazis who murdered them. Thats the story. Did all of the germans who were Nazi First off I would like to say that this is an excellent movie and it portrays the brutality of the Nazis treatment of Jewish prisoners. Second, to people who say this "doesnt tell the full story". That statement is absolutley moronic. Yes there are two sides to this story. The jews who were murdered, and the Nazis who murdered them. Thats the story. Did all of the germans who were Nazi soldiers want to be? No some of them were forced to do what they did. But to somehow place the Germans in a position that what they did was a good thing is insane. The Nazis murdered those people. End of story. Expand
  7. R.L.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Exceptional!! Schindler's list is perhaps the best and most heartbreaking depiction of the Holocaust ever, It's a dark and heart breaking tale of one man's journey to become a hero to the Jew's of today, Liam Neeson plays Oskar Schindler a greedy factory owner who hires Jew's to minimum wage work for him. Soon enough he has all the money in the world and is happy Exceptional!! Schindler's list is perhaps the best and most heartbreaking depiction of the Holocaust ever, It's a dark and heart breaking tale of one man's journey to become a hero to the Jew's of today, Liam Neeson plays Oskar Schindler a greedy factory owner who hires Jew's to minimum wage work for him. Soon enough he has all the money in the world and is happy as can be. Or so it appears, as the film progress you see the demeanor and attitude of Schindler change dramatically when he watches the Jewish people get slaughtered like animals by the Nazi's, after that he sets his heart on the sole task if getting them out of the camps and into his country. Schindler's List is the proven example of human kindness and compassion, It's a movie that will make your heart break and make the spirit soar at his heroic feet. Schindler's List is one of the greatest films ever made and will continue to shock and amaze people for all time. I very highly recommend this movie! Expand
  8. KonradR.
    May 9, 2002
    An absolute masterpiece. Perfect in every way from cinematography to acting to music.
  9. PattyD.
    Sep 21, 2002
    This movie is a masterpiece.
  10. TheFallAndRiseOfGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jan 7, 2003
    You see, Emily V, 60 years ago much of the world was engulfed in a reasonably cataclysmic confilct that came to be known as World War II. Honestly, overrated...overrated my arse. I hate that word. It implies that the speaker is definitive in some way. Which you aren't, any more than I am. Whatever I think about it, Schindler's List - probably the greatest of a myriad of Steven You see, Emily V, 60 years ago much of the world was engulfed in a reasonably cataclysmic confilct that came to be known as World War II. Honestly, overrated...overrated my arse. I hate that word. It implies that the speaker is definitive in some way. Which you aren't, any more than I am. Whatever I think about it, Schindler's List - probably the greatest of a myriad of Steven Mastepieces - is one of the greatest, most beautiful, most tragic movies ever made. Coincidentally, I actually believe that it is one of the greatest, most beautiful, most tragic movies ever made, but that's second fiddle to how good it IS. Stay around for the coda as well - if it doesn't break your heart, you don't have one. Expand
  11. DanielG.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Spielberg's definite masterpiece. The story may be somewhat simplified although this is easily overlooked when you consider the other elements in the movie. From the acting to the cinematics, this movie not only touches you hart; it breaks it!
  12. AndrewM.
    May 4, 2004
    I don't give many movies 10/10. There is usually some small reason to say it's not perfect. Much like why you don't see too many gymnasts given 10.0. This is one of those rare occasions where there are no faults. If you're not moved, inspired and/or educated by this film, you're not human.
  13. Daz
    Aug 14, 2004
    I can only echo many of the comments already posted about this film. I was SO moved by it when i first saw it at the cinema. I think all 14 year olds should be forced to watch this movie to show them how evil man can be. Without a doubt, one of the greatest films i have ever see, or WILL ever see.
  14. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Perspective changing and a masterpiece of filmmaking.
  15. ??
    May 21, 2005
    This is a film which touches me most.The little girl in red makes me feel the cure of the war. It is the most unforgetable picture I have ever seen.
  16. OliverT>
    Jul 14, 2005
    Simplemente, es la mejor pelicula de todos los tiempos, ya que hace ver a la perfeccion la crueldad y todo lo mejor que se pueda dar en una persona, en lo que ha sido el peor episodio de la historia humana.
  17. Lucius
    Sep 1, 2005
    A real masterpiece, best movie ever made. A person who doesn't like it, is a monstrous entity with neither a heart nor a soul, period.
  18. HikaruK.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Honestly, I think this is Steven Spielberg's masterwork. Not claiming or wanting to delve into lengthy sequences of death and violence at Auschwitz or somewhere similar, it instead captures the violence in the ghettos, in work camps, and through the actions of Amon Goeth, who is played brilliantly by Ralph Fiennes. It is ultimately the story of Oskar Schindler, a man who worked Honestly, I think this is Steven Spielberg's masterwork. Not claiming or wanting to delve into lengthy sequences of death and violence at Auschwitz or somewhere similar, it instead captures the violence in the ghettos, in work camps, and through the actions of Amon Goeth, who is played brilliantly by Ralph Fiennes. It is ultimately the story of Oskar Schindler, a man who worked within the Nazi party system to save over one thousand Jewish individuals from almost certain death. It doesn't portray him as a god as he clearly had faults, but it shows that hope is possible and that people can work together to save others. But it is still very clearly about the violence of the Holocaust, almost in a numbing emotional sense. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous in this film. Black and white was the way to go. In some senses, I think it helps to keep the picture from overwhelming us and as authenticity of some newsreel from the time. The touch at the end in "present" day of the survivors and their families coming to Schindler's grave is at once touching and haunting without necessarily spelling it out for us. Haunting and moving, it is one of the most weighty and ponderous films but it never harkens from its intensity even being more than three hours. Bravo! Expand
  19. BaytotheAGetHyphy
    May 5, 2007
    This was a fantastically directed. Steven Spielberg knows how to convey any message beautifully through film. It is sad to see how brutally the Nazis treated Jews and their utter disrespect for human life. Bring some Kleenex with you when watching this film.
  20. TimTwo
    Jun 30, 2007
    You have got to be kidding me...Return of the King and an animated feature get higher scores than Schindler's List?
  21. JayH.
    Mar 7, 2008
    One of the truly greatest films of all time. It is unforgettable and haunting. Steven Spielberg's expert direction, the tremendous acting and outstanding writing make it a brilliant film in all respects.
  22. BerkeO.
    Apr 2, 2008
    This is the most beutiful film that I've ever senn!
  23. MarcinC
    Feb 23, 2009
    A flawless masterpiece...
  24. AndyW.
    Aug 10, 2009
    Forget Brando as Vito Corleone or Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter, Ralph Fiennes delivers THE greatest performance as Amon Goth in this film. Incredibly complex, chilling but somehow addictive. Spielberg's directing is sensational and although I didn't care that much for Liam Neeson as Schindler, this film still certainly deserves a 10.
  25. miker
    Aug 2, 2009
    Great piece of film making, and a great man. For Gary l. to give it a 0 is actually rather frightening.
  26. GustavoH.R.
    Dec 16, 2003
    A nearly flawless materpiece, Schindler's List is the best film I've ever seen. Powerful, beautiful, haunting. Spielberg's masterpiece.
  27. JeffG.
    Jan 3, 2003
    One of the greatest movies of ALL time. It's depressing, but it's supposed to be. Everyone should see it at some point in their life.
  28. H.K.
    Mar 18, 2003
    Cool.
  29. JackA.
    Apr 20, 2003
    Words cannot describe this movie. It simply touches the soul.
  30. JackA.
    Apr 20, 2003
    Words cannot describe this movie. It simply touches the soul.

A ruthlessly unsentimental portrait of a German war profiteer's epiphany that inspires neither sorrow nor pity, but a kind of emotional numbness.
  2. A powerful and affecting piece of work.
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Gene Siskel
    What is surprising is how well Spielberg captures the horror, moving his camera with the fury of a combat photographer on the run. [17 Dec 1993]