4.5

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Skip-it - This is not Pirahna 3D! This truly is "a dumb shark movie." This is a neutered PG-13 "horror" film with no gore and zero nudity - in other words, one of the worst films of the year.
  2. Sep 4, 2011
    Are you people serious, this movie is so stupid, I knew it would be bad, but not that bad, like those actors are 0 to me, like go take some acting classes please, and that director should stop trying to make movies. It was a 2, and because the dog survived, kidding. It was just awful to see. And that Shark common you could have done a better job with that. Screenplay was same old same old,Are you people serious, this movie is so stupid, I knew it would be bad, but not that bad, like those actors are 0 to me, like go take some acting classes please, and that director should stop trying to make movies. It was a 2, and because the dog survived, kidding. It was just awful to see. And that Shark common you could have done a better job with that. Screenplay was same old same old, bla bla bla teenagers go into a lake house, and there's a bunch of sharks in the lake and they get kill one by one, until one of them kills the shark (oh but this time they had to worry about two freaks). It was stupid. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Shark Night", in short, is a vapid, cheap, moronic slop of a movie. The villains are amazingly stupid and mean-spirited, with motivations that wouldn't make sense to a rock. The story is crap. The characters are beyond forgettable. And the sharks, in a movie that is supposed to be focusing on them, feel less like the center of this thoughtless fart and more like minimalist gimmicks slipped in at the last minute.

However, I cannot leave my opinion of this movie at that, because the villains' scheme in this turd is absolutely mind-boggling. By introducing sharks into a local lake, and filming them feast upon innocent teenagers they kidnap and throw to them, they intend on producing a reality show ala "Shark Week" (which is not my comparison, that's what they use in the movie) and becoming filthy rich off it. And not one single aspect of this half-assed plan makes remotely any sense. Why the hell would you try and pull something like this off in a LAKE? These are not freshwater sharks they're using - these are hammerheads and great whites, which live only in the ocean. If they were discovered, it would be obvious someone put them there. Boom, plan's dead. And what makes them think a show like this would even air? Their intent is to market this as actual reality, not faked. They really believe any major television network is going to throw their asses off a cliff and produce a garbage show like that? Do they have any idea how rejected that would be by the majority of people? And of all the people you could imagine to concoct such an infantile idea, we get a greedy sheriff, a dumb horny redneck who seems to get off from feeding girls to sharks, and an overcompensating pansy bastard of a teenage guy who's pissed off at some girl for scratching his face when she was trying not to drown . . . . because that was TOTALLY part of some evil plan to rob him of his honor or respect or whatever the hell he's griping about. I don't know, I don't care - let's just see 'em go in the water and get ripped to bloody shreds by those cheap-ass shark effects already. It won't be a violent enough death to satisfy me after all this brainlessness, but at least they'll be gone. The heroes aren't that intelligent either - the main girl gets put in a shark cage to be fed, but there's this huge friggin' gap all around it she can EASILY swim through, or at least grab the guy's gun and blow his head off.

Trust me - do NOT waste your time with this movie. It insults your intelligence in every way and is perhaps the least creative and least thought-out plot I have ever seen in a movie in my life. Complete trash.
  4. Sep 5, 2011
    This film was shockingly bad and the worst film I have ever experienced. I can't believe someone would even put their name on this film, in fear of complete embarrassment. The storyline was weak and pathetic - Avoid and save your money!
  5. Oct 1, 2011
    There is nothing new but Shark Night 3D is very entertaining.
  6. Feb 14, 2012
    This is what you call a film?! Nothing but the blood-thirsty, animated big ocean fishes in a lake? I wasted my time around, so just warning people to save your money to do something more serious than just see this bloody mess.
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    Yeah, okay, so there are an unbelievable number of different species of shark in this film, most of the popular ones and a few of the less popular, but I could still find some enjoyment in this film. As expected, the acting is fair to weak, the story is ridiculous, and the effects could be better. The 3D was okay, though this film in HD is impressive. The film tries too hard to beYeah, okay, so there are an unbelievable number of different species of shark in this film, most of the popular ones and a few of the less popular, but I could still find some enjoyment in this film. As expected, the acting is fair to weak, the story is ridiculous, and the effects could be better. The 3D was okay, though this film in HD is impressive. The film tries too hard to be something that it is not. At least Piranha 3D went all out with the gore, nudity, and an all-star cast. Yet, I still found this one slightly enjoyable for a nice 90 minute distraction. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2012
    It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Shark Night 3D is awful. Its theatrical release is due entirely to the success of Piranha 3D, but it lacks Piranha's bite; sure, that movie was a nasty, semi-soft-core misogynist piece of trash, but at least it delivered on its promise of decidedly R-rated nudity and gore. Shark Night offers neither, instead throwing in an even more preposterousIt shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Shark Night 3D is awful. Its theatrical release is due entirely to the success of Piranha 3D, but it lacks Piranha's bite; sure, that movie was a nasty, semi-soft-core misogynist piece of trash, but at least it delivered on its promise of decidedly R-rated nudity and gore. Shark Night offers neither, instead throwing in an even more preposterous plot, even blander actors playing duller characters, and teases where Piranha came through. There's also overuse of MTV-style editing to let viewers know the characters are having fun, because anyone watching certainly won't be enjoying themselves. Put David R. Ellis at the helm and what you've got is a recipe for disaster. The ineptitude is clear from the opening sequence, which rips off of the opening sequence in Jaws. The attack is unclear and fairly unconvincing; where the effect of pulling someone through the water to simulate a shark attack was new in '75, here it feels obviously dated and, well, boring. The subsequent attacks are similarly handled, with characters simply being dragged underwater and no clear details, though some sequences feature horrible special effects and laughably unrealistic shark behavior. The plot comes second to the shark attacks, yet takes up most of the film's running time. College students venture to a lake house for Spring Break, only to find the waters fairly shark-infested. Might this have anything to do with the creepy, foreboding locals? Too much time is spent getting from one place to another, especially when a thinking audience can figure that most escape attempts won't play in favor of the college-aged shark bait. The 3D is hardly used, and when it is, the effect is hampered by the inability to properly frame the action. In the end, Shark Night 3D is a waste of your time and money. If you're really in the mood for a shark flick, you're much better off waiting for SyFy to have a Terror-in-the-Water weekend. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2012
    At first I was like , yeah its going okay ! but as soon as the shark started to doing its think soon the movie went to hell & I mean Deep bloody hell . The movie had the two hostess girl Sara Paxton & Katharine McPhee but didn't help coz of a bad script . Piranha 3D was an awesome movie , it could be too but it was one of the worst shark movie ever ! Writing , Directing , Acting was so badAt first I was like , yeah its going okay ! but as soon as the shark started to doing its think soon the movie went to hell & I mean Deep bloody hell . The movie had the two hostess girl Sara Paxton & Katharine McPhee but didn't help coz of a bad script . Piranha 3D was an awesome movie , it could be too but it was one of the worst shark movie ever ! Writing , Directing , Acting was so bad . Only the shooting location was really awesome but this did help coz without this amazing view I couldn't see the whole movie . Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2011
    I was actually a fan of Pirannha 3D, so I thought this would be similarly fun while being stupid. Unfortunately, it was all stupid and no fun. Can't believe they made it PG-13, such a cynical ploy that took away any of the gore/nudity that might have helped.
  11. Mar 3, 2013
    One of the worst movies you'll ever see. The plot was incredibly stupid, the abilities of the sharks were ridiculous, and the characters and development was pathetically cliche. The only reason I gave this a 2/10 instead of a 1 is that the acting wasn't all that bad and because Sara Paxton and Katharine McPhee are super hot. Don't bother wasting 90 minutes of your time on this piece of crap.
  12. Feb 1, 2013
    A weekend escape turns deadly for a group of college students when they encounter a group of man-eating sharks in the waters surrounding their remote island getaway! Make no mistake about it, the PG-13 rating for SHARK NIGHT clearly designates both the intended audience and the level of intelligence behind the script. Every attempt to make this movie "hip" for the younger generationsA weekend escape turns deadly for a group of college students when they encounter a group of man-eating sharks in the waters surrounding their remote island getaway! Make no mistake about it, the PG-13 rating for SHARK NIGHT clearly designates both the intended audience and the level of intelligence behind the script. Every attempt to make this movie "hip" for the younger generations instead comes off as being trite and cliche, and every move the characters make is utterly predictable... That is, up until the ridiculous final act. Technology has apparently devolved once again, considering that the computerized sharks in SHARK NIGHT look worse than those created 13 years ago in DEEP BLUE SEA. It is also sad to think that a film like this could ever have made it in to theaters, when the quality of the overall production falls behind many of the awful made-for-TV movies that drown the SyFy channel yearly. At least with the 2010 PIRANHA remake, Alexandre Aja knew enough to play up the high camp in the picture, and delivered an abusive amount of gore. There is no fun to be had anywhere in SHARK NIGHT, and it is nearly bloodless. Do not waste your time on this pathetic film. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    I couldn't help but grin when when the shark jumped twenty feet into the air out of the water, snatching a boy from a tree and swimming into the lake's depths to consume him.
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    The thing that stinks most is that it had so much potential to be good. It's not that it wasn't entertaining, it's just that every other problem was wrong with it. The acting wasn't very believable, the special effects were mediocre, it has almost zero originality, and how unrealistic it is. I mean seriously. 5 seconds after someone gets into the water they get eaten by a shark. Like thatThe thing that stinks most is that it had so much potential to be good. It's not that it wasn't entertaining, it's just that every other problem was wrong with it. The acting wasn't very believable, the special effects were mediocre, it has almost zero originality, and how unrealistic it is. I mean seriously. 5 seconds after someone gets into the water they get eaten by a shark. Like that would happen. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Sep 8, 2011
    About as humorless – and joyless – as they come.
  2. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Sep 3, 2011
    Aspires to nothing more or less than carrying along an audience through a string of unremarkable kills, often involving high-jumping fish.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Sep 3, 2011
    Heartlessness, stupidity, cynicism, and greed are a demoralizing combination for movie-going. We pay to see a movie that doesn't respect us for being there at all.