Serenity

8.4

1. WhiffleM.
    Jun 14, 2008
    What's not to love? An opening scene that changes perspective three times, followed by an extended-take tour through the ship, introducing all the crew members in the process. Like the much-lamented TV show, a labor of love. Buy it, as you'll want to see it again and again.
  2. PlacidD
    May 6, 2009
    One of the best, if not the best sci-fi movies i have seen. A viewer would do himself a huge favor to watch the Firefly series first though, in order to get backstories sorted, etc, as the movie moves very quickly, and can become confusing on its own.
  3. GeorgeM.
    Jun 29, 2007
    It makes you wonder why Star Wars gets so much attention even today, when there are absolutely amazing space-set sci-fi films such as this one around. Then again, Serenity truly is on a plateau of quality all its own. Sensational film.
  4. Andrea
    Aug 23, 2007
    Long live Joss. How can someone not love this movie with the hysterical dialouge and suprise losses. It really helps to watch firefly first though, but not necessary to enjoy the film.
  5. kitty
    Jul 8, 2008
    I loved Firefly, so I was really excited when I heard that they were going to make a movie, and I wasn't disappointed. Great way to end the story.
  6. Nov 28, 2011
    Great movie. Great characters, great story, great writing. This movie was the reason I started watching Firefly and the reason I am an avid Browncoat to this day.
  7. Jan 13, 2014
    Serenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show and therefore, most of the story and emotion is predicated on the viewer having built up a certain amount of investment to take full effect. There were someSerenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show and therefore, most of the story and emotion is predicated on the viewer having built up a certain amount of investment to take full effect. There were some minor changes where they altered some of the canon in order to explain things to new viewers and I didn't really care for that much but everything else was perfect. The cast of characters was the same group of beloved and diverse people from the series. The acting was fantastic, the charm was still there, the special effects were obviously improved, and they kept the little things that made fans fall in love with the show years ago. Most importantly, however, they wrapped up the loose ends. This is the conclusion Firefly and the fans deserved. Expand
  8. Erin
    Sep 28, 2005
    Even if you're not a fan of Whedon, the sharp dialogue, crisp pacing, characterization and genuine heartfelt emotion makes Serenity one of the best films out there this year, and lifts it miles above the sci-fi/action drivel that has been released by the studios in the past decade. Sharp, smart, clever and engaging, Serenity is a must see!
  9. JoshS.
    Sep 18, 2008
    this was an amazing movie that captured the essentials of the television show (also great), but also gave new viewers the chance to see why the characters are so memorable and heart warming.
  10. JossW.
    Aug 9, 2009
    Simply amazing. I do suggest watching Firefly first for the full impact, however.
  11. DougW.
    Oct 28, 2005
    Top drawer. Answers questions raised in Firefly, yet is totally complete for first-time viewers. Tremendous suspense. Satisfying action. Character driven. I read where 87% of everybody who saw it gave it an "A" rating. I too, give it an "A" rating.
  12. BarbaraB.
    Feb 11, 2006
    This movie holds up after repeat viewings. Still can't ever decide when to run to the bathroom if needed. There's nothing I want to miss.
  13. DX
    Dec 1, 2007
    FIREFLY/Serenity is one of the greatest Sci-Fi shows of our time. Fox really dropped the ball when they aired the episodes at random show times and then canceled the show prematurely.
  14. JohnK
    May 16, 2009
    A truly amazing film from a series that was cancelled well before its time.
  15. PeterP.
    Sep 28, 2005
    Awesome!
  16. samm.
    Dec 8, 2007
    well filmed, great script, and some classy one liners. this sci-fi brings a fresh face to a usually recent boring genre.
  17. KarenH.
    Sep 14, 2007
    Perfect characterizations and a thought-provoking story, full of humour, intelligence and great special effects and music. The acting and character interplay and attention to detail added dimension to the space story. Not a fairy-tale story, but a realistic mythos and universe.
  18. MD.
    Feb 12, 2008
    One of my favorite movies of all time. Not only does it include a political theme, it has action and romance (but not ooey-gooey sappy romance, just plain fun romance) and comedy. It does have a lot of violence, so if that isn't your thing you probably won't like it much. Regardless, I'd also recommend the Firefly tv series. It has all the action, romance, comedy, and One of my favorite movies of all time. Not only does it include a political theme, it has action and romance (but not ooey-gooey sappy romance, just plain fun romance) and comedy. It does have a lot of violence, so if that isn't your thing you probably won't like it much. Regardless, I'd also recommend the Firefly tv series. It has all the action, romance, comedy, and political statements, but often without quite as much violence. Expand
  19. Squall
    Feb 15, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant film. One of my favourites of all time. Much better if you've seen the series of course, but not entirely necessary.
  20. RyanM.
    Dec 31, 2008
    One of the best sci-fi films I have ever seen.
  21. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Proof that dreams can come true. When Firefly was unfairly cancelled by Fox, Browncoats round the world rallied together to try and revive the series. Sadly, another season was off the cards. But Universal Studios saved the day, by picking up a Firefly film, known as Serenity. They took a gamble, picking up a movie based upon a failed TV show. And you know what? I'm glad they took that chance. Sure, it cost the lives of fan favourites Wash and Sheppard Book, with the latter and Inara off Serenity with less screen time, but it doesn't hinder the story. The dialogue still shines, the chemistry between cast members is still there and the film does not dissapoint. The new villain, The Operative, is a brilliant one, masterfully played by (i'm sorry, I can't spell his name for soup) that awesome guy. We get the story rounded off, with answers about River and the Reavers feature more prominently. The crew finally defeat the alliance and Kaylee and Simon finally get it on! Sure, theres some questions left unanswered (until the comic books are released) but nethertheless, this film is for true fans of both Firefly and the Whedonverse. A sequel may seem unlikely, but we can still enjoy this fine film in all its glory. Praise be to the Serenity Crew Expand
  22. Sep 10, 2012
    Whether or not you're a fan of it's parent TV show Firefly, Serenity makes for a fantastic slice of sci-fi action. The chemistry between the crew members is fantastic, bringing much more humor and warmth than we usually get to see from these type of movies. The plot is suitably epic and there is a great foil for the heroes in the form of Chiwetel Ejiofor's calm, calculatingly evilWhether or not you're a fan of it's parent TV show Firefly, Serenity makes for a fantastic slice of sci-fi action. The chemistry between the crew members is fantastic, bringing much more humor and warmth than we usually get to see from these type of movies. The plot is suitably epic and there is a great foil for the heroes in the form of Chiwetel Ejiofor's calm, calculatingly evil assassin. You'd be hard pressed to find a more entertaining or soulful sci-fi movie than Serenity. Expand
  23. Oct 20, 2012
    Serenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand and moving score from David Newman and Whedon's usual flair for snappy almost poetic dialogue, and this sci-fi really stands out from the crowd. Serenity is aSerenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand and moving score from David Newman and Whedon's usual flair for snappy almost poetic dialogue, and this sci-fi really stands out from the crowd. Serenity is a fittingly grand and rewarding send-off to Firefly, an exceptional TV series cruelly cancelled before it reached its full potential, and Whedon thankfully wasn't tempted to overcomplicate the plot, keeping it relatively stripped-back and linear, sticking to resolving a couple of dangling plot threads from the series, and always focussed on the characters and their relationships that steadily develop over the course of their journey. It feels like we've never left the space-faring rustbucket, as the technically impressive single-shot opening sequence that guides us through the entire vessel proves - the characters are exactly where we left them, and we as an audience feel ready to be re-acquainted with their various eccentricities. The cast all deliver, with Nathan Fillion upping his performance as a far darker Captain Mal Reynolds than we saw in the TV series, Adam Baldwin's towering but soft-at-heart Jayne still brings the laughs, and Summer Glau's psychic warrior angel River proves to be a real force of nature. The newcomers also impress - Chiwetel Ejiofor is terrifyingly calm and collected as a fanatical nameless assassin, and David Krumholtz's information dealer Mr Universe is a fun character and invaluable ally to the crew of the Serenity. Like the preceding series, Serenity is a film of striking contrasts - science-fiction/western, Eastern culture/Western culture, the darkness of human nature and the eternal optimism in the human heart. As a film it delivers not just in terms of spectacle, but in terms of intelligent ideas and emotional character-driven drama, particularly in the film's stunning final act. This universe of galactic frontiers, settlers, smuggling, adventure and mad space cannibals remains endlessly entertaining, and if this really is the final time we'll see Whedon's beloved creation on-screen, then it has been given a majestic final voyage. Expand
  24. Jul 19, 2015
    I can only say I love this movie. One of my all-time favourites. I wish a sequel was possible. It continued the story, which was tragically and foolishly cut shot, in the TV series, and though it tried to conclude the story.. it just made me want more.
  25. Sep 8, 2012
    It absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantastic film, the unfortunate cancellation of Firefly left me dead inside, thinking about all the amazing things Joss Whedon must have planned for the show,It absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantastic film, the unfortunate cancellation of Firefly left me dead inside, thinking about all the amazing things Joss Whedon must have planned for the show, there must have been A LOT, so fitting a lot of it into a movie to give it a proper finale must have been tough but pulled off brilliantly! A definite must watch, but PLEASE remember to watch Firefly first! I've seen way too many people watch Serenity without watching Firefly first. Expand
  26. MarkM
    Oct 2, 2005
    Thank you Joss, mission accomplished.
  27. Scott
    Oct 11, 2005
    Finally, a film which treats viewers as intellegent people... Serenity is what I want to see more of in the cinema. Fast paced, witty, and moving, it shows Sci Fi can have interesting characters and Action movies can make you think.
  28. Dec 2, 2012
    When the user score and the critics score have this big discrepancy, you know the critics really missed something...as in..the mark. This is an EXCELLENT screen production of a superb TV series. Don't miss it.
  29. CharlotteG.
    Oct 2, 2005
    Fun ride, fast pacing, great villan and best of all...great lines. I love this movie and love the TV series.
  30. MarcB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Simply one of the best Sci-Fi movies I've ever seen. I am trying desperately to get the word out, and so far have taken several people to see the film. All of them have loved it. Whether you saw the original series or not, go see this movie!
  31. MikeM.
    Oct 6, 2005
    While it misses the Sino-Western atmosphere of the TV series to some extent, Serenity creates a compelling world and compelling characters to inhabit it. Edge-of-the-seats action, and a wonderful cast.
  32. ScottG.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Rocked from start to finish. Best action movie I've seen this year (better than Batman, which I liked a lot). Great characters, funny dialogue, loads of suspense and did I mention the action?
  33. MikeK.
    Sep 30, 2005
    I was worried that my friends that have never seen the show wouldn't like this movie. To my surprise, they both enjoyed it. Awsome movie, lets hope for a sequel.
  34. Tom
    Oct 26, 2006
    Great sequel to the greatest TV-series. Finally meet the Reavers and get to know how they became what they are now...
  35. AlanB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Staggering. I had high expectations but they were well on their way to being exceeded by the time the opening credits started. That guy knows how to craft a story.
  36. KevinD.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Best Sci Fi film in recent memory. Beats Star Wars, beats the Matrix, etc. I'd say its probably the 2nd best film of the year after Batman Begins, but they aren't far apart.
  37. minusplus
    Oct 14, 2005
    The best sci-fi i've seen in ages!
  38. BenjitheGreat
    Dec 24, 2005
    This is a great little sci-fi flick that should have received more cred in the box office. By having likable characters, wit, and an engaging story we are reminded why the new Star Wars movies sucked so badly. I was also impressed with the special effects in this film wich werent overdone or corny at all.
  39. PeggyC.
    Oct 2, 2005
    Would love to see this as a new series on the SciFi channel.
  40. MrSevens
    Oct 2, 2005
    Wow! 'Serenity' is a superb movie. Other scifi writers need to take a lesson from Joss Whedon and 'Serenity'.
  41. ChrisC.
    Oct 3, 2005
    I can't believe that this was the best film I've seen all year.. but it was.
  42. HeatherR.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Wow! Just Wow, this is Joss' work at its finest!
  43. JonathanZ.
    Oct 3, 2005
    I am a huge fan of the series and currently own it. Serenity is an amazing movie. It knows how to jerk the heartstrings in one moment and cause a laugh in the next. The characters are so easy to relate to and a person really become attached to them. They're REAL people instead of characters from a story. Joss Whedon is an genius when it comes to things like that and I am anticipating I am a huge fan of the series and currently own it. Serenity is an amazing movie. It knows how to jerk the heartstrings in one moment and cause a laugh in the next. The characters are so easy to relate to and a person really become attached to them. They're REAL people instead of characters from a story. Joss Whedon is an genius when it comes to things like that and I am anticipating the next 2 in the trilogy. I can't wait to see them though I'm not sure I can make it through them since the Serenity itself made me cry. I would and am recommending to everyone to go see this movie and watch the 14 episodes of the tv series. Expand
  44. MarkJ.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Best sci-fi film I've seen for a long while.
  45. DanaM.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Won't win an Oscar but it certainly was entertaining. If you enjoy Sci-Fi and action movies don't miss this one.
  46. JoeB.
    Oct 6, 2005
    With one tenth of one percent of the budget of Star Wars Ep. 1 (and it shows), Whedon creates a movie thats 100 times more enjoyable. Nothing that came out this summer was nearly as fun... Do yourself a favor and check it out.
  47. RaveningB.
    Oct 6, 2005
    I think this movie's gonna be another sleeper hit, like it's sister show Firefly. I don't think enough people are going to go see this film and enjoy it. I went because I enjoy anything Wedon touches...but some folks just plain HATE him. If you hated Buffy, Angel, or Firefly then you'll hate it! If you're a sci-fi nut, or a Wedon-Worshiper you'll dig it. I I think this movie's gonna be another sleeper hit, like it's sister show Firefly. I don't think enough people are going to go see this film and enjoy it. I went because I enjoy anything Wedon touches...but some folks just plain HATE him. If you hated Buffy, Angel, or Firefly then you'll hate it! If you're a sci-fi nut, or a Wedon-Worshiper you'll dig it. I thought it was the best film I've seen this year. Miles better than anything I've seen this year. Expand
  48. n.j.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Good plot + good chemistry between actors + unexpected humor + good action = great movie. I thought it was the best show that I have seen this year.
  49. KallyG.
    Sep 30, 2005
    To me, this wasn't as much Firefly as a standalone involving my favourite characters and universe.
  50. TomH.
    Sep 30, 2005
    Now if you see my comment you will wonder what does this guy have to say well i wont tell what serinity is like but i will say these 3 words GO SEE SERENITY!!!!!
  51. Stefan
    Sep 30, 2005
    While the opening jumped about perhaps a bit quickly for someone who hasn't seen the television show, if you're willing to stick with it for about 5-10 minutes, the technically amazing single shot that introduces all the main characters does a very good job of catching you up. From that point on, there are solid special effects, and interesting storyline on a fairly grand scale, While the opening jumped about perhaps a bit quickly for someone who hasn't seen the television show, if you're willing to stick with it for about 5-10 minutes, the technically amazing single shot that introduces all the main characters does a very good job of catching you up. From that point on, there are solid special effects, and interesting storyline on a fairly grand scale, and some of the best fight choreography I've ever had the pleasure to watch, but the true highlights of the movie are the comparatively scenes allowing the relationships between the characters to truly play out. Watching adversaries who resepect each other come to realize that their conversation will end in violence, or a brother and sister who really truly care for each other, you realize that basic human interaction is what drives this film. And in the final act, that is where the film takes it's boldest steps...not as sci-fi, but as a solid, character driven drama. Expand
  52. RobertF.
    Jan 1, 2006
    The movie rocked.
  53. MarkR.
    Jan 2, 2006
    This movie is awesome! A must-see sci-fi film of true imagination and energy. The characters, dialogue and effects rock!
  54. GaborA.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Suprisingly good, but by no means fantastic. However, i see a lot of potential if the series continues.
  55. DanL.
    May 24, 2006
    If you are one of those people who appreciate a good story, plenty of action, and some genuine fun, Serenity is a good fit for you. This is the silver screen portrayal of the beloved (but short-lived) Firefly TV show. The characters in the movie all live up to their past acclaim and also do a good job of welcoming new visitors to Joss Whedon's amazing western/sci-fi universe. Please, If you are one of those people who appreciate a good story, plenty of action, and some genuine fun, Serenity is a good fit for you. This is the silver screen portrayal of the beloved (but short-lived) Firefly TV show. The characters in the movie all live up to their past acclaim and also do a good job of welcoming new visitors to Joss Whedon's amazing western/sci-fi universe. Please, if you have any love for the science fiction genre, give this a try. Then, if you love the movie, for godsakes, buy the Firefly Box Set! Expand
  56. LightDeath
    May 31, 2010
    A great movie that exemplifies Josh Whedon's enigmatic writing with the best of all scifi genres, cowbuys in space!
  57. AletheaA.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Stellar. A few fans will have major disappointments (which I cannot disclose for fear of spoiling someone's viewing of it) but overall it's thrilling and well made. Must-see!
  58. SteveL.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Pretty damn great. can't believe how much was packed into two hours. the only real gripe i have is that parts were a bit too stereotypically hollywood, especially the climactic fight scenes.
  59. AliC
    Oct 10, 2005
    Entertaining Nonsense.
  60. GregS.
    Oct 1, 2005
    A GREAT movie! Must see for any sci-fi fan, especially if you've seen even a single episode of Firefly. Let's make this movie #1 at the box office so we can push them into making another 2 movies!
  61. ValA.
    Oct 11, 2005
    If you like scifi, this movie doesn't disappoint. If you like humor, this movie doesn't disappoint, if you like action, this movie doesn't disappoint. But if you were a fan of the series, prepare for all of that, plus the bittersweet emotion of closure.
  62. JjudyT.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Good effort but the TV show was better. Hated taht he got rid of an impprtant character. Ending was weak.
  63. ChristinaF.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Serenity is not a perfect movie. The score is sometimes clunky, the camera work sometimes amateurish, and the plot devices sometimes a bit TOO convenient. But I give it a perfect score because it is so unique, original and captivating, that it is unlike any other movie in theatres. Serenity is a definite must-see movie!
  64. PratikP.
    Simply brilliant.
  65. CraiganU.
    Oct 14, 2005
    Fantastic: Serenity is the best of all possible worlds (sci fi, western, comedy, zombie).
  66. Ken
    Oct 17, 2005
    Great Movie! I never saw the TV series and had no problem following it. I thinking about buying the series on DVD now to see the long term character build up an then see the movie again on Video. Much better than Star Wars prequels. This won't let you down unless your humorless and witless.
  67. AnonymousMC
    Oct 19, 2005
    Excellent!
  68. BillS.
    Oct 2, 2005
    I am a Joss Whedon fan (from Buffy to Firefly) and this movie had all the heart and soul that I have come to expect. It was true to the series and a pleasure from start to finish. Even my wife--who has spent limited time in Whedon land--thought it could not have been any better. Twenty minutes (or less) into the movie and I already wanted to see it again.
  69. Jenny
    Oct 2, 2005
    Excellent in every sense of the word. Joss didn't miss a step from the show to the movie.
  70. AndrewM.
    Oct 2, 2005
    It surpasses the expectations of even the most die-hard Firefly fan. Quite simply, the best sci-fi thrill ride since Empire Strikes Back.
  71. TigranH.
    Dec 13, 2005
    Outstanding Sci-Fi Epic Drama...Perfect Story, great acting and effects that come close to Star Wars...Much smarter and better movie then Star Wars post Episodes...Let's hope it gets 2 sequels!
  72. Stormin
    Oct 2, 2005
    Outstanding movie! It kept all the charm and humor of the Firefly series and yet was credible and engaging on the big screen. Bring on the sequel.
  73. AyonJ.R.
    Oct 2, 2005
    George Lucas should take notes.
  74. JackR.
    Oct 2, 2005
    I'm hooked. I want a gorram sequel !
  75. bbee
    Oct 20, 2005
    Never saw the series and had no problem following the plot so i dont know what the others are talking about. they must be hicks. this movie well deserves a second viewing.
  76. J.D.
    Oct 24, 2005
    You did not have to see the series Firefly to understand Serenity. This was a well written movie much better than the latest Star Wars Trilogy. This is a diffinate must see for Sci-fi fans and non Sci-fi fans.
  77. Immesys
    Oct 26, 2005
    Us Browncoats have been waiting a while for this movie, we were not dissapointed.
  78. DiMajor
    Oct 2, 2005
    I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie!
  79. SteveH.
    Oct 29, 2005
    So much better than the last 3 Star Wars. Great movie.
  80. JeffS.
    Oct 3, 2005
    For the first time, in a long time, you will be subjected to material that will not be able to predict. No more Hollywood cookie cutter plots and drama. Whedon is a master. Give us back the series!
  81. DonH.
    Oct 3, 2005
    I didn't see the TV series and I thought Serenity was great. Not overly long on plot but the action sequences were engrossing and special effects very convincing, especially considering its rather low budget. The movie was well-paced with an off-beat sense of humor and a satisfying ending.
  82. Arby
    Oct 3, 2005
    Loved it. As a fan of the series, I expected to be blown away, but Serenity exceeded my expectations in all aspects.
  83. MarkM.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Very entertaining movie, even more so if you've already seen "Firefly." If you were a fan of Star Wars as a kid and now consider yourself an adult with a soft spot for sci-fi, this is the movie for you. I can't give it a 10 because one of the characters from the TV series gets short shrift, and the editing is a bit rough in places. Other than that, worth multiple viewings, Very entertaining movie, even more so if you've already seen "Firefly." If you were a fan of Star Wars as a kid and now consider yourself an adult with a soft spot for sci-fi, this is the movie for you. I can't give it a 10 because one of the characters from the TV series gets short shrift, and the editing is a bit rough in places. Other than that, worth multiple viewings, here's hoping there are sequels. Expand
  84. JonathanD.
    Oct 3, 2005
    I'm a big fan of Firefly, so it's a little hard for me to see Serenity as a movie by itself. I do think that Serenity does a masterful job of both continuing the series and standing on its own as an accessible sci-fi feature. Whedon's writing is, as always, witty on banter and remarkably graceful on plot. It's amazing how much of Firefly's backstory he manages to I'm a big fan of Firefly, so it's a little hard for me to see Serenity as a movie by itself. I do think that Serenity does a masterful job of both continuing the series and standing on its own as an accessible sci-fi feature. Whedon's writing is, as always, witty on banter and remarkably graceful on plot. It's amazing how much of Firefly's backstory he manages to squeeze into the dialogue without sounding redundant to the show's fans. Thsi makes for an entertaining, character driven story spiced up with some heated action sequences. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a Yay. Expand
  85. JohnT.
    Oct 4, 2005
    This is a well-written movie, with action, humor, and characters you will care about. It happens to take place in a sci-fi setting, but the movie is about the people. Don't miss this one.
  86. ChrisL.
    Oct 5, 2005
    The most enjoyment I've had in a theater since long, long ago.
  87. VeronicaB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Not only a rollercoaster ride during the viewing, it left me thinking about all the ideas and morality tales for days afterward. I enjoyed this movie tremendously, as did everyone I've spoken with who has seen it, and I can't decide if I want Joss to make more like it or take it back to the small screen. A wonderful dilemma to be sure!
  88. GregL
    Oct 6, 2005
    If you loved the show, you will love this film. If you didn't see the show, you'll probably still love this film. Very well done. Best sci-fi film I've seen in a long time, with great story, writing, acting, and special effects.
  89. CD
    Oct 6, 2005
    Only a few months ago, a friend let me borrow his Firefly DVDs. Since the show only had 11 episodes, it didn't take long to get caught up on the series. I loved the series, and most importantly, I was ready for Serenity... and I LOVED it! I wanted more and more and more! ... I saw it with a guy who never saw the show. He really enjoyed it and now he's ought the DVDs and will Only a few months ago, a friend let me borrow his Firefly DVDs. Since the show only had 11 episodes, it didn't take long to get caught up on the series. I loved the series, and most importantly, I was ready for Serenity... and I LOVED it! I wanted more and more and more! ... I saw it with a guy who never saw the show. He really enjoyed it and now he's ought the DVDs and will probably see the movie again. Yeah, there might be some character development problems if you've not seen the show... but there's no excuse! The series isn't that many episodes, so go rent or buy the DVD set and get caught up on the show, and prepare to don your brown coat... because you will be hooked!!! Expand
  90. ChuckB.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Do you remember the first time you saw "Star Wars?" How'd you feel afterwards? Like George Lucas had been following you around, making notes about what you read, what you watched, what you loved? Like he'd interviewed your friends, your relatives, checked with Santa about your Christmas wish lists? Do you remember how many people you dragged back to the theatre, over and over, Do you remember the first time you saw "Star Wars?" How'd you feel afterwards? Like George Lucas had been following you around, making notes about what you read, what you watched, what you loved? Like he'd interviewed your friends, your relatives, checked with Santa about your Christmas wish lists? Do you remember how many people you dragged back to the theatre, over and over, converting all your friends like some demented Jedi missionary? Do you remember how you waited for "Return of the Jedi", how you wrote letters about how it shouldn't be named "Revenge of the Jedi" and you stood in line for tickets for 3 days? How long's it been since you felt that way? Yeah, you're in your 40's now, you've got a 40-hour-a-week job that you spend 70 hours a week doin', your wife wants you to wallpaper the bathroom, your kids are away at college buying I-Pods with their book money, it just cost you $70 to have your dog's teeth cleaned and all you wanna do is feel like you did back then. Well, this is your lucky day, my friend; you have a chance to relive that experience. Joss Whedon has brought you an early Christmas present called "Serenity." You've heard of Joss; "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer," "Angel" and a little series on Fox called "Firefly." That last was a special kind of show; great writing, a tight cast, a haunting score and a story line that made all the other sc-fi you'd seen lately seem like episodes of "Meet the Press." Fox did their best to kill it; they refused to show the pilot, they showed episodes out of order, they pre-empted it and then abandoned it with 3 episodes left unaired. Like 40 or 50 other Fox shows in recent years, it was dead. But it wasn't dead. The fans, Browncoats, as they call themselves, immediately started writing letters, making phone calls, posting messages on sc-fi web sites and blogs, all in an effort to save the show. That, and Joss wouldn't quit. He told the cast they were cancelled and, almost in the same breath, told them not not to give up, that he'd find them a home. Together they made enough noise that Fox decided to release the series on DVD, figuring that'd shut the fans up and they could go back to putting quality shows on the air like "The Simple Life." And DVD sales took off. Word spread, mostly fan to fan. People began having DVD viewing parties, buying DVD for friends, setting up booths an sci-fi conventions to promote the show and the DVD's with no help from Fox. You see, they loved the show and it's charachters and the folks who gave them life. And, they made enough noise (and bought enough DVDs) that they got the attention of Universal Studios who, perhaps remembering Star Trek the above mentioned Star Wars , decided to spring $40,000,000 for a movie. It was money well spent. "Serenity" is everything the series and the above mentioned franchises were, and more. Mr Whedon, being simply the most eloquent script writer on the planet, has given the film a story line that not only satisfies (at least, temporarily) the Fireflyistas, it's a knock down, kick butt film in it's own right. I won't go into plot details here; the web abounds with plenty of reviews that'll explain the story. I'm here to explain the heart. See it now. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer, you'll tell your friends and drag 'em to the theatre and wait in line three days for the sequel. You'll regain your youth. And the next coat you buy just might be a bit brown. Expand
  91. GarlandW.
    Oct 6, 2005
    I'm a Firefly fan, but I came to the film with what I thought were overly high expectations. What I saw thrilled me--it was funny, the action was alive, and the film had momentum. I do wonder if those unfamiliar with Firefly would be able to fully appreciate the warm, familial feeling among the crew members, especially since the film hits such a dark stride. But for me, 10 out of 10!!
  92. lanieh.
    Oct 7, 2005
    Movie totally rocked. While I was disappointed in the loss of a major character, I was absorbed in the story.
  93. Maria
    Oct 7, 2005
    Saw it last night - I'm a massive Joss fan anyway and having watched Firefly with great enthusiasm nothing was lost on the movie. The characters still kept all the wit and humour and humanity and the plot was superb. Well done Joss, can't wait for the next one, you've really gone and done it now!
  94. DaveF
    Oct 8, 2005
    The little touches set Serenity apart. For one, it understands the value of silence. Silence is the secret to effective horror and suspense, which the movie packs plenty of. That's why the cacophonous Star Wars prequels were so depressingly sterile. Outer-space flights and battles in Serenity are appropriately quiet, not just for effect but because apparently somebody was paying The little touches set Serenity apart. For one, it understands the value of silence. Silence is the secret to effective horror and suspense, which the movie packs plenty of. That's why the cacophonous Star Wars prequels were so depressingly sterile. Outer-space flights and battles in Serenity are appropriately quiet, not just for effect but because apparently somebody was paying attention in physics class--sound requires a medium. The only audible ship battles take place in atmosphere. Why should I praise realism in a space western? I don't know...it was so refreshing to see! Also, taking a hint maybe from Spielberg's War of the Worlds, the Reaver heat rays look and sound menacing. These aren't the cute little blasts of Star Wars, but jagged beams of death that hum ominously. The Reavers' quick viciousness is shocking, and their predatory ships invite frightened fascination. (No spoilers here, just know that Reavers make Klingons look like Care Bears.) For all its balletic violence and clever lines, Serenity respects the golden rule: make your film character-driven and the action will have weight, the quips will hold interest, and even cowboy space opera is possible. The acting isn't perfect, and hackneyed cuteness occasionally surfaces. But by the ending Collapse
  95. AileenO.
    Oct 8, 2005
    What sci-fi should be. Original, thought-provoking, character & story driven -- Joss is the king of this genre.
  96. ChrissyB.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Possibly the most unique film I've seen all year.
  97. RandyRoten
    Sep 27, 2005
    Joss Whedon has accomplished a tremendous feat in birthing a cult-driven feature film production from an aborted television series. A seamless integration of what-has-come-before with where-we-are-now enables both fans and neophytes to have great fun in this terrific living-on-the-edge-will-we-survive-the-next-challenge thrill ride. Serenity reunites the television cast as the crew and Joss Whedon has accomplished a tremendous feat in birthing a cult-driven feature film production from an aborted television series. A seamless integration of what-has-come-before with where-we-are-now enables both fans and neophytes to have great fun in this terrific living-on-the-edge-will-we-survive-the-next-challenge thrill ride. Serenity reunites the television cast as the crew and passengers of an old parts-falling-off Firefly-class transport ship. Mr. Elley Expand
  98. DaveF.
    Sep 29, 2005
    Serenity is definitely a movie for the Firefly fans. If you have not seen the 13 episodes of the original series that FOX so lamely tried to kill in the fall of 2002 then you've truly missed out on one of the best things to come along in the history of Television. Even if you don't believe the millions of converts who made the movie possible, Serenity is an excellent movie on Serenity is definitely a movie for the Firefly fans. If you have not seen the 13 episodes of the original series that FOX so lamely tried to kill in the fall of 2002 then you've truly missed out on one of the best things to come along in the history of Television. Even if you don't believe the millions of converts who made the movie possible, Serenity is an excellent movie on it's own, with entertainment value for everyone, even if you aren't a fan of Sci Fi. In a summer full of bad movies that I should have missed, this is one all should see. Expand
  99. AngelicaA
    Sep 29, 2005
    I'm a huge fan of the T.V series and Joss Whedon has certainly exceeded my expectations with Serenity. It's fabulous combination of comedy, thrilling, action and heartwrenching scenes, I'm definitely going to be seeing it again and I encourage fans, and even those who have NEVER seen it before, to go see it.
  100. JoeS.
    Painfully good.

1. A brash, funny, action-packed bit of sci-fi ecstasy--and a giant raspberry to the execs who let "Firefly" fall out of the sky.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    What makes Serenity refreshing is its avoidance of CGI, which gives the pic a much more human dimension; the evident chemistry between the cast; and a humor that doesn't rely simply on flip one-liners.
    Though richly allegorical, Serenity also works as a rousing and unabashedly manipulative adventure that never takes itself too seriously.