• Release Date: Nov 2, 2012
9.8

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Having watched 'Flight' and seen so many technical errors it was great to watch a film albeit low budget where the film was 100% authentic. A great story thank you.
  2. Dec 23, 2012
    I give this 10 as the film makers take us on the mission with re-enactments rather than archive footage and a voice over as is usually the case in documentaries. the attention to detail is second to none. I found the whole film absolutely captivating. Not to be missed.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    This is a terrific story of American heroes at their very best in world war 2. The film is very well made, great aerial shots, fantastic music. Not to be missed.
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    Great film, kept me and my wife very entertained last night. Whose the guy at the New York Times who reviewed the film and said it had too much narration and perhaps the director should stick to documentary films? THIS WAS A DOCUMENTARY!! What film did he watch? The NY Times really have some questionable folk working there!!!
    Great film - loved the air to air combat scenes. For a
    low/medium budget film I felt it was A1. I agree with LouisaAndrews - This IS the aviation version of Das Boot. Not to be missed. Expand
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    Recently saw the film in Wallingford in Oxforsdhire. I was intrigued by all the comments about the reviews. All the UK reviews I have read are all very positive, unlike the US reviews listed here on metacrtic. The Oxford Times recently carried this review at:
    which states this 'is a
    must for anyone interested in the aviation aspect of the conflict in the Pacific' and the review is very fair.
    I think it was a great film and I applaud the film makers and cast.
    This should be a BAFTA winner.
  6. Dec 3, 2012
    I saw the film at the Quad here in New York yesterday and thought it was a fantastic story and very well presented.Then I read that Andy Webster of the New York Times in his review of the film writes, that the film has 'an awkwardly applied musical score; and trite dialogue (
  7. Nov 22, 2012
    This is the best documentary film I have seen since for years. The space of the film is great, you just get taken along for the mission of all missions. The cinematography of the air combat scenes was fantastic. Not what you normally expect in a documentary. This is a properly researched film and my respect goes to the film director who filmed it exactly where it all happened. Not to be missed.
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    This is a great doco-drama, lot's of amazing information. Certainly for the higher IQ watcher but lot's of action for everyone. The 90 minutes is over before you know it and I found it so captivating. Outstanding aerial photography and VERY VERY good. I tried to make sense of why Gary Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times would be so negative and I can only conclude he is a comedy writer and clearly has no interest in aviation or the country's history. This is where a critic should be honest and say its not their genre as clearly from all the reviews on this site, this is a respected and much liked film.

For me, someone who has worked in a hospital and seen the price our soldiers have given to protect our country, this film made me so proud to be American and free. Free thanks to the efforts of the thousands like those in the film - willing to risk their lives - to try and make the world a better place.

This film is not to be missed.
  9. Nov 16, 2012
    Having read the review by Gary Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times, I felt I had to create an account and pass a comment. The review by Gary Goldstein is a disgrace to the good reputation of the LA Times which my family have taken for 2 decades. My father was a Lt Colonel in the USAF and I feel the film was a fantastic tribute to the crew and the the military. I found the film outstanding in every respect. Sure its not American made but the Brits did a good job on this film and should be applauded for doing so not unfairly criticized. Job well done 10/10 Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    I saw it & it was such an amazing story. As far as documentaries go, this was convincing & totally kept my attention. To suggest it may not be realistic or why would it be that hard to land a plane like that under those conditions comes from someone who knows nothing about flying and war- perhaps these film critics need to spend more time in the real world.
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    I highly recommend this film. It will make you proud to be an American. As others have said, the budget was small, but the filmmakers were super creative and smart with their spending. How often do you get to see a real, operational B24 bomber flying over the ocean?! To be able to use the real deal increases the realism and makes you really appreciate the attention to detail. This film was clearly made with care. Don't miss it! Expand
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    Mr Abrams,

I found your review to be as full of "unqualified descriptions..." as you accuse the film of having. I saw this film in the company of the original 380th BG vets who were there when those missions were flown, and their opinions of the film were extremely enthusiastic and supportive. As for "Wiki-worthy info dumps...", isn't a documentary (or docudrama) supposed to present
    facts and vintage photos ? Nothing--I repeat--Nothing in this film was fictionalized or presented as "unqualified descriptions" of events or dialogue. Your comment "fictionalized Unsolved Mysteries Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    When you watch Shady Lady and you remind yourself its is based on events that actually occurred, you soon understand why the aircraft commander a young Lt Craig was later awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. One the mission starts, the cinematography and journey events keep you on the edge of your seat. A tremendous documentary drama.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    This film has been compared to Das Boot, the 1981 piece of mastery by Wolfgang Petersen. She I can see the common thread but its important to remember Das Boot even in 1981 had a US$14 million budget, probably US$20 million at least in today';s money. Shady Lady according to IMDb is US$1.4 million, 1/10 Das Boot budget of 1981 or about 1/20 in today's money. With a fraction the budget the Shady Lady producers have created an incredible film for such a low budget, yes the actors are unknowns but the story is very powerful and well presented. Its 8/10 for me which for 1/20 the budget is incredible. Shady Lady made me feel proud to be American. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    I love history doco drama films and this one is a cracker. Reminds of Das Boot. For an indie doco this gives Hollywood a run for its money. I felt part of the mission. It's films like this that make me realise that films and Director's should be reviewed based not just on the film content but also on the budget, because this film for its budget is 11/10. A flight you will never forget.
  16. Nov 11, 2012
    This is a documentary about one of aviation's most historical events. I have watched the film twice and I totally disagree with the review made by the LA Times. This was a truly wonderful film, its a doco drama but at times we feel its a full feature film. I have researched this film online and it has great reviews so I can only assume the LA Times reviewer watched a different film.

The
    leading British Newspaper in its review called it 'Nail-biting' and that is a fair summary.

My father was in the military and watching this film made me proud of what the military have given to this country.

Not to be missed 10/10
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Andy Webster
    Nov 30, 2012
    It comes as no surprise that the director, Tristan Loraine, comes from a background as an airline captain and a documentarian. Perhaps those jobs make best use of his skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Gary Goldstein
    Nov 8, 2012
    The worthy, potentially exciting subject matter would certainly have lent itself to either a straight-on documentary or a seriously budgeted narrative feature. Instead, producer-director-editor Tristan Loraine (he also cowrote the dreadful script with Viv Young) clumsily tries to meld the two approaches - minus the big bucks.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Nov 8, 2012
    Too many Wiki-worthy info dumps and not enough character-enriching detail stops Shady Lady, a docudrama about a team of World War II Australian bombardiers, from cohering into a compelling fiction-documentary hybrid.