Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

8.2

1. May 27, 2011
    Side characters more interesting than main, Cera playing as same as always, stupid and rushed plot - all dragging this movie down; Nothing new or special in this movie.
  2. Nov 20, 2010
    Just like others before me, I am a gamer. I enjoy manga, comics, reading up on the game industry, etc. Obviously I could be categorized as a person who would enjoyed this film, but this film was horrible. It was not due to the gaming references or the corny one liners littered throughout the movie, but rather, the love story itself that was carelessly woven for Scott and Ramona. It's notJust like others before me, I am a gamer. I enjoy manga, comics, reading up on the game industry, etc. Obviously I could be categorized as a person who would enjoyed this film, but this film was horrible. It was not due to the gaming references or the corny one liners littered throughout the movie, but rather, the love story itself that was carelessly woven for Scott and Ramona. It's not the emotionally moving, heart felt, passionate sort of love that would move anyone. In fact, it felt selfish and obnoxious. I really felt bad for Knives who seemed more likeable than Ramona, and better fit for Scott. The other characters were barely worth mentioning aside from Scott's gay room-mate who, at-least, brought some comic relief. Either way, the main character himself, Scott, is flat and uninspiring. And the story only got worse whenever the 7 ex-boyfriends were thrown in for good old mindless showdowns that have absolutely nothing to do with what this movie really is: a romantic comedy. Let me repeat this: This is not an action movie. It's for Twilight-look alike, wannabe gamers that give the rest of us a new reason to be ashamed. Maybe one day, someone can make a gamer inspired movie that doesn't make us all look like selfish, unappealing, attention deficient pre-teens. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2011
    If you check my account you will see that im a bit of a gamer. That being said, this movie is a stinker. The whole video games sketch as special effects just looks lame. If you dislike cheesiness like in the Twillight series then you will sure as hell dislike this. This ones a stinker folks.
  4. Jan 4, 2011
    Terrible, just, terrible movie. Sorry but not my type of movie and I don't see why anyone would like it... There are like no funny scenes and the plot was retarded as it was unrealistic as hell and wasn't funny
  5. Jul 13, 2011
    This is a pure unadulterated CRINGE FEST from start to finish. It is a pretentious arty/farty emo annoying musical pile of poop. My toes curled throughout and we had to admit defeat and switch it off half way through. DO NOT WATCH! This is my number one most hated film with LOVE ACTUALLY a close second.
  6. Aug 22, 2010
    Outside of the razzle-dazzle effects, which grow old by battle #3 (Brandon Routh), the movie has no substance. I never cared one iota about any of the characters and by #4 couldn't wait for it to end. There were a few laughs here and there but over all this is a stinker with sprinkles on top.
  7. Jan 24, 2011
    Terrible unfunny movie for hipsters and closet nerds. Cant believe this hype on this trash. The only people who would think this movie is funny are 5 year old's.
  8. Aug 16, 2010
    Are you kidding me? This movie is a commentary on what most individuals see the young generation in the United States as; whiny, hopped up on video games, and way too involved with themselves. Wright decides to alienate movie goers not familiar with the graphic novel by bombarding the screen with bright lights and colors, while forgetting to develop characters and story into something theAre you kidding me? This movie is a commentary on what most individuals see the young generation in the United States as; whiny, hopped up on video games, and way too involved with themselves. Wright decides to alienate movie goers not familiar with the graphic novel by bombarding the screen with bright lights and colors, while forgetting to develop characters and story into something the average movie goer can connect with. Unless you left your house playing video games to go see this movie, and then immediately after the movie went back to your Zelda game to see if you could complete it before your Mom came downstairs to tell you it was bedtime, even though you are in your 30's, this movie is not for you. The one redeeming quality was the soundtrack was pretty enjoyable. The Sex Bom-Ombs were a quirky ode to punk and alternative rock, while the theme of underground "independent" music played a nice backdrop of normality and reality to Scott's world of self absorbed nerds and cliches. Seriously, what was this movie about? The only thing I took away from it was that if this is the "game changer" that so many reviewers think it is, we have a bleak future of movies ahead of us. Expand
  9. Aug 22, 2010
    Jesus Christ! When will you people learn... This movie is rubbish.
    Jesus Christ! When will you people learn... This movie is rubbish.
    The plot is awful (see Biodome), the style of the movie is unoriginal (see Blur (PC Game)), the acting was obviously as bad as it will always be with Michael Cera (see Arrested Development). This movie does not succeed in any genre whether it be romantic comedy, drama or action. Scott Tobias has a habit of overrating movies, but he gives a good review with "So why, given its moment-to-moment surplus of visual imagination, does the film feel so hollow and unsatisfying?". Also to other amateur reviewers out there who say "I can definitely see how a critic or viewer would give it a low score, because they just don't get it. It doesn't interest them. It's ok! It won my heart". That's exactly what Twilight fans say on Metacritic. I went into this movie expecting something different and amazing like something from Charlie Kaufman, but instead i find a movie with no real plot just doing something random to keep the idiots watching from becoming bored. Oh and in case any of you are ageists, I'm 18 and i love playing video games.
  10. Aug 13, 2010
    First off, I love comics, videogames, music, and action movies, which everyone says is a prerequiste for seeing this movie. Just because I like those things doesn't mean I'm going to like them trivialized and thrown into a Gen-Y blender. It was a romantic comedy with annoying, eye straining visual effects. Also, it's some of Michael Cera's worst acting to date. He's still playing the sameFirst off, I love comics, videogames, music, and action movies, which everyone says is a prerequiste for seeing this movie. Just because I like those things doesn't mean I'm going to like them trivialized and thrown into a Gen-Y blender. It was a romantic comedy with annoying, eye straining visual effects. Also, it's some of Michael Cera's worst acting to date. He's still playing the same part he's been playing since Arrested Development. Don't believe the previews! This IS NOT a kung fu/action movie. It's a romantic comedy that makes a few trite references to videogames. As a big fan of Mr. Wright, but not of the source material, I was a bit apprehensive, and I can see why. It just came across as a jumbled mess.

Yeah, that's what I want in my movies, 8 million pop culture references but no original humor of it's own. Also, the Batman-era "KAPOWs!" and "WHAMMOs! were the most annoying trend I've ever seen return to the screen. Batman did that to cover up the fact that there was no action happening on screen
  11. Dec 28, 2010
    Where to begin. How do films like this actually succeed in this day and age? The acting makes you cringe. It follows a simple hollywood layout. It's predictable. And i ask you, what is this modern day obsession with a geeky persona being so 'cool'. It's mindnumming. Such a typical American film - designed for plebs and half-wits.
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely terrible adaption of the comics. They pretty much got evertyhing wrong about what made the source material so great. Michael Cera is a terrible choice for Scott.
  13. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I have no idea how so many people like this movie as it's mediocre at best. Yes I'm a nerd too. Yes its neat that they referenced some video game stuff. Is that really supposed to be enough for me to root for a total ass of a main character? From the start, this guy has a girlfriend who really loves him, and he ditches her all the sudden cause he likes some other girl more from having a short conversation with her. We also learn that he was dating the drummer of his band and ditched her too for some reason. Not to mention he learns that the new girl he wants is a whore. Doesn't matter, he really likes how she looks or something so he sticks with her. Seriously? Random video game references are enough for everyone to ignore the fact that the main character of this movie is a total jerk who doesn't care about any of the women who have miraculously cared about him?

News flash. Us nerds do not get attention from females like that. Not even close. Making the main character the focus of so much female attention and having him basically ignore them and treat them like crap is reprehensible. But apparently the +7 million points at the end made up for it? *sigh*

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    A package of cinematic Pop Rocks, a neon-hued, defiantly non-nutritive confection that nonetheless makes you laugh at its sheer bold novelty.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    The movie is of this precise moment and you should probably see it now, since it will be dated by next Tuesday.
  3. Put simply: Scott Pilgrim is a blast! The total package is a wildly comic journey into the head of a true original. If you are under 25 you will find all of it really, really funny.