8.4

1. EmW.
    Feb 2, 2006
    Lovely film! Laughed at the "F Major" scene when Mrs Jennings and her friend were having a giggle at the expense of Elinor Dashwood! Overall though it is a great film with superb acting. Ang Lee is a brilliant director as well.
  2. BlancoA.
    Aug 24, 2002
    I definitely enjoyed this one. I think the complaints about Lee's directing (or his ability direct this subject matter) are entirely unfounded and unwarranted. Emma Thompson does an incredible acting job, and Alan Rickman is excellent as usual.
  3. ArtemisiaE.
    Nov 7, 2005
    Excellent love story, Jane Austen's style of ironic writing shines through. Kudos to Ang Lee and Emma Thompson!
  4. JohnM.
    Dec 20, 2005
    This is an amazing movie, true to its traditional source yet very inviting and appealing to modern audiences. The performances are uniformly excellent, Emma Thompson deserved that Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar and the direction is fluid, unfussy and very insightful. The movie looks beautiful, too. Kate Winslet is superb in her somewhat flashier role, and this movie really made me This is an amazing movie, true to its traditional source yet very inviting and appealing to modern audiences. The performances are uniformly excellent, Emma Thompson deserved that Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar and the direction is fluid, unfussy and very insightful. The movie looks beautiful, too. Kate Winslet is superb in her somewhat flashier role, and this movie really made me appreciate Alan Rickman. I can come back to this movie again and again. What a joy. Expand
  5. JennaT.
    Dec 11, 2007
    This movie was well acted out. Some parts make you horribly mad and yelling at the TV like when Willoughby left but other than that it was good.
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    One of my favorite movies of all time. Great writing, perfect acting, just a gorgeous movie. It gets better every time you watch it. Col. Brandon is the epitome of chivalry, wisdom and romance. Who knew Severis Snape could be so romantic? (LOL)

This rapturous romance is not only laugh-out-loud funny but demonstrates how little humankind has evolved in matters of the heart.
  2. Poised, delicate, powerful, hovering between poignancy and pealing laughter, it is a feast formed by skill and serendipity.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    [It presents] us with a vast range of richly developed, gorgeously played characters ... and mov[es] them gracefully through time and a lot of very pretty spaces without ever losing its conviction, its concentration or our bedazzled attention. [18 Dec 1995]