6.2

1. ALF
    Apr 3, 2011
    Maybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch themMaybe it is because I am male but this film was just so dull and so long. I think it also justified my decision to stay happily single as they go on, and on, and on. ... This film had absolutely nothing going for it. The cast I am sorry but I do not find them attractive as women and I found myself feeling less so as the films went on. Normally I give films a second chance and watch them again, but for this particular film (as with the Royal Tenebaums and The Life Aquatic) I do not need to. Thankfully I bought this as a cheap DVD and plan to donate it to a library or someone who also will probably pass it on when they have seen it. Expand
  2. AW
    May 27, 2008
    Not my type of movie, boring and unappealing (to me).
  3. BlakeM.
    May 28, 2008
    This is a fabulous movie and fans of the series will love it! Ignore all the haters! They're just ignorant!
  4. IndianaJones
    May 29, 2008
    I love the way carrie goe into town, and bravely conducts her business. she's one of the best in the game performing the skill of conversing and intercoursing...did i say intercoursing? i mean, she's really good at just being carrie. keep on woman!
  5. MariaM.
    May 29, 2008
    Saw it Tuesday in NY at the premiere. Don't know what it's like if you don't know the series, but I'm a fan, and I thought it rocked. Only quibble, Jennifer Hudson seemed a little uncomfortable. Other than that, tremendously satisfying.
  6. JeffW.
    May 29, 2008
    Worse than the show. Let me say that once more for emphasis: Worse. Than. The. Show. Who says Hollywood can't do the impossible?
  7. PatK
    May 29, 2008
    I prefer my comedies funny, not shrill.
    May 29, 2008
    Just saw a sneak peak. VERY dissappointing. Seemed to only be an excuse for the actresses to parade around in expensive clothes furthering the divide between SATC and reality.
  9. CraigA.
    May 30, 2008
    That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as That Hollywood can produce a two-hour-plus advert for L'Oreal, Prada and Gucci and, apparently without irony, conclude with the hypocritical message that none of those designer labels and must-have bling really MEANS anything, shows how culturally bankrupt and corporatized the US has become, and how stupid they think their audiences are. SITC is overly long, poorly paced, about as exciting as watching your girlfriend buy shoes (which it kind of is...). I was left with two questions: 1) How on Earth can the producers of this dreck think that watching people buy $50,000 rings is entertainment? 2) How on Earth did Jennifer Hudson win an Oscar when she may be the single worst actress the US has ever produced? Expand
  10. FranciscoG.
    May 30, 2008
    This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Too long and too boring! My wife made me see it with her and even she regrets seeing it.
  11. Kevin
    May 30, 2008
    Saw it last night at the midnight show it was fantastic...these reviewers suck! The men who didnt like it must hate women and the women who didnt like it need a date!
  12. RK
    May 30, 2008
    If you were a fan of the show, you are probably going to enjoy the movie. It's a bit frenetic in its pace, yet the nearly 2 1/2 hours in length make it feel like it drags on. The plot is pretty generic and the writing isn't spectacular, but seeing this movie is like going to a High School reunion -- you go to reminisce and watch the references back to the series.
  13. JamesK.
    May 30, 2008
    Why are there so many women reviewing this film? Strange thing to see that the top of the list is dominated by women reviewers, the bottom are mainly men.
  14. StacyH.
    May 30, 2008
    I was so afraid it wouldn't be very good, but it was better than I hoped. Surprisingly deep, dark and sweet and tender. Extremely satsfying. The girls hit one out of the park.
  15. MartinM
    May 30, 2008
    Fans of the series should not mind the avg reviews - I would probably not rate it as high as a stand alone but it doesn't have to. The moods, the settings, the characters - feel right - I'm satisfied.
  16. RudyS.
    May 30, 2008
    It's just bad. Save your money and watch the TV show.
  17. Enrique
    Moronic piece of crap!
  18. SteveC.
    May 30, 2008
    Loved it, loved it. It was like visiting old friends again..very entertaining, and I was glad it was over 2 hours long!
  19. Jing
    May 30, 2008
    It's the closure I've been waiting for. The whole story is just too honest for some people to swallow.
  20. JamesW.
    May 30, 2008
    Yes it was predictable. But the whole series was. How great of a movie would it be if everything was perfect. This was 4 episodes in one giant serving. My wife complained that she wanted more. But why would you want to change something that works so well. And imagine the uproar if the entire formula was changed and it sucked.
  21. fosbury
    May 30, 2008
    This movie was made exclusively for SATC fans and hit it's mark expertly. As a non-fashionista, scrubs-wearing average Joeanne, it has always been about the friendships to me, and this movie gave me back that wonderful "Sex..." one last time. Thank you ladies.
  22. vidman
    May 31, 2008
    I haven't watched the Sex and the City series on either HBO or on TNT. My girlfriend made me go. She prepared me with some knowledge about the show. Although it was a bit of a pain to listen to, I enjoyed the movie much more because of it. However, what I really enjoyed the movie for was its thought provoking relationship decisions. I would watch it again.
  23. Steve
    May 31, 2008
    If you're a fan of the show, there's no reason to dislike this movie. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. It was much more truer to its roots than Indiana Jones 4 was, so in that regard, it's worth the $10 ticket in gold. It's like 5 bonus episodes strung together, which isn't a bad thing if it's based on a TV show. Check it out.
  24. DeeN.
    May 31, 2008
    Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a Let me just preface this by saying: I have not read any reviews of this movie. And I kind of liked the series a little. And when I was young and nubile my gay best friend and his New York model sister used to play dress-up with me to break me out of my hippie couture, and those were not unenjoyable times. But. I HA-a-A-AYYYY-TED this movie. I had a whanging headache afterward, and had a new appreciation for some reasons why the willfully ignorant Deer Hunting with Jesus types are in a culture wars with the big city liberals. And I'm still not sure exactly why I DEEEEESPI-ZED it so very very much, so allow me to bring you with me to figure it out. So let me count the ways. There are a few spoilers, so beware. [***SPOILER***]First off, I wanted to smack nearly every character there that I was supposed to care about. In particular, the Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) character, who I never liked in the series and who I truly hated with the fire of a thousand suns in this cruelly long episode. After 6 months of freezing out her sweet partner Steve of sex, he tearfully and remorsefully admits to have an affair once, whereupon she slices him out of her life -- no discussion, just... slam. She then ends up saying something truly evil to Big the day before his wedding, and not owning up to it. She spends most of the movie wallowing in her self-made, self-indulgent misery and whining to everyone about it, which made me want to pull that huge stick out of her ass and beat her to death with it. Then she makes me hate poor Steve as he doggedly (seriously, like a dog) trails after the pinched, petty harpy until she finally relents and returns to make his life miserable again. Jesus, Steve, run! Run!!! I felt like I was in a horror movie where the sacrificial character ignores the blood trickling down the walls and the crunching noises in the basement and traipses down "to investigate" instead of getting the hell out of the house. The rest of the characters range from earning my contempt to earning my disbelief, and I really, really hate the scriptwriter for bringing these people to life and putting those words in their mouths. How cute: Charlotte eating little pudding cups in Mexico rather than risk eating anything at a 5-star resort, only to inadvertently open her mouth in the shower and get explosive diarrhea minutes afterwards (minutes? I hate you, Mr. Writer). I hated the transparent way the conflict was set up for the wedding to become too complex and scare away the elusive Mr. Big, who I secretly cheered on to leave the silly pseudo-intellectual clotheshorse Carrie forever and find someone with more depth than a toxically scented Vogue. I even got irritated with Samantha, my favorite character with her lusty, zesty ways, even though she provided the only relief whatsoever in the movie with her taking charge when the other girls fall apart snivellingly, and I had to love her pillow-humping purse dog, and the glimpses at Samantha's sexy neighbor's tight, naked, promiscuous ass. But does she get to do him? No! I hate you, Mr. Writer. I hate the writer in particular for squandering the talents of the lovely Jennifer Hudson, forced to play the archetypal magical negro servant -- er, assistant... oh so wise in the ways of love, and the writer uses her clumsily as an almost inanimate plot device. If a bubbleheaded girlfriend of yours forces you to see this in order to get laid, you will know the exact moments where you can imagine the outtakes (as I did) as Hudson would be justified in screaming an expletive after a particularly embarrassing, tin-eared line, and muttering, "You can write this shit, but I don't know who the hell you think is saying it." And okay. I admit it. I hate girly stuff except for the color purple and iridescence and the luscious way a scoop neckline and pushup bra makes your tits look. I hate the idea of fashion shows, $700 shoes and $5000 purses. I mean, WTF? Why? How could a purse possibly be worth that much? The squealing, the cattiness, the easily bruised sensibilities. Lavish weddings piss me off and make me sad at the waste and false fantasy that the wedding industry gouges out of dumb people, be they sweet or vain -- I feel like the remake movie Father of the Bride should be banned by the Geneva Convention. The saddest thing of all is that I saw this movie as part of going as a group, with people I normally like in real life, and that all of the females just loved it. Am I defective in some way, missing a crucial X chromosome or chick bit in the brain? Or, do I just lose some respect for the women I enjoy working with day-to-day, women who I think of as deeply smart and nice and funny? Sigh. Expand
  25. ChrisV.
    May 31, 2008
    I am an avid SATC fan, but was completely disappointed with this movie. I've never looked at my watch so much, and when we left the theatre we were depressed. Was a big letdown, very sad and not the SATC we left behind years ago.
  26. TylerR.
    May 31, 2008
    Worst movie I have ever seen. Im sad that they let things like this into the theatres. its a waste of electricity that we could be using to solve things like World Hunger.
  27. JulieM.
    May 31, 2008
    It was so great to see the four women back together in all their ZaaZaaZoo! This movie was at times romantic and at times funny but also so emotional and real.Just like in the series you were swept away with emotion while watching the four women deal with the personal crossroads they had reached.
  28. SteveO
    May 31, 2008
    21st century look no further! Here is the most debasing, piece of trash out there today. People call this uplifting? its about sluts who sleep with men for their money. This is a stinker. Ouch.
  29. BenC.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I went in sneering prepared for the worst then spent the entire time in the theater laughing and crying (roller coaster-like) at what I experienced. Truly a fun, well-intentioned blow-up to the popular series.
  30. RosinaW
    Jun 1, 2008
    I adored the show, wish I would have left it at that. The movie was very long, and the drama that was created was devastating. The entire movie was depressing, and then, after unforgivable drama.... the end is happy. The characters lost their identity, and the jokes weren't as witty or funny as the show. The movie didn't have the same vibe as the show.

1. Unfortunately, where episodes of the series used to take their cue from a question posed by one of Carrie's columns, writer-director Michael Patrick King never finds that focus, and Sex and the City loses its tart edge in the process.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Best in its small moments, the movie should find receptive gal pals congregating for the mother of all viewing parties.
  3. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    If you are immune to the charms of Carrie and co., this will do little to convert you. Still, it has more than enough sass, style and sentiment to keep the faithful satisfied. Add a star if you're a fan.