6.2

1. ALF
    Apr 3, 2011
    Maybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch themMaybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch them again, but for this particular film (as with the Royal Tenebaums and The Life Aquatic) I do not need to. Thankfully I bought this as a cheap DVD and plan to donate it to a library or someone who also will probably pass it on when they have seen it. Expand
  2. JeffW.
    May 29, 2008
    Worse than the show. Let me say that once more for emphasis: Worse. Than. The. Show. Who says Hollywood can't do the impossible?
  3. PatK
    May 29, 2008
    I prefer my comedies funny, not shrill.
    May 29, 2008
    Just saw a sneak peak. VERY dissappointing. Seemed to only be an excuse for the actresses to parade around in expensive clothes furthering the divide between SATC and reality.
  5. CraigA.
    May 30, 2008
    That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as exciting as watching your girlfriend buy shoes (which it kind of is...). I was left with two questions: 1) How on Earth can the producers of this dreck think that watching people buy $50,000 rings is entertainment? 2) How on Earth did Jennifer Hudson win an Oscar when she may be the single worst actress the US has ever produced? Expand
  6. FranciscoG.
    May 30, 2008
    This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Too long and too boring! My wife made me see it with her and even she regrets seeing it.
  7. JamesK.
    May 30, 2008
    Why are there so many women reviewing this film? Strange thing to see that the top of the list is dominated by women reviewers, the bottom are mainly men.
  8. RudyS.
    May 30, 2008
    It's just bad. Save your money and watch the TV show.
  9. Enrique
    Moronic piece of crap!
  10. DeeN.
    May 31, 2008
    Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a new appreciation for some reasons why the willfully ignorant Deer Hunting with Jesus types are in a culture wars with the big city liberals. And I'm still not sure exactly why I DEEEEESPI-ZED it so very very much, so allow me to bring you with me to figure it out. So let me count the ways. There are a few spoilers, so beware. [***SPOILER***]First off, I wanted to smack nearly every character there that I was supposed to care about. In particular, the Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) character, who I never liked in the series and who I truly hated with the fire of a thousand suns in this cruelly long episode. After 6 months of freezing out her sweet partner Steve of sex, he tearfully and remorsefully admits to have an affair once, whereupon she slices him out of her life -- no discussion, just... slam. She then ends up saying something truly evil to Big the day before his wedding, and not owning up to it. She spends most of the movie wallowing in her self-made, self-indulgent misery and whining to everyone about it, which made me want to pull that huge stick out of her ass and beat her to death with it. Then she makes me hate poor Steve as he doggedly (seriously, like a dog) trails after the pinched, petty harpy until she finally relents and returns to make his life miserable again. Jesus, Steve, run! Run!!! I felt like I was in a horror movie where the sacrificial character ignores the blood trickling down the walls and the crunching noises in the basement and traipses down "to investigate" instead of getting the hell out of the house. The rest of the characters range from earning my contempt to earning my disbelief, and I really, really hate the scriptwriter for bringing these people to life and putting those words in their mouths. How cute: Charlotte eating little pudding cups in Mexico rather than risk eating anything at a 5-star resort, only to inadvertently open her mouth in the shower and get explosive diarrhea minutes afterwards (minutes? I hate you, Mr. Writer). I hated the transparent way the conflict was set up for the wedding to become too complex and scare away the elusive Mr. Big, who I secretly cheered on to leave the silly pseudo-intellectual clotheshorse Carrie forever and find someone with more depth than a toxically scented Vogue. I even got irritated with Samantha, my favorite character with her lusty, zesty ways, even though she provided the only relief whatsoever in the movie with her taking charge when the other girls fall apart snivellingly, and I had to love her pillow-humping purse dog, and the glimpses at Samantha's sexy neighbor's tight, naked, promiscuous ass. But does she get to do him? No! I hate you, Mr. Writer. I hate the writer in particular for squandering the talents of the lovely Jennifer Hudson, forced to play the archetypal magical negro servant -- er, assistant... oh so wise in the ways of love, and the writer uses her clumsily as an almost inanimate plot device. If a bubbleheaded girlfriend of yours forces you to see this in order to get laid, you will know the exact moments where you can imagine the outtakes (as I did) as Hudson would be justified in screaming an expletive after a particularly embarrassing, tin-eared line, and muttering, "You can write this shit, but I don't know who the hell you think is saying it." And okay. I admit it. I hate girly stuff except for the color purple and iridescence and the luscious way a scoop neckline and pushup bra makes your tits look. I hate the idea of fashion shows, $700 shoes and $5000 purses. I mean, WTF? Why? How could a purse possibly be worth that much? The squealing, the cattiness, the easily bruised sensibilities. Lavish weddings piss me off and make me sad at the waste and false fantasy that the wedding industry gouges out of dumb people, be they sweet or vain -- I feel like the remake movie Father of the Bride should be banned by the Geneva Convention. The saddest thing of all is that I saw this movie as part of going as a group, with people I normally like in real life, and that all of the females just loved it. Am I defective in some way, missing a crucial X chromosome or chick bit in the brain? Or, do I just lose some respect for the women I enjoy working with day-to-day, women who I think of as deeply smart and nice and funny? Sigh. Expand
  11. ChrisV.
    May 31, 2008
    I am an avid SATC fan, but was completely disappointed with this movie. I've never looked at my watch so much, and when we left the theatre we were depressed. Was a big letdown, very sad and not the SATC we left behind years ago.
  12. TylerR.
    May 31, 2008
    Worst movie I have ever seen. Im sad that they let things like this into the theatres. its a waste of electricity that we could be using to solve things like World Hunger.
  13. SteveO
    May 31, 2008
    21st century look no further! Here is the most debasing, piece of trash out there today. People call this uplifting? its about sluts who sleep with men for their money. This is a stinker. Ouch.
  14. N.Grealy
    Jun 1, 2008
    Modestly attractive women, whining about men, treating children like accessories, all in the name of girl power. What's not to like? Oh, all of it!
  15. ClarkC
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you read Steve O.'s review below, it pretty much sums up this movie. This whole "Sex in the City" thing is a piece of trash. Why cant they do us all a favor and throw it in the garbage and dump it?
  16. RichardJ.
    Jun 2, 2008
    As Jay Sherman used to say on the critic 'It Stinks', I gave it two as their are some funny moments, but this is in a cruel way, one character shits her pants, and the other gets jilted at her wedding day and another gets cheated on... But this film is way too long and really makes people who have negative comments about the show right..that it can be shallow and meaningless. As Jay Sherman used to say on the critic 'It Stinks', I gave it two as their are some funny moments, but this is in a cruel way, one character shits her pants, and the other gets jilted at her wedding day and another gets cheated on... But this film is way too long and really makes people who have negative comments about the show right..that it can be shallow and meaningless. This film shoudl not have been made. Expand
  17. Luke
    Jun 2, 2008
    Absolutely awful. This film is completely over-hyped and any reviewer that rates this positively has almost certainly had a few too many cosmopolitans before heading to the cinema.
  18. AM
    Jun 2, 2008
    Disappointing & dull...film lacked focus and characters are even more caricature-ish than the series.
  19. AMan
    Jun 3, 2008
    ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!! Kill me, Please put me out of my missery, Girls your gonna love it because it has Women in it and they talk, As far as i could tell thats all they do, i think there is a wedding in there somewhere, but for the Real men out there may i suggest that you try the following when being dragged to see this film 1, Take LSD, this should make the fiml enteraining.
  20. Fionn?
    Jun 5, 2008
    The occasional funny moments can't save this sexist, soppy drivel from being one of the worst films I've ever seen. I don't see how being preoccupied with relationships makes it "Well-intentioned" or "Full of good messages" as people here are claiming. Look closer: All the women are rich, successful and clever, while the men are much slower and more indecent. Not to mention The occasional funny moments can't save this sexist, soppy drivel from being one of the worst films I've ever seen. I don't see how being preoccupied with relationships makes it "Well-intentioned" or "Full of good messages" as people here are claiming. Look closer: All the women are rich, successful and clever, while the men are much slower and more indecent. Not to mention that the only women who aren't sexy, rich, smart goddesses are anti-fur protesters. I'm amazed at this film's relatively high scores. It should be thrown into a stinking hole with other god-awful so-called "Comedies" and be done with. Expand
  21. cookiej.
    Jun 5, 2008
    The Golden Girls are more entertaining than this sh*t.
  22. Alex
    Jun 9, 2008
    I for one loved the series and followed it very closely. This movie was about as far from the series as you could get. It was boring, dumb, and way too long. As a man, I could not recommend this film to another man. I for one could not connect to it as I did with the series. The ending is absolutely horrible as well. It felt like the plot was all over the place. The length was unbearable. I for one loved the series and followed it very closely. This movie was about as far from the series as you could get. It was boring, dumb, and way too long. As a man, I could not recommend this film to another man. I for one could not connect to it as I did with the series. The ending is absolutely horrible as well. It felt like the plot was all over the place. The length was unbearable. I can remember looking at my watch, figuring out there was 45 more minutes, and wanting to fake a injury to get the hell out of there. Females may find it more entertaining, but men stay far far away. Expand
  23. AngeW.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Okay this is so not the sex and the city I know. Where was the witty culture wise chat? Where was the range of sexual experience? This was tawdry, dull, flat, lank, like hair that has used the straightening irons one time too many. And ha ha ha, how we laugh at the gay kiss, and ooh ooh ooh, how sexy the straight new year's kiss. Served a cosmopolitan in the theatre with cheap orange Okay this is so not the sex and the city I know. Where was the witty culture wise chat? Where was the range of sexual experience? This was tawdry, dull, flat, lank, like hair that has used the straightening irons one time too many. And ha ha ha, how we laugh at the gay kiss, and ooh ooh ooh, how sexy the straight new year's kiss. Served a cosmopolitan in the theatre with cheap orange liquer, and pre-mixed limes stuffed with preservative, a perfect match. Expand
  24. CJP
    Jun 17, 2008
    I was a HUGE fan of the TV show and was severely disappointed in the movie. It was very shallow, had far too many product placements, implied that it is OK to cheat on a women if they don't put out (so forgive your man for cheating on you, ladies! NOT!!), and that sex is more important than long term relationshps. This movie was LAME, LAME, LAME!
  25. EfrenE.
    Jul 1, 2008
    If the tv show is no good, what gave these guys the idea that a movie about it would be any better.
  26. MirandaH.
    Jul 4, 2008
    Honestly I don't remember much from this movie. I went catatonic during the last hour. However, from what I recall it was terrible. When i wasn't drooling from sheer overwhelming boredom I was sitting in disgust. Not only was Sex and the City twice as mind numbing on the big screen, it was also poorly written and poorly acted. It wasn't edgy or sexy or funny or interesting Honestly I don't remember much from this movie. I went catatonic during the last hour. However, from what I recall it was terrible. When i wasn't drooling from sheer overwhelming boredom I was sitting in disgust. Not only was Sex and the City twice as mind numbing on the big screen, it was also poorly written and poorly acted. It wasn't edgy or sexy or funny or interesting in the least bit. The four women of this film frankly terrify me, and not because they're all crazy as shit. It's mainly because I don't understand how they can act this out and keep any sense of feminine dignity. This movie is the exact reason men continue to think that women are bland, boring, crazy bitches. Thank you Sex and the City for perpetuating stereotypes, and for all the sane people that were forced to go see this movie by someone obviously fucking crazy, I truly sympathize. Expand
  27. NazimulH.
    Jul 11, 2008
    I don't know what the big deal was about, had a nice sleeping session though, save the hot scenes.
  28. JakeG.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie is the epitome of shit. It is all that is wrong with the world, and if it was a person it would be the fat kid that got picked on at school.
  29. AndrewR.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie was about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. Also to quote dodgeball, I would've much rather drank my own urine than seen this movie.
  30. MartinS.
    Jul 14, 2008
    It's really not fair to rate this movie since I left the theater during the "fashion montage." I'm assuming women just loved all the designer references that appeared during the movie. Are women really this shallow? This movie was the very definition of the term "chick flick." Guys, if you must go, bring your ipod with you.
  31. KevinS.
    Aug 3, 2008
    I was a fan of the series, but what on earth happened here? I think Mark Kermode summed it up best by saying this movie "has a handbag where it's heart should be". What turned Charlotte into a xenophobic streaming imbecile? And how much more botox could they cram into Samantha's face? I know this movie should be accessible to first timers, but do they have to read the script I was a fan of the series, but what on earth happened here? I think Mark Kermode summed it up best by saying this movie "has a handbag where it's heart should be". What turned Charlotte into a xenophobic streaming imbecile? And how much more botox could they cram into Samantha's face? I know this movie should be accessible to first timers, but do they have to read the script like they're auditioning for Barney the dinosaur? This movie would make a pig smoke. Expand
  32. JimP.
    Aug 5, 2008
    I walk in, sit down expecting to see a pulse pounding gritty action adventure and after twenty minuets, all I get is a bunch of bs dialog between a couple of middle age women discussing marriage. All I kept hearing about this movie was how good Heath Ledger was but he didn't even show up! Didn't even get my money back.
  33. MaxineW.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Mildly entertaining. Duplicate characters from the TV show so not much growth here. Did anyone else notice the mikes in every scene? For such a fiscally successful flick can't they afford good help?
  34. B.Jones
    Sep 27, 2008
    They are not pretty, in every scene they are the oldest person, they are surrounded by young people - it highlights how bizzare the idea of women in their 60's acting like bratz dolls. The fashion is bad bad bad. The drama is less convincing than a spoilt emo 13 year old demanding mummy take her crush more seriously. The characters are all vindictive and disgusting. If you enjoy They are not pretty, in every scene they are the oldest person, they are surrounded by young people - it highlights how bizzare the idea of women in their 60's acting like bratz dolls. The fashion is bad bad bad. The drama is less convincing than a spoilt emo 13 year old demanding mummy take her crush more seriously. The characters are all vindictive and disgusting. If you enjoy laughing at men for 2 hours - you'll love this. I hope no man ever has to suffer your presence though. Expand
  35. LizG.
    Sep 27, 2008
    I am a huge Sex fan, but this was total garbage. It was completely awful, I cried because one of my favorite shows was ruined. I wish I could have directed the movie, I would have done it justice because I am without a doubt the greatest person who has ever lived and the biggest Sex and the City fan you will meet! I get choked up just thinking about how bad this movie was, I mean, how I am a huge Sex fan, but this was total garbage. It was completely awful, I cried because one of my favorite shows was ruined. I wish I could have directed the movie, I would have done it justice because I am without a doubt the greatest person who has ever lived and the biggest Sex and the City fan you will meet! I get choked up just thinking about how bad this movie was, I mean, how could we let this happen? I would rather watch those stupid action/horror movies with my fat, lazy, boyfriend than see this movie ever again. I hope I can recover from this, I just need some ice cream and to yell at one of my friends for no good reason, that will help. Expand
  36. JasonN.
    Oct 1, 2008
    I thought I'd check the hype around this movie. I was sorely disappointed. Having not watched a single episode of the wildly popular tv show, I do not understand what was the big deal about the lives of four self-absorbed women living in New York City. I caught myself saying out loud several time...what the hell is all this nonsense?? At least I can understand why this show/movie is I thought I'd check the hype around this movie. I was sorely disappointed. Having not watched a single episode of the wildly popular tv show, I do not understand what was the big deal about the lives of four self-absorbed women living in New York City. I caught myself saying out loud several time...what the hell is all this nonsense?? At least I can understand why this show/movie is popular among women - the lives that the characters lead are purely self-indulgent, fictional and silly....but people will always have their dreams. Expand
  37. DT.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Since seeing the video last night I've been trying to think of a worse, more boring, shallow movie. I'm still coming up dry. This was a bad kids' movie with sex and vulgarity. I guess if you're interested in seeing endless tedious "fashion" and airheads who swoon over it, this was worth the (seemingly eternal) time. For the rest of us it was a bad Halloween prank, Since seeing the video last night I've been trying to think of a worse, more boring, shallow movie. I'm still coming up dry. This was a bad kids' movie with sex and vulgarity. I guess if you're interested in seeing endless tedious "fashion" and airheads who swoon over it, this was worth the (seemingly eternal) time. For the rest of us it was a bad Halloween prank, complete with pretentious-crap costumes. I say this as a guy who watches "womens' stuff like Housewives and Betty with some degree of interest. Maybe because they actually manage to be funny once in a while. This trash movie, on the other hand, may have cured me of ever wanting to even go to NYC again. I don't need to get on a plane if I want to see the kind of self-obsessed ugliness this waste of film offers. Expand

1. Unfortunately, where episodes of the series used to take their cue from a question posed by one of Carrie's columns, writer-director Michael Patrick King never finds that focus, and Sex and the City loses its tart edge in the process.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Best in its small moments, the movie should find receptive gal pals congregating for the mother of all viewing parties.
  3. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    If you are immune to the charms of Carrie and co., this will do little to convert you. Still, it has more than enough sass, style and sentiment to keep the faithful satisfied. Add a star if you're a fan.