7.4

1. Jan 31, 2013
    An unexpected delight! Loved the writing and the performances are top notch! Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell are standouts, Ends up being one of my favorite films of 2012!
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Overall bearable. Lots of boring talking with a fair number of wild scenes. Too much talking is the problem. The trailer was completely misleading and I was a little disappointed in the end, my expectations no where near met. OK movie, giving it a miss wouldn't hurt you, good for pasting time tho.
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    The acting is solid. Action keeps things interesting. A bit too long though, Would have been better if it were shorter. Didn't find it funny though. I really liked the sub plot though (the main character is a writer and he is using what is currently going on as a basis for his script), That was rather satisfying. Overall, I want to recommend it but I can't, I think it tried too much to be a comedy/drama mix when it should have picked one or the other. Expand
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim the reward end up with Charlie's dog, and Charlie really loves this dog, so now they are in serious trouble. There are a superb bunch of characters in this movie that keep us very interested throughout.

Acting: I'm not really a Sam Rockwell fan but I've always loved his performance in 'The Green Mile' and in this he is awsome at playing the complex Billy. He is actually better in this than Bradley Cooper is in 'Silver Linings Playbook' but Bradley gets the Oscar nod. Colin Farrell was really good and played his scenes with a very similar delivery as with 'In Bruges' but this is not a bad thing because it is a Martin McDonagh film. Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken were also good but they never had to do anything out of the ordinary so while they were great we have seen them do this stuff before. The 4 woman in this, Abbie Cornish, Gabourey Sidibe, Helena Mattsson and Olga Kurylenko are all good actors and I've seen a lot of thier work so even though they aren't on screen much when they are you won't forget it. It was a nice touch using well known actors in small roles especially Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Pitt at the start of the movie.

Direction: Martin McDonagh wrote and directed this with his wicked sense of humour which I think is amazing. I enjoy his style and hope he never strays too far from it. He's had 2 out of 2 so far. Production: Martin McDonagh made this for $15 million which is the same money as 'In Bruges' but an even better cast. This was a sleek operation with decent special fx and make-up, sets, music and the script was the best thing in the movie. It was snappy, funny and inteligent. 15 mil for this cast and a killer of a script is pretty awsome if you ask me. Conclusion: This film was not perfect but I loved it can't wait for Martin McDonagh to bring out a new one. A funny and violent flik with the cast all using thier own accents (which helped).

Score: 8.5/10
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    McDonagh's latest film, "Seven Psychopaths," looks to be another over those satirical and incredibly violent action movies on the surface, but underneath it all is a surprisingly moving story about friendship. Some will say that using violence to tell a story like this is utterly hypocritical, but they are clearly not aware of McDonagh's plays, and they probably haven't even seen his previous movie, "In Bruges." All those works do have a high level of blood and violence in them, but they are not simply designed to shock people. McDonagh instead uses those elements to get at a deeper truth about life and the people closest to us, and this is not always apparent to those who view his work from a distance.
    An alcoholic writer with limited imagination, Marty (Colin Farrell) spends more time slumming with hyper pal Billy (Sam Rockwell) than he does tending to his own professional woes. Stuck trying to pen a screenplay called "Seven Psychopaths", Marty finds himself caught up in Billy's mess, when the latter and his associate Hans (Christopher Walken) are fingered for kidnapping the dog of ruthless mobster Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Forced to flee with the pooch in tow, Marty finds a surprising amount of inspiration in being hunted, especially given that his company, Hans and Billy, may themselves also be psychopaths. The entire film is centered around the kidnapping of Bonny, a shih-tzu belonging to chief mobster Charlie (Woody Harrelson), and here's where all hell breaks loose. The violent nature of Charlie, usually involving shooting anyone he encounters without remorse trails the trio of Marty, Billy and Hans, inflicting collateral damage as he gets closer to retrieving his dog. The conversations between characters are in rapid fire, containing a wealth of information, anecdotes, and heavy on black comedy.
    The cast is rich in recognizable names, and that transfers smoothly into the quality of acting. This time Colin Farrell is the straight man for McDonagh (he was the opposite in "In Bruges") and it's just the performance the Irishman needed to deliver after the summer's lethargic "Total Recall" rehash. Rockwell and Walken are of tremendous value as the canine thieves, Walken bringing his turn down to a Zen whisper, while Rockwell is entertaining as hyperactively playful, despite his murderous tendencies lying just below the surface. Where " Seven Psychopaths" begins to unravel and lose it's way is in the third act. For the first two acts, the film is wild, exhilarating and just plain fun. The last act slows down and the tone of the film is thrown off entirely, and rather suddenly, the film ventures out of dark comedy and into the realm of something else entirely. Sure, some of the dry wit still remains - but that is about it. It irrevocably changes the film, and ultimately turns what could have been a great film into "provides some laughs and worth checking out". Shortly after the film begins and Farrell begins working on the screenplay, and it becomes very clear that almost every line will refer to a later theme or event. It is ingenious at first, much like most satires are. But its amusement wears thin about halfway into the film, and by the third act my intrest and attention diminishes as it stumbles into a finale that feels unsatisfying. Great cast, worth checking out and entertaining enough if one can stomach the relentless carnage.
  6. Jan 13, 2013
    Im not sure the people who gave this terrible movie a good metacritic score watched the same one I did. It felt like a budget Tarantino movie without the witty dialogue. Art impersonating real life....didnt Colin Farrell have a real life drinking problem? I didnt care about any of these characters and I just got the feeling that they all did this movie for the paycheck. Possibly the humor is in the dark receses of black humor...but I just didnt find this movie funny, redeeming or entertaining. Two hours of my life I will never see again.... Expand
  7. Jan 11, 2013
    Seven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The acting in this movie is great, Sam Rockwell was very funny and the only scene starring Gabourey Sidibe is amazing. The script is one of the most original and funny things in 2012. Seven Psychopaths is a truly entertaining and smart film. Expand
  8. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie can get very weird at parts, but all in all a very good movie. The film kept me very entertained throughout. Oh and one more thing. Sam Rockwell is a freakin genius!
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths has got to be one of year
  10. Jan 7, 2013
    This picture is nothing i have watched before. This movie entertains on many levels. It asks the question about whats normal and whats not. Who are the normal people who say this man is a psychopath and this man is not? Why does the audience like movies about psychopaths at all? Do we really think they are more interesting than the people we see on the street? Are we so thirsty to see violence? Is our life so boring, that we have to see people being brutally killed? This movie shows the psychopath in your self. Expand
  11. Dec 29, 2012
    I wanted to like this more but while it has some fun characters with a few good scenes it lacks a real cohesive plot to bring it all together. Walken is great value along with Harrelson and Rockwell gives far more to a role which I felt lacked thought. Its fun but never really grabs you. Also for a black comedy it lacks really quotable material - not a crime in itself, but something I noticed afterwards. Worth a look but dont expect too much. Expand
  12. Dec 1, 2012
    I think this movie will be one of my guiltly pleasures from now on. It's suble dark comedy can reach almost any audience member, unless they have no sense of humor. The characters are well developed in their own unique way. This movie really comes together at the end and gives us a look into the unexpected Hollywood format. Altogether this movie is a fun viewing!
  13. Nov 26, 2012
    I got a kick out of this movie! Very well-scripted, and I never could guess what was going to happen next. This movie left me with a deep sense of satisfaction, plot points that opened in the beginning found the perfect closure in the movie's climax. Martin McDonagh's generous gift to movie audiences this fall, sealed together with a pretty bow.
  14. Nov 16, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths delivers weird but fun experience. It was remind me bit experience when was watching Cabin In The Woods. Movie writing at its best? You can name it but it wasn't really work to me.
  15. Nov 5, 2012
    What a crazy fun ride Martin McDonaugh's Seven Psychopaths is. The originality and creativity of it put a smile on my face that never left for 110 minutes.
  16. Oct 25, 2012
    The title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks and the arguments of a poststructuralist. If you think there are humorous possibilities in this, you'll like the film. If not, not. I liked it a lot (all the actors are in the know and in the vein), but it is a bit too long. Imagine Woody Allen remaking The Asphalt Jungle, and you've got it. Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2012
    Martin McDonagh's "In Bruge" was a darkly funny comedy. This new effort lacks the comic spark, but it tries real hard. A screenwriter (Colin Farrell) gets entangled with wacky crooks when his friends (Sam Rockwell & Christopher Walken) kidnap a gangster
  18. Oct 20, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths had a clever premise, and then weaved a story within a story that was a lot of fun. Great cast, fun premise, and while gory, the gore is done in a comedic way, so it does not gross one out.
  19. Oct 20, 2012
    Having seen and loved "In Bruges" Seven Psychopaths was one of my most anticipated movies. I'm happy to say its everything I had hoped for and more. From the opening, this movie kicks off with a great start having a very Tarantino style beginning. With such an original and great screenplay you can't go wrong. We than get introduce to our seven psychopaths. The performances are great, Colin Farrell should stick to these small roles, more specifically comedic roles, before I saw In Bruges I disliked him as an actor none of his movies appealed to me. He works so well as the lead protagonist in this role. This is probably one of , if not the best Sam Rockwell performances. He has played this crazy character before but its more effective in this particular role. He is unpredictable, the funniest and the best psychopath of them all with out a doubt the star of this movie. Christopher Walken is at his best. If you just enjoy him in any role, you will love him in this. He plays the calm and wise religious man but very hysterical at times another scene stealing performance. Woody Harrelson is the enraged mob boss who will literally stop at nothing until he gets his little Sh-ih Tzu back. Tom Waits plays probably the most psychotic of them all. Everyone works fantastically well in this movie. I have not a single bad thing to say about them. The woman in the cast though, are basically eye candy. Martin McDonagh is one of the best up an coming Writer/Director. If he keeps this up one day he may be considered among the best script writers of our time. This movie does have elements of Pulp Fiction where everyone is just having random conversations that sometimes end up with people dying horrifically. Yes, there are multitudes of gore involved in the death scenes. Everything is so unpredictable with plenty of laughs and flawlessly made from both behind and in front of the camera. Seven Psychopaths is another "best of the year" and the funniest film I've seen so far in the year. Expand
  20. Oct 19, 2012
    This movie is indeed vicious drivel. It is nothing like the Trailer. Blood, guts, and gore. I feel cheated that I was expecting a comedy and was subjected to such trash. If you like the movie Trailer, you will not like the move.
  21. Oct 18, 2012
    The film is not devoid of VERY funny moments and terrific acting performances (Rockwell & Walken in particular are solid), but it's just overlong, bloated, and meandering. Several of the sequences are flat-out hilarious and creative, but they're strung together far too loosely. I can't figure out if it was re-written too often or not nearly enough. And yes, for the squeamish, it's very violent and gory - things I normally go for, especially the "Scanners" / "Wild at Heart" shot. There's a right way to see this film, but I don't think the theater is it. I can imagine the Brad Pitt character in True Romance getting baked watching this on his Betamax in his cramped little West LA apartment. [Disclosure: the website I work for is owned by the same parent company as CBS Films.] Expand
  22. Oct 17, 2012
    I don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, if you love violent comedies then you'll love Seven Psychopaths, enough said. This is a must see. 10/10 Expand
  23. Oct 16, 2012
    Some movies are difficult to review. This is one of them. The film is quirky and politically incorrect, which would normally mean I would love it. It is supposed to be a comedy, however, and I never laughed out loud. Not once. There were other people in the theater that were laughing so hard I thought they would split a gut. That's why you are going to see reviews that are all over the place. Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded but it just didn't seem that fresh and new or funny. The performances are good across the board. Christopher Walken in particular is noteworthy. The violence is graphic, so be prepared for that. In order for me to have liked it more it would have had to be better written like the Coen Brothers film it is striving to be. It's not in that league. Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is one of the most interesting and funny movies of this year. The development of the movie is really smart, all the movie have funny scenes. The performances of the cast, wow are awesome. The screenplay is interesting. Seven Psychopaths is one of the most funny movies of this year.
  25. Oct 14, 2012
    Great movie in every way. Charlie Kaufman meets Terintino. It is a great combination of clever plot lines, great characters, and cartoon violence to keep you laughing on the edge if your seat.
  26. Oct 12, 2012
    What an unexpected treat! Very unconventional, off-beat, hilarious. The performances are top notch and just fun to watch. (Christopher Walken is the man! And Sam Rockwell just kills it in this movie.) Actually, it's my favorite movie of the year so far.
  27. Oct 12, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is an OK film. Compare it to In Bruges and it becomes somewhat of a disappointment. It's highly reminiscent of something Tarantino would be behind. Also, don't expect an In Bruges performance from Farell. Rockwell seemed to be the guy worth getting excited for. It's no In Bruges -- not even close -- but go see it. You'll enjoy it.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Enormously entertaining, endlessly quotable, perfectly cast and packed full of the richest acting you'll see from an ensemble cast all year, but the result is ever so slightly hollow.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Engagingly off-centre, like Charlie Kaufman taking down Quentin Tarantino, this sunbaked shaggy-dog story is a place-holder film for McDonagh, and often closer to chaos than it is to genius.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is the kind of movie that can lift someone who's had a crappy day out of a funk. It's an unstable mess filled with lunatic invention and bizarre nonsense, and some of it is so spontaneous that it's elating. [22 Oct. 2012, p.88]