CBS Films | Release Date: October 12, 2012
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 319 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MrMovieBuffMar 2, 2017
Director Martin McDonagh and star Colin Farrell return for another dark comedy with 'Seven Psychopaths', after the somewhat slow-burning 'In Bruges' (2008), they decide to tackle a writer's frightening journey as he and his friends landDirector Martin McDonagh and star Colin Farrell return for another dark comedy with 'Seven Psychopaths', after the somewhat slow-burning 'In Bruges' (2008), they decide to tackle a writer's frightening journey as he and his friends land themselves in trouble. We meet a writer named Marty (Colin Farrell), who is struggling to write a film in Los Angeles, and needs to finish it as soon as possible, the movie he is writing is called "Seven Psychopaths". Marty's friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell) is an unemployed actor who seems to be making a living by kidnapping dogs, only to return them to their owners and be rewarded money for it. The man helping him do this, Hans (Christopher Walken) has a wife who has been diagnosed with cancer, so he needs the money too. One day, Billy and Hans steal a Shih Tzu, who is owned by a violent gangster named Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson), and that is where trouble ensues for the main characters, as they have to do everything they can to make sure that they don't end up getting murdered. The movie, like the previous film 'In Bruges', suffers from the typical slow-burning pay-off. The comedy delivery is very so-so, and the plot tends to move at a frustrating pace. Farrell, once again, is terrific, and so are Rockwell and Walken. But, their performances can do better than what this movie had to offer them. At times, I was waiting for the punchline to pay-off, but instead, I found myself waiting to at least chuckle, let alone, roll on the floor laughing. It is an average comedy. Expand
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Not without moments of intriguing social critique and compelling ventures into backstory, Seven Psychopaths meta-film elements come across as half-hearted and the ending is quite dissapointing.
BroyaxJan 18, 2017
Je ne sais pas qui est ce Martin au nom imprononçable mais on dirait bien un disciple dévôt de Quentin Tarantignole et Guy Richie, les spécialistes invétérés au QI d'invertébrés des comédies adulescentes imbéciles à l'humour 'jackass" de laJe ne sais pas qui est ce Martin au nom imprononçable mais on dirait bien un disciple dévôt de Quentin Tarantignole et Guy Richie, les spécialistes invétérés au QI d'invertébrés des comédies adulescentes imbéciles à l'humour 'jackass" de la tête dans le fion. Et si ce n'est pas le cas, ça y ressemble fort, si fort que ça frôle à la fois le pastiche et l'hommage, à l'insu de son ignorance éventuellement.

Malgré une belle distribution, on y retrouve comme dit plus haut l'humour "branchecouille" absurde et outré au possible qui ferait mourir de honte les improbables boutades de Philippe Bouvard lui-même. Ainsi, cette histoire de Mafia à la recherche de leurs clébards enlevés n'arrache pas le moindre sourire ni le plus petit rictus ; par contre, on lève les yeux au plafond et on souffle, on souffle longuement pour s'aérer le cerveau en souffrance.

Voilà donc une kikoololerie très symptomatique de la génération Fèces-Bouc qui contamine le cinéma à très grande vitesse... même si, on le sait, les films imbéciles ne datent pas d'hier !
Meth-dudeSep 18, 2016
The movie was original and very entertaining, The well made violence and dark humour certainly helped this dark and funny movie to be even better.The acting was also really well done and the characters were amazing. Seven Psychopaths isThe movie was original and very entertaining, The well made violence and dark humour certainly helped this dark and funny movie to be even better.The acting was also really well done and the characters were amazing. Seven Psychopaths is definitely a movie you should not miss. Expand
JonDocAug 11, 2016
Like a modern day Roald Doahl, Martin McDonagh celebrates the darker side of human nature. 7 psychs is adazzlingly funny and poignant movie, full of gallows humour with numerous deft diversions and several wonderful vignettes- the parallelLike a modern day Roald Doahl, Martin McDonagh celebrates the darker side of human nature. 7 psychs is adazzlingly funny and poignant movie, full of gallows humour with numerous deft diversions and several wonderful vignettes- the parallel writers block story is sublime. I enjoyed this even better than In Bruges - a classic black comedy which rewards repeat viewing. McDonagh's dialogue as usual is snappy and multilayered. The credits twist is one of the most satisfying ever. Do yourself a favour and check out all his movies and plays. Expand
BradySmithMar 23, 2016
A very witty, hilarious, and occasionally sad comedy with a great cast. The plot is definitely meta, and it's sometimes nearly ingenious in the way story elements are woven together. And Sam Rockwell needs more roles. Yes, everyone in theA very witty, hilarious, and occasionally sad comedy with a great cast. The plot is definitely meta, and it's sometimes nearly ingenious in the way story elements are woven together. And Sam Rockwell needs more roles. Yes, everyone in the cast is great, but they always get work. Somebody give Rockwell some bigger roles, he's hilarious. The movie may be to grim and unconventional for some but it contains some extremely original fun and a boatload of memorable characters and scenes. Expand
BeingNickDohNov 19, 2015
I do see this movie as original, but, of course, there are borrowed elements from recently popular movies, and over played cliches... like the idea of serial killer killing, and Irish being drunkards...

However, there is one moment which

However, there is one moment which stands out among most films in that year... The ending where Walken narrates a scene for the movie the Colin Farrell's character is utterly breathtaking and makes the entire movie change what it is was... from a movie about a psycho-friend and a gang leader, with a movie writer being the focus point to... 'thinking what is in the mind of the people that do the things we could never see ourselves doing..'
FilmQueenOct 22, 2015
Funny and original! It pokes fun at many clichés. The plot also has many surprises.
(Do not let the poster distract you however, those seven characters are clearly not all psychopaths.)
PeterayOct 19, 2015
GARBAGE.

Unquestionably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Rambling nonsensical dialogue, too many actors playing empty characters who add nothing to this feeble attempt at a movie. Just a bunch of actors, tons of cursing, and
GARBAGE.

Just a bunch of actors, tons of cursing, and it just goes on and on... Really stupid. This makes ME want to be a screenwriter if even this crap was made into a movie.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Seven Psychopaths" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"Seven Psychopaths" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Witty and clever, "Seven Psychopaths" feels like an ode to those gritty and witty crime films of the 90s. It's like a Tarrantino film without the cameo. The characters are well designed and fleshed out despite being mostly bad people doing bad things. Highly entertaining and keeps your interest right up to the end.

The Bad: There is a stretch about three quarters of the way through that REALLY drags on. It is about a thirty minute stretch where there isn't much going on and revolves around three of the characters hiding in the desert. They sit and pretty much chat through this entire span and it wasn't all that interesting.
beingryanjudeSep 4, 2014
Another exciting turn for Martin McDonagh.... and yes, this one has it all. Near constant bombastic violence and plenty of laughs. Seven Psychopaths is a movie for writers and you'll see why.
chwJul 19, 2014
Seven Psychopaths was pretty good. Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Colin Farrell, and Sam Rockwell all acted well in this. And I'm surprised of Colin's accent in the film too, because I've never heard him use his normal Irish accent.
SpangleJul 18, 2014
Overall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love forOverall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances from an unhinged Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson. This one was not what I expected in the least and the way it was very much about the writing of this film (a la Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation") was pretty odd and unique. The self-referential stuff does get a bit tiresome towards the end, but the film remains a blast to watch thanks to its writing and acting. Overall, much of this one is clicking, but as I said, the self-referential stuff gets tiring and it kind of takes you out of this one by the end, but even then, it is a solid flick that is certainly worth a watch. In terms of Martin McDonagh, I preferred "In Bruges", but this one is a worthy follow-up and I look forward to whatever he comes up with next. Expand
iCronicJul 12, 2014
cast is Genius but i didn´t like it as much i expected it. it was not that good, i had really high expectations
MovieGuysJun 4, 2014
Seven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself andSeven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many things this movie got right. Expand
PodejrzanyKaktuMay 21, 2014
I watched this movie 4 times. It's great. It's one of my favourite videos. I was very happy after it, because i've never seen something like this, something good and funny at once. I LOVE IT!
joao1198pedroMay 15, 2014
This movie have a very interesting story about a man triyng to write his screenplay, the story and the actors playing the characters are very good, a good dark comedy.
MonkinsaneMay 12, 2014
Whilst quite entertaining, the plot really feels neglected and at times aimless. There's really only 4 "psychopaths" (in quotes since - to me only 1 of them really were psychotic.) - and I feel cheated. It was still enjoyable though, and theWhilst quite entertaining, the plot really feels neglected and at times aimless. There's really only 4 "psychopaths" (in quotes since - to me only 1 of them really were psychotic.) - and I feel cheated. It was still enjoyable though, and the characters are pretty interesting. The acting was top-notch, which makes the rest of the movie kinda a shame - they could have done so much better with such brilliant acting if they had a better script. Expand
cristyx66xMay 8, 2014
The BEST move my eyes could ever see.LOVE IT => the acting of the characters was just OUTSTANDING.....LOVE THIS MOVIE SOO MUCH !!!.this could be an great story for an MafiaIII Game :)
python2000Jan 1, 2014
From the same director as the cult black comedy In Bruges, a masterclass in comedy film making, comes this complex dark thriller Seven Psychopaths.
Colin Farrell is playing himself an alcoholic and slightly paranoid Irishman, the only difference between Marty and Ray from In Bruges is that he doesn't say a lot. An ensemble cast including Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Olga Kurylenko joins him and in in short hilarity ensues. From the reason they are hunting each other down to minor details like when a gun won't fire, everything is some kind of joke even if some attempts at humor are a bit hit and miss. Unlike the vastly superior In Bruges this appeals to a wide audience because of how slick and cool the backstories behind each psychopath are, specifically The Quaker who is one of the coolest movie characters ever. However just because most of the characters are killers does not mean you feel nothing for them, sure it's not like In Bruges where you are almost in tears for a child murdering hit man, but you definitely care for them which is not an easy thing to do. Some people have claimed that it mistakes violence for humor and isn't witty at all, but I argue that that never stopped Oscar winners like Tarantino and Scorsese.
A hugely enjoyable bleak (not black) comedy full of laughs, shootouts and strangely likable characters. It's not even in the same league as In Bruges but I loved it.
moonman1994Dec 21, 2013
Very funny and also very violent. If you like dark humor then you will like this film. The entire cast is perfect and it was very original. It wasn't perfect but all and all it was a good film.
himeegDec 19, 2013
This felt a lot like a Tarantino or Guy Ritchie rip off. It wasn't clever, didn't have enough plot twists, and had no real surprises. I enjoyed both Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken, but the rest of the actors were just kind of there andThis felt a lot like a Tarantino or Guy Ritchie rip off. It wasn't clever, didn't have enough plot twists, and had no real surprises. I enjoyed both Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken, but the rest of the actors were just kind of there and didn't do much for me. Overall, not a bad movie, but neither is it a great one. Expand
ToffenuffNov 21, 2013
Surprisingly good. Very intriguing and interesting premise and plot. So meta! Definitely a little strange at times. The acting is superb along with the dialogue. Funny, off-beat, and at times violent, this was more entertaining than I thoughtSurprisingly good. Very intriguing and interesting premise and plot. So meta! Definitely a little strange at times. The acting is superb along with the dialogue. Funny, off-beat, and at times violent, this was more entertaining than I thought it would be. Expand
StaticSpineNov 3, 2013
This is a black/criminal comedy, pretty bloody I must say. It includes a whole bunch of awesome actors. The story is interesting and original. There are several characters with their own stories and they merge into one plot, I won't spoil anyThis is a black/criminal comedy, pretty bloody I must say. It includes a whole bunch of awesome actors. The story is interesting and original. There are several characters with their own stories and they merge into one plot, I won't spoil any of them. Overall, this one is advised to everyone who likes really good movies. Expand
StevenFNov 1, 2013
Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty FarananInspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write, he has the title at the top of the page, the same as the real film, but not much else. He ends up getting quite a bit more than he bargained for when is loose cannon of a friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), decides to put an ad in the paper reaching out for actual psychopaths, its dry and believable approach can only come from the man behind ‘In Bruges’ and ‘The Guard’, Martin McDonagh makes films that are soaked in their own awareness and deep characters. We immediately see this in the opening scene involving two hit men clearly waiting on their target, oblivious to the man in a red mask approaching them from behind, and in turn execute them, moments like this sum up the layers of surprise and edginess of the film, yet also not taking itself seriously. In the midst of Marty writing about psychopaths, or trying to, there is a serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, the same man we meet at the beginning, his calling card being the Jack of Diamonds, he seems like a vigilante. Billy, meanwhile, spends his days kidnapping the dogs of rich people and collecting the reward with the help of Hans (Christopher Walken). He has his own past and own problems with his wife recovering from cancer, but caught in the middle of the wrong dog to kidnap, the one of gangster Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). We are introduced to each psychopath as their stories are revealed, the stories being played out as imaginary or as flashbacks, many being subtle bows to previous Hollywood films that employ the same scenarios, some of the quips seem to poke fun at themselves, but it also brings out quite an interesting and even heartwarming story, Walken in particular bringing a subtle yet effective tone to his role, some of this seems improvised, which is definitely a good thing.
The scenes with the three leads of Farrell, Rockwell and Walken, seamlessly combine silliness with brilliance as they attempt to come up with the ending for the film, but each time the film seems to go one way, it definitely can go other to surprise us, it has comedy, cruelty and camaraderie rolled into one well scripted package, which makes for a film that has the brass and talent to back itself up.
TheQuietGamerOct 14, 2013
Not funny or really interesting. I honestly fail to see what the point of this movie is. It just seems to be violent for the sake of being violent. I started off interested in the movie even though it was dull, but after a while I justNot funny or really interesting. I honestly fail to see what the point of this movie is. It just seems to be violent for the sake of being violent. I started off interested in the movie even though it was dull, but after a while I just stopped caring. The cast gives a great performance but the writing falls flat. It's kind of a dud and I don't recommend it. There are better ways to spend your time. Expand
ziozziOct 2, 2013
Good actors, good picture, good violence, terrible screenplay that makes all the rest worthless.
And to compare this to any of Tarantino movies is just a crime, it means someone does´t get Tarantino at all. Tarantino doesn´t make B-movies with good actors, he makes parodies of B-movies with good actors and inteligent screenplays. This one is just a bad puffed up B-movie. I still can´t believe I lost 110 minutes of my life watching this. If you're over 16, dont waste your time...
FranzHcriticAug 28, 2013
Surprisingly interesting. Though it droned on for some time. I liked the people, though. Sam Rockwell being the breakout in that movie. His unpredictable character sets the main story for it's start. If I were to see it again it would beSurprisingly interesting. Though it droned on for some time. I liked the people, though. Sam Rockwell being the breakout in that movie. His unpredictable character sets the main story for it's start. If I were to see it again it would be because of him. Expand
RoeylAug 18, 2013
I laughed once. It was when Farrell's character proposes that the rest of his movie would just be the psychopaths talking to each other and then his friend replies "WTF, We're making French movies now?". I laughed because I'm French and itI laughed once. It was when Farrell's character proposes that the rest of his movie would just be the psychopaths talking to each other and then his friend replies "WTF, We're making French movies now?". I laughed because I'm French and it is how I feel about most of my country's movies. The rest just... sucked, really really sucked. Is it my sense of humor? Or do I lack the cultural background to enjoy this comedy? The later seems unlikely since I've been in North America for over a year. Either way I didn't find this movie funny, in any way. Expand
Compi24Jul 12, 2013
Like traditional Martin McDonagh fare, it may not be as comedic as its trailers and TV spots suggest, but that in no way means it is a bad film. "Seven Psychopaths" is a richly dramedic trip with frighteningly irresistible characters and aLike traditional Martin McDonagh fare, it may not be as comedic as its trailers and TV spots suggest, but that in no way means it is a bad film. "Seven Psychopaths" is a richly dramedic trip with frighteningly irresistible characters and a healthy amount of powerful thematic elements. Expand