5.7

1. Feb 7, 2015
    Silly like any other Will Ferrell movie but not funny. Not even on the same page as most of his films. Semi-Pro was a film I was excited for when the trailers were released but it just has nothing on films like Blades of Glory and Anchorman, if you're thinking of watching this, save yourself some time.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    With a plethora of hollywood funny men in this movie, all headed up by Will Ferrell, I'm shocked that this movie really turned out to be this unfunny. I did find a few chuckle worthy moments here and there, but nothing that resembled actual comedy. Some of the scenes in the movie just do not make any sense and end up being painful to watch. A scene where Ferrell is playing poker is aWith a plethora of hollywood funny men in this movie, all headed up by Will Ferrell, I'm shocked that this movie really turned out to be this unfunny. I did find a few chuckle worthy moments here and there, but nothing that resembled actual comedy. Some of the scenes in the movie just do not make any sense and end up being painful to watch. A scene where Ferrell is playing poker is a perfect example of such, as the whole time I was watching I was just wondering what was going on and why. It wasn't funny, just loud, rude, and pointless. I think that is the best way to describe the whole movie.

In the end "Semi-Pro" fails to make any sort of good use of it's usually hilarious cast thanks to it's awkwardly written jokes. What's worse is that it's clear that some of these scenes could have been genuinely funny if put in the hands of a writer who could come up with better dialog and comedic timing. It really is just a boring waste of time and you would be better off watching something else. I give it a 4.2/10-Bad.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    Semi-Pro is hyper-typical Will Ferrell stuff. All the usual crazy stuff is present and accounted for; fighting with bears, bursts of anger at nothing in particular, mass brawls... etc. And it's pretty funny too. Nowhere near as good as something like Anchorman or The Ballad of Ricky Bobby but it's still decent fun.
  4. Aug 28, 2013
    Sports Will Ferrell Fun. Nice one to watch it once. Ferrell is awesome as always, he plays a weird disco singer/basketball club owner-player-coach and he plays it in his own special manner, so if you like his screenplay or you need to watch a comedy to relax, try this.
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    A Semi-Mess.

Actually no. It's just a mess.

The jokes don't hit. The acting is awkward. And the story is unclear.
    This is definitely one of the minor Ferrell films, and is an example of when improvised comedy doesn't work, as the film just felt utterly confused, and it really dragged.

I just don't have much to say about it. It's extremely sub-par.

Semi-par more like.

Ha.
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    It's certainly a more forgettable Will Ferrell film, but it isn't that bad. Will Ferrell still carries the film on his back and has a lights out performance.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    It is bearable but it's also not exactly one of Will Ferrell's finer moments in comedic cinema.
  8. Feb 7, 2012
    One of the most boring movies ever with Will Ferrell... No good laughs and no good acting. Everything about this movie is only boring. I laughed about two times!
  9. Nov 19, 2011
    It was ok. Had its funny parts and its boring parts. The acting was ok in it, It was what you expected from a movie like this. If you like Will Ferrell then you will probably like this film.
  10. Jun 17, 2011
    I had high hopes for this film, but ultimately, it was a failure. It was not as funny as it looked, and Ferrell was not nearly as good as he usually is. It is not very funny, and the laughs are few and far between. It is not worth the time. If you want a funny Ferrell movie, see Anchorman. Just skip Semi Pro, you won't miss it.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    What at least distinguishes Semi-Pro from its predecessors (not only those starring Ferrell, but also such lesser lights as "Dodgeball" and "Balls of Fury") is that it's a slightly darker movie--one made for grown-ups, hence the R rating.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Rosenblatt
    But basketball … basketball doesn’t deserve the Ferrell treatment. Basketball is a sport of kings, a thing of beauty and elegance, America’s game. Which doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be mocked but that if it must be mocked it deserves to be mocked well, and Semi-Pro, unfortunately, isn’t up to the challenge.
    Instead of a satire, they give us a tired, tedious victory-for-the-underdog story, and the unevenness of Ferrell's comedy makes it less appealing.