Shaun of the Dead

8.6

1. Aug 15, 2010
    This movie is bloody brilliant. Action-packed, hilarious and gory. The writing is funny, the acting is great, and the directing is superb. I highly recommend it.
  2. Oct 13, 2010
    Shaun of the Dead has to be one of the funniest movies ever made. Simon Pegg and Nick frost make for an awesome comedic duo, as also seen in Hot Fuzz.
    The movie manages to give laughs, as well as being somewhat frightening and touching at points.
    9/10, great piece of art!
  3. Apr 12, 2011
    This movie is a match made in Heaven, Zombies and comedy, it will surprise you how funny, but yet just as brutal as any other Zombie movie, I have to admit some of the emotional parts feel awkward amongst the jokes, but this is still a movie I highly recommend to fans of Zombies, and comedies in general, a fantastic movie.
  4. Jun 30, 2011
    Refreshing take on the zombie genre although the zombies are a bit overly stupid. (Although, who's to say that's not realism!) The gags are well done the humour well mixed with the gore, the acting is solid and overall a very enjoyable horror comedy.
  5. Gnarles
    Jan 20, 2006
    The first hour or so is great fun, but when the characters get barracaded in a bar for the climax, the movie flames out and becomes exactly what it has been making fun of. The actual ending is amusing, though. "Player 2 has joined the game..."
  6. JTon
    Apr 21, 2007
    Best zombie take ever. Extra points for Queen music. Just Ridiculously Funny.
  7. Nov 5, 2010
    A truly amazing film by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. The storyline is easy to follow. The characters are very well thought up, and the acting is superb. Shaun of the Dead is both humorous and gory and the balance is well designed. The editing, especially â
  8. Jul 30, 2011
    A comedy that is best shown with a group of friends on a boring Saturday night because it will soon turn into one with great laughter. An innovative comedy that blends the horrors of a zombie apocalypse and makes it seem like in the event of breakout, life wouldn't be so bad.
  9. Oct 22, 2011
    This a great zombie film full of blood, guts and funny moments. It can be hard to pull of a horror and comedy all in one, but this film does it well. The film isn't scary, but the zombies do look freaky. An alright storyline and plot, and played well by the actors. The action scenes are good, mostly filled with comedy. It's violent, horrible and bloody, it's Shaun Of The Dead!
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    An incredibly entertaining comedy that manages to keep my interest despite seeing it at least a dozen times. The fact that it still holds up after all these years tells you how good it is.
  11. May 1, 2012
    This is a great movie. The jokes are well timed and witty. The pacing is excellent and it seemed to me that the movie lasts shorter than it does. Simon Pegg is excellent and quite believable as a Shaun the hero. The movie is a real refreshment in the Zombie genre.
  12. Sep 24, 2012
    Shaun of the Dead is a romantic zombie horror comedy movie about two men, one called Shaun and the other called Ed they are best friends, they like to stay home, lounge about drink coffee and play video games. Shaun wants to get back together with his ex girlfriend. He soon finds out that a zombie apocalypse is happening and he starts getting worried about his family, friends and of courseShaun of the Dead is a romantic zombie horror comedy movie about two men, one called Shaun and the other called Ed they are best friends, they like to stay home, lounge about drink coffee and play video games. Shaun wants to get back together with his ex girlfriend. He soon finds out that a zombie apocalypse is happening and he starts getting worried about his family, friends and of course his ex girlfriend. This movie is very funny you will have a lot of laughs. I like it because it is a more comedic take on a zombie movie which hasn Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is hands-down one of the best movies of the 21st Century. Brilliantly funny and genuinely scary at points. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are amazing.
  14. Feb 10, 2014
    An amazing film starting off an amazing film series. This film is perfect, and the best in the trilogy. The humour is great, and the action sequences are also great. The character development is good. There are so many little touches in the films you may not notice, which make the film completely perfect, and in my opinion, the best film ever made.
  15. Chimp
    Oct 10, 2004
    Not only was this movie bloody hilarious (pun intended), but believe it or not, it actually was very artistic. its not just a comedy/horror movie. its very well made, even though it wont win any oscars. the second best movie ive seen this year after eternal sunshine.
  16. HeywoodJ.
    Oct 4, 2004
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, and also one of the few movies in recent years to live up to the buzz it's generated.
  17. NathanG.
    Aug 1, 2005
    This is the best movie ever! Should have won every Oscar, including awards like documentary! Tons of subtle (and not so subtle) references to all kinds of things. It's a smash hit romantic comedy- with zombies.
  18. DanB.
    Oct 10, 2004
    It was funny, a little scary, and even... strangely touching. In the end it's all down to characters: this movie actually bothers to build them and define them, and give them back stories - not like Sky Captain, for example, whose idea of character definition is naming the character. Shaun is one of the better movies this year.
  19. RobertH.
    Oct 4, 2004
    As much as I hate to jump on any movie band wagon, I must say that this is the best MOVIE I've seen since "Spiderman2". Now I am not a fan in particular of any genre, I love to laugh and I love to be shocked, but not to the point of almost thowing up. This movie managed to accomplish both for me and my semi-reluctant wife who I could tell before we went to the movie she wasn't As much as I hate to jump on any movie band wagon, I must say that this is the best MOVIE I've seen since "Spiderman2". Now I am not a fan in particular of any genre, I love to laugh and I love to be shocked, but not to the point of almost thowing up. This movie managed to accomplish both for me and my semi-reluctant wife who I could tell before we went to the movie she wasn't too excited about seeing a ZOM-ROM-COM, especially with a bunch of British people using unfamiliar slang. But I'm getting off of the point, "Shaun of the Dead" is one those rare movies that manage to accomplish what they set out to do. This movie is a one of a kind gem and though I am sure it will be immitated at one point in time or another, I highly doubt it can be duplicated. Especiall Mr. Pegg (Shaun) who after this movie I did a web search of other movies he was in. Expand
  20. TarvB.
    Sep 25, 2004
    I went in not expecting much. The movie made me laugh so hard I almost cried at several different times. This has to be the most original comedy I've ever seen.
  21. MattA
    Jun 4, 2005
    This has to be one of my favorite movies of all time! The two things that i love most, Zombies, and comedy... and if your fans of both of those genres then you'll love this movie. The actors are all great and the comedy is above average in intellegence. One of my top 10.
  22. Lars
    Jul 15, 2005
    One of those movies that is even better the second time you watch it, or third, fourth, and seventeenth. It is extremely funny for fans of George Romero like myself, as there are many inside jokes that appeal to fans of the Dead movies. Ed-" Were coming to get you Barbara!" Very well thought out.
    Mar 24, 2006
    A lighthearted zombie take. Wish there was more gun action. I'd like to see a zombie film where survivors fight off the zombies with assault rifles, miniguns, RPGs, etc, a starship troopers with zombie instead of aliens.
  24. IanReyP
    Oct 19, 2008
    It's a dumb comedy. And mixed with horror. Just inventive! No movie like it. I had a good laugh, and a little scare. The music was just great!
  25. MuttD.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Funny, touching, serious, and even at times scary. It hits all the best spots from the romantic comedy and zombie genres.
  26. AndrewG
    Jun 23, 2009
    Will go down as the best horror comedy of all time.
  27. GaborA.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Horror comedies minus a very small handfull are usually neither funny nor scary. Ironically, this film which paradises those films is both. Solid directing and jokes that evoke laughs using almost every form of comedy i can think of make this movie stand on its own.
  28. DanT.
    Oct 12, 2004
    Great comic instincts.
  29. JamesD.
    Oct 13, 2004
    Its A Pure Classic, a Brilliant mix of genres, If you didnt like this film then you wanted to hate it form the start either that r you hate the british either way swallow your pride and keep your mouth shut. Best Bit: Killing the Landlord Zombie in time to queen. bythe way i am british and i highly reccomend getting the dvd whichc is already out here and is jam packed with extras such as Its A Pure Classic, a Brilliant mix of genres, If you didnt like this film then you wanted to hate it form the start either that r you hate the british either way swallow your pride and keep your mouth shut. Best Bit: Killing the Landlord Zombie in time to queen. bythe way i am british and i highly reccomend getting the dvd whichc is already out here and is jam packed with extras such as 4 different comentaries. and Plot Holes "what really did happen to shaun when he ran off with the zombies?????????" Expand
  30. MattH.
    Oct 18, 2004
    The funniest movie for a long time. Simon Pegg is a genius.
  31. MichaelM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    A very original and very hysterical zombie movie from the U.K. Although it wasn't as good as I expected, it still kept me interested and in stitches most of the runtime of the film. Even though I liked it, a lot of viewers won't. It takes a very off-beat sense of humor to get the wit behind Simon Pegg's Shaun of the Dead. It also takes a very dark sense of humor to enjoy A very original and very hysterical zombie movie from the U.K. Although it wasn't as good as I expected, it still kept me interested and in stitches most of the runtime of the film. Even though I liked it, a lot of viewers won't. It takes a very off-beat sense of humor to get the wit behind Simon Pegg's Shaun of the Dead. It also takes a very dark sense of humor to enjoy it. You may be fooled when it's labeled comedy, but this so called comedy has more gore then you could imagine! But for those of you with a off-beat dark sense of humor, will marvel this film. And that's a promise. Expand
  32. AlejandroL.
    Oct 3, 2004
    My friend literally dragged me to this movie b/c i thought it was going to be another Zombie sorry movie, but wow, this is a smart, intelligent, and very well made film. Already believe it to be a classic and definitive cult hit. For those who think it is something regurgetated, it is not, it is new, exciting, and definitely refreshing. check it out!
  33. DonnaA.
    Oct 7, 2004
    I thought is was funny. I am not a zombie movie person. And I did have trouble with the ecky bloody stuff. But I wanted to see it any way. Donna A.
  34. DanP.
    Very clever.
  35. DevynS.
    Sep 24, 2004
    It was actually very funny despite the gore. The budget looked like it was fairly low but they really pulled it off.
  36. SteveH.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Ever wondered if you could combine a horror movie, comedy, love story and buddy movie into one? Well, the makers of this movie have succeeded and you will enjoy every bit of it. I haven't laughed out loud like this for a while and then on the other hand, my wife let out the loudest shrieks I've heard in a while.
  37. SeanK.
    Sep 26, 2004
    It's rare that movie can make you scream with laughter and scream with horror within minutes of each other. The comic timing and physical comedy could not have been better. The emotions felt genuine. Loved the zomie lesson. It was a scream!
  38. JeffL.
    Sep 29, 2004
    The award for Year's Best Title goes to this funny, good-natured spoof of George Romero's classic, blood-spattered zombie trilogy as well as recent variations like Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. Simon Pegg agreeably plays Shaun, a London appliance salesman who breaks up with his girlfriend and spends the night boozing with his chubby, dim-bulb best friend, Ed. Next day, it The award for Year's Best Title goes to this funny, good-natured spoof of George Romero's classic, blood-spattered zombie trilogy as well as recent variations like Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. Simon Pegg agreeably plays Shaun, a London appliance salesman who breaks up with his girlfriend and spends the night boozing with his chubby, dim-bulb best friend, Ed. Next day, it slowly dawns on Shaun and Ed that the flesh-eating living dead have taken over. Using such unorthodox weapons as a cricket bat and a Sade album, they make their way cross-town to rescue loved ones. If you're one who dismisses British humor as too dry, just check out this film's over-the-top gore, profanity, and fart jokes; Merchant-Ivory this isn't. But it made me laugh more than any other film I've seen in months. And I really enjoyed the sight gags at the beginning and end wherein director Edgar Wright demonstrates just how much zombie-like behavior exists in our everyday lives. Expand
  39. ZachG
    Sep 29, 2004
    A very intelligent movie -- possibly the smartest spoof out there. Character-centered and full of double-meanings, social commentary and good old wit, Shaun is a very impressive blend of the humor without demeaning the material it's satirizing.
  40. KariS
    Jan 13, 2005
    Wildly fun and entertaining, right up the alley for someone with offbeat wit and an appreciation for a remarkable number of cameos from British tv.
  41. TravisR.
    Jan 17, 2005
    For lack of a better word, perfect. A cult clasic, everyone who has watched this movie with me have caught themselves saying something funny from this movie.
  42. ArmandoS.
    Feb 26, 2005
    I liked this movie better than DAWN OF THE DEAD, even though it was a much lower budget movie. The characters were more appealing and it was much funnier. Recommended.
  43. MaxB
    Jul 18, 2005
    Pitch perfect is right. A delightfully refreshing movie which hits all the right notes. Uproariusly funny in spots, but also contains much dry humor. Not just for Romero fans.
  44. RDalvi
    Oct 26, 2006
    Very good zombie movie. not so scary but there is enough humor and eye-candy for horror lovers too make it a memorable view.
  45. JayF.
    Feb 25, 2006
    This film joins the ranks of other such horror movie parodies/homages the likes of Young Frankenstein. I agree with George Romero when he said "An Absolute Blast!". This movie will forever remain a cult classic like the original Night of the Living Dead.
  46. RobertS.
    May 15, 2007
    This is clearly the best zombie parody I have ever seen, it beats actual zombie movies by a long shot!
  47. LeahT
    Apr 13, 2008
    Perhaps what is so endearing about this film, aside from the ceaseless humor and the spatterings of fun gore, is the fact that the viewers find themselves sincerely attached to the characters and their plights...the film is able to leap from hysteria-humor to seriousness in a second when Pegg and his cohorts will it. A brilliant film that is actually quite a bit better than any other Perhaps what is so endearing about this film, aside from the ceaseless humor and the spatterings of fun gore, is the fact that the viewers find themselves sincerely attached to the characters and their plights...the film is able to leap from hysteria-humor to seriousness in a second when Pegg and his cohorts will it. A brilliant film that is actually quite a bit better than any other zombie film I've ever seen. Expand
  48. MichaelC
    Jun 27, 2009
    I find Shaun of the Dead to be a wonderful satire of zombie movies, with witty humor and a hilarious plot line, yet it was still able to retain the traditional survivor-mentality. I think both Pegg and Frost played great idiot-saviors in the film, and Moran's role as the resistor and eventually the next meal was hilariously stunning. He had it coming.
  49. BradyH.
    Sep 7, 2009
    My favorite zombie movie of all time. Stays respectful to its inspiration through the hilarious parody.
  50. PrestonF.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Mindless dirty fun!
  51. Rico
    Dec 22, 2004
    More fun than I expected and the best comedy of 2004.
  52. ChrisR.
    Dec 23, 2004
    The most fun I've had at the movies in a long time...
  53. VinceH.
    Sep 24, 2004
    I have been a huge fan of Simon Pegg since his brilliant BBC show "Spaced" and this movie was written by him, has the same director (Edgar Wright) and a lot of the cast members from that show. It also has 2 actors from "The Office" and the writer/star of "Black Books". Needless to say as a Britcom fan this movie was heaven to me. Hilarious and sweet as well, this blows all the other I have been a huge fan of Simon Pegg since his brilliant BBC show "Spaced" and this movie was written by him, has the same director (Edgar Wright) and a lot of the cast members from that show. It also has 2 actors from "The Office" and the writer/star of "Black Books". Needless to say as a Britcom fan this movie was heaven to me. Hilarious and sweet as well, this blows all the other Hollywood coms (Anchorman, Dodgeball, Harold & Kumar, Starsky, etc.) out of the water. Don't miss this movie if it's playing near you. Collapse
  54. AaronS
    Sep 25, 2004
    This is a damn near perfect blend of comedy and horror. A pitch perfect spoof of the zombie pictures as well as a cool example of one itself. Absolutely fun. GREAT ending.
  55. MikeC.
    Sep 27, 2004
    I Love this movie so much! As Lenny Maltin would say, "A near brilliant mixture of humor and horror". If you don't like gore though stay away because it becomes full-on Saviniesque towards the end and the blood and body parts fly fast and furious.I really think they should call more attention to that fact just to avoid people whining about it and walking out.
  56. ChristopherN.
    Sep 28, 2004
    Fresh and completely fun. A good z-movie unlike the crappy Dawn of the Dead remake.
  57. TomekZ
    Dec 21, 2005
    Great humour, editing, soundtrack and all the subtilties.
  58. Billy
    Feb 27, 2005
    Funny and some humorous gore. buy it now! just turn on the subtitles.
  59. KevinE.
    Mar 15, 2005
    If you made this much effort to read our amateur reviews of this movie then go rent it already! You're going to love it. This is a movie to watch with others when you are feeling good about hating the whole stupid world. And it is a great example of a really clever film that doesn't see itself coming, and so it becomes completely genuine and loveable for it, no matter the gore. If you made this much effort to read our amateur reviews of this movie then go rent it already! You're going to love it. This is a movie to watch with others when you are feeling good about hating the whole stupid world. And it is a great example of a really clever film that doesn't see itself coming, and so it becomes completely genuine and loveable for it, no matter the gore. Hey, BECAUSE of the gore! Expand
  60. DemonicAngel
    Apr 15, 2005
    From the creators of surreal UK TV comedy "Spaced", "Shaun Of The Dead" superbly parodies the whole "living dead" genre but also stands out as a very good film in its own right. The humour is quite British and might not appeal quite so much to Americans, as it contains a lot of cultural references as well as sight gags and impeccably-timed jokes. However, I was surprised to discover the From the creators of surreal UK TV comedy "Spaced", "Shaun Of The Dead" superbly parodies the whole "living dead" genre but also stands out as a very good film in its own right. The humour is quite British and might not appeal quite so much to Americans, as it contains a lot of cultural references as well as sight gags and impeccably-timed jokes. However, I was surprised to discover the film actually becomes better the more you watch it. There is a lot (and I mean a LOT) of self-referential humour recalling events earlier in the film, and you might well miss a lot of it on a first viewing. it's easy to see that everyone really went the extra mile with this film. Production values are top-notch, with very good effects for what must have been a fairly low budget, and all the actors give spot-on performances. Complaints about the plot can be defused easily thus - it's a freakin' zombie movie, and since when did a zombie movie EVER have a plot to speak of? Highly recommended to fans of "Spaced", horror movie freaks, and pretty much everyone with a sense of humour. (Oh, and it's infinitely better than the latter-day remake of "Dawn of the Dead", which was so irredeemably dreadful that I utterly gave up on it after an hour or so.) Expand
  61. MichaelS.
    Jul 25, 2005
    Hilarity and Zombies!!!! Loved it Thanks Simon Pegg.
  62. Jared
    Feb 19, 2006
    I'm sorry but you'd have to be retarded not in some way to like this movie. It's witty, gory, all around intelligent portrayal of zombies in a city already populated by living zombies is brilliant.
  63. Jan
    Apr 19, 2007
    This movie made me lough hard and often. Really good comedy.
  64. BillB.
    Apr 25, 2007
    Ever Since I saw Dawn of the Dead, I knew that horror movies had a spoof coming and Shaun of the Dead was that perfect spoof. And with the Zombie violence not too unbareable to watch, The movie really made you believe that it was really happening, and these two slackers were actually saving their little town. Overall this was a hilarious movie, with some good action, and probably one of Ever Since I saw Dawn of the Dead, I knew that horror movies had a spoof coming and Shaun of the Dead was that perfect spoof. And with the Zombie violence not too unbareable to watch, The movie really made you believe that it was really happening, and these two slackers were actually saving their little town. Overall this was a hilarious movie, with some good action, and probably one of the best endings in movie history. It's a definite must see and if you want to see some Zombies eatin' some brains and a good laugh, watch this movie. Expand
  65. AverageCriticUK
    Apr 29, 2009
    For a British film, Shaun of the Dead hits the spot, particularly as a lot of the horror movies have come from America, zombies in particular. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright have written the film realistically and added in the homages and traits in a way that doesn't make it look too much like mass advertising or copying. Gore is bearable and the ending with the British Army culling the For a British film, Shaun of the Dead hits the spot, particularly as a lot of the horror movies have come from America, zombies in particular. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright have written the film realistically and added in the homages and traits in a way that doesn't make it look too much like mass advertising or copying. Gore is bearable and the ending with the British Army culling the zombies has remained one of my all-time favourite horror movie scenes. While some of the jokes do not always appeal to all ages, the film largely increased my interest in the zombie genre. All in all, it makes a good homage and it's good to see Britain is capable of making good films after all. Expand
  66. MarkB.
    Nov 23, 2004
    I'm not sure what this says sociologically, but between Danny Boyle's gritty, down-and-dirty answer to George A. Romero's Living Dead trilogy, 28 Days Later, Zak Snyder's acetylene-fueled Dawn of the Dead remake, and new, feature-laden DVD rereleases of Lucio Fulci's Zombie and Romero's Day of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead (the latter box set managing to be I'm not sure what this says sociologically, but between Danny Boyle's gritty, down-and-dirty answer to George A. Romero's Living Dead trilogy, 28 Days Later, Zak Snyder's acetylene-fueled Dawn of the Dead remake, and new, feature-laden DVD rereleases of Lucio Fulci's Zombie and Romero's Day of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead (the latter box set managing to be even more elaborate than the recent one for Gone With The Wind!!) both 2003 and 2004 appear to have been The Years Of The Flesh-Eating Ghouls. Now comes this absolutely delightful, surprisingly rather sweet-natured spoof-but-not-quite-one extension of Romero's work, in which the zombies, who in Boyle's and Snyder's work seem to be washing down cartons of speed with NOS stolen from the street racers in The Fast and the Furious, slow back down to the pace that God and Romero would have them move at: one flesh-eater isn't that hard to elude, but a whole platoon of them is a powerful illustration of the truism "there is no 'I' in team"! Lower-middle-class drone Shaun (Simon Pegg) not too successfully juggles commitments to his longsuffering girlfriend (the charming Kate Ashfield, whose singularly unique way of saying "goodbye" is about as adorable as it gets) and his uberslacker roommate/drinking buddy (Nick Frost); this and other relationships are reshuffled when the living dead appear on the scene. Director Edgar Wright's account of what happens next is scrupulously respectful of Romero's original ideas and concepts: the attempts to reprogram and reincorporate the undead into society from Day of the Dead; the significance of the neighborhood pub not only being a central theatre for action but fulfilling the social and emotional needs of its patrons as the mall did in Dawn of the Dead; and, most poignantly, the realization from 1968's original Night of the Living Dead that, once afflicted, your loved ones aren't your loved ones anymore. A self-proclaimed "rom-com-zom" with plenty of rom and com to balance out and accentuate the zom, Shaun of the Dead is romantic without being saccharine, satiric without being heavyhanded, extravagantly gory without being offensive, and very British without being unapproachable to us Yanks. The ultimate compliment to this gem came from a young, twentysomething woman in my audience who took her grandmother (!!!) to see it; when it ended, the young lady commented that she didn't normally like or seek out horror movies but was really glad she saw this one...and the grandmother genuinely liked it too! Very fitting praise for a movie that not only trumps Boyle's and Snyder's treatments of the subject (as much as I enjoyed and admired both of them) but is a better, more supremely entertaining movie than all but a handful or two of 2004 releases that DIDN'T feature flesh-eating ghouls! Expand
  67. KevinY.
    Nov 14, 2005
    Great movie. Like a mix of Spaced, Monty Python, Night of The Living Dead, and a Staurday with my friends while we LARP a zombie outbreak. Very funny. I like Brittish humour. I find it as the "thinking man's" humour. Watch the movie and you'll either love it, or hate it.
  68. Sep 10, 2011
    Other than the "Simon Pegg+Nick Frost" performance combo, "Shaun of the Dead" throws in humor, a humor that applies to every kind of problems we have; politics, life, love and so on. A zombie movie that is humorously scary to watch.
  69. cpmanc.
    Oct 31, 2006
    One of the best zombie movies ever. The death parts were very funny!
  70. Mar 11, 2011
    Great British zombie horror comedy that I ever seen. Everyone is hilarious and they have the funniest catchphrases.
  71. Nov 6, 2011
    British humour at it's best. What kind of person couldn't adore such awesome characters mixed in with the most dangerous situation known to humanity. I still can't believe that there is red on reviews. sex on a disc!
  72. Mar 2, 2011
    Unbelievably funny. I saw this just a year ago and screamed in laughter. These actors were so funny and had great comedic timing. It is bloody even for the TV version so for R, you are probably in for some gruesome scenes. The storyline, even if it is a spoof of the classic "Dawn of the Dead" was original and brilliantly written.
  73. May 2, 2011
    Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright could be described as the new Three Stooges, having given us so many wonderfully funny treats each year. However, their 2004 "romzomcom" shot them to stardom and single-handedly managed to revive British horror. Shaun is a young man working in an electrical store has a rocky relationship with his mum, his girlfriend Liz is on the verge of dumping himSimon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright could be described as the new Three Stooges, having given us so many wonderfully funny treats each year. However, their 2004 "romzomcom" shot them to stardom and single-handedly managed to revive British horror. Shaun is a young man working in an electrical store has a rocky relationship with his mum, his girlfriend Liz is on the verge of dumping him and his best mate Ed is a complete slob who spends his days on Shaun's couch playing videogames and drinking beer, When he finally decides to get off his feet and sort his life out, a zombie invasion takes place but Shaun merely sees it as another obstacle. When he rounds up his family and friends and takes them to his local pub to try and survive the night. A real treat for all fans of British comedy and at the same time a gorefest that harkens back to the days of Peter Jackson's Braindead. Bloody brilliant. Expand
  74. JenniferT.
    Oct 30, 2004
    Very funny, smart and another movie that will make you stay away from big budget flicks for good.
  75. JamesT.
    Oct 6, 2004
    It is the best zombie movie ever! The fact it has the Romantic comedy thrown in as well only adds to the coolness.
  76. RossW
    Sep 19, 2004
    I saw a screening of this movie the other night, and its was amazing. By far the funniest movie i have seen all year or even the best movie ive seen all year.
  77. JeffreyL.
    Sep 24, 2004
    As a Brit I'm really glad that the American critics liked SotD. It deserves all the credit it gets and it has to be one of the best British movies of recent years. If you liked this movie look out for Simon Pegg's TV series 'Spaced' this is one of the best TV shows from the UK and although only two seasons were made it is an essential addition to any film geeks dvd As a Brit I'm really glad that the American critics liked SotD. It deserves all the credit it gets and it has to be one of the best British movies of recent years. If you liked this movie look out for Simon Pegg's TV series 'Spaced' this is one of the best TV shows from the UK and although only two seasons were made it is an essential addition to any film geeks dvd collection. Also look out for the SotD DVD, I have the R2 version and it is absolutely packed with great extras (theres so much stuff on there! like video diaries from the cast members zombie auditions and the funny tv skits seen in the film like the 'Trisha' chat show and 'it's a zombie knockout') Don't miss this movie, not only is it a good zombie comedy faithful to the classic Romero movies but it offers a remarkably good reflection of what it's like to be a young and indifferent Londoner. Expand
  78. BlancoA.
    Sep 27, 2004
    A must-see for fans of Zombie flicks, Survival Horror (and FPS) games, and "Clerks"-style buddy flicks. The acting is uniformly excellent, and the social commentary is much more sly than that of "Dawn". The relationship between the lead character and his slovenly flatmate was much more touching than I thought it would be and was reminicent of the guys in Clerks. Just check it out.
  79. alane
    Jan 15, 2005
    For zombie movie lovers of all ages.
  80. ChristinaC
    Jan 24, 2005
    One of the best, funniest films I've seen in a long time!
  81. May 21, 2011
    i found this film very entertaining there was lots of goo humor in it and a little drama as well and i enjoyed every minute however i am not going to say it was perfect there were flaws but i have never actually seen any movie that is perfect in every way
  82. MichaelB.
    Oct 3, 2009
    Each time I watch this I find it funnier and funnier, and its bloody funny to begin with. Has to be in everyone's top 10 movies.
  83. Aug 28, 2014
    Shaun of the Dead was a real surprise for me. I never really expected to enjoy a zombie movie this much, but I did. Now the film is not great, but it is very entertaining. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Kate Ashfield, are all very good in their roles and their chemistry is great. The direction from Edgar Wright is smart and assured. The script is also very good and is loaded with wittyShaun of the Dead was a real surprise for me. I never really expected to enjoy a zombie movie this much, but I did. Now the film is not great, but it is very entertaining. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Kate Ashfield, are all very good in their roles and their chemistry is great. The direction from Edgar Wright is smart and assured. The script is also very good and is loaded with witty dialogue and laughs. The laughs are ultimately the king here, as without the comedy, this one is alright. The thrills and excitement during the zombie sequences are good and certianly very intense, but at times, it can get a bit too gory. There are a few scenes that come to mind particular as being particularly gory and very much over the top. While the humor and thrills are good, I do wish they had toned down that aspect a little. I get that there will be gore in a zombie movie, but this one went overboard in some scenes, which was too bad. Luckily, however, the whole package is solid and very well done. As my first Edgar Wright film, it was a nice introduction to him. Expand
  84. Jan 29, 2014
    Possibly my favourite movie ever! I can not say enough about how great this movie is. Everything about this movie is fantastic! Everyone should at least see this movie once.
  85. ZachL.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This movie was soooooo freaking funny! If you don't think this is funny, you are just too stupid to understand the humor behind it. I wasn't very scared, but then again I laughed during texas chainsaw massacre so... well my favorite movie of 2004.
  86. Nov 1, 2011
    After the first hour the movie lagged. The movie drew me in though at the beginning literally being too funny to fathom how they imitated the horror genre.
  87. Nov 1, 2010
    I find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie atI find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie at times. I might be able to give it a higher rating if I was a bigger fan of Gore and zombies. The Undead is just not the most appealing aspect of moviedom for me. Expand
  88. Apr 12, 2014
    Shaun is generally a nice guy but drives his girlfriend mad with his lack of ambition and insistence on spending every evening in the local pub. When London suddenly comes under attack from zombies Shaun realizes that, with the help of best friend Ed, it is his time to shine.

Shaun of the Dead is basically a spoof of the zombie movie genre but, unlike the terrible Scary Movie franchise; it shows a genuine understanding and love of the movies in which it spoofs. Featuring a great cast of British comic talent it is far funnier than the majority of comedy movies to come from this country (the duos attempts to imitate a zombie are simply hilarious).

Not lacking in gore and violence fans of horror films will find just as much entertainment as comedy fans in what has rightly become a cult classic.
  89. Aug 5, 2011
    I Have Nothing Negative To Say About This Movie At all. It Is The Perfect Movie For Me! It Has 3 Of My 4 Favourite Genres! Action, Horror and Comedy! (Its Only Missing sci-fi, Oh Wait, No it isn't! ZOMBIES!)
  90. Jul 24, 2012
    Plenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick andPlenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick and toilet humour either. This film enters straight through the middle instead. Although it had zombies in it, there was a lot of comedy because most things were played for laughs, but there were a few horrific moments. Makes Shaun's monotonous life much more exciting and probably anyone else's life as well. Take control of your life, like Shaun - even if it includes the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  91. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans ofThis is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans of mainly 'Zombie' movies and other gory horror-movies, will be entertained by this movie. I Actually don't watch any zombie movie... but I really really enjoy this one... Very entertaining from start till it run out of gas... Expand
  92. Aug 4, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is a charming film that is frequently entertaining and combines bloody zombie violence and witty satire in equal measure. This will surely please zombie fans and comedy fans unlike and still proves to be the best zombie comedy film in recent memory.
  93. Oct 22, 2013
    The first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed isThe first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed is holding him back. They sit and play video games, Shaun goes to work and is made fun of by his much younger colleagues, while also going through his life in sort of auto-pilot mode of repeating the same at ions day in and day out. The excellent refreshment of the film stems from what is really a subplot, that lead have risen as zombies and are eating the living, yet the constant bickering of these three, along with Liz's friends Dianne (Lucy Davis) and David (Dylan Moran) takes centre stage as they attempt to come up with plans at every turn in an attempt to get through a situation. The dark humour is particularly well written from Pegg and Wright, who also directs the film, his fast-paced and energetic style of filming adds heightened tension to otherwise menial scenes, these are definitely callbacks to zombie films of old, they need to get to a safe haven, which Shaun and Ed believe to be the local pub of course, is it so wrong to sit in relative comfort and drink free booze until an apocalypse blows over? The human element feels grounded and doesn't give way to too much zombie time, we get various situations of such routine where we even see Shaun walk to the shop and back without even noticing the people around him where zombies, it was funny, but it also showed a message of just how familiar people will be that we don't even notice change right in front of us. The witty britishness of it all is particularly fresh, a cup of tea will fix everything, while even in the most frightening of circumstances, jokes bar regulars and dead people not being your real dad can still hold a dark sense of comic relief, especially in a time of zombie overkill in the film industry, no pun intended. We have chemistry and urgency with the characters to get the point across, Pegg and Frost are the perfect duo, no matter how much Shaun wants to change, he can't say no to his best friend. Its a relief to see a different sort of apocalyptic film that centres much more on the people involved and how it affects their routine, especially in a hilarious and witty way. Expand
  94. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my all-time favorites.

This movie puts tongue firmly in cheek then has a zombie bite it off.

Wit, social commentary and geeky references galore make this a fun movie to watch with some mates.
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    It pushes the horror-comedy formula to new grounds, all the while being intelligent, funny, and occasionally emotional -- however sometimes too much so.
  96. Jul 26, 2013
    Both hilarious and gory Shaun of the Dead is both a successful comedy and zombie movie. Great acting by the entire cast and impeccable writing and directing by Edgar Wright.
  97. Oct 16, 2012
    Shaun of the dead : It's often said that the true character of a man is only revealed in times of dire crisis, and for likable, lovelorn loser Shaun (Simon Pegg), that moment of reckoning came when the dead rose from their slumber to feast on the flesh of the living. A hapless electronics store employee who spends most of his spare time downing pints at the local pub with his roommate, EdShaun of the dead : It's often said that the true character of a man is only revealed in times of dire crisis, and for likable, lovelorn loser Shaun (Simon Pegg), that moment of reckoning came when the dead rose from their slumber to feast on the flesh of the living. A hapless electronics store employee who spends most of his spare time downing pints at the local pub with his roommate, Ed (Nick Frost), Shaun's life seems to fall apart when he is dumped by his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield), and his obnoxious stepfather, Philip (Bill Nighy), shows up to berate him for not being more attentive to his caring mother Barbara (Penelope Wilton) -- especially since he forgot to send flowers for her birthday. Things take a turn for the worse when the dead return to stake their claim on the Earth, and though the chaos that follows threatens to swallow up all of England, it's up to Shaun to keep his cool and prove himself once and for all by successfully rescuing Liz and his mother. With his trusty roommate by his side, nothing -- not even the living dead -- can stand between Shaun and the two most important women in his life.
    Overall it
  98. May 4, 2013
    Every time I see this movie, I break out into laughter. This is one of the smartest, quirkiest, funniest movies I have ever seen. This is the best british film I have ever seen, and is one of my all time favorite movies.
  99. Jul 26, 2015
    Shaun of the Dead is the perfect picture of what friends and passion mixed with a healthy dose of pure comic talent can do. Shaun of the Dead is clever, funny, witty, and in the end; heartfelt.
  100. Jun 18, 2013
    A must watch. One of my all-time favorite movies.....................................................................................................................................................................................

1. A gleefully gory, pitch-perfect parody of George Romero's zombie films. But this isn't a movie about other movies. Shaun of the Dead stands on its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    Extremely funny, side splitting good time.
  3. Reviewed by: Ray Bennett
    It's worth sticking around for the coda too as it contains some hilarious and very politically incorrect suggestions as to how zombies might be put to work once they've been tamed.