7.3

1. Jun 23, 2012
    As several other users have noted, this is not a rom-com, but a true story of romance. It takes some time to get there, but it's a moving film. Interestingly, the end of the movie reminded me of the end of Melancholia, but it's not nearly as ponderous and heavy as the latter. Steve Carell is terrific as usual in a very earnest role, and Knightly is a good casting choice. There are aAs several other users have noted, this is not a rom-com, but a true story of romance. It takes some time to get there, but it's a moving film. Interestingly, the end of the movie reminded me of the end of Melancholia, but it's not nearly as ponderous and heavy as the latter. Steve Carell is terrific as usual in a very earnest role, and Knightly is a good casting choice. There are a bunch of great comedians (Rob Cordry, Amy Schumer) that round out the cast effectively - especially during the free-for-all segments. Finally, a quick note that T.J. Miller steals the show with his role as the host at a TJI Friday's type of restaurant that's still operating amidst the chaos. He's consistently funny in every movie he's a part of (She's Out of My League, etc.) and deserves to be a lead. Expand
  2. BKM
    Dec 31, 2012
    The movie bobs and weaves in such a way that you never really know what to expect. While that is part of its charm, it also hinders it from being a wholly satisfying experience since it seems to be pulling in several different directions at once. Still, Carell and Knightley share an effortless chemistry that keeps things afloat and provides unexpected poignancy.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Although the film engages it's viewers by the second half with a drama that surprisingly tug's on the heart, the first half is unfunny and unengaging. Nothing can be worst then continuous gags that completely fall flat. The film is probably a 5, but I gave it a bonus mark for having the audacity to deliver the ending that it did.
  4. Jan 27, 2013
    It is unclear where this movie might have been taking the audience, but in the end, it brings it all together in a rather truly convincing love story and a bitter reality of the world.
  5. Jun 29, 2012
    1. just wanted to mention that I don't understand why this website is not working with mozilla firefox... 2. ok so the movie was pretty decent. I feel like it was sold as a comedy but it defintely isn't. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the genre; perhaps a loveish story. The plot and acting were good. Only thing is that I somehow doubt people would act the way portrayed in the movie1. just wanted to mention that I don't understand why this website is not working with mozilla firefox... 2. ok so the movie was pretty decent. I feel like it was sold as a comedy but it defintely isn't. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the genre; perhaps a loveish story. The plot and acting were good. Only thing is that I somehow doubt people would act the way portrayed in the movie if the world was ending in 3 weeks (parties, radio still playing, all power still on, etc), so that takes away a little from the plot. Otherwise the movie is touching and sad at the same time which is an interesing combination of feelings. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2012
    I'm torn about how I feel about this movie. On one hand it's good to see a movie that treats the moviegoer as an adult. On the other, it's a pretty melancholic movie that's not that fun to watch. Serious movies are great but I wasn't ready for it for this movie...
  7. Jun 22, 2012
    Friend is too timid, plays things too safely, and shows us why post-apocalyptic insurance policies have their drawbacks.

If the world were to end in three weeks, how would you spend it? Would you go to work to keep consistency? Maybe spend time with family? Seeking a Friend For The End of The World doesn't delve into that question too deeply, but instead lumbers rather weakly through a script that wants to be quirky/serious, yet never finds its rhythm and fails to convince audiences it's worth their time to bother. An asteroid named Matilda is about to hit the Earth, and insurance salesman Dodge (Steve Carell, 40-Year Old Virgin) has just witnessed his wife leave him to indulge herself in the final days, literally getting out of the car and running off. Dodge's boring life is immaculate and pristine, yet he's never taken the big chances, opting for safety and security in his job and marriage. He meets the spirited 26-year-old neighbor Brit Penny (Keira Knightley, Pirates of The Caribbean series), who has just broken up with her boyfriend. Her character seems peeled off from John Cusak's High Fidelity: a pot-smoking vinyl record collector and a headcase who suffers from hypersomnia (can't wake up once she starts sleeping), which is conveniently used as an eighth-inning plot point. Dodge learns that his high school sweetheart Olivia is trying to reach out to him, and so with Penny in tow he sets out to find her. There are some funny scenes along the way, including a couple of cameos and a journey to a local restaurant where everyone seems tripped out on drugs, serving unique combinations of dishes on the menu. It's a funny scene, but we don't have time for laughing as the dower Dodge has to find his lost love. Eventually, he mysteriously realizes that he must make a choice between Olivia and car-mate Penny, who he has fallen for along the way. Like we didn't see that one coming - the couple's "opposites attract" exchange midway through arrives just in time set to address this seemingly large plot hole. Dodge knows that Penny would like to see her family in London one last time, and so the two make a trip to see Dodge's father who left the family 25 years ago (cue cameo #2) but owns that plane to get Penny home. These scenes with dad are fairly touching, but it's just a play for the end of the film with no real closure for son and father. As the world comes to an end, audiences will no doubt debate the end of Friend, which I suppose is the point, but it won't make you feel any better to do so.

Friend suffers from several avoidable but critical errors which ultimately ruin the film. Our improbable leads give off zero chemistry, with Carell arriving with nothing more than a mix of his characters from The Office and Crazy, Stupid, Love. He's really a black hole, sucking all of Knightley's high energy and charm with his blank stares and boring comments about the world coming undone and the choices he's made. Director Lorene Scafaria, who makes her debut with Friend, can't seem to wake Carell out of his melancholy funk, leaving us to wonder if she should have chosen a more dynamic male who could play boring to Knightley's quirkiness. But it's not the only thing that betrays Friend: the ending is so clearly established that our leads will fall in love from the First Act that it's simply a matter of how they will get there. Granting the audience such clairvoyance is not a bad thing, so long as you keep them invested in the characters. Sadly, this fails to happen, as there's not enough time in the 101-minute movie to form a real bond between Penny and Dodge, opting instead for the ease of falling in love because the world is ending rather than seeking a real partner to die with. Friend also suffers from other storytelling snafus: minus a few riots, the world seems strangely low-key in preparing for the end, with people still mowing their lawns and trying to maintain order. We're left with a montage of oddly low-key and emotionally peaceful events of happy people celebrating the end of the world as Carell limps his way through the script before settling on the girl next door. Once that happens, these intended touching scenes merely come off as more uncomfortable than destined. I didn't realize that the end of the world would be so soft, gentle, and boring; but Friend doesn't have the wherewithal to suggest more than that. I have to admit that Scafaria shoots a nice scene and will probably go on to make good films, but she's not there yet as a writer, as Friend never finds its voice beyond the standard and silly WTF moments of a world about to end. Friend betrays itself with an uneven story and the miscasting of Steve Carell. The enormous possibilities which Scafaria has at her command become lost fairly early, turning funny quirk to dreary and to an ultimately unsatisfying conclusion.
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    First and foremost; it should be mentioned that this is not a comedy. It has some comedic moments, but overall, it does not belong in that genre. The number one thing keeping it from that is it's overall sense of impending doom and Steve Carrell's character's reaction to the coming apocalypse. It's a very emotional film that most people won't appreciate because their expectations will beFirst and foremost; it should be mentioned that this is not a comedy. It has some comedic moments, but overall, it does not belong in that genre. The number one thing keeping it from that is it's overall sense of impending doom and Steve Carrell's character's reaction to the coming apocalypse. It's a very emotional film that most people won't appreciate because their expectations will be that it's a comedy. If you can get past that I think there's something to be liked. One complaint I have is with the ending. There was a point in the movie that was so amazing and so cumulative that I begged them in my mind to end it and they didn't. Instead, the movie went on for another 10 minutes and took a different direction. If it had ended earlier, I probably would have been more apt to give it a higher score. Expand
  9. Dec 23, 2012
    The movie presents a fresh idea, and is well-cast. Even though the movie prepared you for an abrupt ending, I still feel as though it ended unsettled. Steve Carrell is great, and this movie is definitely worthy of a redbox viewing, but I still couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed at the end.
  10. Oct 30, 2012
    First half of the movie is great. Second half is slow and boring. And the romance between the two is not very relatable. If you are an ending-person (for lack of a better expression), think twice before you watch this.
  11. Jun 26, 2012
    I thought this movie was mediocre in terms of a love story, and sub-mediocre in terms of entertainment. I could see the ending result from a mile away, but I assumed the entire premise of the movie was metaphorical. Instead, it was just like how it appeared to be. When the movie finished, my first thought was "Well, that was depressing". There were a few parts that made me chuckle, butI thought this movie was mediocre in terms of a love story, and sub-mediocre in terms of entertainment. I could see the ending result from a mile away, but I assumed the entire premise of the movie was metaphorical. Instead, it was just like how it appeared to be. When the movie finished, my first thought was "Well, that was depressing". There were a few parts that made me chuckle, but this movie is very far from being a comedy. In hindsight, I'd leave it until it comes out on DVD or is available for streaming. Expand
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    A meteor is hurtling toward Earth and there are only days left until it hits. A sadsack Steve Carell meets Keira Knightly and they embark on one last road trip. Although there are a few laughs near the beginning, this is NOT a comedy. It's a rather stupid romance that ignores Carell's comic gifts in favor of a bland dramatic role. Meanwhile, Knightly overdoes her efforts at cuteness.A meteor is hurtling toward Earth and there are only days left until it hits. A sadsack Steve Carell meets Keira Knightly and they embark on one last road trip. Although there are a few laughs near the beginning, this is NOT a comedy. It's a rather stupid romance that ignores Carell's comic gifts in favor of a bland dramatic role. Meanwhile, Knightly overdoes her efforts at cuteness. Diehard (pun intended) romance fans might find this sweet, but everybody else will be disappointed. Expand
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    Trust me. If you are looking for comedy then look somewhere else, because theres not very many laughs here. However, if you want a touching story with good acting and real romance, then this is your movie.
  14. Jul 4, 2012
    Despite the sense of urgency the end of the world might bring to a story, this film slows almost to a screeching halt by the last third. Unfortunately, two talented stars were misused and mismatched for a story that started out promising in its strangeness (showing what the end of the world brings out in people) but turns into an okay romance that uses every plot cliche possible to hammerDespite the sense of urgency the end of the world might bring to a story, this film slows almost to a screeching halt by the last third. Unfortunately, two talented stars were misused and mismatched for a story that started out promising in its strangeness (showing what the end of the world brings out in people) but turns into an okay romance that uses every plot cliche possible to hammer in the point that it's never too late to find someone who moves you. It's not a BAD movie, just a terribly uneven one. Great structural gimmicks were created and then thrown away, marvelous supporting characters and plots were introduced and then discarded meaninglessly. What seems to be an attempt at anarchical storytelling (which could have worked amazingly considering the theme) instead just became a sloppy soap opera intent on being emotionally satisfying rather than thought-provoking or challenging. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    Potentially charming and hilarious premise that was poorly executed, chock full of boring acting, obvious writing and zero chemistry between the two romantic leads. I do not understand why Keira Knightley gets work - she is an unconvincing and heavy handed actress. The films saving grace was its comic relief - some truly hilarious moments managed to shine through the blah.
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    Seeking a Friend for the End of the World certainly has it's moments. It is a solid movie and knows both how to be serious and amusing. However between the fact that the romance was only somewhat believable and the fact that the film seemed to rely on musical interludes as scene transitions there were many flaws. There was certainly a potential that this film did not reach.
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    This movie had a great cast, idea, and story. But it was not written well. Without the comedic performances of Carrel and Knightly, the movie would have been terrible.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 25, 2012
    As Seeking a Friend for the End of the World crawls toward its sentimental finale, you're rooting for that asteroid to get here, quick.
    The whole movie is a good try.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the world were really coming to an end, we'd spend it with Knightley and tell her tag-along friend that there's not enough food for a 50-year-old virgin.