6.9

1. Jun 4, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many thingsSeven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many things this movie got right. Expand
  2. Sep 4, 2014
    Another exciting turn for Martin McDonagh.... and yes, this one has it all. Near constant bombastic violence and plenty of laughs. Seven Psychopaths is a movie for writers and you'll see why.
  3. Jul 12, 2013
    Like traditional Martin McDonagh fare, it may not be as comedic as its trailers and TV spots suggest, but that in no way means it is a bad film. "Seven Psychopaths" is a richly dramedic trip with frighteningly irresistible characters and a healthy amount of powerful thematic elements.
  4. Nov 5, 2012
    What a crazy fun ride Martin McDonaugh's Seven Psychopaths is. The originality and creativity of it put a smile on my face that never left for 110 minutes.
  5. Jul 18, 2014
    Overall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances fromOverall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances from an unhinged Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson. This one was not what I expected in the least and the way it was very much about the writing of this film (a la Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation") was pretty odd and unique. The self-referential stuff does get a bit tiresome towards the end, but the film remains a blast to watch thanks to its writing and acting. Overall, much of this one is clicking, but as I said, the self-referential stuff gets tiring and it kind of takes you out of this one by the end, but even then, it is a solid flick that is certainly worth a watch. In terms of Martin McDonagh, I preferred "In Bruges", but this one is a worthy follow-up and I look forward to whatever he comes up with next. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2013
    This film was cool. Sam Rockwell is the stand out performance, but Farrell, Harrelson, and Walken give good performances as well. Martin McDonagh shows that In Bruges wasn't a fluke.
  7. Aug 28, 2013
    Surprisingly interesting. Though it droned on for some time. I liked the people, though. Sam Rockwell being the breakout in that movie. His unpredictable character sets the main story for it's start. If I were to see it again it would be because of him.
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write,Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write, he has the title at the top of the page, the same as the real film, but not much else. He ends up getting quite a bit more than he bargained for when is loose cannon of a friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), decides to put an ad in the paper reaching out for actual psychopaths, its dry and believable approach can only come from the man behind ‘In Bruges’ and ‘The Guard’, Martin McDonagh makes films that are soaked in their own awareness and deep characters. We immediately see this in the opening scene involving two hit men clearly waiting on their target, oblivious to the man in a red mask approaching them from behind, and in turn execute them, moments like this sum up the layers of surprise and edginess of the film, yet also not taking itself seriously. In the midst of Marty writing about psychopaths, or trying to, there is a serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, the same man we meet at the beginning, his calling card being the Jack of Diamonds, he seems like a vigilante. Billy, meanwhile, spends his days kidnapping the dogs of rich people and collecting the reward with the help of Hans (Christopher Walken). He has his own past and own problems with his wife recovering from cancer, but caught in the middle of the wrong dog to kidnap, the one of gangster Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). We are introduced to each psychopath as their stories are revealed, the stories being played out as imaginary or as flashbacks, many being subtle bows to previous Hollywood films that employ the same scenarios, some of the quips seem to poke fun at themselves, but it also brings out quite an interesting and even heartwarming story, Walken in particular bringing a subtle yet effective tone to his role, some of this seems improvised, which is definitely a good thing.
    The scenes with the three leads of Farrell, Rockwell and Walken, seamlessly combine silliness with brilliance as they attempt to come up with the ending for the film, but each time the film seems to go one way, it definitely can go other to surprise us, it has comedy, cruelty and camaraderie rolled into one well scripted package, which makes for a film that has the brass and talent to back itself up.
  9. Mar 3, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths was a very interesting movie and truly unique. The cast was absolutely fantastic. Colin Farrell is a very underrated actor but Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson really made this movie worth watching. Rockwell was hilarious. The movie did drag quite so that's the main reason for the lower rating. I don't think this is a film everyone will enjoy,Seven Psychopaths was a very interesting movie and truly unique. The cast was absolutely fantastic. Colin Farrell is a very underrated actor but Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson really made this movie worth watching. Rockwell was hilarious. The movie did drag quite so that's the main reason for the lower rating. I don't think this is a film everyone will enjoy, however. There's a substantial amount of vulgarity and violence so some people will certainly be put off by that. Expand
  10. Nov 13, 2014
    "Seven Psychopaths" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Witty and clever, "Seven Psychopaths" feels like an ode to those gritty and witty crime films of the 90s. It's like a Tarrantino film without the cameo. The characters are well designed and fleshed out despite being mostly bad people doing bad things. Highly entertaining and keeps your interest right up to the end.
    "Seven Psychopaths" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Bad: There is a stretch about three quarters of the way through that REALLY drags on. It is about a thirty minute stretch where there isn't much going on and revolves around three of the characters hiding in the desert. They sit and pretty much chat through this entire span and it wasn't all that interesting.
  11. Oct 15, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is one of the most interesting and funny movies of this year. The development of the movie is really smart, all the movie have funny scenes. The performances of the cast, wow are awesome. The screenplay is interesting. Seven Psychopaths is one of the most funny movies of this year.
  12. Feb 11, 2013
    even after reading the reviews about this movie I still really didn't know what to expect. As it is hard to describe, and thus a hard screen play to write (I would guess). An alcoholic writer is trying to write a movie about 7 psychopaths, but doesn't have all the characters. He eventually learns some of his closest friends are psychopaths and uses them and others but yet the movie tumbleseven after reading the reviews about this movie I still really didn't know what to expect. As it is hard to describe, and thus a hard screen play to write (I would guess). An alcoholic writer is trying to write a movie about 7 psychopaths, but doesn't have all the characters. He eventually learns some of his closest friends are psychopaths and uses them and others but yet the movie tumbles into what the alcoholic writer is writing. Does that make sense....no. I know, but worth a watch I think. The plot a bit meandering but bouts of humor to offset that. Walken is classic and even Colin Ferrel is tolerable. Expand
  13. chw
    Jul 19, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths was pretty good. Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Colin Farrell, and Sam Rockwell all acted well in this. And I'm surprised of Colin's accent in the film too, because I've never heard him use his normal Irish accent.
  14. Jan 20, 2013
    McDonagh's latest film, "Seven Psychopaths," looks to be another over those satirical and incredibly violent action movies on the surface, but underneath it all is a surprisingly moving story about friendship. Some will say that using violence to tell a story like this is utterly hypocritical, but they are clearly not aware of McDonagh's plays, and they probably haven't even seen hisMcDonagh's latest film, "Seven Psychopaths," looks to be another over those satirical and incredibly violent action movies on the surface, but underneath it all is a surprisingly moving story about friendship. Some will say that using violence to tell a story like this is utterly hypocritical, but they are clearly not aware of McDonagh's plays, and they probably haven't even seen his previous movie, "In Bruges." All those works do have a high level of blood and violence in them, but they are not simply designed to shock people. McDonagh instead uses those elements to get at a deeper truth about life and the people closest to us, and this is not always apparent to those who view his work from a distance.
    An alcoholic writer with limited imagination, Marty (Colin Farrell) spends more time slumming with hyper pal Billy (Sam Rockwell) than he does tending to his own professional woes. Stuck trying to pen a screenplay called "Seven Psychopaths", Marty finds himself caught up in Billy's mess, when the latter and his associate Hans (Christopher Walken) are fingered for kidnapping the dog of ruthless mobster Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Forced to flee with the pooch in tow, Marty finds a surprising amount of inspiration in being hunted, especially given that his company, Hans and Billy, may themselves also be psychopaths. The entire film is centered around the kidnapping of Bonny, a shih-tzu belonging to chief mobster Charlie (Woody Harrelson), and here's where all hell breaks loose. The violent nature of Charlie, usually involving shooting anyone he encounters without remorse trails the trio of Marty, Billy and Hans, inflicting collateral damage as he gets closer to retrieving his dog. The conversations between characters are in rapid fire, containing a wealth of information, anecdotes, and heavy on black comedy.
    The cast is rich in recognizable names, and that transfers smoothly into the quality of acting. This time Colin Farrell is the straight man for McDonagh (he was the opposite in "In Bruges") and it's just the performance the Irishman needed to deliver after the summer's lethargic "Total Recall" rehash. Rockwell and Walken are of tremendous value as the canine thieves, Walken bringing his turn down to a Zen whisper, while Rockwell is entertaining as hyperactively playful, despite his murderous tendencies lying just below the surface. Where " Seven Psychopaths" begins to unravel and lose it's way is in the third act. For the first two acts, the film is wild, exhilarating and just plain fun. The last act slows down and the tone of the film is thrown off entirely, and rather suddenly, the film ventures out of dark comedy and into the realm of something else entirely. Sure, some of the dry wit still remains - but that is about it. It irrevocably changes the film, and ultimately turns what could have been a great film into "provides some laughs and worth checking out". Shortly after the film begins and Farrell begins working on the screenplay, and it becomes very clear that almost every line will refer to a later theme or event. It is ingenious at first, much like most satires are. But its amusement wears thin about halfway into the film, and by the third act my intrest and attention diminishes as it stumbles into a finale that feels unsatisfying. Great cast, worth checking out and entertaining enough if one can stomach the relentless carnage.
  15. Apr 5, 2013
    A smarter movie than many would give it credit. The second half got even better. Felt surreal and non serious at times though, so I was at a loss about whether to take it seriously or not. The ending, which I won't spoil here, got under my skin. The acting was quite sufficient. Rockwell should have gotten some recognition for his portrayal of Billy. The movie should have been nominated forA smarter movie than many would give it credit. The second half got even better. Felt surreal and non serious at times though, so I was at a loss about whether to take it seriously or not. The ending, which I won't spoil here, got under my skin. The acting was quite sufficient. Rockwell should have gotten some recognition for his portrayal of Billy. The movie should have been nominated for Original Screenplay at least. Expand
  16. Oct 17, 2012
    I don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, ifI don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, if you love violent comedies then you'll love Seven Psychopaths, enough said. This is a must see. 10/10 Expand
  17. Nov 16, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths delivers weird but fun experience. It was remind me bit experience when was watching Cabin In The Woods. Movie writing at its best? You can name it but it wasn't really work to me.
  18. Nov 3, 2013
    This is a black/criminal comedy, pretty bloody I must say. It includes a whole bunch of awesome actors. The story is interesting and original. There are several characters with their own stories and they merge into one plot, I won't spoil any of them. Overall, this one is advised to everyone who likes really good movies.
  19. BKM
    Mar 4, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths is a lot of fun, even if it is decidedly incoherent and pointless. The entire cast has a blast riffing ton crime film cliches and winking self referentially at the proceedings. Bonus points for the inclusion of Tom Waits who deserves his very own psychopath movie.
  20. Dec 21, 2013
    Very funny and also very violent. If you like dark humor then you will like this film. The entire cast is perfect and it was very original. It wasn't perfect but all and all it was a good film.
  21. Mar 18, 2013
    One of the most interesting films of 2012. Great script. Bizarre and full of hilarious and awkward moments. An amazing cast. Everybody is great in the film, Walken being probably the standout. Although my preferences are in Colin Farrel. He is a really great actor and in this film he does what I like the most from him: playing sensible and vulnerable. Love that every character on the filmOne of the most interesting films of 2012. Great script. Bizarre and full of hilarious and awkward moments. An amazing cast. Everybody is great in the film, Walken being probably the standout. Although my preferences are in Colin Farrel. He is a really great actor and in this film he does what I like the most from him: playing sensible and vulnerable. Love that every character on the film loves dogs. It´s definitely different and so much needed in this world dominated by brainless masses. At some points it drags a little bit and that is why I am not giving it a 8 or a 9. Expand
  22. Feb 6, 2013
    “A person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behaviour.” That’s the definition of the word of psychopath from Oxford Dictionary. Thiz movie comes from the Directors of “In Bruges” (2008) Martin McDonagh. McDonagh is the kind of Director who can make an effective black comedy with roller coaster storyline and interesting characters. He also shows“A person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behaviour.” That’s the definition of the word of psychopath from Oxford Dictionary. Thiz movie comes from the Directors of “In Bruges” (2008) Martin McDonagh. McDonagh is the kind of Director who can make an effective black comedy with roller coaster storyline and interesting characters. He also shows promising signs of becoming one of the cult movie Directors. The story revolves around a psychopathic screenwriter (Colin Farrell) whose seemingly nice girlfriend is a psychopath (Abbie Cornish), makes friends with a psychopathic dog kidnapper (Sam Rockwell) and his psychopathic assistant (Christopher Walken) who unfortunately stole a shih tzu which belongs to a psychopathic gangster (Woody Harrelson) whose unfaithful girlfriend is also a psychopath (Olga Kurylenko). Meanwhile it’s also about a mysterious psychopath (Tom Waits) who carries a white bunny all the time. Well, I just used the word “psychopath” so many times. If you feel confused, it may be true. The first 30 minutes of the movie will probably make you confused. If you feel it’s kind of weird, yes, the movie is very weird and comedic as well. The dialogue is interesting and alive. Everything just flows to the right direction. And I almost feel like there is a time when thiz movie criticizes itself. The three main characters are amazing. Let’s start with Colin Farrell. Farrell depicts an alcoholic screenwriter who looks like a peace lover but sometimes looks more like a coward in many situations. It’s great to see Colin Farrell can bring a different kind of character. And the next one is Sam Rockwell who rocks pretty well. Rockwell’s character is the one who sets fire in thiz field of gasoline. He looks confident and believable. People can hate his character but surely will love his performance. Personally, Sam Rockwell’s performance is the best performance in thiz movie. Last but not least, it’s Christopher Walken. Walken goes back to his roots, bringing an eccentric character, it simply reminds me what he is good at, just like the old times when he triumphed in “True Romance” (1993), “Last Man Standing” (1996) or “Kill the Irishman” (2011). Thiz movie just made me realize that all thiz time, most of my favorite movies has psychopathic characters in them, such as “Pulp Fiction” (1994), “Fight Club” (1999), “Trainspotting” (1996), “True Romance” (1993), “Natural Born Killers” (1994) and many more. Just because we like movies about psychopaths doesn’t mean we are also psychopaths, right? Or are we?

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  23. Jan 1, 2014
    From the same director as the cult black comedy In Bruges, a masterclass in comedy film making, comes this complex dark thriller Seven Psychopaths.
    Colin Farrell is playing himself an alcoholic and slightly paranoid Irishman, the only difference between Marty and Ray from In Bruges is that he doesn't say a lot. An ensemble cast including Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Olga Kurylenko joins him and in in short hilarity ensues. From the reason they are hunting each other down to minor details like when a gun won't fire, everything is some kind of joke even if some attempts at humor are a bit hit and miss. Unlike the vastly superior In Bruges this appeals to a wide audience because of how slick and cool the backstories behind each psychopath are, specifically The Quaker who is one of the coolest movie characters ever. However just because most of the characters are killers does not mean you feel nothing for them, sure it's not like In Bruges where you are almost in tears for a child murdering hit man, but you definitely care for them which is not an easy thing to do. Some people have claimed that it mistakes violence for humor and isn't witty at all, but I argue that that never stopped Oscar winners like Tarantino and Scorsese.
    A hugely enjoyable bleak (not black) comedy full of laughs, shootouts and strangely likable characters. It's not even in the same league as In Bruges but I loved it.
  24. May 15, 2014
    This movie have a very interesting story about a man triyng to write his screenplay, the story and the actors playing the characters are very good, a good dark comedy.
  25. Nov 21, 2013
    Surprisingly good. Very intriguing and interesting premise and plot. So meta! Definitely a little strange at times. The acting is superb along with the dialogue. Funny, off-beat, and at times violent, this was more entertaining than I thought it would be.
  26. Oct 25, 2012
    The title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks andThe title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks and the arguments of a poststructuralist. If you think there are humorous possibilities in this, you'll like the film. If not, not. I liked it a lot (all the actors are in the know and in the vein), but it is a bit too long. Imagine Woody Allen remaking The Asphalt Jungle, and you've got it. Expand
  27. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim theStoryline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim the reward end up with Charlie's dog, and Charlie really loves this dog, so now they are in serious trouble. There are a superb bunch of characters in this movie that keep us very interested throughout.

Acting: I'm not really a Sam Rockwell fan but I've always loved his performance in 'The Green Mile' and in this he is awsome at playing the complex Billy. He is actually better in this than Bradley Cooper is in 'Silver Linings Playbook' but Bradley gets the Oscar nod. Colin Farrell was really good and played his scenes with a very similar delivery as with 'In Bruges' but this is not a bad thing because it is a Martin McDonagh film. Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken were also good but they never had to do anything out of the ordinary so while they were great we have seen them do this stuff before. The 4 woman in this, Abbie Cornish, Gabourey Sidibe, Helena Mattsson and Olga Kurylenko are all good actors and I've seen a lot of thier work so even though they aren't on screen much when they are you won't forget it. It was a nice touch using well known actors in small roles especially Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Pitt at the start of the movie.

Direction: Martin McDonagh wrote and directed this with his wicked sense of humour which I think is amazing. I enjoy his style and hope he never strays too far from it. He's had 2 out of 2 so far. Production: Martin McDonagh made this for $15 million which is the same money as 'In Bruges' but an even better cast. This was a sleek operation with decent special fx and make-up, sets, music and the script was the best thing in the movie. It was snappy, funny and inteligent. 15 mil for this cast and a killer of a script is pretty awsome if you ask me. Conclusion: This film was not perfect but I loved it can't wait for Martin McDonagh to bring out a new one. A funny and violent flik with the cast all using thier own accents (which helped).

Score: 8.5/10
  28. Jan 11, 2013
    Seven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The actingSeven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The acting in this movie is great, Sam Rockwell was very funny and the only scene starring Gabourey Sidibe is amazing. The script is one of the most original and funny things in 2012. Seven Psychopaths is a truly entertaining and smart film. Expand
  29. Jun 28, 2013
    Great, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacingGreat, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacing faltered once or twice. A negligible criticism to an otherwise stellar production. Expand
  30. Oct 20, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths had a clever premise, and then weaved a story within a story that was a lot of fun. Great cast, fun premise, and while gory, the gore is done in a comedic way, so it does not gross one out.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Enormously entertaining, endlessly quotable, perfectly cast and packed full of the richest acting you'll see from an ensemble cast all year, but the result is ever so slightly hollow.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Engagingly off-centre, like Charlie Kaufman taking down Quentin Tarantino, this sunbaked shaggy-dog story is a place-holder film for McDonagh, and often closer to chaos than it is to genius.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is the kind of movie that can lift someone who's had a crappy day out of a funk. It's an unstable mess filled with lunatic invention and bizarre nonsense, and some of it is so spontaneous that it's elating. [22 Oct. 2012, p.88]