5.5

1. Oct 23, 2010
    Ignore the critics. I had a great time watching this hilarious adaptation of the animated TV series from the late 60s.
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    This is probably the best you're going to get attempting a live-action Scooby Doo. It's just not meant to be.
  3. raVen
    Jan 3, 2004
    (4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it tried to complicate the simplicity that made Scooby Doo Where Are You? so charming....The makers used what they thought we all liked about the idea (4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it tried to complicate the simplicity that made Scooby Doo Where Are You? so charming....The makers used what they thought we all liked about the idea (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits) and lampooned what they thought we didn't like about it (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits). They created a cynical self-promoting through self-mocking schizophrenia that is crowned at last by a matching surprise ending. I can't be sure, but I would guess that a lot of loving care went into the production of the animated classic -- campy as it might seem to many. It was innocent fun. This film has none of that, but instead the feeling that it was accomplished at the behest of royalty-hungry Hollywood creatures that may bear close resemblance to this ghastly CGI Scooby. For their part, I think the MTV-brand actors did everything they could, (not much,--but still) and I didn't mind their attempted expansion of their characters' range. But a sad mess otherwise. Expand
  4. OrigS.
    Jun 17, 2002
    Please, don't pass the scooby snacks...
  5. Jun 3, 2013
    This movie is great. Scooby and Shaggy made me laugh so much! I hope they make more because you never know what is going to happen next to the gang. Scooby Doo, where are you??
  6. Jun 5, 2012
    Ignore All The Bad Reviews From Critic's This Is A Cute Scary And Funny Movie!
    A Really Good Adaptation From Scooby-Doo Where Are You?
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    I Have Allways Loved S.D. But I Also.... Love This Movie! A Great Childrens/Teen Movie! Overall The Acting Is Very Good & Cute :D The Script Once In A While Seems Repeating Its Self...
    Overall 9!
  8. Oct 17, 2011
    Yup. The crude poster says it all....
  9. DamianF.
    Sep 5, 2002
    This is the best movie i ever watched, i liked scooby doo a lot. hope there is a sequel.
  10. JessicaC.
    Jul 9, 2002
    I luv scooby doo! its sooo fun to watch. youve got to watch it if you havent! its so funny!
  11. Jo-dT.
    Mar 25, 2003
    This movie woz ace i love scooby and all the gang.
  12. RichM.
    Jul 14, 2003
    Not a great scooby reencarnation but still a great film.
  13. RichyM.
    Jul 14, 2003
    Brilliant.
  14. AndrewB
    May 21, 2005
    Received the DVD as a free throw-away from British Telecommunications. Presumably an advertising gimmick. Watched this sat on setee with my son with my knee packed in ice after an injury and him recovering from a viral infection. Seems to sum up the film well - him recovering from vomiting and me in agony. Hopefully it'll be years and years before either of us is ill enough to watch Received the DVD as a free throw-away from British Telecommunications. Presumably an advertising gimmick. Watched this sat on setee with my son with my knee packed in ice after an injury and him recovering from a viral infection. Seems to sum up the film well - him recovering from vomiting and me in agony. Hopefully it'll be years and years before either of us is ill enough to watch it again. I recall watching the cartoons after school years and years ago. Wish I'd got myself a life and smashed the box.... British Telecommunications? A profits warning a few years ago....I hope they sacked that advertising executive....but that'll explain why they were giving away the DVD for free! No sane person would want to own one - surely not. Collapse
  15. JakeM.
    Jul 8, 2002
    Wow, I finally realized that these people who are doggin' on Scooby have every right too, the characters are far from there counterparts in the 2-D world. But I can't talk a lot of trash about this movie because even through it was a stupid kid movie, i still thought it was kinda cool. But i warn you, its also an extremely stupid movie.
  16. ErikaM.
    Nov 10, 2002
    This movie rocked! and any movie with matthew lillard in it deserves a 10! he is such a hottie and still he was in this movie with the shaggy hair! Freddie was also kida hot in this movie but blonde is not a good look for him. Velmas voice kinda bored me, and Daphnea's moves and lines werent that great. Scooby Rocked!! and scrappy was so cute. but this movie was great only cuz it had This movie rocked! and any movie with matthew lillard in it deserves a 10! he is such a hottie and still he was in this movie with the shaggy hair! Freddie was also kida hot in this movie but blonde is not a good look for him. Velmas voice kinda bored me, and Daphnea's moves and lines werent that great. Scooby Rocked!! and scrappy was so cute. but this movie was great only cuz it had matthew and freddie without them this movie wouldnt have gone over to well. Expand
  17. Sarah
    Oct 28, 2002
    And all three points go to Lillard. He IS Shaggy. Definately made for the role. Not much can be said for the rest of the cast though. Cardellini, while a babe, bored me with her dull voice. Sure, it suits Velma, but the hint of sqeakiness to it just makes my skin crawl. //The guy she got drunk with was pretty cute though. ^_~// Gellar and Prinze? Gah. Those two I have developed a stong And all three points go to Lillard. He IS Shaggy. Definately made for the role. Not much can be said for the rest of the cast though. Cardellini, while a babe, bored me with her dull voice. Sure, it suits Velma, but the hint of sqeakiness to it just makes my skin crawl. //The guy she got drunk with was pretty cute though. ^_~// Gellar and Prinze? Gah. Those two I have developed a stong sense of dislike towards. It's bad enough that Prinze's ego annoys me to no end, but Gellar's constant whining makes me want to slap her. Unfairly, I suppose. Still, good casting. These two wouldn't be able to get a more perfect role. Again, cheers to Lillard. And Scooby. Expand
  18. DagnyR.
    Jun 17, 2002
    I absolutely loved this movie.
  19. Jackieeee
    Jul 7, 2002
    Cute.
  20. Bcyahoe
    May 5, 2003
    This movie rocks my socks. I love it. Scooby doo is a god among cartoons. And is great even if he's a 3d character.
  21. TrystanS.
    Oct 29, 2002
    All I gotta say is that this was almost my favorite move, in fact it would have, all they had to do was leave stupid Scrappy out of the whole idea, and it would have been one of my all time favorites. But it works really great for Halloween.
  22. MichaelS.
    Oct 9, 2002
    Keep the dog back in it's doghouse and give the actors some advice please! It's really not good! Only the kids will like it, but than there are scary ghosts... Oh yeah, and where stays Scooby Doo 2?
  23. ChadS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    "Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. However, Lillard as Shaggy and Cardellini as Velma are fun to watch, and how they recast the surprise guest is kind of inspired. Scooby gets off one "Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. However, Lillard as Shaggy and Cardellini as Velma are fun to watch, and how they recast the surprise guest is kind of inspired. Scooby gets off one funny throwaway line, and to my surprise, looks plausible enough so the cgi doesn't drive you to distraction. "Scooby Doo" is not a good movie but it's no "Howard the Duck". Expand
  24. JordanW.
    Jul 1, 2002
    It had a great plot, very funny and all the characters seem to work very well together. I highly recomend this film, I was laughing the whole time.
  25. TrixieJ.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Very funny. If you like Freddy Prince Jr., or Matthew Lilard then you should see Scooby-Doo.
  26. JessicaP.
    Jul 8, 2002
    Oh, ppl, pulease. The ones who say Scooby Doo was terrible and had to you've gt to watch, don't listen to those cheapos. It surprising that Shaggy can last a fart for about 2 minutes in the show! LOL! that was funny.
  27. LauraB.
    Sep 2, 2002
    It was VERY GOOD!!!!
  28. ErinS.
    Apr 9, 2003
    This movie was stupid and annoying i wish i would've never seen it.
  29. christopherb
    May 21, 2005
    I laughed but four times watching this DVD. I wouldn't suggest you watch it evey day.
  30. JeffV.
    Jul 3, 2006
    If you never "got" Scooby Doo, then don't go see it; and don't rate it! I grew up with Scooby Doo, am in my 40's, and I LOVe these movies! Except for Fred and Daphnie, the characters are right-on the mark. Fred and Daphnie are actually deeper in the movie than they were in the cartoon. But it is really about Scooby, Shaggy, and the brains of Velma; In other words, it's If you never "got" Scooby Doo, then don't go see it; and don't rate it! I grew up with Scooby Doo, am in my 40's, and I LOVe these movies! Except for Fred and Daphnie, the characters are right-on the mark. Fred and Daphnie are actually deeper in the movie than they were in the cartoon. But it is really about Scooby, Shaggy, and the brains of Velma; In other words, it's not the good-looking popular types that save the day, it's the goofy or brainy misfits. A good message to children who may be feeling awkward; showing that even the fearful, goofy or nerdy ones can be cool; and usually turn out to be the coolest. A really fun nostalgic ride. And yes, we all hated Scrappy ;-) Expand
  31. ShannonH.
    Nov 2, 2002
    This movie stinks. To find out more about this movie, look up "excrement" in the dictionary.
  32. SteveD.
    Dec 6, 2002
    This could be a primer on how to make a bad movie. Start with an idiotic script. Hire an actress with just enough talent to help ruin the camp value. Toss in an awful, self-referential ending, and viola, you have this awful thing. Oh yah, and the CGI Scooby was much scarier than any of the monsters.
  33. P.T.
    Jun 17, 2002
    Wait for the DVD, it's worth checking out Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, the only living cast member true to the Doo. "Buffy" as Daphne blows. Velma neurotic? Fred vain? Please, why add false dimension to cartoon characters?
  34. JJ
    Jun 19, 2002
    One of the only movies I walked out on. TERRIBLE!
  35. TheBlob
    Jun 22, 2002
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen!
  36. LaurenD.
    Jul 11, 2002
    It would have been a lot better if they stuck to the ideas of the original show instead of modernizing it. Still a good concept though. Matthew Lillard did an awesome Shaggy. And why is it that everyone except Daphne looks like the original?
  37. P.Mcm
    Jul 27, 2002
    Everyone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myself laughing quite a few times in the very well done beginning, the funny part, but as the movie went on, it seemed to make an attempt at being an actualEveryone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myself laughing quite a few times in the very well done beginning, the funny part, but as the movie went on, it seemed to make an attempt at being an actual mystery, which didn't turn out so well. Expand
  38. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    The director takes a reasonably fun idea and turns it into a crude, dark, blasted satire, and yet it still manages to have fun with itself.
  39. DecepticonP.
    Oct 26, 2004
    Pure agony. I was really looking forward to this but the event itself was worse than being stuck in a lift with Coldplay without sharp objects to hand.
  40. GaborA.
    Apr 4, 2004
    There are brief moments of bearable humor, but its realy hard to laugh with puke in your mouth. I hated the show but nothing prepared me for the sickening vulgar disgust this movie calls jokes. And when its not stupid or vulgar its just flat out annoying. All the pills in a CVS couldnt make this watchable let alone entertaining.
  41. Rosemary
    Nov 4, 2002
    Sometimes when I take the kids to a movie the REALLY want to see, but I don't, I'm pleasantly surprised. Not this time. The term brutal comes to mind.
  42. TonyC.
    Oct 16, 2002
    This plot was meaningless, the whole "band waiting to split up" part was of course predictable. The cg scooby fouled up a lot of the scenes that could have been funnier. On the other hand, there is a LOT of Innuendo based around Sarah Michelle Gellar's characterm and that's the entire reason I decided to see it. Now, if they would only make a "Buffy" movie....
  43. MichaelR.
    Oct 18, 2002
    This is not only the worse film based on a cartoon that I have ever seen, but it is the worse summer blockbuster that I have ever seen. (Yep, there is finally something worse than Wild Wild West.)
  44. HugeA.
    Oct 28, 2002
    It was a great movie with a miss leading plot. But it was still an awesome movie!!!
  45. EarlD.
    Jun 19, 2002
    Almost unwachable.
  46. MattM.
    Jun 27, 2002
    Cute, colorful, and funny. Good for all ages, but mostly little kids will want to see this one.
  47. LarryM.
    Jul 25, 2002
    One of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Very little plot and immature characters make this a nonsense of a film.
  48. May 11, 2011
    Like many others, I enjoyed and liked this film as a kid. But now, as an adult, I can proclaim that this is a true piece of crap. First things first, Matthew Lillard plays the role of Shaggy brilliantly, it's like the dear (alleged) stoner has been brought to life. Shame about everyone else. The other actors play the role as best as they can, but can't overcome this weak script. Scooby andLike many others, I enjoyed and liked this film as a kid. But now, as an adult, I can proclaim that this is a true piece of crap. First things first, Matthew Lillard plays the role of Shaggy brilliantly, it's like the dear (alleged) stoner has been brought to life. Shame about everyone else. The other actors play the role as best as they can, but can't overcome this weak script. Scooby and Scrappy look so fake, theres no way anyone would mistake them for real dogs. And of all the villians to bring into the film, why ue none of them and make Scrappy, the most annoying thing about the cartoon, the bloody villian? The plot is nonsensical, the jokes aren't funny at all and the villians are ill concieved. The traps aren't even as good as the cartoons. At least Sarah Michelle Geller gets to kick ass, Buffy style Like the flintsones, alvin and the chipmunks, Garfield and many (MANY) others, a live action film of a cartoon show does not work. Is there any good live action films based on cartoons? Apart from Death Note and Transformers (1st one), I don't think so. (I'd like to hear if you think theres actually any good live action films based on cartoons, just comment) Just shudder in anticipation for the Smurfs movie Expand
  49. Mar 5, 2011
    I am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added some cursing and sex jokes, just like the new tv shows this movie can't seem to get what Scooby Doo is (or was), which is a shame because I was reallyI am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added some cursing and sex jokes, just like the new tv shows this movie can't seem to get what Scooby Doo is (or was), which is a shame because I was really looking forward to this movie, but was sadly disappointed. Expand
  50. Dec 3, 2011
    This Scooby-Doo movie may have occasional strange humor, but the mystery and story of the movie make sense enough that you can enjoy it. You may like the silliness.
  51. Feb 22, 2013
    Scooby-Doo was one of the cartoons I grew up with as a kid, plus this came out when I was about 6 or 7 so I grew up with the films too and back then they were awesome, but now...not so much.
    Scooby-Doo opens with the case of the Luna Ghost in which Mystery Inc disband due to disagreements which have been piling up over years. 2 years later they are all invited to Spooky Island by Emile Mondavarious to solve a new mystery. However as they try to work individually to solve the mystery they realise they need each other and that this is no normal mystery, that it could lead to the end of the world.
    Scooby-Doo is a great kids film but there is nothing there to satisfy anyone older than 9. The story is poorly written, acting is shoddy (a big surprise seeing as Matthew Lillard from films such as Scream Final Destination plays Shaggy), CGI is poor at best and the camerawork editing are atrocious.
    As a 90 minute episode of the TV series this would have been great, but as a live action standalone title Scooby-Doo the movie just doesn't quite cut it to be an averagely good kids film due to some rookie mistakes, but I'm sure the kids will love it either way.
  52. May 18, 2012
    A great family movie if you have kids that like the Scooby-Doo cartoons, then you should definitely watch this with them. Matthew Lillard plays the perfect Shaggy, he sounds like the original cartoon version. And is now playing the voice of the character on the new Scooby-Doo cartoon. Linda Cardellini also did great in her role as Velma. And Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr didA great family movie if you have kids that like the Scooby-Doo cartoons, then you should definitely watch this with them. Matthew Lillard plays the perfect Shaggy, he sounds like the original cartoon version. And is now playing the voice of the character on the new Scooby-Doo cartoon. Linda Cardellini also did great in her role as Velma. And Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr did good too. Expand
  53. Jul 14, 2012
    It's not an abomination, but it really is an insult to the TV show that I love so much. I loved Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, though, as he stole every scene he was in. The rest of the cast wasn't as good, the story was lame and only a few of the jokes were funny. Watch the show instead.
  54. Dec 23, 2013
    Not funny, immature and a complete insult to the cartoon that it was based on. This is a film that my entire family remembers in infamy. It is the only film that we all agree on a rating for and that rating that we agree on is: terrible. If you like fart jokes and fourth grader style humor this is the movie for you. If not avoid at all costs.
  55. Jan 12, 2013
    It is entertaining and fun.
  56. Mar 19, 2013
    I read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts, particularly Lillard who seems like he was born to play this role. Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze Jr on the other hand do look the part, butI read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts, particularly Lillard who seems like he was born to play this role. Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze Jr on the other hand do look the part, but unfortunately it is hard to see them as their characters as they are a bit too high profile for the roles they are playing. Overall this is movie perhaps tries to be a bit too serious at times but is overall good for some plain old fun. Expand
  57. Sep 20, 2014
    Not bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said a million times before, Mathew Lillard was the perfect Shaggy. He sounds like him, he acts like him, and he looks like him. It might not even haveNot bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said a million times before, Mathew Lillard was the perfect Shaggy. He sounds like him, he acts like him, and he looks like him. It might not even have been on purpose. He seems like Shaggy in everything he's in, but that doesn't detract from his performance here. The tone's also not very self serious which helps out a lot. Bottom line, the movie's alright, but it's also nothing great. It's formulaic and lacking in inspiration, but it could have been a whole lot worse. In fact, it probably should have been a whole lot worse. I can easily imagine a painfully bad version of this movie. Expand
  58. Jun 20, 2013
    The movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that are innapropriate for little kids but that they wouldn't understand, that were there for adults only. Shaggy and Velma actually felt pretty spot-on,The movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that are innapropriate for little kids but that they wouldn't understand, that were there for adults only. Shaggy and Velma actually felt pretty spot-on, characterization and visual-wise, but, Fred and Daphne were off. Fred was arrogant, and Daphne was whiney, which just didn't feel right for either of them. It's sort of a fun movie, but, it has a lot of failed moments and feels like wasted potential. Expand
  59. Mar 12, 2014
    Incompetent, silly, and poorly made, the live action Scooby-Doo rehash sucks. It offers little redemption of any kind for its countless flaws. Pass on it.
  60. Jun 8, 2014
    Pure nostalgia fuel. Not a very good film in the traditional sense, but a very enjoyable guilty pleasure for even this big Scooby-Doo fan. If one thing is for certain, kids will love this movie!
  61. Jan 12, 2014
    On New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split up which leaves Shaggy and Scooby. Later on, they are all invited to an island called Spooky Island where they have to solve the mystery of the visitorsOn New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split up which leaves Shaggy and Scooby. Later on, they are all invited to an island called Spooky Island where they have to solve the mystery of the visitors being cursed.

Some of the things I liked about the movie would have to be the fact that it pretty much retained the Scooby Doo cartoony action and the fight scene with Daphne and Zarkos. It also has a plotline which you would normally find in a cartoon. I like how they made Scrappy Doo the villain this time as he was an annoyance in the cartoon. He was the main reason why the Scooby Doo franchise was ruined in the first place.

The main problems with the movie were the humor at times was a bit too mature, the higher level of violence and mostly the use of mild language in a movie based on the children's cartoon (it is most notable in the ending cutscene when Scrappy says "I would have got away with it if it weren't for you meddling son of a-". I felt that the movie would have done better without those additions.

Overall, I think it is best that kids avoid this movie as it is more violent than the cartoons, it has humor that they will not understand and there is mild language in certain parts. Some people might find the movie good though but others may want to avoid this movie.
  62. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hate this movie, it is just horrible, the CGI is **** the movie tries to parody the original show, but fails horribly, the actors are awful, and for some **** reason they made Scrappy-Doo the villain, which is **** stupid. Expand

As live-action adaptations of cheap, unapologetically stupid cartoons go, this is top of the line: The cast is appealing, the sets brightly colored and fun to look at, the mystery as lame and goofy as any featured in the many inexplicably beloved Scooby-Doo cartoons.
  2. Bland, inoffensive, formulaic and occasionally amusing - just like the animated kids' show that inspired it.
    This excruciating adaptation of the innocuous '70s cartoon show makes the film version of "Josie and the Pussycats" look sophisticated by comparison.