6.2

1. ALF
    Apr 3, 2011
    Maybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch themMaybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch them again, but for this particular film (as with the Royal Tenebaums and The Life Aquatic) I do not need to. Thankfully I bought this as a cheap DVD and plan to donate it to a library or someone who also will probably pass it on when they have seen it. Expand
  2. AW
    May 27, 2008
    Not my type of movie, boring and unappealing (to me).
  3. BlakeM.
    May 28, 2008
    This is a fabulous movie and fans of the series will love it! Ignore all the haters! They're just ignorant!
  4. IndianaJones
    May 29, 2008
    I love the way carrie goe into town, and bravely conducts her business. she's one of the best in the game performing the skill of conversing and intercoursing...did i say intercoursing? i mean, she's really good at just being carrie. keep on woman!
  5. MariaM.
    May 29, 2008
    Saw it Tuesday in NY at the premiere. Don't know what it's like if you don't know the series, but I'm a fan, and I thought it rocked. Only quibble, Jennifer Hudson seemed a little uncomfortable. Other than that, tremendously satisfying.
  6. JeffW.
    May 29, 2008
    Worse than the show. Let me say that once more for emphasis: Worse. Than. The. Show. Who says Hollywood can't do the impossible?
  7. PatK
    May 29, 2008
    I prefer my comedies funny, not shrill.
    May 29, 2008
    Just saw a sneak peak. VERY dissappointing. Seemed to only be an excuse for the actresses to parade around in expensive clothes furthering the divide between SATC and reality.
  9. CraigA.
    May 30, 2008
    That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as exciting as watching your girlfriend buy shoes (which it kind of is...). I was left with two questions: 1) How on Earth can the producers of this dreck think that watching people buy $50,000 rings is entertainment? 2) How on Earth did Jennifer Hudson win an Oscar when she may be the single worst actress the US has ever produced? Expand
  10. FranciscoG.
    May 30, 2008
    This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Too long and too boring! My wife made me see it with her and even she regrets seeing it.
  11. Kevin
    May 30, 2008
    Saw it last night at the midnight show it was fantastic...these reviewers suck! The men who didnt like it must hate women and the women who didnt like it need a date!
  12. RK
    May 30, 2008
    If you were a fan of the show, you are probably going to enjoy the movie. It's a bit frenetic in its pace, yet the nearly 2 1/2 hours in length make it feel like it drags on. The plot is pretty generic and the writing isn't spectacular, but seeing this movie is like going to a High School reunion -- you go to reminisce and watch the references back to the series.
  13. JamesK.
    May 30, 2008
    Why are there so many women reviewing this film? Strange thing to see that the top of the list is dominated by women reviewers, the bottom are mainly men.
  14. StacyH.
    May 30, 2008
    I was so afraid it wouldn't be very good, but it was better than I hoped. Surprisingly deep, dark and sweet and tender. Extremely satsfying. The girls hit one out of the park.
  15. MartinM
    May 30, 2008
    Fans of the series should not mind the avg reviews - I would probably not rate it as high as a stand alone but it doesn't have to. The moods, the settings, the characters - feel right - I'm satisfied.
  16. RudyS.
    May 30, 2008
    It's just bad. Save your money and watch the TV show.
  17. Enrique
    Moronic piece of crap!
  18. SteveC.
    May 30, 2008
    Loved it, loved it. It was like visiting old friends again..very entertaining, and I was glad it was over 2 hours long!
  19. Jing
    May 30, 2008
    It's the closure I've been waiting for. The whole story is just too honest for some people to swallow.
  20. JamesW.
    May 30, 2008
    Yes it was predictable. But the whole series was. How great of a movie would it be if everything was perfect. This was 4 episodes in one giant serving. My wife complained that she wanted more. But why would you want to change something that works so well. And imagine the uproar if the entire formula was changed and it sucked.
  21. fosbury
    May 30, 2008
    This movie was made exclusively for SATC fans and hit it's mark expertly. As a non-fashionista, scrubs-wearing average Joeanne, it has always been about the friendships to me, and this movie gave me back that wonderful "Sex..." one last time. Thank you ladies.
  22. vidman
    May 31, 2008
    I haven't watched the Sex and the City series on either HBO or on TNT. My girlfriend made me go. She prepared me with some knowledge about the show. Although it was a bit of a pain to listen to, I enjoyed the movie much more because of it. However, what I really enjoyed the movie for was its thought provoking relationship decisions. I would watch it again.
  23. Steve
    May 31, 2008
    If you're a fan of the show, there's no reason to dislike this movie. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. It was much more truer to its roots than Indiana Jones 4 was, so in that regard, it's worth the $10 ticket in gold. It's like 5 bonus episodes strung together, which isn't a bad thing if it's based on a TV show. Check it out.
  24. DeeN.
    May 31, 2008
    Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a new appreciation for some reasons why the willfully ignorant Deer Hunting with Jesus types are in a culture wars with the big city liberals. And I'm still not sure exactly why I DEEEEESPI-ZED it so very very much, so allow me to bring you with me to figure it out. So let me count the ways. There are a few spoilers, so beware. [***SPOILER***]First off, I wanted to smack nearly every character there that I was supposed to care about. In particular, the Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) character, who I never liked in the series and who I truly hated with the fire of a thousand suns in this cruelly long episode. After 6 months of freezing out her sweet partner Steve of sex, he tearfully and remorsefully admits to have an affair once, whereupon she slices him out of her life -- no discussion, just... slam. She then ends up saying something truly evil to Big the day before his wedding, and not owning up to it. She spends most of the movie wallowing in her self-made, self-indulgent misery and whining to everyone about it, which made me want to pull that huge stick out of her ass and beat her to death with it. Then she makes me hate poor Steve as he doggedly (seriously, like a dog) trails after the pinched, petty harpy until she finally relents and returns to make his life miserable again. Jesus, Steve, run! Run!!! I felt like I was in a horror movie where the sacrificial character ignores the blood trickling down the walls and the crunching noises in the basement and traipses down "to investigate" instead of getting the hell out of the house. The rest of the characters range from earning my contempt to earning my disbelief, and I really, really hate the scriptwriter for bringing these people to life and putting those words in their mouths. How cute: Charlotte eating little pudding cups in Mexico rather than risk eating anything at a 5-star resort, only to inadvertently open her mouth in the shower and get explosive diarrhea minutes afterwards (minutes? I hate you, Mr. Writer). I hated the transparent way the conflict was set up for the wedding to become too complex and scare away the elusive Mr. Big, who I secretly cheered on to leave the silly pseudo-intellectual clotheshorse Carrie forever and find someone with more depth than a toxically scented Vogue. I even got irritated with Samantha, my favorite character with her lusty, zesty ways, even though she provided the only relief whatsoever in the movie with her taking charge when the other girls fall apart snivellingly, and I had to love her pillow-humping purse dog, and the glimpses at Samantha's sexy neighbor's tight, naked, promiscuous ass. But does she get to do him? No! I hate you, Mr. Writer. I hate the writer in particular for squandering the talents of the lovely Jennifer Hudson, forced to play the archetypal magical negro servant -- er, assistant... oh so wise in the ways of love, and the writer uses her clumsily as an almost inanimate plot device. If a bubbleheaded girlfriend of yours forces you to see this in order to get laid, you will know the exact moments where you can imagine the outtakes (as I did) as Hudson would be justified in screaming an expletive after a particularly embarrassing, tin-eared line, and muttering, "You can write this shit, but I don't know who the hell you think is saying it." And okay. I admit it. I hate girly stuff except for the color purple and iridescence and the luscious way a scoop neckline and pushup bra makes your tits look. I hate the idea of fashion shows, $700 shoes and $5000 purses. I mean, WTF? Why? How could a purse possibly be worth that much? The squealing, the cattiness, the easily bruised sensibilities. Lavish weddings piss me off and make me sad at the waste and false fantasy that the wedding industry gouges out of dumb people, be they sweet or vain -- I feel like the remake movie Father of the Bride should be banned by the Geneva Convention. The saddest thing of all is that I saw this movie as part of going as a group, with people I normally like in real life, and that all of the females just loved it. Am I defective in some way, missing a crucial X chromosome or chick bit in the brain? Or, do I just lose some respect for the women I enjoy working with day-to-day, women who I think of as deeply smart and nice and funny? Sigh. Expand
  25. ChrisV.
    May 31, 2008
    I am an avid SATC fan, but was completely disappointed with this movie. I've never looked at my watch so much, and when we left the theatre we were depressed. Was a big letdown, very sad and not the SATC we left behind years ago.
  26. TylerR.
    May 31, 2008
    Worst movie I have ever seen. Im sad that they let things like this into the theatres. its a waste of electricity that we could be using to solve things like World Hunger.
  27. JulieM.
    May 31, 2008
    It was so great to see the four women back together in all their ZaaZaaZoo! This movie was at times romantic and at times funny but also so emotional and real.Just like in the series you were swept away with emotion while watching the four women deal with the personal crossroads they had reached.
  28. SteveO
    May 31, 2008
    21st century look no further! Here is the most debasing, piece of trash out there today. People call this uplifting? its about sluts who sleep with men for their money. This is a stinker. Ouch.
  29. BenC.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I went in sneering prepared for the worst then spent the entire time in the theater laughing and crying (roller coaster-like) at what I experienced. Truly a fun, well-intentioned blow-up to the popular series.
  30. RosinaW
    Jun 1, 2008
    I adored the show, wish I would have left it at that. The movie was very long, and the drama that was created was devastating. The entire movie was depressing, and then, after unforgivable drama.... the end is happy. The characters lost their identity, and the jokes weren't as witty or funny as the show. The movie didn't have the same vibe as the show.
  31. JB
    Jun 1, 2008
    A very sweet fable that--surprise surprise--emancipates love from labels.
  32. AAA
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you loved the series, you will love the movie. It is very touching and true about the relationships between women. I loved it! If you never watched the series, this movie isn't for you. You won't pick up on the story based on history of the characters. To see this without having watched the series would be an unfair review. It stays true to the show.
  33. Rev.Rikard
    Jun 1, 2008
    As a marriage and family counselor I found this television show revealing at times in uderstanding the different perspectives with which men and women see the world and understand life. Therefore, I viewed the movie, along with the other three men in a theater full of women. Whoever marketed this movied failed miserably in making it appeal to men. A vast amount of revenue was lost. I As a marriage and family counselor I found this television show revealing at times in uderstanding the different perspectives with which men and women see the world and understand life. Therefore, I viewed the movie, along with the other three men in a theater full of women. Whoever marketed this movied failed miserably in making it appeal to men. A vast amount of revenue was lost. I believe the poor attendance of men says a lot about the content of the movie and the word of mouth that accompanies a film. I admit that without a prior knowledge of the characters from watching the HBO series, much of the humor was lost on the audience. The movie was entertaining in spite of the need for prior knowledge as heartache and humor were intermingled in the post-modern world of dating, relationships and the institution of marriage. However, the movie soon lost its luster and began to feel like watching a compilation of tidbits from previous episodes. Woody Allen was one of the directors who could meaningfully explore relationships in novel ways using the same combination of humor and pain. He also knew how to gather the perfect ensemble of characters. This film held such promise and potential. However, just when the audience was prepared to journey down new paths we found ourselves sitting on the sofa in front of the television, laughing at the same personalities and similar circumstances. This culture is ready for a movie that realistically offers a vision of hope for those in search of authentic, lasting love. "American Beauty" powerfully revealed our angst, confusion and pain. We are now ready to laugh a little, while greatly believing love can still emerge from pain. This film tantalized us, but left us to wait a while longer. Expand
  34. GiselleA.
    Jun 1, 2008
    SATC The Movie definitely lived up to all the hype and anticipation. I'm going to see this in the theater at least a couple more times then buy the DVD as soon as it comes out!
  35. AliciaO.
    Jun 1, 2008
    OVER THE TOP FUNNY! Unless you are a total prune, there is no way you can sit through this movie and not laugh.
  36. PegK.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Too long? Yes. Bit sappy? Yes, but wasn't the series? The writing was lacking, no question. But .... one of the reasons we loved them in the first place is that they were three quarters imperfection and one quarter fantasy. If you're one of the millions who faithfully followed them week to week on HBO (please, the sanitized reruns don't count), then how could you NOT be Too long? Yes. Bit sappy? Yes, but wasn't the series? The writing was lacking, no question. But .... one of the reasons we loved them in the first place is that they were three quarters imperfection and one quarter fantasy. If you're one of the millions who faithfully followed them week to week on HBO (please, the sanitized reruns don't count), then how could you NOT be thrilled to see them getting older right along with you and still falling in and out of love? Not a perfect movie, but it was still divine. Expand
  37. JennieK.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Loved it. A great ending to a wonderful series. I'm really going to miss these women now!
  38. zzyyxxdd
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you love the show, you will love the movie. It was great to see the four girls again!
  39. Zygarch
    Jun 1, 2008
    Some of the actual reviews are far more favorable than the score that metacritic gives them. All in all, a fun nostalgic romp that does not disappoint its millions of fans. Plus, it's hilarious, sexy, sometimes shocking, occasionally sad, but definitely exemplary of solid female relationships. And, if you're a guy who likes women, you'll not only gain some insight, but Some of the actual reviews are far more favorable than the score that metacritic gives them. All in all, a fun nostalgic romp that does not disappoint its millions of fans. Plus, it's hilarious, sexy, sometimes shocking, occasionally sad, but definitely exemplary of solid female relationships. And, if you're a guy who likes women, you'll not only gain some insight, but you'll have fun too. Enjoy! Expand
  40. N.Grealy
    Jun 1, 2008
    Modestly attractive women, whining about men, treating children like accessories, all in the name of girl power. What's not to like? Oh, all of it!
  41. JoeZ
    Jun 1, 2008
    Wierd - it seems most people who don't like this movie either 1. Wanted a different story 2. Didn't like the fact that it was unrealistic or 3. Are just threatened. I went with my wife who loved it - and I must say I thought it was great too - it delivered precisely what a vast majority of fans of the series(particularly 30-40's females who really "grew up" along with the Wierd - it seems most people who don't like this movie either 1. Wanted a different story 2. Didn't like the fact that it was unrealistic or 3. Are just threatened. I went with my wife who loved it - and I must say I thought it was great too - it delivered precisely what a vast majority of fans of the series(particularly 30-40's females who really "grew up" along with the characters) absolutely wanted. And I can not remember the last movie I was at where at the close of the movie the audience burst into applause. For those who hated the movie - I hear you but just don't get it. Expand
  42. AndieM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Loved it! It was awesome! If you haven't seen the series then you won't be able to appriciate the movie. It was great to see all of the girls back together with great style and love!
  43. SuzyW
    Jun 1, 2008
    I loved the series and really enjoyed the movie. I don't understand the people who hated the series but went to this movie -- why? Just so they could complain that they didn't like it?
  44. AS
    Jun 1, 2008
    This is a movie for gown-up women to watch, recognize some aspects of their lives and relationships, and to just enjoy. It was vastly more fun than the reviews led me to expect. Samantha's character needed more work and Miranda's neurosis was not fun to watch - although this is far from the only film out with annoying characters, so that shouldn't impact the ratings. . And, This is a movie for gown-up women to watch, recognize some aspects of their lives and relationships, and to just enjoy. It was vastly more fun than the reviews led me to expect. Samantha's character needed more work and Miranda's neurosis was not fun to watch - although this is far from the only film out with annoying characters, so that shouldn't impact the ratings. . And, no, I don't wear Prada - or even like people who do - but that's really not the point of this movie. Friendship, love, good and bad choices and how things change over decades are the story. Expand
  45. JulieR.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I'm a die-hard fan of the series, and the movie didn't disappoint at all! (And I'm a tough critic.) I laughed and cried, and I'm planning to see it again.
  46. ClarkC
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you read Steve O.'s review below, it pretty much sums up this movie. This whole "Sex in the City" thing is a piece of trash. Why cant they do us all a favor and throw it in the garbage and dump it?
  47. SteveM.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I had softened my expectations based on the incredibly inconsistent reviews it has gotten. I was surprised therefore how good it actually was. It was a valentine, that even when predictable, won my heart. If you loved the show, you owe it to yourself to see the movie. I may go through withdrawl from the series all over again.
  48. NonaU.
    Jun 2, 2008
    LOVED it, loved it, loved it... Thought each story line played out true to character for each of them. Simple Loved it!
  49. LarryH
    Jun 2, 2008
    A five-part HBO special would have been more fitting. This movie is not meant for the big screen. Save your money and rent the DVD with all the glorious extras.
  50. HayleyW.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I loved this movie. It was a thrill of emotions...crying for both happy and sad... Highly recommended for fans of the show!
  51. TonyP
    Jun 2, 2008
    Loved it. Had the same wit and humor as the series. Laughed out loud throughout.
  52. RichardJ.
    Jun 2, 2008
    As Jay Sherman used to say on the critic 'It Stinks', I gave it two as their are some funny moments, but this is in a cruel way, one character shits her pants, and the other gets jilted at her wedding day and another gets cheated on... But this film is way too long and really makes people who have negative comments about the show right..that it can be shallow and meaningless. As Jay Sherman used to say on the critic 'It Stinks', I gave it two as their are some funny moments, but this is in a cruel way, one character shits her pants, and the other gets jilted at her wedding day and another gets cheated on... But this film is way too long and really makes people who have negative comments about the show right..that it can be shallow and meaningless. This film shoudl not have been made. Expand
  53. YolandeT.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I never saw the TV series so I did not have any preconceived ideas of the characters, but I had no problem following a warm sesitive movie about four women looking for love and happiness. I am a 52 year old single female who would like to believe that fairytales REALLY do come true!
  54. TrishaH
    Jun 2, 2008
    Huge fan of the TV show, and I thought they did an amazing job with the movie. I didn't want it to ever end.
  55. Luke
    Jun 2, 2008
    Absolutely awful. This film is completely over-hyped and any reviewer that rates this positively has almost certainly had a few too many cosmopolitans before heading to the cinema.
  56. MargaretT.
    Jun 2, 2008
    Loved it. Even though it was over 2 hours long, I didn't want it to be over!
  57. MaggieP
    Jun 2, 2008
    As a huge fan of the show and owner of the complete series, I was beside myself in excitement for the film. I loved the show for its edgy topics, risky humor, and honest portrayal of how women view relationships. The movie did not meet my expectations. The SATC felt more like a chick flick than anything else, and was not the comedic performance I was expecting. The movie took us to a dark As a huge fan of the show and owner of the complete series, I was beside myself in excitement for the film. I loved the show for its edgy topics, risky humor, and honest portrayal of how women view relationships. The movie did not meet my expectations. The SATC felt more like a chick flick than anything else, and was not the comedic performance I was expecting. The movie took us to a dark place for much of the movie. I felt the acting on most parts were flat (compared to the show). The story line seemed scattered and seemed to have no focus. On the other hand, It is a difficult task to cram all the complications of all of the characters into one movie...which is probably to blame for the lack of depth in the characters. I love the 4 women and was happy to see them again. But if you weren't a fan before..this movie is not enough to convert you. Expand
  58. DSeeger
    Jun 2, 2008
    Excessive eye candy with the most self absorbed, materialistic, vapid script ever written. I was actually a fan of the series but this one did the show's legacy no favors.
  59. AM
    Jun 2, 2008
    Disappointing & dull...film lacked focus and characters are even more caricature-ish than the series.
  60. ChadS.
    Jun 2, 2008
    The entitled girl gets her heart broken. The entitled girl discovers black people. The entitled girl has problems most of us can't relate to, but Sarah Jessica Parker manages the neat trick of making us care about a person, who probably wouldn't give the time of day to a plain Jane such as Patty Greene, the socially-challenged girl that Parker played in the CBS sitcom "Square The entitled girl gets her heart broken. The entitled girl discovers black people. The entitled girl has problems most of us can't relate to, but Sarah Jessica Parker manages the neat trick of making us care about a person, who probably wouldn't give the time of day to a plain Jane such as Patty Greene, the socially-challenged girl that Parker played in the CBS sitcom "Square Pegs". "Sex and the City: The Movie" is so f*****' long, it's like sitting through half a season of episodes. The second episode is the best, if you demarcate the section in which the sex advice columnist takes off her Carrie mask and becomes a relatable person. The movie began for me at the precise moment Carrie looks at herself in the mirror; this time, out of desperation, and not vanity. Parker gets naked in a way that belies the title of the popular HBO series. Carrie might've been more fun as a blonde, but she becomes truly incandescent as a brunette. If the filmmaker had any guts, he would've left the girls in the States, so Carrie could soul-search on her own. In Mexico, that's where Carrie should meet Louise(Jennifer Hudson). Parker and the former-American Idol star are wonderful together, but it's a shame that their relationship had to be hierarchial. Make them vacationers, two "girls" commingling over margaritas about their busted romances, not master and servant, white girl and black girl. Expand
  61. AMan
    Jun 3, 2008
    ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!! Kill me, Please put me out of my missery, Girls your gonna love it because it has Women in it and they talk, As far as i could tell thats all they do, i think there is a wedding in there somewhere, but for the Real men out there may i suggest that you try the following when being dragged to see this film 1, Take LSD, this should make the fiml enteraining.
  62. DianaJ.
    Jun 4, 2008
    I was not a devoted fan of the television series, but watched some episodes when it got to TBS. The plot is minimal and the film both delivers and disappoints in that the humor, clothes and settings are up to par, but the plotline is slight and somewhat predictable. Did I cry? Yes. And I enjoyed being part of the phenomenon of the female rush to the ticket office .On day one at 4 p.m. I I was not a devoted fan of the television series, but watched some episodes when it got to TBS. The plot is minimal and the film both delivers and disappoints in that the humor, clothes and settings are up to par, but the plotline is slight and somewhat predictable. Did I cry? Yes. And I enjoyed being part of the phenomenon of the female rush to the ticket office .On day one at 4 p.m. I could only get in day two! Expand
  63. Fionn?
    Jun 5, 2008
    The occasional funny moments can't save this sexist, soppy drivel from being one of the worst films I've ever seen. I don't see how being preoccupied with relationships makes it "Well-intentioned" or "Full of good messages" as people here are claiming. Look closer: All the women are rich, successful and clever, while the men are much slower and more indecent. Not to mention The occasional funny moments can't save this sexist, soppy drivel from being one of the worst films I've ever seen. I don't see how being preoccupied with relationships makes it "Well-intentioned" or "Full of good messages" as people here are claiming. Look closer: All the women are rich, successful and clever, while the men are much slower and more indecent. Not to mention that the only women who aren't sexy, rich, smart goddesses are anti-fur protesters. I'm amazed at this film's relatively high scores. It should be thrown into a stinking hole with other god-awful so-called "Comedies" and be done with. Expand
  64. cookiej.
    Jun 5, 2008
    The Golden Girls are more entertaining than this sh*t.
  65. DOND
    Jun 6, 2008
    People are looking way too deep into the meaning of this movie...the movie is FUN. I saw it with a packed crowd and people laughed multiple times.. Don't look to this movie as the rule book to life .... Go see the Kite Runner(which I saw and loved) if you want to see a deep movie. Bottom line..the series has always had Drama and comedy for those shocked by the drama in the movie. The People are looking way too deep into the meaning of this movie...the movie is FUN. I saw it with a packed crowd and people laughed multiple times.. Don't look to this movie as the rule book to life .... Go see the Kite Runner(which I saw and loved) if you want to see a deep movie. Bottom line..the series has always had Drama and comedy for those shocked by the drama in the movie. The base audience for this movie...Women, but men will enjoy it. The movie is fun...the characters are funny and it is pure fantasy with small traces of real problems thrown in for measure. If you get on a rollercoster...you will have more fun if you stop trying to figure out the science of it and just roll with the good times... The point...have fun..it's summer. Expand
  66. AnnikP
    Jun 6, 2008
    Did just what it needed to do. A warm and wonderful story about women's friendhsips and their lives.
  67. MarkB.
    Jun 6, 2008
    I almost set a moviegoing record with this one. Back in 2005, when I went to see The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I noticed that I was one of exactly two males in the audience, and the other man was presumably there with his daughter. Well, this time out I was one of THREE guys in the audience. (The theater's trailer coordinator obviously knew that theaters showing this flick I almost set a moviegoing record with this one. Back in 2005, when I went to see The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I noticed that I was one of exactly two males in the audience, and the other man was presumably there with his daughter. Well, this time out I was one of THREE guys in the audience. (The theater's trailer coordinator obviously knew that theaters showing this flick would gather a higher estrogen count than a mall comprised entirely of nothing but beauty salons, and programmed accordingly; I saw previews for the ABBA musical Mamma Mia, the filmization of the bestseller He's Just Not That Into You, and, yes, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.) Lest I be asked to relinquish my Y chromosome for going to see the further adventures of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha WILLINGLY, let me advise any of my gender that should their spouse or squeeze insist on taking them to this, to remember three points: 1.) she went with YOU to see all thirty-six Marvel Comics movies released in the past five years, so fair's fair; 2.) be grateful it's this and not that crappy wedding movie starring Dr. McDreamy; and most importantly, 3.) guys should enjoy this for the same reason that many guys enjoyed Terms of Endearment, When Harry Met Sally...and Pretty Woman: all four are damned good movies. Writer-director Michael Patrick King, a staple of the beloved, long-running HBO TV series, assumes the same duties here; he seamlessly blends high comedy (there's a delightful sequence early on using Crayolas as euphemisms), low humor (the notorious pubic hair joke from the preview is seen in its extended version), tears and melodrama, as author Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) excitedly prepares for her wedding to Mr. Big and her three girlfriends experience various other life-changing situations. I've seen about 10 episodes of the show (my best friend's wife is a fan) and so had a working knowledge of the characters and relationships, but what drove me to the theater was Parker, who, with her warmth, vulnerability, little-girl charm and mile-wide smile, brings humanity to even superficial or unsympathetic characters (L.A. Story, Ed Wood, The Family Stone). She doesn't disappoint here, and her costars are a delight to watch together and apart (with special kudos to Cynthia Nixon, given that Miranda acts like a horse's ass for roughly half the movie). Some other random observations: Kim Cattrall does something with sushi that'll forever change your thinking about it, whether you like or loathe the stuff; Carrie's choice of a "chase the blues" movie is about as good as it gets (and no, it's not As Good As It Gets); the extended New Year's Eve sequence is breathtakingly lovely, funny and poignant; and I really admired KIng's refusal to shy away from the implication that one of the character's decisions will almost ensure that she remains lonely and unsatisfied throughout the rest of her life. Most of all, the primary reason that Sex and the City (the movie even more than the TV episodes I saw) works as well as it does is that it so convincingly depicts the power of friendship. This is especially fitting because, like most of the even-numbered Star Trek films, Sex and the City-The Movie should make not only hardcore disciples but also casual acquaintances of (and those completely unfamiliar with) the TV series feel like they've spent a couple of hours with some very good old friends. Expand
  68. J.C.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Great movie. How on Earth could critics like INDIANA FREAKIN JONES 4 over this movie?! This movie is intelligent, funny and has lots of heart. Takes its time and delivers a movie made for adults.
  69. PM
    Jun 8, 2008
    Just a perfect chick flick.
  70. ClaireM.
    Jun 9, 2008
    Having been a Sex and the City fan for as long as I can remember and watching every episode at least 20 times, the film was what I expected and more. It didn't try to be anything else and was a witty, funny, smart movie, just like the episodes. It was amazing they managed to get all the cast back so it was even better. Would I watch it again, oh yes!!
  71. Alex
    Jun 9, 2008
    I for one loved the series and followed it very closely. This movie was about as far from the series as you could get. It was boring, dumb, and way too long. As a man, I could not recommend this film to another man. I for one could not connect to it as I did with the series. The ending is absolutely horrible as well. It felt like the plot was all over the place. The length was unbearable. I for one loved the series and followed it very closely. This movie was about as far from the series as you could get. It was boring, dumb, and way too long. As a man, I could not recommend this film to another man. I for one could not connect to it as I did with the series. The ending is absolutely horrible as well. It felt like the plot was all over the place. The length was unbearable. I can remember looking at my watch, figuring out there was 45 more minutes, and wanting to fake a injury to get the hell out of there. Females may find it more entertaining, but men stay far far away. Expand
  72. BillC.
    Jun 9, 2008
    Much better than I expected. I'd never seen the HBO series ,although I was aware of the characters. A "chick" movie for sure , but entertaining and funny.
  73. AngeW.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Okay this is so not the sex and the city I know. Where was the witty culture wise chat? Where was the range of sexual experience? This was tawdry, dull, flat, lank, like hair that has used the straightening irons one time too many. And ha ha ha, how we laugh at the gay kiss, and ooh ooh ooh, how sexy the straight new year's kiss. Served a cosmopolitan in the theatre with cheap orange Okay this is so not the sex and the city I know. Where was the witty culture wise chat? Where was the range of sexual experience? This was tawdry, dull, flat, lank, like hair that has used the straightening irons one time too many. And ha ha ha, how we laugh at the gay kiss, and ooh ooh ooh, how sexy the straight new year's kiss. Served a cosmopolitan in the theatre with cheap orange liquer, and pre-mixed limes stuffed with preservative, a perfect match. Expand
  74. Jennifer
    Jun 14, 2008
    Just like many super fans of the series, I was at the theater on opening day. As a fan of the show I was not disappointed. I felt like I was watching the TV version at the movie theater. All the components were there, laughter, tears, joy
  75. RobertI.
    Jun 15, 2008
    It's not Fellini, but 30s-era Hollywood. Loved the tv series, happy to see the resolution.
  76. CJP
    Jun 17, 2008
    I was a HUGE fan of the TV show and was severely disappointed in the movie. It was very shallow, had far too many product placements, implied that it is OK to cheat on a women if they don't put out (so forgive your man for cheating on you, ladies! NOT!!), and that sex is more important than long term relationshps. This movie was LAME, LAME, LAME!
  77. StellaT.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Best movie for women I have seen in a long time. Love the 2 hour episode and hope they do another one.
  78. jw
    Jun 20, 2008
    I thought it was a fun movie. It did the series justice.
  79. Erica
    Jun 22, 2008
    Overall, I thought It stuck to the essence of the TV show, and was every bit as good. There was a couple things in the Big/Carrie storyline that could have been improved, but it is still a solid 8 in my books!
  80. WV
    Jun 22, 2008
    Perfect. I was hoping the wouldn't screw up the last shot of S&TC that we got from the season finale and they didn't. It was a perfect though slightly more mainstream follow up to the show. I laughed an cried along with the four women I spent years watching on the small screen. If you couldn't wait for the next episode/season then you'll love the movie...but if you Perfect. I was hoping the wouldn't screw up the last shot of S&TC that we got from the season finale and they didn't. It was a perfect though slightly more mainstream follow up to the show. I laughed an cried along with the four women I spent years watching on the small screen. If you couldn't wait for the next episode/season then you'll love the movie...but if you didn't love or watch the show you probably won't love the movie either. Expand
  81. TiagoM.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Very funny and delicious for the show fans .
  82. AlyssaC.
    Jun 27, 2008
    If you loved it on the tube you will love it on the big screen! Also it must be said that the friends I took with me who had never seen the show before really like the movie too! They ranged from pleasantly surprised to asking to borrow my dvds of the seasons, SATC converts!
  83. EfrenE.
    Jul 1, 2008
    If the tv show is no good, what gave these guys the idea that a movie about it would be any better.
  84. KV
    Jul 3, 2008
    After enjoying the series so much, the film was a let down. There were laughs and tears in places, the fashion was fabulous but overall the plot was dismal. The ending left me feeling annoyed and thinking does a leopard ever change his spots?
  85. MirandaH.
    Jul 4, 2008
    Honestly I don't remember much from this movie. I went catatonic during the last hour. However, from what I recall it was terrible. When i wasn't drooling from sheer overwhelming boredom I was sitting in disgust. Not only was Sex and the City twice as mind numbing on the big screen, it was also poorly written and poorly acted. It wasn't edgy or sexy or funny or interesting Honestly I don't remember much from this movie. I went catatonic during the last hour. However, from what I recall it was terrible. When i wasn't drooling from sheer overwhelming boredom I was sitting in disgust. Not only was Sex and the City twice as mind numbing on the big screen, it was also poorly written and poorly acted. It wasn't edgy or sexy or funny or interesting in the least bit. The four women of this film frankly terrify me, and not because they're all crazy as shit. It's mainly because I don't understand how they can act this out and keep any sense of feminine dignity. This movie is the exact reason men continue to think that women are bland, boring, crazy bitches. Thank you Sex and the City for perpetuating stereotypes, and for all the sane people that were forced to go see this movie by someone obviously fucking crazy, I truly sympathize. Expand
  86. MiniA
    Jul 7, 2008
    I enjoyed this movie a lot. For someone who watched the Tv series, you would not ask for a better ending. Great fashion, great stroy. Loved it all.
  87. NazimulH.
    Jul 11, 2008
    I don't know what the big deal was about, had a nice sleeping session though, save the hot scenes.
  88. JakeG.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie is the epitome of shit. It is all that is wrong with the world, and if it was a person it would be the fat kid that got picked on at school.
  89. AndrewR.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie was about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. Also to quote dodgeball, I would've much rather drank my own urine than seen this movie.
  90. MartinS.
    Jul 14, 2008
    It's really not fair to rate this movie since I left the theater during the "fashion montage." I'm assuming women just loved all the designer references that appeared during the movie. Are women really this shallow? This movie was the very definition of the term "chick flick." Guys, if you must go, bring your ipod with you.
  91. KevinS.
    Aug 3, 2008
    I was a fan of the series, but what on earth happened here? I think Mark Kermode summed it up best by saying this movie "has a handbag where it's heart should be". What turned Charlotte into a xenophobic streaming imbecile? And how much more botox could they cram into Samantha's face? I know this movie should be accessible to first timers, but do they have to read the script I was a fan of the series, but what on earth happened here? I think Mark Kermode summed it up best by saying this movie "has a handbag where it's heart should be". What turned Charlotte into a xenophobic streaming imbecile? And how much more botox could they cram into Samantha's face? I know this movie should be accessible to first timers, but do they have to read the script like they're auditioning for Barney the dinosaur? This movie would make a pig smoke. Expand
  92. JimP.
    Aug 5, 2008
    I walk in, sit down expecting to see a pulse pounding gritty action adventure and after twenty minuets, all I get is a bunch of bs dialog between a couple of middle age women discussing marriage. All I kept hearing about this movie was how good Heath Ledger was but he didn't even show up! Didn't even get my money back.
  93. IngridW.
    Aug 17, 2008
    I notice that a lot of the men who rate this movie gave it very poor scores - and yes, i understand. it probably isn't fun having your girl drag you to the Sex and the City Movie. However, i enjoyed it very much. The humor was smart, the acting was well done, and it was much more classy than the episodes you regularly see on the television. I also understand that this can however be I notice that a lot of the men who rate this movie gave it very poor scores - and yes, i understand. it probably isn't fun having your girl drag you to the Sex and the City Movie. However, i enjoyed it very much. The humor was smart, the acting was well done, and it was much more classy than the episodes you regularly see on the television. I also understand that this can however be a painful experience for those who have not followed the Sex and the City series. More than likely, you will be confused and be left thinking, "What the fuck?" I strongly recommend this movie to people who have seen a bit of the series. i do not, however, recommend it to (straight) men. Expand
  94. MaxineW.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Mildly entertaining. Duplicate characters from the TV show so not much growth here. Did anyone else notice the mikes in every scene? For such a fiscally successful flick can't they afford good help?
  95. NatalieO.
    Sep 4, 2008
    I have watched this film twice now. The first time I was very disappointed, but the the second time I realized why everything happened the way it did. I felt it could have been a little funnier, but still good.
  96. JayH.
    Sep 20, 2008
    Perhaps if I had seen at least one episode in the series, I might have gotten more out of the movie. It does have it's moments. Kim Cattrall is great, and Jennifer Hudson is memorable. It's a likable film overall.
  97. FredS.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Popcorn and a film of fail.
  98. SallyM.
    Sep 25, 2008
    I loved every minute of this film. This is not a film written for men, thank goodness, and yet they seem so keen to rate it here. Sex and the City is a modern day adult female fairy tale and is pure enjoyment on that level.
  99. B.Jones
    Sep 27, 2008
    They are not pretty, in every scene they are the oldest person, they are surrounded by young people - it highlights how bizzare the idea of women in their 60's acting like bratz dolls. The fashion is bad bad bad. The drama is less convincing than a spoilt emo 13 year old demanding mummy take her crush more seriously. The characters are all vindictive and disgusting. If you enjoy They are not pretty, in every scene they are the oldest person, they are surrounded by young people - it highlights how bizzare the idea of women in their 60's acting like bratz dolls. The fashion is bad bad bad. The drama is less convincing than a spoilt emo 13 year old demanding mummy take her crush more seriously. The characters are all vindictive and disgusting. If you enjoy laughing at men for 2 hours - you'll love this. I hope no man ever has to suffer your presence though. Expand
  100. LizG.
    Sep 27, 2008
    I am a huge Sex fan, but this was total garbage. It was completely awful, I cried because one of my favorite shows was ruined. I wish I could have directed the movie, I would have done it justice because I am without a doubt the greatest person who has ever lived and the biggest Sex and the City fan you will meet! I get choked up just thinking about how bad this movie was, I mean, how I am a huge Sex fan, but this was total garbage. It was completely awful, I cried because one of my favorite shows was ruined. I wish I could have directed the movie, I would have done it justice because I am without a doubt the greatest person who has ever lived and the biggest Sex and the City fan you will meet! I get choked up just thinking about how bad this movie was, I mean, how could we let this happen? I would rather watch those stupid action/horror movies with my fat, lazy, boyfriend than see this movie ever again. I hope I can recover from this, I just need some ice cream and to yell at one of my friends for no good reason, that will help. Expand

1. Unfortunately, where episodes of the series used to take their cue from a question posed by one of Carrie's columns, writer-director Michael Patrick King never finds that focus, and Sex and the City loses its tart edge in the process.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Best in its small moments, the movie should find receptive gal pals congregating for the mother of all viewing parties.
  3. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    If you are immune to the charms of Carrie and co., this will do little to convert you. Still, it has more than enough sass, style and sentiment to keep the faithful satisfied. Add a star if you're a fan.