7.0

1. keithw.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Strong cast-great clothes-a Range Rover product placement and I loved it all.
  2. RhettW.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Very subtle stuff. It was not totally satisfying.
  3. AngusH.
    Nov 19, 2005
    I really enjoyed it - the acting was superb, and even though most of the revelations come as no surprise, there's a lot of tension building up. The last 20 minutes don't seem to be connected very much to the rest of the film,but coming out of the theatre, I realised that the film is about the couple and the choices they make, not necessarily about the main events which put them I really enjoyed it - the acting was superb, and even though most of the revelations come as no surprise, there's a lot of tension building up. The last 20 minutes don't seem to be connected very much to the rest of the film,but coming out of the theatre, I realised that the film is about the couple and the choices they make, not necessarily about the main events which put them in the unenviable positions. Expand
  4. HalB
    Nov 2, 2005
    Okay, my girlfriend wanted to see this, the title was intriguing, and the lead actors (Watson and Wilkinson) are two of my favorites. Turned out to be one of the best little dramas I've seen in quite a while, one of those films that stays in your head for a while. Nuanced lead performances, excellent supporting performances. Wilkinson is amazing. Is it more important to forgive and Okay, my girlfriend wanted to see this, the title was intriguing, and the lead actors (Watson and Wilkinson) are two of my favorites. Turned out to be one of the best little dramas I've seen in quite a while, one of those films that stays in your head for a while. Nuanced lead performances, excellent supporting performances. Wilkinson is amazing. Is it more important to forgive and move on, or to do the right thing? What choices are we willing to make for love? For morality? Are they ever one and the same? Expand
  5. BerryJ.
    Apr 16, 2006
    Worth seeing for the classy English village and room settings alone, but throw in an interesting rupture in the lives of a small group of people and I think this is near cinematic perfection.
  6. StephaneM.
    May 29, 2007
    For someone who likes to see life as shades of grey, and apreciate seing extremely polite people with impossible choices, it is the most beautiful movie that I ever saw.

1. Wilkinson once again astonishes with his ability to convey weakness and strength, hypocrisy and gallantry, cruelty and compassion in the same male animal.
    Watson and Everett, both superb, bring ferocity and feeling to their roles. But the one you won't forget is Wilkinson (In the Bedroom) in a towering performance of grace and grit that deserves to put him on Oscar's shortlist. Good show.
  3. The story presents a moral morass involving betrayal, illicit sex, hypocrisy and a crime, yet the film feels tidy. Only one punch gets thrown, and you sense the perpetrator regrets his action immediately. It is all very British.