Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: September 16, 2005
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 14 Ratings
WATCH NOW
keithw.Oct 4, 2005
Strong cast-great clothes-a Range Rover product placement and I loved it all.
RhettW.Dec 28, 2005
Very subtle stuff. It was not totally satisfying.
AngusH.Nov 19, 2005
I really enjoyed it - the acting was superb, and even though most of the revelations come as no surprise, there's a lot of tension building up. The last 20 minutes don't seem to be connected very much to the rest of the film,but I really enjoyed it - the acting was superb, and even though most of the revelations come as no surprise, there's a lot of tension building up. The last 20 minutes don't seem to be connected very much to the rest of the film,but coming out of the theatre, I realised that the film is about the couple and the choices they make, not necessarily about the main events which put them in the unenviable positions. Expand
HalBNov 2, 2005
Okay, my girlfriend wanted to see this, the title was intriguing, and the lead actors (Watson and Wilkinson) are two of my favorites. Turned out to be one of the best little dramas I've seen in quite a while, one of those films that Okay, my girlfriend wanted to see this, the title was intriguing, and the lead actors (Watson and Wilkinson) are two of my favorites. Turned out to be one of the best little dramas I've seen in quite a while, one of those films that stays in your head for a while. Nuanced lead performances, excellent supporting performances. Wilkinson is amazing. Is it more important to forgive and move on, or to do the right thing? What choices are we willing to make for love? For morality? Are they ever one and the same? Expand
BerryJ.Apr 16, 2006
Worth seeing for the classy English village and room settings alone, but throw in an interesting rupture in the lives of a small group of people and I think this is near cinematic perfection.
StephaneM.May 29, 2007
For someone who likes to see life as shades of grey, and apreciate seing extremely polite people with impossible choices, it is the most beautiful movie that I ever saw.
Pablo6120Oct 17, 2016
Separate Lies (British – 2005)
Separate Lies (British – 2005)
It was 1:30 AM CDT and I could not sleep. So I did the worst possible thing, according to sleep experts and turned on the TV. After a brief search of on demand fare, I noticed the British film starring two actors whom I greatly admire: Tom Wilkinson and Emily Watson. My interest was also tweaked by the fact that this was Julian Fellowes directorial debut. He is a much lauded writer and actor, known best for Downton Abbey, Gosford Park and From Time to Time.
James and Anne Manning (Wilkinson & Watson) have recently moved into a country manor to get away from the city life, after living for years in a flat in London. A well-known and highly regarded barrister, David works long hours and arrives home after a train commute. Their marriage appears to suffer as Anne longs for a more social life, while James is curmudgeon and prefers isolation and rest from a stressful occupation.
The onset of an accident involving a cyclist, who was the Manning’s housekeeper’s husband, and a large, black SUV, invades the Manning’s lives. This deepens the plot-line of the film and an acquaintance, Tom Bule is implicated, well-played by Rupert Everett. There are some unexpected twists and turns, as the involvement of the Manning’s cleaner, Maggie (Linda Bassett) becomes an imposing factor.
A solid adult drama, Separate Lives requires attention to details. One is reminded of Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot in the steady police work of Inspector Marshall (David Harewood).
For those of us who tire easily of super hero and CGI laden cartoon-like flicks, Separate Lives satisfies the inner soul.