6.2

1. adama.
    Mar 2, 2005
    Classic... The two leads share a different kind of chemistry that can't be seen as amazing, but is of a high standard. The movie sees jennifer lopez in a more suited role, and although she has little to say there's a sort of deep sadness in her expressions throughout most of the movie. The movie takes on a different kind of love story than those featured recently, making it Classic... The two leads share a different kind of chemistry that can't be seen as amazing, but is of a high standard. The movie sees jennifer lopez in a more suited role, and although she has little to say there's a sort of deep sadness in her expressions throughout most of the movie. The movie takes on a different kind of love story than those featured recently, making it unique. Aside from that, the fact that the movie is a remake detracts from its overall appeal. Expand
  2. LaughingBuddha
    Oct 14, 2004
    Despite what most of the critics are saying about this movie, I actually enjoyed it. It was an entertaining evening out with my family. My mother loves Richard Gere so she enjoyed it the most. My wife & I though Stanley Tucci & Anita Gillette stole the show.
  3. RangaM.
    Feb 19, 2005
    Verv nice no words can explan that.
  4. JeffS.
    May 19, 2005
    Shall We Dance? Absolutely! Every role is pitch perfectly cast and directed. This is a beautiful, romantic, intellegent and sly film with an unexpectly grown-up and satisfying resolution. Stanley Tucci, Anita GIllete and the other supporting actors, as do the stars, provide heart and believability to a brilliantly spare and funny script. Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere are perfectly tuned Shall We Dance? Absolutely! Every role is pitch perfectly cast and directed. This is a beautiful, romantic, intellegent and sly film with an unexpectly grown-up and satisfying resolution. Stanley Tucci, Anita GIllete and the other supporting actors, as do the stars, provide heart and believability to a brilliantly spare and funny script. Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere are perfectly tuned as a married couple. Jennifer Lopez is that unattainable vision trapped in sadness; Lisa Ann Walter is that all too avialable working class girl also trapped in sadness but with street-savvy hope and Tucci, ahhhh, Tucci delivers the single most hilarious, over-the-top but believeable performance in years as straight guy who rhumbas in sequins. The fondness for this movie will grow over the decades. And Director Peter Chelsom washes it with wonderful music and stops the show, appropraitely, brilliantly in service of the story, with Mancini's "Moon River." Expand
  5. PatC.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Fun to watch and has its cute moments, but lots of formula and little substance. Gere's character is shallow, and haplessly dishonest to his wife, while Lopez provokes all the emotional empathy of an android.
  6. TyroneA.
    Oct 14, 2004
    This is an unmitigated disaster. Avoid at all costs as you have been warned.
  7. MikeC.
    Oct 15, 2004
    J Lo, please go back to singing! Susan, you are an incredibly talented actress. Why waste your time on this crap?
  8. RexS.
    Oct 15, 2004
    The Japanese film was a sweet, thoughtful gem. Hollywood, in full suck-tacular mode, chooses two clothing outfits that are often mistaken as actors, and decides to crank up the budget. What a shame, what a waste, what insight into how little originality Hollywood has left. Until they realize they have forgotten to make a live action movie out of "Courtship of Eddie's Father" - this The Japanese film was a sweet, thoughtful gem. Hollywood, in full suck-tacular mode, chooses two clothing outfits that are often mistaken as actors, and decides to crank up the budget. What a shame, what a waste, what insight into how little originality Hollywood has left. Until they realize they have forgotten to make a live action movie out of "Courtship of Eddie's Father" - this is the best H-Wood can do. Expand
  9. DeeO.
    Oct 16, 2004
    It was great!!! He is still so darn sexy!!! I love ballroom dancing!
  10. ChrisK
    Oct 17, 2004
    You guys are morons. This is a wonderful movie. Just can't think past the gay looking costumes...Idiots.
  11. Bob
    Oct 19, 2004
    The movie was okay but J Lo was awful as she just does not fit. The movie was okay and Stanley Tucci was his excellent self. But the chemistry is just not there. Cute but that is about it.
  12. BenoitL.
    Oct 22, 2004
    My wife and I enjoyed it for it is very entertaining and lively.
  13. MarieS.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Entertaining and sweet, even the jaded hollywood type crowd I saw it with clapped at the end -- and walked out of the aisles dancing.
  14. JimE.
    Jan 1, 2005
    Great "guy movie"!
  15. GaryK.
    Feb 12, 2005
    I thought this, movie was great, had everything I love in a movie, without it being boring. makes yea wanna go out and learn.
  16. JanH.
    Feb 27, 2005
    I watched this on the plane to America, if there was *anything* else to do I would have done it. Nothing happens in this movie. The plot is tired and weak. There are better TV movies being made than this rubbish.
  17. Ken
    Nov 15, 2004
    Has the structure and the indivual pieces of the orginal movie, but none of the soul of that film.
  18. KevinP.
    Nov 28, 2004
    It's too bad most people did not see the original.
  19. DeanU.
    Nov 29, 2004
    Excellent; in some ways better than the original. Mature and evenly paced so children and critics won't enjoy it. Instead of raw sex and car chases, you get complex people rediscovering themselves. Oh yes, there is also dancing. The photography is solid with tight shots of private moments and Baz type (Strictly Ballroom) shots of the dancing. The tango is worth the price of Excellent; in some ways better than the original. Mature and evenly paced so children and critics won't enjoy it. Instead of raw sex and car chases, you get complex people rediscovering themselves. Oh yes, there is also dancing. The photography is solid with tight shots of private moments and Baz type (Strictly Ballroom) shots of the dancing. The tango is worth the price of admission. Go see it to enjoy the story and the character development. Expand
  20. JohnT..
    Oct 17, 2004
    Yes, You idiots.
  21. KeriL
    Dec 27, 2004
    Okay, J. Lo was a little wooden and the whole thing about being sad was completely overblown. That said, I loved the surrounding cast, the dancing and the idea that you can follow your happiness and still have a fantastic marriage. I loved this movie!
  22. SaraY.
    Dec 3, 2004
    Amazing.
  23. horsth.
    Dec 23, 2005
    Easy entertainment.great music. Afeelgood movie.
  24. anshumanv.
    Feb 15, 2005
    Anyone who dislikes this film has got be non-emotional. extremely entertaining and touching dont miss it.
  25. CaptainCraig
    Feb 18, 2005
    When you copying a great original move how can you miss it my soooo much? No one seemed to have a clue about what they were supposed to be doing. Unbelievable Hollywood could spend that much money, a produce absolutely nothing!
  26. HelenB
    Nov 19, 2004
    Very silly movie and I was really looking forward to it too. I went because Jlo's part wasn't that big but this movie sucks anyway and I can't blame it all on her.
  27. Rachel
    Dec 16, 2004
    Very ridiculous movie even though I love Richard Gere.
  28. GloriaL.
    Dec 28, 2004
    A friend and I loved this movie! It was funny and just a plain old good time with a feel-good ending. We especially enjoyed Stanley Tucci.
  29. Aug 1, 2014
    This 2004 remake is perhaps inferior to the 1996 original film, but is unexpectedly solid due to its skillful performances. Chelsom's direction is decent and more impressive than the original's, as are dancing numbers.

1. A warm-hearted and understated entertainment that's blissfully free of the heavy-handed crudity and other elements that have ravaged 21st-century Hollywood comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Do yourself a favor and rent the 1996 original from Japan instead.
  3. A remarkably ill-advised remake.