8.3

1. ChadS.
    Sep 23, 2003
    It's not fair to Haley Joel Osment, but we miss his old voice. He must miss it too. Osment's performance is surprisingly one-note, as if afraid his voice will crack. The storybook flashbacks are to be endured, as long as we know it's a fabrication that hides a darker history. But "Secondhand Lions" stupidly endorses the fiction because it's a movie for children. And It's not fair to Haley Joel Osment, but we miss his old voice. He must miss it too. Osment's performance is surprisingly one-note, as if afraid his voice will crack. The storybook flashbacks are to be endured, as long as we know it's a fabrication that hides a darker history. But "Secondhand Lions" stupidly endorses the fiction because it's a movie for children. And yet, there's a scene of child abuse that's too brutal, and an ensuing scene, in which Osment's actions seem improbable. Logic is ignored so mom can hug son. It rings false because Kyra Sedgwick's character has no redeeming features, so we wince, because the film doesn't seem to know it. Expand
  2. PatC.
    Nov 29, 2004
    An interesting concept piece, but even Duvall and Caine can't save it from one-dimensional characters, Osment's overacting and an atrocious application of the musical score. There is something deeply flawed in a movie where the most interesting thing is the expressions of dogs watching the action.

Writer-director Tim McCanlies works in broad, kid-friendly strokes, and he's not afraid to lay on the sentiment, but his cast makes sure it's well-earned.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    The self-consciousness is unintentionally touching, but it wet-blankets the film into a thirdhand lark.
  3. The only saving grace is that Caine and Duvall don’t overdo the southern-coot stuff.