6.2

1. BlakeM.
    May 28, 2008
    This is a fabulous movie and fans of the series will love it! Ignore all the haters! They're just ignorant!
  2. IndianaJones
    May 29, 2008
    I love the way carrie goe into town, and bravely conducts her business. she's one of the best in the game performing the skill of conversing and intercoursing...did i say intercoursing? i mean, she's really good at just being carrie. keep on woman!
  3. MariaM.
    May 29, 2008
    Saw it Tuesday in NY at the premiere. Don't know what it's like if you don't know the series, but I'm a fan, and I thought it rocked. Only quibble, Jennifer Hudson seemed a little uncomfortable. Other than that, tremendously satisfying.
  4. Kevin
    May 30, 2008
    Saw it last night at the midnight show it was fantastic...these reviewers suck! The men who didnt like it must hate women and the women who didnt like it need a date!
  5. StacyH.
    May 30, 2008
    I was so afraid it wouldn't be very good, but it was better than I hoped. Surprisingly deep, dark and sweet and tender. Extremely satsfying. The girls hit one out of the park.
  6. MartinM
    May 30, 2008
    Fans of the series should not mind the avg reviews - I would probably not rate it as high as a stand alone but it doesn't have to. The moods, the settings, the characters - feel right - I'm satisfied.
  7. SteveC.
    May 30, 2008
    Loved it, loved it. It was like visiting old friends again..very entertaining, and I was glad it was over 2 hours long!
  8. Jing
    May 30, 2008
    It's the closure I've been waiting for. The whole story is just too honest for some people to swallow.
  9. JamesW.
    May 30, 2008
    Yes it was predictable. But the whole series was. How great of a movie would it be if everything was perfect. This was 4 episodes in one giant serving. My wife complained that she wanted more. But why would you want to change something that works so well. And imagine the uproar if the entire formula was changed and it sucked.
  10. fosbury
    May 30, 2008
    This movie was made exclusively for SATC fans and hit it's mark expertly. As a non-fashionista, scrubs-wearing average Joeanne, it has always been about the friendships to me, and this movie gave me back that wonderful "Sex..." one last time. Thank you ladies.
  11. vidman
    May 31, 2008
    I haven't watched the Sex and the City series on either HBO or on TNT. My girlfriend made me go. She prepared me with some knowledge about the show. Although it was a bit of a pain to listen to, I enjoyed the movie much more because of it. However, what I really enjoyed the movie for was its thought provoking relationship decisions. I would watch it again.
  12. Steve
    May 31, 2008
    If you're a fan of the show, there's no reason to dislike this movie. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. It was much more truer to its roots than Indiana Jones 4 was, so in that regard, it's worth the $10 ticket in gold. It's like 5 bonus episodes strung together, which isn't a bad thing if it's based on a TV show. Check it out.
  13. JulieM.
    May 31, 2008
    It was so great to see the four women back together in all their ZaaZaaZoo! This movie was at times romantic and at times funny but also so emotional and real.Just like in the series you were swept away with emotion while watching the four women deal with the personal crossroads they had reached.
  14. BenC.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I went in sneering prepared for the worst then spent the entire time in the theater laughing and crying (roller coaster-like) at what I experienced. Truly a fun, well-intentioned blow-up to the popular series.
  15. JB
    Jun 1, 2008
    A very sweet fable that--surprise surprise--emancipates love from labels.
  16. AAA
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you loved the series, you will love the movie. It is very touching and true about the relationships between women. I loved it! If you never watched the series, this movie isn't for you. You won't pick up on the story based on history of the characters. To see this without having watched the series would be an unfair review. It stays true to the show.
  17. GiselleA.
    Jun 1, 2008
    SATC The Movie definitely lived up to all the hype and anticipation. I'm going to see this in the theater at least a couple more times then buy the DVD as soon as it comes out!
  18. AliciaO.
    Jun 1, 2008
    OVER THE TOP FUNNY! Unless you are a total prune, there is no way you can sit through this movie and not laugh.
  19. PegK.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Too long? Yes. Bit sappy? Yes, but wasn't the series? The writing was lacking, no question. But .... one of the reasons we loved them in the first place is that they were three quarters imperfection and one quarter fantasy. If you're one of the millions who faithfully followed them week to week on HBO (please, the sanitized reruns don't count), then how could you NOT be Too long? Yes. Bit sappy? Yes, but wasn't the series? The writing was lacking, no question. But .... one of the reasons we loved them in the first place is that they were three quarters imperfection and one quarter fantasy. If you're one of the millions who faithfully followed them week to week on HBO (please, the sanitized reruns don't count), then how could you NOT be thrilled to see them getting older right along with you and still falling in and out of love? Not a perfect movie, but it was still divine. Expand
  20. JennieK.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Loved it. A great ending to a wonderful series. I'm really going to miss these women now!
  21. zzyyxxdd
    Jun 1, 2008
    If you love the show, you will love the movie. It was great to see the four girls again!
  22. Zygarch
    Jun 1, 2008
    Some of the actual reviews are far more favorable than the score that metacritic gives them. All in all, a fun nostalgic romp that does not disappoint its millions of fans. Plus, it's hilarious, sexy, sometimes shocking, occasionally sad, but definitely exemplary of solid female relationships. And, if you're a guy who likes women, you'll not only gain some insight, but Some of the actual reviews are far more favorable than the score that metacritic gives them. All in all, a fun nostalgic romp that does not disappoint its millions of fans. Plus, it's hilarious, sexy, sometimes shocking, occasionally sad, but definitely exemplary of solid female relationships. And, if you're a guy who likes women, you'll not only gain some insight, but you'll have fun too. Enjoy! Expand
  23. JoeZ
    Jun 1, 2008
    Wierd - it seems most people who don't like this movie either 1. Wanted a different story 2. Didn't like the fact that it was unrealistic or 3. Are just threatened. I went with my wife who loved it - and I must say I thought it was great too - it delivered precisely what a vast majority of fans of the series(particularly 30-40's females who really "grew up" along with the Wierd - it seems most people who don't like this movie either 1. Wanted a different story 2. Didn't like the fact that it was unrealistic or 3. Are just threatened. I went with my wife who loved it - and I must say I thought it was great too - it delivered precisely what a vast majority of fans of the series(particularly 30-40's females who really "grew up" along with the characters) absolutely wanted. And I can not remember the last movie I was at where at the close of the movie the audience burst into applause. For those who hated the movie - I hear you but just don't get it. Expand
  24. AndieM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Loved it! It was awesome! If you haven't seen the series then you won't be able to appriciate the movie. It was great to see all of the girls back together with great style and love!
  25. SuzyW
    Jun 1, 2008
    I loved the series and really enjoyed the movie. I don't understand the people who hated the series but went to this movie -- why? Just so they could complain that they didn't like it?
  26. AS
    Jun 1, 2008
    This is a movie for gown-up women to watch, recognize some aspects of their lives and relationships, and to just enjoy. It was vastly more fun than the reviews led me to expect. Samantha's character needed more work and Miranda's neurosis was not fun to watch - although this is far from the only film out with annoying characters, so that shouldn't impact the ratings. . And, This is a movie for gown-up women to watch, recognize some aspects of their lives and relationships, and to just enjoy. It was vastly more fun than the reviews led me to expect. Samantha's character needed more work and Miranda's neurosis was not fun to watch - although this is far from the only film out with annoying characters, so that shouldn't impact the ratings. . And, no, I don't wear Prada - or even like people who do - but that's really not the point of this movie. Friendship, love, good and bad choices and how things change over decades are the story. Expand
  27. JulieR.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I'm a die-hard fan of the series, and the movie didn't disappoint at all! (And I'm a tough critic.) I laughed and cried, and I'm planning to see it again.
  28. SteveM.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I had softened my expectations based on the incredibly inconsistent reviews it has gotten. I was surprised therefore how good it actually was. It was a valentine, that even when predictable, won my heart. If you loved the show, you owe it to yourself to see the movie. I may go through withdrawl from the series all over again.
  29. NonaU.
    Jun 2, 2008
    LOVED it, loved it, loved it... Thought each story line played out true to character for each of them. Simple Loved it!
  30. HayleyW.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I loved this movie. It was a thrill of emotions...crying for both happy and sad... Highly recommended for fans of the show!
  31. TonyP
    Jun 2, 2008
    Loved it. Had the same wit and humor as the series. Laughed out loud throughout.
  32. YolandeT.
    Jun 2, 2008
    I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I never saw the TV series so I did not have any preconceived ideas of the characters, but I had no problem following a warm sesitive movie about four women looking for love and happiness. I am a 52 year old single female who would like to believe that fairytales REALLY do come true!
  33. TrishaH
    Jun 2, 2008
    Huge fan of the TV show, and I thought they did an amazing job with the movie. I didn't want it to ever end.
  34. MargaretT.
    Jun 2, 2008
    Loved it. Even though it was over 2 hours long, I didn't want it to be over!
  35. ChadS.
    Jun 2, 2008
    The entitled girl gets her heart broken. The entitled girl discovers black people. The entitled girl has problems most of us can't relate to, but Sarah Jessica Parker manages the neat trick of making us care about a person, who probably wouldn't give the time of day to a plain Jane such as Patty Greene, the socially-challenged girl that Parker played in the CBS sitcom "Square The entitled girl gets her heart broken. The entitled girl discovers black people. The entitled girl has problems most of us can't relate to, but Sarah Jessica Parker manages the neat trick of making us care about a person, who probably wouldn't give the time of day to a plain Jane such as Patty Greene, the socially-challenged girl that Parker played in the CBS sitcom "Square Pegs". "Sex and the City: The Movie" is so f*****' long, it's like sitting through half a season of episodes. The second episode is the best, if you demarcate the section in which the sex advice columnist takes off her Carrie mask and becomes a relatable person. The movie began for me at the precise moment Carrie looks at herself in the mirror; this time, out of desperation, and not vanity. Parker gets naked in a way that belies the title of the popular HBO series. Carrie might've been more fun as a blonde, but she becomes truly incandescent as a brunette. If the filmmaker had any guts, he would've left the girls in the States, so Carrie could soul-search on her own. In Mexico, that's where Carrie should meet Louise(Jennifer Hudson). Parker and the former-American Idol star are wonderful together, but it's a shame that their relationship had to be hierarchial. Make them vacationers, two "girls" commingling over margaritas about their busted romances, not master and servant, white girl and black girl. Expand
  36. DianaJ.
    Jun 4, 2008
    I was not a devoted fan of the television series, but watched some episodes when it got to TBS. The plot is minimal and the film both delivers and disappoints in that the humor, clothes and settings are up to par, but the plotline is slight and somewhat predictable. Did I cry? Yes. And I enjoyed being part of the phenomenon of the female rush to the ticket office .On day one at 4 p.m. I I was not a devoted fan of the television series, but watched some episodes when it got to TBS. The plot is minimal and the film both delivers and disappoints in that the humor, clothes and settings are up to par, but the plotline is slight and somewhat predictable. Did I cry? Yes. And I enjoyed being part of the phenomenon of the female rush to the ticket office .On day one at 4 p.m. I could only get in day two! Expand
  37. DOND
    Jun 6, 2008
    People are looking way too deep into the meaning of this movie...the movie is FUN. I saw it with a packed crowd and people laughed multiple times.. Don't look to this movie as the rule book to life .... Go see the Kite Runner(which I saw and loved) if you want to see a deep movie. Bottom line..the series has always had Drama and comedy for those shocked by the drama in the movie. The People are looking way too deep into the meaning of this movie...the movie is FUN. I saw it with a packed crowd and people laughed multiple times.. Don't look to this movie as the rule book to life .... Go see the Kite Runner(which I saw and loved) if you want to see a deep movie. Bottom line..the series has always had Drama and comedy for those shocked by the drama in the movie. The base audience for this movie...Women, but men will enjoy it. The movie is fun...the characters are funny and it is pure fantasy with small traces of real problems thrown in for measure. If you get on a rollercoster...you will have more fun if you stop trying to figure out the science of it and just roll with the good times... The point...have fun..it's summer. Expand
  38. AnnikP
    Jun 6, 2008
    Did just what it needed to do. A warm and wonderful story about women's friendhsips and their lives.
  39. MarkB.
    Jun 6, 2008
    I almost set a moviegoing record with this one. Back in 2005, when I went to see The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I noticed that I was one of exactly two males in the audience, and the other man was presumably there with his daughter. Well, this time out I was one of THREE guys in the audience. (The theater's trailer coordinator obviously knew that theaters showing this flick I almost set a moviegoing record with this one. Back in 2005, when I went to see The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I noticed that I was one of exactly two males in the audience, and the other man was presumably there with his daughter. Well, this time out I was one of THREE guys in the audience. (The theater's trailer coordinator obviously knew that theaters showing this flick would gather a higher estrogen count than a mall comprised entirely of nothing but beauty salons, and programmed accordingly; I saw previews for the ABBA musical Mamma Mia, the filmization of the bestseller He's Just Not That Into You, and, yes, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.) Lest I be asked to relinquish my Y chromosome for going to see the further adventures of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha WILLINGLY, let me advise any of my gender that should their spouse or squeeze insist on taking them to this, to remember three points: 1.) she went with YOU to see all thirty-six Marvel Comics movies released in the past five years, so fair's fair; 2.) be grateful it's this and not that crappy wedding movie starring Dr. McDreamy; and most importantly, 3.) guys should enjoy this for the same reason that many guys enjoyed Terms of Endearment, When Harry Met Sally...and Pretty Woman: all four are damned good movies. Writer-director Michael Patrick King, a staple of the beloved, long-running HBO TV series, assumes the same duties here; he seamlessly blends high comedy (there's a delightful sequence early on using Crayolas as euphemisms), low humor (the notorious pubic hair joke from the preview is seen in its extended version), tears and melodrama, as author Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) excitedly prepares for her wedding to Mr. Big and her three girlfriends experience various other life-changing situations. I've seen about 10 episodes of the show (my best friend's wife is a fan) and so had a working knowledge of the characters and relationships, but what drove me to the theater was Parker, who, with her warmth, vulnerability, little-girl charm and mile-wide smile, brings humanity to even superficial or unsympathetic characters (L.A. Story, Ed Wood, The Family Stone). She doesn't disappoint here, and her costars are a delight to watch together and apart (with special kudos to Cynthia Nixon, given that Miranda acts like a horse's ass for roughly half the movie). Some other random observations: Kim Cattrall does something with sushi that'll forever change your thinking about it, whether you like or loathe the stuff; Carrie's choice of a "chase the blues" movie is about as good as it gets (and no, it's not As Good As It Gets); the extended New Year's Eve sequence is breathtakingly lovely, funny and poignant; and I really admired KIng's refusal to shy away from the implication that one of the character's decisions will almost ensure that she remains lonely and unsatisfied throughout the rest of her life. Most of all, the primary reason that Sex and the City (the movie even more than the TV episodes I saw) works as well as it does is that it so convincingly depicts the power of friendship. This is especially fitting because, like most of the even-numbered Star Trek films, Sex and the City-The Movie should make not only hardcore disciples but also casual acquaintances of (and those completely unfamiliar with) the TV series feel like they've spent a couple of hours with some very good old friends. Expand
  40. J.C.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Great movie. How on Earth could critics like INDIANA FREAKIN JONES 4 over this movie?! This movie is intelligent, funny and has lots of heart. Takes its time and delivers a movie made for adults.
  41. PM
    Jun 8, 2008
    Just a perfect chick flick.
  42. ClaireM.
    Jun 9, 2008
    Having been a Sex and the City fan for as long as I can remember and watching every episode at least 20 times, the film was what I expected and more. It didn't try to be anything else and was a witty, funny, smart movie, just like the episodes. It was amazing they managed to get all the cast back so it was even better. Would I watch it again, oh yes!!
  43. BillC.
    Jun 9, 2008
    Much better than I expected. I'd never seen the HBO series ,although I was aware of the characters. A "chick" movie for sure , but entertaining and funny.
  44. Jennifer
    Jun 14, 2008
    Just like many super fans of the series, I was at the theater on opening day. As a fan of the show I was not disappointed. I felt like I was watching the TV version at the movie theater. All the components were there, laughter, tears, joy
  45. RobertI.
    Jun 15, 2008
    It's not Fellini, but 30s-era Hollywood. Loved the tv series, happy to see the resolution.
  46. StellaT.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Best movie for women I have seen in a long time. Love the 2 hour episode and hope they do another one.
  47. jw
    Jun 20, 2008
    I thought it was a fun movie. It did the series justice.
  48. Erica
    Jun 22, 2008
    Overall, I thought It stuck to the essence of the TV show, and was every bit as good. There was a couple things in the Big/Carrie storyline that could have been improved, but it is still a solid 8 in my books!
  49. WV
    Jun 22, 2008
    Perfect. I was hoping the wouldn't screw up the last shot of S&TC that we got from the season finale and they didn't. It was a perfect though slightly more mainstream follow up to the show. I laughed an cried along with the four women I spent years watching on the small screen. If you couldn't wait for the next episode/season then you'll love the movie...but if you Perfect. I was hoping the wouldn't screw up the last shot of S&TC that we got from the season finale and they didn't. It was a perfect though slightly more mainstream follow up to the show. I laughed an cried along with the four women I spent years watching on the small screen. If you couldn't wait for the next episode/season then you'll love the movie...but if you didn't love or watch the show you probably won't love the movie either. Expand
  50. TiagoM.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Very funny and delicious for the show fans .
  51. AlyssaC.
    Jun 27, 2008
    If you loved it on the tube you will love it on the big screen! Also it must be said that the friends I took with me who had never seen the show before really like the movie too! They ranged from pleasantly surprised to asking to borrow my dvds of the seasons, SATC converts!
  52. MiniA
    Jul 7, 2008
    I enjoyed this movie a lot. For someone who watched the Tv series, you would not ask for a better ending. Great fashion, great stroy. Loved it all.
  53. IngridW.
    Aug 17, 2008
    I notice that a lot of the men who rate this movie gave it very poor scores - and yes, i understand. it probably isn't fun having your girl drag you to the Sex and the City Movie. However, i enjoyed it very much. The humor was smart, the acting was well done, and it was much more classy than the episodes you regularly see on the television. I also understand that this can however be I notice that a lot of the men who rate this movie gave it very poor scores - and yes, i understand. it probably isn't fun having your girl drag you to the Sex and the City Movie. However, i enjoyed it very much. The humor was smart, the acting was well done, and it was much more classy than the episodes you regularly see on the television. I also understand that this can however be a painful experience for those who have not followed the Sex and the City series. More than likely, you will be confused and be left thinking, "What the fuck?" I strongly recommend this movie to people who have seen a bit of the series. i do not, however, recommend it to (straight) men. Expand
  54. NatalieO.
    Sep 4, 2008
    I have watched this film twice now. The first time I was very disappointed, but the the second time I realized why everything happened the way it did. I felt it could have been a little funnier, but still good.
  55. FredS.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Popcorn and a film of fail.
  56. SallyM.
    Sep 25, 2008
    I loved every minute of this film. This is not a film written for men, thank goodness, and yet they seem so keen to rate it here. Sex and the City is a modern day adult female fairy tale and is pure enjoyment on that level.
  57. AndreaK
    Jan 6, 2009
    I loved that it was neither predictable nor schmaltzy. I felt that it was raw and deep and dark and real. I cried throughout, and I am not yet menopausal. I'm not even peri-menopausal. The fashion and the glitz worked to levitate me above a lagoon of tears. I have really grown to appreciate the work of Michael Patrick King.
  58. DavidL.
    Aug 11, 2009
    Throughout the years never saw the actual show, then i saw the movie, and fell completely in love with it, and its so weird to see all this bad reviews on here, when every single person i know that has seen this movie has loved it as well. well guess you cant please everybody.. my point is one of the greatest movies of 2008 cant wait for the second one!!
  59. Feb 26, 2011
    This film was brillient & the show deserves to be revived on HBO or ABC NBC or whatever network that would like to pick it up for a brillient seventh season. SATC Forever
  60. Aug 27, 2011
    For any SATC fan, and/or for any gay boy who grew up watching it and made it his religion, this movie is of cult status. It's probably not the best movie that could've been made especially given the amount of time the producers have had after the show ended. Still, I believe it to be a very decent production. It has it's moments - Carrie in the powder room in Mexico, or Charlotte's "NO!For any SATC fan, and/or for any gay boy who grew up watching it and made it his religion, this movie is of cult status. It's probably not the best movie that could've been made especially given the amount of time the producers have had after the show ended. Still, I believe it to be a very decent production. It has it's moments - Carrie in the powder room in Mexico, or Charlotte's "NO! NO!" reaction. With those moments, the movie gets to you when you feel bored, and you have every right to given the movie's length. Still, I have to give it a ten - I have too much sentiment to the original series. Expand
  61. May 19, 2013
    Never having subscribed to Home Box Office (HBO) let alone watched the HBO show about what looked like a bunch of my expectations for Sex and the City, a movie based on the cable program, were low. Starring squinty Sarah Jessica Parker, who will never be leading lady material, as a writer named Carrie Bradshaw, and featuring her three gal pals, Sex and the City is better than expected.Never having subscribed to Home Box Office (HBO) let alone watched the HBO show about what looked like a bunch of my expectations for Sex and the City, a movie based on the cable program, were low. Starring squinty Sarah Jessica Parker, who will never be leading lady material, as a writer named Carrie Bradshaw, and featuring her three gal pals, Sex and the City is better than expected. Parker could be decked in diamonds and still look to me like the best friend in Footloose, and the silly soap opera bobs up and down never gaining traction. The nicely packaged Sex and the City piles on the outfits—bony Parker looks ridiculous in everything but the wedding gowns—the arched eyebrow lines and the alcohol (and, at this rate, all four of them ought to head for rehab). Though it sputters and stalls, there is usually something good to look at or listen to and it is often something relatable. Awkward, silent moments in the back of a taxi—an emotional rescue on New Year's Eve—the wonder of a properly lighted walk-in closet, there's a refreshing honesty about what people, especially women, really feel about having it all in the big, lonely city. True, Parker's character is irrevocably petty and Cattrall's aging blonde horndog is as nutritious as a Hostess Ho-Ho, but sometimes you gotta give in to the laughs and there's plenty of that in this feminine fairy tale. Expand
  62. Aug 25, 2014
    A natural return to the life of the four not-so-single-anymore-women from New York.

This movie made me laugh and cry - and glare angrily at certain characters for how they behaved (very much in character, but that doesn't mean one doesn't want to hit them upside the head for being who they are - again, after they were doing so well). There's a bit of familiar narration from Carrie,

There's a bit of familiar narration from Carrie, yet the fabulous scene has changed somewhat as our four ladies have gotten older and most of them have found their Mr. Right - and in Carrie's case, are about to take the big leap into something bigger.

Complications arise on all fronts, despite what looks like a very positive beginning. Every problem seems very natural, yet a few I wished hadn't happened because I was cheering on those characters during the TV series and wished they didn't have to go through the events here...

Either way, if you're a fan of the TV show, you'll treat this like a string of really long episodes. Nothing new is added to the mix - but nothing new was really needed.

1. Unfortunately, where episodes of the series used to take their cue from a question posed by one of Carrie's columns, writer-director Michael Patrick King never finds that focus, and Sex and the City loses its tart edge in the process.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Best in its small moments, the movie should find receptive gal pals congregating for the mother of all viewing parties.
  3. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    If you are immune to the charms of Carrie and co., this will do little to convert you. Still, it has more than enough sass, style and sentiment to keep the faithful satisfied. Add a star if you're a fan.