3.9

1. Feb 7, 2015
    Its not that bad guys lol. I think the story seemed interesting and jeff bridges is awesome as the Spook. I wish Jon Snow was in the movie longer. The CGI was cool I dont think it was HORRIBLE like you guys think and the person who I saw it with liked it alot as well.
  2. Mar 1, 2015
    At the beginning, the movie seems promising. But as the movie goes, the plot become weaker and weaker.

The CG is quite impressive. The monster seems real but: The plot is weak. Battles: Monster must roar at their face then only start attacking. Twice the giant bear and dragon. Story: How it goes on becoming more and more predictable. Useless boy + good teacher = super hero

The CG is quite impressive. The monster seems real but:

The plot is weak.

Battles: Monster must roar at their face then only start attacking.
    Twice the giant bear and dragon.

Story: How it goes on becoming more and more predictable. Useless boy + good teacher = super hero that can instant kill any bad guys

Realistic: leader of 1000 assassin but only bring 20 at most. what happen to the other 980?
  3. Mar 17, 2015
    Fantasy adventure films have always had their place amongst the realm of cinema, when I was young I loved fantasy adventure, films like: Conan, Krull, Beast Master and alike. These days though I feel as though everything that gets released in the genre are recreations of plots done to death and were done much better, sure the special effects in the 70’s and 80’s were nothing compared toFantasy adventure films have always had their place amongst the realm of cinema, when I was young I loved fantasy adventure, films like: Conan, Krull, Beast Master and alike. These days though I feel as though everything that gets released in the genre are recreations of plots done to death and were done much better, sure the special effects in the 70’s and 80’s were nothing compared to what they are today but that’s what made those films so great, those little special effects. These days CGI is king and a lot of the time is so over used that it leaves nothing for our imaginations to grasp hold of.
    Seventh Son is the story of Gregory the spook (one who hunts the supernatural) and his mission to destroy the Queen of the witches Mother Malkin set in the 18 century. After trapping Malkin years pass by and she remains in prison until the threat of a new blood moon looms, Malkin escapes her prison and takes off to cause havoc and reclaim her kingdom once more. Gregory and his newest apprentice Ben; the seventh son of a seventh son set about the task of stopping Malkin and protecting the world from the devastation she plans to bring…
    Sound familiar???
    It’s a story that has been told time and time again, set in all ages and in all places but especially medieval times where this is set once again. The stand out for the film and the reason you should see it though is for Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski, True Grit) who plays Mater Gregory, he has created a fantastic character in Gregory, everything from his voice to his movements is exciting to hear and see. Also helping the film out is Julianne Moore (Still Alice, Mockingjay pt 1) who plays Mother Malkin, she manages to bring an over the top possibility down to Earth and even a little humble, she has done a marvelous job with her character and even though she is the “bad guy” you can’t help but root for her in some places, and that’s about all the goodness the film has to offer. The other characters are annoying, the actors should be on an Australian soap opera, they were lifeless, plain and boring, they brought nothing to the screen but a presence, and I hate to say it; but I doubt if the actors were even replaced with A list celebrities their characters would have been any different. I feel all the effort was put into Jeff and Julianne and the CGI landscape and beasties. Ben Barnes (Chronicles of Narnia, Stardust) plays the son of the seventh son Tom Ward, Alicia Vikander (Anna Karenina, A Royal Affair) plays Alice, Olivia Williams (The Sixth Scent, Rushmore) plays Mam who does bring a little something more to her character at least.
    This is Sergey Bodrov’s first real English film he is really well known for his Russian films so I did expect a lot more from him, I have a feeling that perhaps the actors may have directed themselves in places as he sat back and took it all in. I was disappointed as I definitely expected more from the director of “Mongol” and “Nomad”. The CGI used was so extensive at times there was so much happening on the screen it was hard to make heads or tails of what was taking place, don’t get me wrong it was great, the dragon scenes in particular were legendary it was just a little messy is all. It seems to be CGI has taken over a lot of the substance a film can deliver when cheap thrills and special effects are used.
    Seventh Son isn’t worth rushing out to see, it is worth waiting to see on dvd at least but I wouldn’t be wasting my money at the cinemas. Being a fantasy adventure its appropriate for kids with only a few swears nothing they wouldn’t hear in the school yard on a daily basis anyway.
  4. Feb 11, 2015
    i loved this movie. i have no excuse, maybe it was Jeff Bridges voice which i cannot replicate but it worked for me. i usually trust the viewer reviews more than the critics for some reason. still, i thought this was better than Jupiter ascending, which i forgot the next day. i love scifi and fantasy and special effects. i cant say this was the greatest movie but i did just like it.
  5. Feb 6, 2015
    This movie is one of the most clichéd, unoriginal stories ever made in the history of cinema. An evil is going to destroy the world, but it has to wait for certain weather event to happen for its powers to be fully loaded; and there’s only one person that, for some stupid reason, can destroy it and save everything, but he needs a master because he is not yet ready to fight that evil. HowThis movie is one of the most clichéd, unoriginal stories ever made in the history of cinema. An evil is going to destroy the world, but it has to wait for certain weather event to happen for its powers to be fully loaded; and there’s only one person that, for some stupid reason, can destroy it and save everything, but he needs a master because he is not yet ready to fight that evil. How many times have we seen that before? It’s just so dumb, anything you can predict that is going to happen based on previous similar films, happens; there’s no one single unexpected twist, and there’s absolutely nothing new. The script is very laughable at. They don’t even bother in explaining why the main character is so special. The only reason they give to us is because he is the seventh son of a seventh son (and another stupid reason that I don’t want to spoil), and that’s it. I don’t even know what Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore and Djimon Hounsou were doing there, but it’s definitively bad for their curriculum.
    Until now, one of the worst movies of 2015. The only thing I can rescue from it is a very occasional sense of humor, and some cool action scenes (some were cool, another were really stupid). Nevertheless, don’t even bother watching this film, it’s a waste of time and money.
    Real score: 3.5
  6. Feb 7, 2015
    If you were going to see Seventh Son after reading The Last Apprentice, then don't. This move has almost nothing in common with the book other than similar names. One of the worst book adaptions I've seen yet.
  7. Feb 7, 2015
    I went to see this with my two daughters, one of whom read "The Spook's Apprentice," which was the basis for the movie. All of us liked it very much, including the daughter who read the book. In fact, she said it was the best movie she's seen in months, much better than the last two, where we made the mistake of trusting the "professional" critics, who rated them quite high. I simply doI went to see this with my two daughters, one of whom read "The Spook's Apprentice," which was the basis for the movie. All of us liked it very much, including the daughter who read the book. In fact, she said it was the best movie she's seen in months, much better than the last two, where we made the mistake of trusting the "professional" critics, who rated them quite high. I simply do not understand the bad user ratings, unless there is some attempt to appear sophisticated by aping the critics, who don't review movies with the same approach us average users do. I make my judgements based on whether the movie justified my admission fees. This movie did so. The special effects were, as is so common now, flawless. The acting was good, and the plotline explained what this user needed to know of the backstory. I give it a solid 8 out of 10 as a good action adventure romp that provides a good release from the cares and stress of daily life. I recommend keeping an open mind and giving this one a try. It's sure better than "Black Sea," which left me wanting to ask for a refund. Expand
  8. Feb 6, 2015
    Seventh Son has great action scenes and A list acting. But this boring, rushed book adaptation, cannot be saved, even by Jeff Bridges at his best. Seventh Son plays out like Lord Of a The Rings meets Gladiator. Director Sergei Bodrov, mixes with his elements, for a movie, not worth watching. I thought this movie would be different, but how much can you expect from book adaptations. SS is aSeventh Son has great action scenes and A list acting. But this boring, rushed book adaptation, cannot be saved, even by Jeff Bridges at his best. Seventh Son plays out like Lord Of a The Rings meets Gladiator. Director Sergei Bodrov, mixes with his elements, for a movie, not worth watching. I thought this movie would be different, but how much can you expect from book adaptations. SS is a wasted opportunity, Bodrov's vision of the book is clunky and flawed. Expand
  9. Feb 18, 2015
    Whatever potential this movie may have had was covered in excessive, repetitive and bad CG, a narrow clichéd story with completely uninteresting characters outside of Master Gregory and his apprentice (Who's name I cannot remember). I rolled my eyes so hard when the protagonist was talking about how he would "get out of there" and "make something of himself". Visions?? Really? HowWhatever potential this movie may have had was covered in excessive, repetitive and bad CG, a narrow clichéd story with completely uninteresting characters outside of Master Gregory and his apprentice (Who's name I cannot remember). I rolled my eyes so hard when the protagonist was talking about how he would "get out of there" and "make something of himself". Visions?? Really? How original, the protagonist has visions. Sigh, I know 3 of the characters names, Tusk, Mother Malkin, and Master Gregory. The rest are apparently unimportant. I left the theater with more questions than anything. Where do Gregory go after everything? Why did every witch burn away and showcase bad CG upon death? The movie wasn't all bad but there nothing really good and I laughed about twice. Only the young would find any enjoyment from this, assuming they haven't seen a million other movies with the same plot. Expand
  10. Feb 12, 2015
    I have seen lots of fantasy movies from The Lord of the Rings to Monty Python and the Holy Grail and let me tell you Seventh Son brings on a whole new experience. This movie brings light upon a new set of fantasy. It is about a boy named Tom Ward who is chosen to aid the spook because he is the seventh son of the seventh son and on that journey he must fight creatures sent by the evilI have seen lots of fantasy movies from The Lord of the Rings to Monty Python and the Holy Grail and let me tell you Seventh Son brings on a whole new experience. This movie brings light upon a new set of fantasy. It is about a boy named Tom Ward who is chosen to aid the spook because he is the seventh son of the seventh son and on that journey he must fight creatures sent by the evil witch that wishes to gain all this power from the blood moon. First off people can not go into the movie expecting Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings this is mainly because Seventh Son is its own thing. From I have seen in other reviews they did not understand the story for some reason, but I promise if you have half a brain you would fully understand. The reason I am rating this a 9 is mainly because through out the movie there was this character that I thought annoying but besides that everything was pretty darn awesome. The effects and action scenes were awesome. Also, from what I know it is supposed to be a book series so I will be very excited to see a sequel to this film. I do not know why this movie has been trashed on and I know this one review will not stop that but I promise who ever reads this if you are on actual fan of Fantasy or Action you will enjoy this movie, and I forgot to mention that I saw this movie in IMAX and was completely amazed at how amazing the movie was with the 3D and amazing sound system. So, if you find yourself at the movies and do not really know what to watch I highly suggest this movie, I say watch it in IMAX but if you do not have the money that is completely understandable, I hope my review helps in your final decision to watching the movie. Expand
  11. Feb 12, 2015
    From pathetical acting to pathetical screen writing to pathetical plot, Seventh Son is truly the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fantasy films. However I will give it points for the unintentional comedy.
  12. Mar 4, 2015
    I seemingly like this movie. Even though the plot is totally unoriginal, and the acting seems to be too cliched, the overall cinematographic technique is quite good, and there were moments that clicked for me. So, I still think it's a very decent movie.
  13. Apr 17, 2015
    What should have been the launchpad for a franchise dies on its feet with this truly terrible fantasy adventure. The seventh son of the title joins a knight in his quest to destroy an evil witch in a land of wizards and dragons. Sounds exciting but this turkey fails on almost every level, but especially in the casting of Jeff Bridges who gives the strangest performance you are likely toWhat should have been the launchpad for a franchise dies on its feet with this truly terrible fantasy adventure. The seventh son of the title joins a knight in his quest to destroy an evil witch in a land of wizards and dragons. Sounds exciting but this turkey fails on almost every level, but especially in the casting of Jeff Bridges who gives the strangest performance you are likely to see this year Expand
  14. May 17, 2015
    This less than enthralling fantasy film plays out like a mash-up of The Lord of the Rings and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters without any of the original splendor.
  15. Mar 12, 2015
    I think this movie needed more character background to understand why they were doing what they did. Of course, I just don't like movies that are one fight after another. I really liked the strong good women that broke up the evil, a needed respite.
  16. May 31, 2015
    Amazing sets. Amazing costumes. Decent acting.

Amazing sets. Amazing costumes. Decent acting.

However, the story goes in circles. The Merlin/Gandalf archetype is stale. The movie tries to fit as much of the book into 2 hours as possible. The fantasy genre needs a pg13 refresher. You cant watch Game of Thrones with under 18. It is too mature. Peter Jackson ad the LOTR franchise is successful because of the linear nature of the stories.

Movie story telling has to simplify to be entertaining. The Merlin from the Starz series Camelot was refreshing. Camelot as a series failed as too many episodes went nowhere. I watched an old Christopher Walken movie. Suicide Kings. A wizard with the characteristics of the casino Blackjack dealer that caused on.e character to lose all his money. Anything besides stale archetypes and too much fit into one film. Peter Jackson had 3 movies for each Tolkien book. Too many movies like Eragon and Seventh Son are lost in a circular motion giving audiences nothing new. Cliches offering the audience Dragons and well designed sets but little else.

Look at Rise of an Empire. Good movie but not as good as the first. Themistocles is pronounced Themistokles. Hollywood doesnt hit the mark when they try and produce the next blockbuster. In a 2 hour movie I want drama. The movies should be half travel and character development. Quests to achieve goals while learning to care about the heroes. Learning to hate or admire the villains. Half epic sequences and fast action. 6 is a generous rating. The effects were top notch. The circular nature of the story left me wanting Game of Thrones or Peter Jackson to do Tolkiens Silmarillion in multiple movies or as a HBO/Starz/TMC/Showtime masterpiece series.
  17. Feb 14, 2015
    THE.WORST.MOVIE.EVER.
    now i gave 1 don't be fooled I'm not giving to the movie, I'm giving it to Julianne Moore and that few minutes with Kit Harrington.
  18. Mar 31, 2015
    Overall I really disliked Seventh Son, it was so boring. It had a script of a film that I had seen a hundred times and it’s been done better before and it wasted a brilliant ensemble cast. How you have a film with Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges in and you don’t get a decent performance, I will never understand, and it is a sign of poor directing. The 3D was laughable and I thinkOverall I really disliked Seventh Son, it was so boring. It had a script of a film that I had seen a hundred times and it’s been done better before and it wasted a brilliant ensemble cast. How you have a film with Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges in and you don’t get a decent performance, I will never understand, and it is a sign of poor directing. The 3D was laughable and I think actually impeded the film I was watching and the action sequences were really varied in quality. It’s a very bland, very forgettable film and if I haven’t forgotten about most of it in a week, I will be amazed!! I won’t be surprised if this film turns up in my worst films of 2015 list, although it is way too early to speculate on that. The ending of the film eludes to this becoming a franchise PLEASE NO! Expand
  19. Feb 11, 2015
    "Seventh Son" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore try REALLY hard to carry the film ... with mixed results. Regardless, they each had a few solid scenes. Ben Barnes was saddled with a poor script and awful dialogue, but made the most of it. Some of the special effects were very good. The Bad: Bridges wasn't bad, but he seemed to be playing a
    "Seventh Son" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: Bridges wasn't bad, but he seemed to be playing a character that we've seen him play before. His odd choice of accent and drawl was hard to ignore. Moore was also pretty good, but at times was a little too over-the-top. The rest of the cast was completely forgettable and Alicia Vikander (who played the main character's love interest) was outright terrible. She and Barnes had zero chemistry, which is something the film revolved around. While the effects were good at times, other times it comes across as cartoony and fake. Not among the worst films that I have seen, but I probably won't remember that I saw it a few weeks from now.
  20. Mar 17, 2015
    I can't think of anything but weak. Despite an interesting plot and an amazing Jeff Bridges, Seventh Son never connects with us for real. Tom is not likeable enough as a hero, his romance with Alice is not convincing and the end is quite disappointing. Special effects are great, we have electrifying action scenes but they aren't enough to please the audience. You can watch it and have someI can't think of anything but weak. Despite an interesting plot and an amazing Jeff Bridges, Seventh Son never connects with us for real. Tom is not likeable enough as a hero, his romance with Alice is not convincing and the end is quite disappointing. Special effects are great, we have electrifying action scenes but they aren't enough to please the audience. You can watch it and have some fun, laugh a little bit, of course, but this movie won't get your love. Expand
  21. Feb 8, 2015
    The film has so many flaws. The misuse of A-list actors is disheartening, the dialogue is like that of a Saturday morning cartoon, and the accents are equal parts ridiculous and inconsistent. And it seemed as if the visuals were out of focus. Also, when someone goes flying into a pillar at 80 mph, they should be dead, or at the very least, seriously injured. Also, I wish Kit Harington wasThe film has so many flaws. The misuse of A-list actors is disheartening, the dialogue is like that of a Saturday morning cartoon, and the accents are equal parts ridiculous and inconsistent. And it seemed as if the visuals were out of focus. Also, when someone goes flying into a pillar at 80 mph, they should be dead, or at the very least, seriously injured. Also, I wish Kit Harington was in the film longer. Also. There isn't a whole lot of character development. The film also has some good features though. Cool CGI and great action. Cool villains, and a plot that has potential. But in the end, the film was pretty bad. Expand
  22. Mar 23, 2015
    Unflowing plot, lack of introduction, no certain climax, unclear events everywhere.in the end it seems like it just strolling around.
    the visual effects seems to be "unfinished" or rushed. There are still many rough effects that should be rendered smoother.
    in the end, it tastes like nothing.
  23. Apr 5, 2015
    It's a cliche movie and I'm pretty sure that everyone has already watched a movie like this one before: magic, witches, fantasy... the only good thing that I think about this is the visual effects, it was very good, but Seventh Son is just another fish on the fantasy and magic medieval stories ocean.
  24. Mar 21, 2015
    What to say about this movie... It is a good way to spend an afternoon.
    I've read the Wardstone Chronicles and has such, I know how much of the great world created by Joseph Delaney was left behind. And the full extent of the loss, represented by the Seventy Son, almost comes off has being an insult to the books.
    But because this movie was not made to have sequels. When I went to watch
    What to say about this movie... It is a good way to spend an afternoon.
    But because this movie was not made to have sequels. When I went to watch it, I was already expecting a totally different world, and has such, I was able to have a good time watching this movie.
    It's nothing that stands out, and even the brilliant performance of Jeff Bridges and the somewhat performance of Julianne Moore, the movie simply fails to achieve any meaningful height.
    Simple story, good special effects, and a somewhat unbalanced cast, could not produce more, no matter who directed and produced this movie.
    All in all it was good, not great, not awesome. Just good.

There was one detail above all that I loved. To see Jeff Bridges character John Gregory, live to pass on the mantle of spook to his apprentice and be able to retire, was indeed a beautiful touch. The one I'd loved to have seen at the end of the Warstone Chronicles.
  25. Apr 1, 2015
    Fell Asleep...................................................................................................................................................
  26. May 24, 2015
    Well I was not happy with this movie! The book was so amazing and clever but the movie didn't follow it he was a 12 year old boy and Alice ended up being his friend not. Girlfriend! The special effects were good but that's it!

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Mar 26, 2015
    Seventh Son would hardly be the first film to use "strong female characters" as a means of waving its misogyny under the radar, but it’s seldom carried off as depressingly as this.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Mar 23, 2015
    A swollen budget, a mini-Big Lewbowski reunion, and top-notch digital effects fail to enliven proceedings in yet another ho-hum dragon chaser based on a YA novel.
  3. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Mar 23, 2015
    This swords-and-sorcery throwback has little imagination on display, instead doubling down on computer-generated flair to pass the time.