Séraphine

7.5

1. josephc
    Sep 5, 2009
    This movie couldn't have been slower or more boring. that final endless shot was neither "balm": nor "benediction" ... it was deadly, and symptomatic of every painfully prolonged moment that preceded it. this film was dark, dreary, and tedious from its first shots to its final slo-mo slog through the proverbial molasses. did i really see the same film that the critics raved about???
  2. JoelB
    Aug 6, 2009
    This was a slow, boring movie - and I love art, the process of creating art, and good movies. It tried to present accurately who Seraphine was but by not going beyond what it knew, it portrayed a woman's outside with no sense of what was inside. It would have been a better movie, if had been moring daring and given us some significant inner thoughts and feelings even if they were This was a slow, boring movie - and I love art, the process of creating art, and good movies. It tried to present accurately who Seraphine was but by not going beyond what it knew, it portrayed a woman's outside with no sense of what was inside. It would have been a better movie, if had been moring daring and given us some significant inner thoughts and feelings even if they were technically fictional. By the way, the expert who spoke after the showing I saw, admitted that as far as she knew the only real thing about the whole movie were the paintings. I've been amazed that no critic has given this movie a poor review - what were they thinking? Collapse

1. Séraphine is one of the most evocative films about an artist I've ever seen--and in its treatment of madness one of the least condescending.
  2. Reviewed by: Eddie Cockrell
    An extraordinary performance by vet thesp Yolande Moreau in the title role.
    Séraphine's dependence on her patron--a cultivated but emotionally detached homosexual, who knew a fellow outsider when he saw one but came and went in her life without warning--is almost as unbearably moving as her inevitable unraveling--when money and fame cut the artist off from her creative wellsprings and drove her over the edge.