Utopia Pictures | Release Date: September 2, 2011
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 12 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JohnnyTwoCentsAug 7, 2012
Manipulative garbage. Shameful schlock. I have lost total respect for Robert Duvall for allowing himself to be involved in such a syrup infested predictable piece of made for TV embarrassment. God Bless.
magaSep 13, 2011
Boring Christian propaganda flick--reality as they would like it to be rather than what it is. Christian fantasy. This is the kind of world imagined by people wanting to avoid dealing with the world and all it complications. When I was tenBoring Christian propaganda flick--reality as they would like it to be rather than what it is. Christian fantasy. This is the kind of world imagined by people wanting to avoid dealing with the world and all it complications. When I was ten I would have enjoyed it. Expand
FilmDilettanteOct 26, 2011
Seven Days in Utopia is the sweet story of promising young Texas golfer Luke Chisholm (Lucas Black) who chafes under the control of his mentor father. In his first golf match on the pro tour, his father (Joseph Lyle Taylor) abandons himSeven Days in Utopia is the sweet story of promising young Texas golfer Luke Chisholm (Lucas Black) who chafes under the control of his mentor father. In his first golf match on the pro tour, his father (Joseph Lyle Taylor) abandons him publicly, and Luke melts down and leaves the match, driving until he reaches Utopia, Texas. There he meets retired golf pro Johnny Crawford (Robert Duvall) who helps him get back his game over the next seven days while he romances local girl Sarah (Deborah Ann Woll) and endears himself to the town folk (Kathy Baker, Melissa Leo). After his lessons in Utopia, complete with Bible instruction, Luke then returns to his now remorseful and conciliatory father for another chance at the tour.

Because the venerable Robert Duvall, Melissa Leo and Kathy Baker signed on for this production, I ventured out to see Seven Days in Utopia. Despite its seasoned cast, this film comes off as well-intentioned but amateurish. With the exception of Duvall and Leo, the performances were shallow stereotypes of rural Texas people made worse by some silly costuming. The filmmakers clearly believe rural Texans are completely lacking in sophistication and never watch TV, shop at a department store or visit a hair dresser. The final absurdity comes when the local boy played by Brian Geraghty takes off his straw hat and gives it to Luke as a farewell gesture of friendship--everyone knows that any Texas cowboy worth his salt would never part with his hat--just ask Lyle Lovett. The film also has a gimmicky ending which left me feeling as if I had been watching an infomercial for the past 90 minutes. In short, this is a sweet fairy tale that portrays life and Texas as the filmmakers imagine it, and not as it is. The lack of authenticity in the setting and characters leave the plot ungrounded and the film difficult to regard as serious cinema. Sometimes this happens when filmmakers are more intent on making a statement rather than telling a good story, or they are just inexperienced. Either way, I can only give Seven Days in Utopia a three. 'Nuff said, ya'll. This review also appeared at www.filmdilettante.com.
kbm1Oct 19, 2012
I think we've found the nominee for time waster of the decade. My main problem with this film was how it only gradually started with Christian values in its first three quarters, and then started streamlining them and shoveling them down yourI think we've found the nominee for time waster of the decade. My main problem with this film was how it only gradually started with Christian values in its first three quarters, and then started streamlining them and shoveling them down your throat in the last minutes. It turns into a complete nonredeemable mess. Expand