Universal Pictures | Release Date: September 30, 2005
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 760 Ratings
WATCH NOW
russiangamerMay 14, 2017
Сериал очень понравился, теперь про фильм.
Сериал очень понравился, теперь про фильм.
Создателям явно было мало 2-х часов, действие кажется каким-то скомканным. Даже пропала та ламповая атмосфера сериала, юмор сбавил в крутости и количестве, что расстроило, поскольку первая половина фильма довольна скучновата, ближе к концу сюжет становится интереснее.
Итог: Думаю, что оценят только фанаты сериала, людям же, которые не выдели его, будет мало что понятно.
Compi24Jan 26, 2017
Alright, so maybe I should have watched the series before seeing the film. . .or not? I mean it's not as if I didn't enjoy the film for what it was, practically speaking. And it's also doubly not as if theatrically released movies shouldAlright, so maybe I should have watched the series before seeing the film. . .or not? I mean it's not as if I didn't enjoy the film for what it was, practically speaking. And it's also doubly not as if theatrically released movies should require an entire user-manual of information in order for audiences to fully enjoy them. So, in that regard, as far as sci-fi/western movies based on canceled sci-fi/western television series that I've never seen go, I most certainly think this one is the best. All kidding aside though, when one looks past the glaring CGI missteps and the handful of "if you watched the TV show, you would totally understand what they're talking about" moments littered throughout, it's still a worthwhile/entertaining film with an incredible amount of wit and creativity abound. Expand
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
I feel like i cant review this movie honestly, and without prejudice since i'm a huge fan of the original 'Firefly' show, but man does this movie deliver on all levels.
To enjoy this movie fully you would have to have seen the series first,
To enjoy this movie fully you would have to have seen the series first, It's sheds (more) light on things we did and didn't already know which makes this movie so much more fun to watch. The fun characters are back, Whedon's always great snappy dialogue is also top-notch yet again, the better big budget special effects really enhance the movie as well, which was something the show didnt have the money for. It answers many unanswered questions, and informs us on things you didnt really wanted to know, but are still cool to know, but then again, the movie makes us ask questions that leave unanswered, and it doesn't answer ALL question we had about the show, which is the only reason why i dont give it a full score.

All in all 'Serenity' is immensely satisfying, and great on all levels, and it surely doesn't disappoints. When watching you'll just feel great to see this fun group of people back on screen for 1 last adventure.
ThatCooperGuySep 29, 2015
I wasn't as obsessed with the TV series like everyone else was, but holy hell, this movie was fantastic. I thought Firefly was solid, but Serenity is like the series finale people wish they got. I can't remember a movie that got me soI wasn't as obsessed with the TV series like everyone else was, but holy hell, this movie was fantastic. I thought Firefly was solid, but Serenity is like the series finale people wish they got. I can't remember a movie that got me so involved after coming off of a so little TV show. I gasped, got choked up, and even uttered "holy sh*t" at a certain point, but at the same time it captures the essence of the original TV series while having plenty of laughs & memorable moments. I'm so glad I was able to this in the theater, but I don't know why I was the only one who clapped when the movie ended. It was the perfect ending for the Firefly series. Expand
am006amJul 30, 2015
This space opera sci-fi adventure meet western scores high on cult value rather than mainstream appeal. To really appreciate the movie one wholly, one needs to watch its predecessor TV series Firefly. Oddly though for some folks like meThis space opera sci-fi adventure meet western scores high on cult value rather than mainstream appeal. To really appreciate the movie one wholly, one needs to watch its predecessor TV series Firefly. Oddly though for some folks like me Serenity brought me to watch Firefly. The movie only leaves you wanting for more! Expand
TickJul 19, 2015
I can only say I love this movie. One of my all-time favourites. I wish a sequel was possible. It continued the story, which was tragically and foolishly cut shot, in the TV series, and though it tried to conclude the story.. it just made meI can only say I love this movie. One of my all-time favourites. I wish a sequel was possible. It continued the story, which was tragically and foolishly cut shot, in the TV series, and though it tried to conclude the story.. it just made me want more. Expand
ianmcnabbApr 23, 2015
It started with"Cool", and it ended with me clawing at the TV looking for more firefly, singing, eyes crying, TAKE MY LOVE..." I loves it, I loves it forever...
oxanaSep 12, 2014
If you loved "Firefly", a TV series ended way before its time, then this is a must-see movie for you. I'm not sure how well people will be able to connect with the plot and the characters if they haven't watched "Firefly" prior to seeing thisIf you loved "Firefly", a TV series ended way before its time, then this is a must-see movie for you. I'm not sure how well people will be able to connect with the plot and the characters if they haven't watched "Firefly" prior to seeing this movie, so you would have to ask one of them how they felt about "Serenity". As a rule, I would tell everyone to watch "Firefly" as well, which pretty much solves the problem.

The movie is pretty much a two-hour TV episode. It has all the elements we've seen on "Firefly": the sarcastic, witty humor, loveable characters, the seriousness, the music, the style, the world.

I'm not sure how exactly the TV show and the movie connect, but River seems to have grown up some. Her behavior seems slightly different - not to mention more battle-ready. Her brother Simon looks better too, I must admit.

The plot itself is well balanced, although there are slightly glitchy moments that make you feel like they don't really belong, but mostly it's smooth sailing - and action-packed dodging. I especially love it that they focused a lot on Reavers, who have always interested me.

There is more action, naturally, and the graphics are beautiful, made with a bigger budget. The music is beautiful, lively and fitting. The costuming and details were good, and to sum it up: this is the movie you watch again, and again... and again.
Dragon_FlyAug 5, 2014
This is a great movie, as it has the Wild West in Outer Space feel to it. The storyline is done up with a brilliant sense of reality that can easily be debated on how the Reavers symbolize the actions of a small percentage of the totalThis is a great movie, as it has the Wild West in Outer Space feel to it. The storyline is done up with a brilliant sense of reality that can easily be debated on how the Reavers symbolize the actions of a small percentage of the total psychos that actually exist in real life.

I just love a movie with eccentric women in it. One has to really work a plot around an eccentric person as it demands a high effort from the: writers, directors and actors. River Tam represents a woman who has finally began to realize her true potential in life.
iCronicJul 11, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the tv Show was great, and the movie picks off where the tv Show left. good Action Scenes. the only Thing that pissed me off, was that the Pilot died so early and unnecessary Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Ah yes so after i had bought this and firefly i has watched firefly as soon as i got it but i just got around to watching this. It brings you right back into the firefly universe without messing a beat. From the random humor that is placedAh yes so after i had bought this and firefly i has watched firefly as soon as i got it but i just got around to watching this. It brings you right back into the firefly universe without messing a beat. From the random humor that is placed perfect. To the action that just just awesome.

Really at this point Joss Whedon is a god among nerds almost everything the guy does is pure gold. The CGI looks great and still holds up to this day i have watched movies with worse CGI just last year. And just like the show the acting is perfect they all did an amazing job but River (Summer Glau) was just beast she did a great job in this movie. The ending was crazy and she just didn't hold back.

Once again Mal (Nathan Fillion) was awesome every time he seems to get beat/shot/stabbed and it doesn't matter the guy just does not stop he is like a tank but one that you just cant figure out

Overall i give this a solid 8.5 though it's not as good as firefly but that is givin it still holds strong for being a awesome Sci-fi/western.
Bahamut2Feb 21, 2014
Why do you like this movie? I was bored :(
Maybe it's the movie, maybe the company... maybe i had a bad day, maybe because i saw it in spanish (my mother language) anyways i didnt like this movie... really.
Bruce722Jan 13, 2014
Serenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show andSerenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show and therefore, most of the story and emotion is predicated on the viewer having built up a certain amount of investment to take full effect. There were some minor changes where they altered some of the canon in order to explain things to new viewers and I didn't really care for that much but everything else was perfect. The cast of characters was the same group of beloved and diverse people from the series. The acting was fantastic, the charm was still there, the special effects were obviously improved, and they kept the little things that made fans fall in love with the show years ago. Most importantly, however, they wrapped up the loose ends. This is the conclusion Firefly and the fans deserved. Expand
PhanixisJan 12, 2014
I saw this movie shortly after watching the "Firefly" series on Netflix. I absolutely loved "Firefly", its premise, writing and characters. Unfortunately "Serenity", which is a sequel of sorts to this series, does not measure up. The plotI saw this movie shortly after watching the "Firefly" series on Netflix. I absolutely loved "Firefly", its premise, writing and characters. Unfortunately "Serenity", which is a sequel of sorts to this series, does not measure up. The plot of the movie was remarkably predictable whereas the series always had you guessing, the villain was unremarkable and out of place, and the main character acted out of character when compared to the series. The big reveal felt unremarkable and contrived; I would have been far more interested in finding out about the Institute and its G-Man then about the origins of the Reavers. The movie also contains many plot threads that seem to go nowhere.

Sadly the series died when it was canceled and the attempt to revive it was just not successful. This film feels more like a generic action adventure flick than a continuation of the series. It is functional but just doesn't measure up to the rest of "Firefly".
MichaelBagameryOct 19, 2013
I only saw the TV show on Netflix in the first half of 2013, and now I have to read the comics that were apparently written to flesh out the continuity in this 'Verse. This movie offered a welcome salve for my own (belated) disappointmentI only saw the TV show on Netflix in the first half of 2013, and now I have to read the comics that were apparently written to flesh out the continuity in this 'Verse. This movie offered a welcome salve for my own (belated) disappointment over Firefly itself being cancelled.

There is no way to summarize how good this is. The characters were all themselves, the plot was full and damned if the new settings (I won't spoil in this review) didn't help out as much.
sammieteeOct 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you enjoyed Firefly then you will enjoy Serenity. The movie was true to the series and the characters were everything you remembered. The adventure was kind of cool and it's cool to know some of the hidden secrets. I didn't like that they killed Wash but I guess it's something I can deal with. It was a good movie, not the best but good. Expand
CastylanOct 10, 2013
I just finished Serenity. I've been putting it off because it gave me the feeling that Firefly wasn't over, that it was still there, whilst I hadn't watched it. But after a minor spoiler, I just decided to do it.

Wow. I've heard mixed

Wow. I've heard mixed things about it, but really, I just can't recommend this enough, if you've watched the series.
I think what Firefly always had going for it was the fact that it really was unique. Not just the western sci-fi genre or the outcry over the only season, but the writing was just so great. Breaking of cliches was a treat to behold, and the wit; ahh, the wit. Serenity really held true to this for me. It was still original and it wrapped up loose ends so expertly. The villain wasn't generic(at least he was pretty unusual as villains go) and despite having seen similar things to him, he was still a curiosity. All the characters I loved came back, but it was clear time had passed which in Whedon's expert plan had implied events which closed up so much more than I expected.

The film itself; I don't know what to say. It just felt like an extended episode. And god, I loved it. This is more of a love letter than a review, sorry. But if you're like me and didn't want to say goodbye, it's not really goodbye. I promise.
JeicobuSep 6, 2013
Picking up where "Firefly" first season left of this film gives much closure for fans of the series, and it still manages to stand on it's own legs as a movie. If you watched and enjoyed Firefly or just like sci-fie, then this is a must see!
FicrabJul 29, 2013
With great character development, believable special effects and captivating action sequences Wheden has truly us a film to watch countless times. While those who have not seen the original Firefly series may feel left out of the loop this isWith great character development, believable special effects and captivating action sequences Wheden has truly us a film to watch countless times. While those who have not seen the original Firefly series may feel left out of the loop this is a brilliant homage to cult fans of the series. It isn't the ending the series deserved but it was the ending the fans needed. Expand
Defianc4Jul 14, 2013
2 best genres, mixed. Wonderful, original aesthetics and great political critique of Plato's view on morality and government. The cast is excellent, as the movie earns its stripes as both a stand-alone and a capstone to Firefly.
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Serenity smashes the plot of Firefly and turns into into an extremely fun horror thriller that will make not only Firefly fans but fans everywhere pleased.
VeryDarkJediJan 14, 2013
Why this one gets so good review is beyond me. It's really a TV-movie with a si-so plot, barely acceptable acting and generally substandard special effects.
jfrotylpe532Dec 22, 2012
The first thing that hit my mind when I heard about this movie was "And there back!". When the movie was over the first thing that hit my mind was "HOLY SH** that was crazy. Great Job Whedon!
titanium-tigerDec 2, 2012
When the user score and the critics score have this big discrepancy, you know the critics really missed something...as in..the mark. This is an EXCELLENT screen production of a superb TV series. Don't miss it.
HalfwelshmanOct 20, 2012
Serenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand andSerenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand and moving score from David Newman and Whedon's usual flair for snappy almost poetic dialogue, and this sci-fi really stands out from the crowd. Serenity is a fittingly grand and rewarding send-off to Firefly, an exceptional TV series cruelly cancelled before it reached its full potential, and Whedon thankfully wasn't tempted to overcomplicate the plot, keeping it relatively stripped-back and linear, sticking to resolving a couple of dangling plot threads from the series, and always focussed on the characters and their relationships that steadily develop over the course of their journey. It feels like we've never left the space-faring rustbucket, as the technically impressive single-shot opening sequence that guides us through the entire vessel proves - the characters are exactly where we left them, and we as an audience feel ready to be re-acquainted with their various eccentricities. The cast all deliver, with Nathan Fillion upping his performance as a far darker Captain Mal Reynolds than we saw in the TV series, Adam Baldwin's towering but soft-at-heart Jayne still brings the laughs, and Summer Glau's psychic warrior angel River proves to be a real force of nature. The newcomers also impress - Chiwetel Ejiofor is terrifyingly calm and collected as a fanatical nameless assassin, and David Krumholtz's information dealer Mr Universe is a fun character and invaluable ally to the crew of the Serenity. Like the preceding series, Serenity is a film of striking contrasts - science-fiction/western, Eastern culture/Western culture, the darkness of human nature and the eternal optimism in the human heart. As a film it delivers not just in terms of spectacle, but in terms of intelligent ideas and emotional character-driven drama, particularly in the film's stunning final act. This universe of galactic frontiers, settlers, smuggling, adventure and mad space cannibals remains endlessly entertaining, and if this really is the final time we'll see Whedon's beloved creation on-screen, then it has been given a majestic final voyage. Expand
TokyochuchuSep 10, 2012
Whether or not you're a fan of it's parent TV show Firefly, Serenity makes for a fantastic slice of sci-fi action. The chemistry between the crew members is fantastic, bringing much more humor and warmth than we usually get to see from theseWhether or not you're a fan of it's parent TV show Firefly, Serenity makes for a fantastic slice of sci-fi action. The chemistry between the crew members is fantastic, bringing much more humor and warmth than we usually get to see from these type of movies. The plot is suitably epic and there is a great foil for the heroes in the form of Chiwetel Ejiofor's calm, calculatingly evil assassin. You'd be hard pressed to find a more entertaining or soulful sci-fi movie than Serenity. Expand
SubzSep 8, 2012
It absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantasticIt absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantastic film, the unfortunate cancellation of Firefly left me dead inside, thinking about all the amazing things Joss Whedon must have planned for the show, there must have been A LOT, so fitting a lot of it into a movie to give it a proper finale must have been tough but pulled off brilliantly! A definite must watch, but PLEASE remember to watch Firefly first! I've seen way too many people watch Serenity without watching Firefly first. Expand
Welterweight426Aug 16, 2012
Firefly was a great show. While this is a good movie, it lacked some of the things that made the show great.To me, the movie seemed to be about a lot of action and didnt focus on the characters themselves as much. Still, a great andFirefly was a great show. While this is a good movie, it lacked some of the things that made the show great.To me, the movie seemed to be about a lot of action and didnt focus on the characters themselves as much. Still, a great and entertaining movie Expand
PQuinnyJan 15, 2012
Joss Whedon has done it again. I was so happy when I found out they made a movie from Firefly, a cancelled Fox television show. The plot of this movie was astounding, and it wrapped up some of the mysteries of Firefly. It's cast all wereJoss Whedon has done it again. I was so happy when I found out they made a movie from Firefly, a cancelled Fox television show. The plot of this movie was astounding, and it wrapped up some of the mysteries of Firefly. It's cast all were presented with top of the line dialogue, and that made the movie so much more enjoyable. I hope someday in the future Joss Whedon will continue to make movies about the crew of Serenity, because this truly was an awesome production. Expand
GearHead15Nov 28, 2011
Great movie. Great characters, great story, great writing. This movie was the reason I started watching Firefly and the reason I am an avid Browncoat to this day.
gpguyOct 11, 2011
The movie was ok by itself but it wasn't true to the characters and the chemistry the characters had in the TV series like for example they were able to do so well with the Star trek series and movies. It wasn't special effects and actionThe movie was ok by itself but it wasn't true to the characters and the chemistry the characters had in the TV series like for example they were able to do so well with the Star trek series and movies. It wasn't special effects and action that drew me to the TV series. In the series for example how Simon clumsily flirted with Kaylee, and in the end the romance blossomed. I didn't recognize Simon who turned into this alpha-male in the movies. All of the characters were more cynical, meaner, darker in the movie. If you were looking for a movie that played homage to the series you will be disappointed. The movie by itself is OK to watch. Expand
liquefireSep 3, 2011
Great characters, great atmosphere and while the story line can somewhat be deduced as you are going along the overall experience is great. Solid all the way through. Too bad this show was canned.
PierApr 7, 2011
Awful movie in every aspect you can think of. Fake characters, dumb dialogues, pointless plot, bad CG, mediocre music... I thought having a 9.2 score on MC it couldn't be that bad... but it is. Even worst than the Phantom Menace...
roddersj04Jan 1, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Proof that dreams can come true. When Firefly was unfairly cancelled by Fox, Browncoats round the world rallied together to try and revive the series. Sadly, another season was off the cards. But Universal Studios saved the day, by picking up a Firefly film, known as Serenity. They took a gamble, picking up a movie based upon a failed TV show. And you know what? I'm glad they took that chance. Sure, it cost the lives of fan favourites Wash and Sheppard Book, with the latter and Inara off Serenity with less screen time, but it doesn't hinder the story. The dialogue still shines, the chemistry between cast members is still there and the film does not dissapoint. The new villain, The Operative, is a brilliant one, masterfully played by (i'm sorry, I can't spell his name for soup) that awesome guy. We get the story rounded off, with answers about River and the Reavers feature more prominently. The crew finally defeat the alliance and Kaylee and Simon finally get it on! Sure, theres some questions left unanswered (until the comic books are released) but nethertheless, this film is for true fans of both Firefly and the Whedonverse. A sequel may seem unlikely, but we can still enjoy this fine film in all its glory. Praise be to the Serenity Crew Expand
pedrocJun 25, 2010
I do not know who was really the main character, if it was River, I did not like. And if the main character was the captain, I would not upset. Anyway the bad guy was the best of the movie. I also thought that river would have more I do not know who was really the main character, if it was River, I did not like. And if the main character was the captain, I would not upset. Anyway the bad guy was the best of the movie. I also thought that river would have more prominence throughout the movie, and perhaps some resemblance to/with Resident Evil's Valentine. Expand
LightDeathMay 31, 2010
A great movie that exemplifies Josh Whedon's enigmatic writing with the best of all scifi genres, cowbuys in space!
BrendanDJan 29, 2010
I find the criticisms of this film on this website to be kind of hilarious. Two commenters note similarities to an old BBC show called Blake's 7 and call that program superior to Firefly/Serenity (I have to wonder if they ever saw I find the criticisms of this film on this website to be kind of hilarious. Two commenters note similarities to an old BBC show called Blake's 7 and call that program superior to Firefly/Serenity (I have to wonder if they ever saw Blake's 7, which is maybe a hair better than the '60s version of Lost in Space). Others criticize the fanboys and fangirls who (understandably) talk about the series on which Serenity is based. So here's the real deal: Serenity works as two types of film, a space opera and a three-part series finale. As the former, Serenity is up there with Wrath of Khan and Empire as one of those alternately hilarious and moving sh*t-blows-up-in-space flicks; if you liked the first two Star Wars films, you'll like Serenity. So far as the continuation of Firefly is concerned... well, that's trickier, because this is everything Firefly wasn't. Firefly was a natural serial that was pushed to be a procedural, and, though at times a great show, it never matured to the brilliance to which it aspired. In Serenity, however, we see the world Firefly tried to create fleshed out. All the humor and characterization of the series is there, but the plot has been fleshed out more, doing for Firefly what the afore-mentioned Khan did for the original Star Trek: taking a good idea and making it awesome. Oh, and one last thing: anyone who dislikes the acting is a fool. Nathan Fillion is outstanding as the Han Solo-esque Mal Reynolds, and his performance makes me wonder what Star Wars might've been if centering not around Luke Crywalker (ahem) but the actually interesting character from that great-but-overrated trilogy. Expand
AlanR.Nov 26, 2009
I had never watched firefly before watching this movie. my first move after watching it was to watch it again; and again, i then went out and bought the firefly season on DVD. i cannot stress how amazing this movie and Joss Whedon's vision is.
JossW.Aug 9, 2009
Simply amazing. I do suggest watching Firefly first for the full impact, however.
karym6Jul 21, 2009
Good effects and a good effort all round by the crew. Ultimately this film is let down by two things, the story and the acting. Fillion is pretty poor as the lead, all of the supporting characters are much more interesting than him and can Good effects and a good effort all round by the crew. Ultimately this film is let down by two things, the story and the acting. Fillion is pretty poor as the lead, all of the supporting characters are much more interesting than him and can act better really. I noted a comment about Blakes 7 by another user. I think this is what really, really gets me annoyed with Wheedon and this film. So many people say its totally original and has a great story - yes it does, it has the story from Blakes 7. Which is pretty much superior in every way. I am also a little disgruntled to see the "fans" giving out scores of 10 and then talking about the series - this is not the series, the series is completely different to this. This is not a great scifi film, it isnt a cult film it is merely average. Watch it and make your own mind up. Expand
0 of 5 users found this helpful
J.S.Jul 14, 2009
What a great movie! I'd been a fan of the TV show for awhile, and it was great to see the characters returning. This movie really had everything, and it was done in a very unique and epic manner. The character depth was there as usual, What a great movie! I'd been a fan of the TV show for awhile, and it was great to see the characters returning. This movie really had everything, and it was done in a very unique and epic manner. The character depth was there as usual, even if at times the actors seemed a bit stale. One complaint that I have is that the assassin, the black guy, his character wasn't anything near as deep as it was in the TV show. I wanted some of those odd perspectives, and some more information on where he came from, rather than reintroducing him. I noticed that it seemed to do a better job of introducing people to the 'franchise' than most of these kinds of movies do. They didn't spend too much time explaining the events of the show, but I'm confident anyone could easily follow. I was thinking that it's kind of like what a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic mobie would be.. Hmm. This movie would hold its own with any Star Wars, Star Trek, or any of the other major Sci-Fi movies. Expand
lapinrJun 14, 2009
Trashy pulp scfi with zero atmosphere - the viewer ends up thinking "well that was OK" But it does romp along enjoyably & undemandingly, plenty of action & whizzy stuff for teenagers. The actors are cardboard cutouts who struggle to make Trashy pulp scfi with zero atmosphere - the viewer ends up thinking "well that was OK" But it does romp along enjoyably & undemandingly, plenty of action & whizzy stuff for teenagers. The actors are cardboard cutouts who struggle to make real characters from the script! best thing is the references to star wars, buffy, alien (its almost as if the film sets were borrowed!) worth watching at home with a takaway & a few beers. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
JohnKMay 16, 2009
A truly amazing film from a series that was cancelled well before its time.
PlacidDMay 6, 2009
One of the best, if not the best sci-fi movies i have seen. A viewer would do himself a huge favor to watch the Firefly series first though, in order to get backstories sorted, etc, as the movie moves very quickly, and can become confusing One of the best, if not the best sci-fi movies i have seen. A viewer would do himself a huge favor to watch the Firefly series first though, in order to get backstories sorted, etc, as the movie moves very quickly, and can become confusing on its own. Expand
SquallFeb 15, 2009
Absolutely brilliant film. One of my favourites of all time. Much better if you've seen the series of course, but not entirely necessary.
RyanM.Dec 31, 2008
One of the best sci-fi films I have ever seen.
GregADec 20, 2008
You would be wise to watch the series FireFly first before watching Serenity - you'll still enjoy it, but there is a lot depth you'll miss out on if you don't. Although it is another sci-fi flick, it isn't so far removed You would be wise to watch the series FireFly first before watching Serenity - you'll still enjoy it, but there is a lot depth you'll miss out on if you don't. Although it is another sci-fi flick, it isn't so far removed from what might actually be around in 500 years time, and that reality is what appeals to me. Expand
JoshS.Sep 18, 2008
this was an amazing movie that captured the essentials of the television show (also great), but also gave new viewers the chance to see why the characters are so memorable and heart warming.
kittyJul 8, 2008
I loved Firefly, so I was really excited when I heard that they were going to make a movie, and I wasn't disappointed. Great way to end the story.
WhiffleM.Jun 14, 2008
What's not to love? An opening scene that changes perspective three times, followed by an extended-take tour through the ship, introducing all the crew members in the process. Like the much-lamented TV show, a labor of love. Buy it, as What's not to love? An opening scene that changes perspective three times, followed by an extended-take tour through the ship, introducing all the crew members in the process. Like the much-lamented TV show, a labor of love. Buy it, as you'll want to see it again and again. Expand
11 of 11 users found this helpful
MD.Feb 12, 2008
One of my favorite movies of all time. Not only does it include a political theme, it has action and romance (but not ooey-gooey sappy romance, just plain fun romance) and comedy. It does have a lot of violence, so if that isn't your One of my favorite movies of all time. Not only does it include a political theme, it has action and romance (but not ooey-gooey sappy romance, just plain fun romance) and comedy. It does have a lot of violence, so if that isn't your thing you probably won't like it much. Regardless, I'd also recommend the Firefly tv series. It has all the action, romance, comedy, and political statements, but often without quite as much violence. Expand
samm.Dec 8, 2007
well filmed, great script, and some classy one liners. this sci-fi brings a fresh face to a usually recent boring genre.
DXDec 1, 2007
FIREFLY/Serenity is one of the greatest Sci-Fi shows of our time. Fox really dropped the ball when they aired the episodes at random show times and then canceled the show prematurely.
KarenH.Sep 14, 2007
Perfect characterizations and a thought-provoking story, full of humour, intelligence and great special effects and music. The acting and character interplay and attention to detail added dimension to the space story. Not a fairy-tale story, Perfect characterizations and a thought-provoking story, full of humour, intelligence and great special effects and music. The acting and character interplay and attention to detail added dimension to the space story. Not a fairy-tale story, but a realistic mythos and universe. Expand
AndreaAug 23, 2007
Long live Joss. How can someone not love this movie with the hysterical dialouge and suprise losses. It really helps to watch firefly first though, but not necessary to enjoy the film.
GeorgeM.Jun 29, 2007
It makes you wonder why Star Wars gets so much attention even today, when there are absolutely amazing space-set sci-fi films such as this one around. Then again, Serenity truly is on a plateau of quality all its own. Sensational film.
MikeBMay 29, 2007
Rent, buy or somehow watch the only season of the TV series, Firefly. After you're done with that, watch Serenity. If you still don't immensely enjoy it (and the TV series) then maybe you should stick to traditional sci-fi with Rent, buy or somehow watch the only season of the TV series, Firefly. After you're done with that, watch Serenity. If you still don't immensely enjoy it (and the TV series) then maybe you should stick to traditional sci-fi with loads of wrinkle headed aliens and gratuitous special effects. Expand
LeoRApr 21, 2007
I really don't see what the big deal is with this film. It was completely average in every single way. To compare this film to any of the Star Wars films is an insult. And the so called "witty banter" is just utter crap. Their I really don't see what the big deal is with this film. It was completely average in every single way. To compare this film to any of the Star Wars films is an insult. And the so called "witty banter" is just utter crap. Their isn't a more average sci-fi film out there. Expand
0 of 5 users found this helpful
AndrewD.Jan 6, 2007
Serenity is the perfect blend of sci-fi, action, comedy, western and drama. As a fan of Firefly, I am happy to see that Joss Wheadon was able to stay true to the original show, without alienating newcomers. Nearly everyone that I introduced Serenity is the perfect blend of sci-fi, action, comedy, western and drama. As a fan of Firefly, I am happy to see that Joss Wheadon was able to stay true to the original show, without alienating newcomers. Nearly everyone that I introduced to the movie has now become fans of the original series. We are all looking forward to more Firefly based productions, in whatever form they may arrive. Expand
SanM.Nov 5, 2006
Serenity was an incredible adventure from start to finish. The characters were well-formed, believable, appealing and interesting. They represented the best and worst of us. The storyline was timely and wove together our greatest hopes and Serenity was an incredible adventure from start to finish. The characters were well-formed, believable, appealing and interesting. They represented the best and worst of us. The storyline was timely and wove together our greatest hopes and fears as human beings. Expand
PaulG.Oct 30, 2006
I had never even heard of the T.V. series, Firefly, when a friend turned me on to SERENITY. I loved the movie the first time I saw it. Original, funny and daring with wonderful acting. After my 5th viewing, I went out and purchased the I had never even heard of the T.V. series, Firefly, when a friend turned me on to SERENITY. I loved the movie the first time I saw it. Original, funny and daring with wonderful acting. After my 5th viewing, I went out and purchased the Serenity DVD. I think I've seen it 9 times now and it is just as good as the first time. This is a well written movie, with great characters, including: a brilliantly devilish bad-guy, and an imperfect hero who you can't help but like. Expand
TomOct 26, 2006
Great sequel to the greatest TV-series. Finally meet the Reavers and get to know how they became what they are now...
MrCoeJul 14, 2006
Bag of Shite. I watched this movie with the prospect of seeing something the 3 new star wars films had missed and wtih the glimmer of hope that it would have the freshness of the originals. Oh how i was wrong,mumbling lines, cheesy dialogue, Bag of Shite. I watched this movie with the prospect of seeing something the 3 new star wars films had missed and wtih the glimmer of hope that it would have the freshness of the originals. Oh how i was wrong,mumbling lines, cheesy dialogue, computer game visuals, incredibly loose and dull plot, boring fight sequences adn due to the amount of characters nobody you actually gave a rats ass about. the reavers were so intensely grotesque it seems the director was scared of putting them on camera just a swish of somebody with red paint on their face every now and again. the plot was ludicrous, never explained why the girl was being harboured into whatever, and why anyone would give a rats ass about the fact they watched a video saying the government was corrupt.- tell me something i don't know. Expand
4 of 26 users found this helpful
BenS.Jun 21, 2006
Sparky Sci-Fi western hybrid following the adventures of a scavenging crew. For fans of the brilliant, if shortlived TV series 'Firefly', this big screen reprieve is quite simply essential viewing, offering a brief but tantalising Sparky Sci-Fi western hybrid following the adventures of a scavenging crew. For fans of the brilliant, if shortlived TV series 'Firefly', this big screen reprieve is quite simply essential viewing, offering a brief but tantalising glimpse at the worlds Joss Whedon and his writers had only just begun to explore. There's plenty for newcomers here too, thanks to tight direction, a snappy script fizzing with ideas, and strong performances from the returning cast. Expand
KrisA.Jun 16, 2006
Serenity is the best film the best film since fight club. It covers the genres of action, comedy, sci-fi and martial arts to perfection. It is a must see for all.
DanL.May 24, 2006
If you are one of those people who appreciate a good story, plenty of action, and some genuine fun, Serenity is a good fit for you. This is the silver screen portrayal of the beloved (but short-lived) Firefly TV show. The characters in the If you are one of those people who appreciate a good story, plenty of action, and some genuine fun, Serenity is a good fit for you. This is the silver screen portrayal of the beloved (but short-lived) Firefly TV show. The characters in the movie all live up to their past acclaim and also do a good job of welcoming new visitors to Joss Whedon's amazing western/sci-fi universe. Please, if you have any love for the science fiction genre, give this a try. Then, if you love the movie, for godsakes, buy the Firefly Box Set! Expand
ChrisR.Apr 11, 2006
Missing the point! This is the single greatest piece of genre-mixing to EVER see the big screen... Whedon's ability to condense a complex and well-articulated semi-verse into an enjoyable, yet cerebral passion play is astounding... And Missing the point! This is the single greatest piece of genre-mixing to EVER see the big screen... Whedon's ability to condense a complex and well-articulated semi-verse into an enjoyable, yet cerebral passion play is astounding... And I think there's a bit of anti-TV bias here, so let me explain... I was never a fan of Buffy as a T. V. show, much less the movie, but I relented to my better half's judgement, and caught a few episodes of BTVS. My initial reaction was one of amazement, primarily how dialogue, as the vehicle upon which EVERY television show worth its salt is carried, elevated the series beyond its counterparts. Dialogue as a vehicle of explication... What a NOVEL CONCEPT!!! (Yeah, George L., that's how we fell in love with that pirate-smuggler, who went on to movie greatness, remember???!!!) Alas, dialogue explication is the luxury of the T. V. series, and when that series gets dumped, focus changes, especially when you are simultaneously given a two-plus hour big screen opportunity to wrap up every loose end, and at the same time make every character matter... ...And Whedon delivers, lashing the bundled threads together like a captain faced with the storm of expectations, while letting the creative vision fly in the wind. Serenity is, above and beyond all else, what it is; dusty jargon, hardscrabble lifestyles, and above all else, a story that LIVES in it's own unique world. Sometimes, the farce that we live in needs a voice in another time, and if properly voiced, that farce carries the weight of truth farther than any of our expectations... Serenity isn't our collective future; rather, it's a potential future in which we can get comfy and explore what really matters... Love, greed, morals, and ultimately, personal salvation are still possible, regardless of time or place... Expand
PatC.Apr 3, 2006
Not as deep as it appears, but easy to follow. The bantering dialogue is the best part.
JasonS.Apr 3, 2006
I was a huge Firefly fan and really looked forward to this movie. However it suffers from several problems, the 9 central characters from the series are just too many for a movie and for people not familiar with the TV series must have I was a huge Firefly fan and really looked forward to this movie. However it suffers from several problems, the 9 central characters from the series are just too many for a movie and for people not familiar with the TV series must have seemed very 2 dimensional. The other main issue is that it doesn't really work as Sci-Fi,some minor points are the solar system with numerous habitable planets/moons all with the same gravity (just doesn't make sense), the brightest planet (Miranda) is supposedly the furthest out, the location of Mr Universe's transmitter etc. but the single biggest issue is the Reavers, we're told there are only 30,000 of these essentially mindless zombies yet they are able to run starships and in the 6 or 7 years since their creation the Alliance military have been totally unable to deal with them. Expand
GabrielM.Mar 29, 2006
May they make many more. 'Cause we'll see'em.
DaveC.Mar 28, 2006
This is one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. The story premise was good, decent plot, but the DIALOGUE made it nearly unwatchable. Grammar errors bordering on the absurd. Cliche's used with such abandon that it was nearly This is one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. The story premise was good, decent plot, but the DIALOGUE made it nearly unwatchable. Grammar errors bordering on the absurd. Cliche's used with such abandon that it was nearly mind numbing. The Operative and River were great characters with halfway decent script but the rest, total B-movie hack jobs. Expand
NeilS.Mar 18, 2006
I can't believe all these 10 ratings?!?! This film felt like a B-Movie. The story was ok but the characters were terrible. The 'Mal' character had absolutely no screen presence at all, and I didn
RobertM.Mar 9, 2006
A Sci Fi frontier rollercoaster ride with a gritty human element that is lacking in utopian Empire and Federation depictions. The best movie in this genre for ages, may there be many more. May be a touch ambiguous for those that haven't A Sci Fi frontier rollercoaster ride with a gritty human element that is lacking in utopian Empire and Federation depictions. The best movie in this genre for ages, may there be many more. May be a touch ambiguous for those that haven't seen the series, but stands up well on it's own. Expand
AlexZ.Feb 24, 2006
I have to agree with Nick on this one. It's, at least for my taste, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Yes - I liked the first five minutes the most too. To be honest I left the cinema 30 minutes before it was over because I I have to agree with Nick on this one. It's, at least for my taste, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Yes - I liked the first five minutes the most too. To be honest I left the cinema 30 minutes before it was over because I couldn't take it. Expand
PeterB.Feb 23, 2006
A great intellectual movie, with the perfect amount of properly placed humor. The movie stayed true to the T.V. show, however it stands on its own for people who did not see "Firefly." Great acting + action, and not too over-the-top!
BarbaraB.Feb 11, 2006
This movie holds up after repeat viewings. Still can't ever decide when to run to the bathroom if needed. There's nothing I want to miss.
TheMulroneycakesPrincipleJan 29, 2006
Yes! This is what they want! Firefly, If you've never seen Firefly before you may be a litte confused, but then there's that bitchin' tracking shot which introduces the cast and their situation, so you should be okay. Oh, and Yes! This is what they want! Firefly, If you've never seen Firefly before you may be a litte confused, but then there's that bitchin' tracking shot which introduces the cast and their situation, so you should be okay. Oh, and you will be shocked at least once. I promise. Good film. Now make more. Expand
DavidL.Jan 22, 2006
Serenity, although overlooked by audiences, was one of the strongest movies of 2005. The ensemble cast is terrific, the writing is tight and witty, and despite its rather modest budget (for this type of movie in this day and age) the Serenity, although overlooked by audiences, was one of the strongest movies of 2005. The ensemble cast is terrific, the writing is tight and witty, and despite its rather modest budget (for this type of movie in this day and age) the cinematography and special effects are seamless. Although the series has grown on me since its original airing, I felt the movie was much stronger and more cohesive than the TV series. In short, this film exceeded my expectations by a great deal--I was genuinely moved by what Whedon and Co. were able to accomplish. Highly recommended. Expand
JaredE.Jan 12, 2006
Hands down, film of the year, dong ma?
TheoB.Jan 10, 2006
If you missed it on the big screen, catch this ingenious, thought-provoking gem on DVD. Its pseudo-B movie-ish cover art notwithstanding, the film inside is an compactly-built and exhilerating SF romp replete with fresh (and very talented) If you missed it on the big screen, catch this ingenious, thought-provoking gem on DVD. Its pseudo-B movie-ish cover art notwithstanding, the film inside is an compactly-built and exhilerating SF romp replete with fresh (and very talented) young stars, clever dialogue that gives viewers credit for intelligence, head-snapping action sequences, shocks, laughs, suspense and a twisting plot that, despite its occasional whiff of over-familiarity, satisfies emotionally while whetting the appetite for future adventures with these engaging characters. One of the best, most underrated genre films of 2005. Expand
MichaelH.Jan 9, 2006
Fantastic Movie from an amazing story line, bring back the stories!
BillKJan 7, 2006
ShInEy!
StephanieC.Jan 7, 2006
Serenity is hard-hitting, witty, and completely delightful. The characters are full of vigor, and the visuals are a dream. Yes, seeing the television show, Firefly, is an enormous boost - but the movie stands on it's own fabulously!
GaborA.Jan 7, 2006
Suprisingly good, but by no means fantastic. However, i see a lot of potential if the series continues.
ShawnM.Jan 4, 2006
Excellent continuation of the already stellar TV series. Congrats Joss Whedon, you have a new lifelong fan.
MarkR.Jan 2, 2006
This movie is awesome! A must-see sci-fi film of true imagination and energy. The characters, dialogue and effects rock!
LaurenMJan 2, 2006
An incredible character-driven movie that deserves way more credit than it's generally getting. Great characters, acting, writing, dialogue, and even special effects considering its budget. A guarenteed cult classic. "Can't stop An incredible character-driven movie that deserves way more credit than it's generally getting. Great characters, acting, writing, dialogue, and even special effects considering its budget. A guarenteed cult classic. "Can't stop the signal" Expand
RanG.Jan 2, 2006
Best sci-fi movie in the last 25 years, all Star Wars prequels, and "Return of the Jedi" included. But also a fun, well-made movie that grabs your interest and never lets it go. Lucas should have seen this before making "Revenge".
RobertF.Jan 1, 2006
The movie rocked.
RShapiroDec 30, 2005
Good stuff, primarily on account of Wheedon's wit and commitment to character development. The one-liners are smart, as is the juxtoposition of the western in space, and the film never takes itself too seriously. Cinematically it is Good stuff, primarily on account of Wheedon's wit and commitment to character development. The one-liners are smart, as is the juxtoposition of the western in space, and the film never takes itself too seriously. Cinematically it is less than perfect, but given the drivel that passes as Sci-Fi these days (ahem, Lucas), it is refreshing to find this little gem out there. Never saw Firefly, not so much a Sci-Fi or action buff, not a gamer, but I enjoyed this film mightily, will rent the series and see what I've been missing. Expand
BobMDec 28, 2005
Definitly a great movie, in the style of older sci-fi, where a story was actually told. Think Omega Man, Soilent Green, Planet of the Apes. I'll miss this as it didn't sell all that well.
CharleyRDec 27, 2005
Not owning a T.V., my wife and I did not know that Firefly existed before the Movie. What a great movie. It's possibly the best Sci-fi movie we've ever seen including the Star Wars franchise.
NickH.Dec 27, 2005
I am a life long Star Wars fan, sucked in by the whole light sabre thing... But Serenity brings the real goods; great story, dialogue, and characters we care about. Best Sci-Fi ever.
TimDec 27, 2005
Great. If you are a fan of adventure or sci fi movies you will love serenity.
MelissaMDec 25, 2005
I don't see what everyone thought was so great about this movie. I was underwhelmed. Okay, but definitely no 9 or 10... Maybe it's just that I'm not a gamer.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
AlunL.Dec 24, 2005
This film proves that Joss Whedon can do movies for the masses when given the proper control! Science fiction with it's message intact...oh Lord how I have waited:)
BenjitheGreatDec 24, 2005
This is a great little sci-fi flick that should have received more cred in the box office. By having likable characters, wit, and an engaging story we are reminded why the new Star Wars movies sucked so badly. I was also impressed with the This is a great little sci-fi flick that should have received more cred in the box office. By having likable characters, wit, and an engaging story we are reminded why the new Star Wars movies sucked so badly. I was also impressed with the special effects in this film wich werent overdone or corny at all. Expand
MikeDec 23, 2005
Yes the special effects are really good. But its sooo boring! the acting is bad, and so is the story.
SebatF.Dec 22, 2005
Absolutely the best sci fi ever released!!!
DominiquedeG.Dec 22, 2005
Oh, my god!, this film is the best i have ever seen. Good story, special effects, digital art without seeing the difference between real and the 3d artists works. At the end i hoped they accept the black man. They can make a serie of films Oh, my god!, this film is the best i have ever seen. Good story, special effects, digital art without seeing the difference between real and the 3d artists works. At the end i hoped they accept the black man. They can make a serie of films about this like the Matrix This is a very good movie. Perfect! Thanks for the person who have made the storie! Expand