8.0

1. Aug 22, 2010
    Jesus Christ! When will you people learn... This movie is rubbish.
    The plot is awful (see Biodome), the style of the movie is unoriginal (see Blur (PC Game)), the acting was obviously as bad as it will always be with Michael Cera (see Arrested Development). This movie does not succeed in any genre whether it be romantic comedy, drama or action. Scott Tobias has a habit of overrating
    movies, but he gives a good review with "So why, given its moment-to-moment surplus of visual imagination, does the film feel so hollow and unsatisfying?". Also to other amateur reviewers out there who say "I can definitely see how a critic or viewer would give it a low score, because they just don't get it. It doesn't interest them. It's ok! It won my heart". That's exactly what Twilight fans say on Metacritic. I went into this movie expecting something different and amazing like something from Charlie Kaufman, but instead i find a movie with no real plot just doing something random to keep the idiots watching from becoming bored. Oh and in case any of you are ageists, I'm 18 and i love playing video games. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2010
    First off, I love comics, videogames, music, and action movies, which everyone says is a prerequiste for seeing this movie. Just because I like those things doesn't mean I'm going to like them trivialized and thrown into a Gen-Y blender. It was a romantic comedy with annoying, eye straining visual effects. Also, it's some of Michael Cera's worst acting to date. He's still playing the same part he's been playing since Arrested Development. Don't believe the previews! This IS NOT a kung fu/action movie. It's a romantic comedy that makes a few trite references to videogames. As a big fan of Mr. Wright, but not of the source material, I was a bit apprehensive, and I can see why. It just came across as a jumbled mess.

Yeah, that's what I want in my movies, 8 million pop culture references but no original humor of it's own. Also, the Batman-era "KAPOWs!" and "WHAMMOs! were the most annoying trend I've ever seen return to the screen. Batman did that to cover up the fact that there was no action happening on screen
  3. Aug 16, 2010
    Are you kidding me? This movie is a commentary on what most individuals see the young generation in the United States as; whiny, hopped up on video games, and way too involved with themselves. Wright decides to alienate movie goers not familiar with the graphic novel by bombarding the screen with bright lights and colors, while forgetting to develop characters and story into something the average movie goer can connect with. Unless you left your house playing video games to go see this movie, and then immediately after the movie went back to your Zelda game to see if you could complete it before your Mom came downstairs to tell you it was bedtime, even though you are in your 30's, this movie is not for you. The one redeeming quality was the soundtrack was pretty enjoyable. The Sex Bom-Ombs were a quirky ode to punk and alternative rock, while the theme of underground "independent" music played a nice backdrop of normality and reality to Scott's world of self absorbed nerds and cliches. Seriously, what was this movie about? The only thing I took away from it was that if this is the "game changer" that so many reviewers think it is, we have a bleak future of movies ahead of us. Expand
  4. Nov 20, 2010
    Just like others before me, I am a gamer. I enjoy manga, comics, reading up on the game industry, etc. Obviously I could be categorized as a person who would enjoyed this film, but this film was horrible. It was not due to the gaming references or the corny one liners littered throughout the movie, but rather, the love story itself that was carelessly woven for Scott and Ramona. It's not the emotionally moving, heart felt, passionate sort of love that would move anyone. In fact, it felt selfish and obnoxious. I really felt bad for Knives who seemed more likeable than Ramona, and better fit for Scott. The other characters were barely worth mentioning aside from Scott's gay room-mate who, at-least, brought some comic relief. Either way, the main character himself, Scott, is flat and uninspiring. And the story only got worse whenever the 7 ex-boyfriends were thrown in for good old mindless showdowns that have absolutely nothing to do with what this movie really is: a romantic comedy. Let me repeat this: This is not an action movie. It's for Twilight-look alike, wannabe gamers that give the rest of us a new reason to be ashamed. Maybe one day, someone can make a gamer inspired movie that doesn't make us all look like selfish, unappealing, attention deficient pre-teens. Expand
  5. Aug 22, 2010
    Outside of the razzle-dazzle effects, which grow old by battle #3 (Brandon Routh), the movie has no substance. I never cared one iota about any of the characters and by #4 couldn't wait for it to end. There were a few laughs here and there but over all this is a stinker with sprinkles on top.
  6. Aug 18, 2010
    Sorry guys, I just could not catch on to the cleverness in the movie that everyone is claiming. I think its the cleverness in the visual effects that this is where its receiving its praise from. Honestly, its another example where its all style and no substance. Same atmosphere of Avatar, where its great visuals serve as a substitute for its clumsy storyline. To watch my review of this film go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIH8WX1Kx2E. I LOVE METACRITIC Expand
  7. May 27, 2011
    Side characters more interesting than main, Cera playing as same as always, stupid and rushed plot - all dragging this movie down; Nothing new or special in this movie.
  8. Jan 27, 2011
    If you check my account you will see that im a bit of a gamer. That being said, this movie is a stinker. The whole video games sketch as special effects just looks lame. If you dislike cheesiness like in the Twillight series then you will sure as hell dislike this. This ones a stinker folks.
  9. Dec 28, 2010
    Where to begin. How do films like this actually succeed in this day and age? The acting makes you cringe. It follows a simple hollywood layout. It's predictable. And i ask you, what is this modern day obsession with a geeky persona being so 'cool'. It's mindnumming. Such a typical American film - designed for plebs and half-wits.
  10. Jan 4, 2011
    Terrible, just, terrible movie. Sorry but not my type of movie and I don't see why anyone would like it... There are like no funny scenes and the plot was retarded as it was unrealistic as hell and wasn't funny
  11. Jan 24, 2011
    Terrible unfunny movie for hipsters and closet nerds. Cant believe this hype on this trash. The only people who would think this movie is funny are 5 year old's.
  12. Jul 13, 2011
    This is a pure unadulterated CRINGE FEST from start to finish. It is a pretentious arty/farty emo annoying musical pile of poop. My toes curled throughout and we had to admit defeat and switch it off half way through. DO NOT WATCH! This is my number one most hated film with LOVE ACTUALLY a close second.
  13. Sep 1, 2010
    I guess I didn't get this movie. Perhaps I would have gotten it, and I might have like it better, if I had experience with video games and/or was familiar with the graphic novel. As it was, I found myself bored at times. Therefore I recommend that you skip it unless you know modern video games. Maybe it gave this 60 year-old some sense of what it is like to be a 17 to 23 year old nowadays? But I'm not sure that is worth the price of admission. Expand
  14. Oct 6, 2013
    I started out fairly enjoying this movie. It had a cool premise and stayed true to it's roots but the more I watched it the less I liked it. The characters just started to not be likeable. Michael Cera's acting wasn't fun to watch and I could really care less. The girl he was after (Ramona) just didn't seem worth the effort. I just had no feelings while watching the movie. Maybe I didn't enjoy it because it's my was my ex's favorite movie but I just stopped enjoying it midway through. Expand
  15. Aug 20, 2010
    Scott Pilgrim... is a really tough one to critique... on the one hand, the movie is unique and imaginative â
  16. Sep 4, 2010
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World is interesting and creative, for the first half of its run. After that the peformances dwindle to nothing as the screen explodes with colors, flashy effects, and cartoonish fighting. None of which is terribly interesting.
  17. Feb 1, 2011
    The visual style on the movie is great, but the lack of explanation and poor storyline just makes it absolutely boring. Perhaps those who actually read the comics can understand what's going on, but I simply could not.
  18. May 16, 2011
    As a life-long gamer, I was pegged by some friends as the target audience of this movie, despite the fact that I did not get a good vibe from the trailer. I watched it yesterday to see what all the fuss was about, only to be disappointed. I really wanted to like the movie, but I just couldn't.

My primary complaint is Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. Every line he delivered grated on my
    nerves. He is the portrait of everything that is wrong with the subculture this movie represents - quiet, weak, socially inept, and snide in a completely self-aware way. The "friends" in this movie don't treat each other very well.

It's very clear where the movie is going right off the bat, so I looked for enjoyment in the journey. Unfortunately, there isn't much. You have these disposable and predictable characters entering only to vanish once and for all from the movie.

Another big gripe is the abundant number of gay jokes, none of which were funny. I have a gay roommate, did I mention he is gay? He's the gay one! Let's watch him be gay and laugh at the gay things he doesâ
  19. Sep 6, 2013
    The visual novel that this movie originates from tells a witty, quirky, engaging coming of age story. What it was made out to be, however is a romantic comedy action flick. If you expect(ed) more from this film, do yourself a favor and watch the Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation (it's four minutes long), and if you've liked it, just read the novel instead.
  20. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely terrible adaption of the comics. They pretty much got evertyhing wrong about what made the source material so great. Michael Cera is a terrible choice for Scott.
  21. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I have no idea how so many people like this movie as it's mediocre at best. Yes I'm a nerd too. Yes its neat that they referenced some video game stuff. Is that really supposed to be enough for me to root for a total ass of a main character? From the start, this guy has a girlfriend who really loves him, and he ditches her all the sudden cause he likes some other girl more from having a short conversation with her. We also learn that he was dating the drummer of his band and ditched her too for some reason. Not to mention he learns that the new girl he wants is a whore. Doesn't matter, he really likes how she looks or something so he sticks with her. Seriously? Random video game references are enough for everyone to ignore the fact that the main character of this movie is a total jerk who doesn't care about any of the women who have miraculously cared about him?

News flash. Us nerds do not get attention from females like that. Not even close. Making the main character the focus of so much female attention and having him basically ignore them and treat them like crap is reprehensible. But apparently the +7 million points at the end made up for it? *sigh*

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    A package of cinematic Pop Rocks, a neon-hued, defiantly non-nutritive confection that nonetheless makes you laugh at its sheer bold novelty.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    The movie is of this precise moment and you should probably see it now, since it will be dated by next Tuesday.
  3. Put simply: Scott Pilgrim is a blast! The total package is a wildly comic journey into the head of a true original. If you are under 25 you will find all of it really, really funny.