8.5

1. Nov 1, 2011
    After the first hour the movie lagged. The movie drew me in though at the beginning literally being too funny to fathom how they imitated the horror genre.
  2. Nov 1, 2010
    I find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie atI find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie at times. I might be able to give it a higher rating if I was a bigger fan of Gore and zombies. The Undead is just not the most appealing aspect of moviedom for me. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    Shaun is generally a nice guy but drives his girlfriend mad with his lack of ambition and insistence on spending every evening in the local pub. When London suddenly comes under attack from zombies Shaun realizes that, with the help of best friend Ed, it is his time to shine.

Shaun of the Dead is basically a spoof of the zombie movie genre but, unlike the terrible Scary Movie franchise; it shows a genuine understanding and love of the movies in which it spoofs. Featuring a great cast of British comic talent it is far funnier than the majority of comedy movies to come from this country (the duos attempts to imitate a zombie are simply hilarious).

Not lacking in gore and violence fans of horror films will find just as much entertainment as comedy fans in what has rightly become a cult classic.
  4. Aug 5, 2011
    I Have Nothing Negative To Say About This Movie At all. It Is The Perfect Movie For Me! It Has 3 Of My 4 Favourite Genres! Action, Horror and Comedy! (Its Only Missing sci-fi, Oh Wait, No it isn't! ZOMBIES!)
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    Plenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick andPlenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick and toilet humour either. This film enters straight through the middle instead. Although it had zombies in it, there was a lot of comedy because most things were played for laughs, but there were a few horrific moments. Makes Shaun's monotonous life much more exciting and probably anyone else's life as well. Take control of your life, like Shaun - even if it includes the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans ofThis is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans of mainly 'Zombie' movies and other gory horror-movies, will be entertained by this movie. I Actually don't watch any zombie movie... but I really really enjoy this one... Very entertaining from start till it run out of gas... Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is a charming film that is frequently entertaining and combines bloody zombie violence and witty satire in equal measure. This will surely please zombie fans and comedy fans unlike and still proves to be the best zombie comedy film in recent memory.
  8. Oct 22, 2013
    The first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed isThe first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed is holding him back. They sit and play video games, Shaun goes to work and is made fun of by his much younger colleagues, while also going through his life in sort of auto-pilot mode of repeating the same at ions day in and day out. The excellent refreshment of the film stems from what is really a subplot, that lead have risen as zombies and are eating the living, yet the constant bickering of these three, along with Liz's friends Dianne (Lucy Davis) and David (Dylan Moran) takes centre stage as they attempt to come up with plans at every turn in an attempt to get through a situation. The dark humour is particularly well written from Pegg and Wright, who also directs the film, his fast-paced and energetic style of filming adds heightened tension to otherwise menial scenes, these are definitely callbacks to zombie films of old, they need to get to a safe haven, which Shaun and Ed believe to be the local pub of course, is it so wrong to sit in relative comfort and drink free booze until an apocalypse blows over? The human element feels grounded and doesn't give way to too much zombie time, we get various situations of such routine where we even see Shaun walk to the shop and back without even noticing the people around him where zombies, it was funny, but it also showed a message of just how familiar people will be that we don't even notice change right in front of us. The witty britishness of it all is particularly fresh, a cup of tea will fix everything, while even in the most frightening of circumstances, jokes bar regulars and dead people not being your real dad can still hold a dark sense of comic relief, especially in a time of zombie overkill in the film industry, no pun intended. We have chemistry and urgency with the characters to get the point across, Pegg and Frost are the perfect duo, no matter how much Shaun wants to change, he can't say no to his best friend. Its a relief to see a different sort of apocalyptic film that centres much more on the people involved and how it affects their routine, especially in a hilarious and witty way. Expand
  9. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my all-time favorites.

This movie puts tongue firmly in cheek then has a zombie bite it off.

Wit, social commentary and geeky references galore make this a fun movie to watch with some mates.
  10. Dec 29, 2012
    It pushes the horror-comedy formula to new grounds, all the while being intelligent, funny, and occasionally emotional -- however sometimes too much so.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Both hilarious and gory Shaun of the Dead is both a successful comedy and zombie movie. Great acting by the entire cast and impeccable writing and directing by Edgar Wright.
  12. Oct 16, 2012
    Shaun of the dead : It's often said that the true character of a man is only revealed in times of dire crisis, and for likable, lovelorn loser Shaun (Simon Pegg), that moment of reckoning came when the dead rose from their slumber to feast on the flesh of the living. A hapless electronics store employee who spends most of his spare time downing pints at the local pub with his roommate, EdShaun of the dead : It's often said that the true character of a man is only revealed in times of dire crisis, and for likable, lovelorn loser Shaun (Simon Pegg), that moment of reckoning came when the dead rose from their slumber to feast on the flesh of the living. A hapless electronics store employee who spends most of his spare time downing pints at the local pub with his roommate, Ed (Nick Frost), Shaun's life seems to fall apart when he is dumped by his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield), and his obnoxious stepfather, Philip (Bill Nighy), shows up to berate him for not being more attentive to his caring mother Barbara (Penelope Wilton) -- especially since he forgot to send flowers for her birthday. Things take a turn for the worse when the dead return to stake their claim on the Earth, and though the chaos that follows threatens to swallow up all of England, it's up to Shaun to keep his cool and prove himself once and for all by successfully rescuing Liz and his mother. With his trusty roommate by his side, nothing -- not even the living dead -- can stand between Shaun and the two most important women in his life.
    Overall it
  13. May 4, 2013
    Every time I see this movie, I break out into laughter. This is one of the smartest, quirkiest, funniest movies I have ever seen. This is the best british film I have ever seen, and is one of my all time favorite movies.
  14. Jun 18, 2013
    A must watch. One of my all-time favorite movies.....................................................................................................................................................................................
  15. Jul 16, 2013
    Great film. The comedy was great yet it wasn't too funny so as to shadow out the horror theme of the movie. Simon and nick are great comedic actors. Absolute British classic.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is clever, witty, and just as inventive as it is funny. It took what the world knew as a horror spoof and turned it on its end. It shaped the way we look at the horror/comedy genre and will continue to be at the top tier of the genre until another film like it is made. An absolute romp from start to finish that leaves you satisfied, but wanting more. A must see forShaun of the Dead is clever, witty, and just as inventive as it is funny. It took what the world knew as a horror spoof and turned it on its end. It shaped the way we look at the horror/comedy genre and will continue to be at the top tier of the genre until another film like it is made. An absolute romp from start to finish that leaves you satisfied, but wanting more. A must see for horror, comedy, or movie lovers of the like. Expand
  17. May 25, 2014
    A zombie comedy yes please!!! Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie definitely has a re-watch rate that of TLOTR Trilogy for me. I remember watching it on DVD when it had first came out and me and my friend couldn't stop laughing. The part were they are drunk singing then the zombie joins in on the song i literally lost it that was so awesome. Since this is a zombie movie you have toA zombie comedy yes please!!! Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie definitely has a re-watch rate that of TLOTR Trilogy for me. I remember watching it on DVD when it had first came out and me and my friend couldn't stop laughing. The part were they are drunk singing then the zombie joins in on the song i literally lost it that was so awesome. Since this is a zombie movie you have to have gore and this movie doesn't hold back nothing that was over the top.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are just brilliant together they are just gold when they work with each other. The laughs start from the vary beginning and they don's stop till the credits role. The supporting cast was good nothing special Kate Ashfield (Liz) plays Shaun's(Simon Pegg) girlfriend she has her moments but i didn't really care for her story arc of the film. David(Dylan Moran)and Dianne(Lucy Davis) are Liz's friends they don't really matter in the story but they are funny always bickering back and forth with each other.

Overall i give it a solid 10 love this movie so much going to watch it right now actually
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    A surprisingly well-orchestrated zombie movie with smart and hilarious comedy from Wright and Pegg. One of the most ingenious zombie films of the 2000's, and quite possibly the best. Zombie films do not particularly grow more refined with age at all, this being the best exception.
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has to be one the most original comedies in years. It mixes the genre of horror spectacularly with the comedy. With such a depressing subject which has been explored by people such as George A. Romero, it's not the first zombie comedy, but I do think it is the best. The lines are great, the irony is clever, and each scene leaves you with a smile. Edgar Wright is a brilliant director and I am a fan of his works that I've seen. What works in his movies is the characters are so realistic and you can immediately identify with them. An example would be Ed, he is such a jerk but he's the kind of friend you've known forever. I think everyone has had this type of friend in their life at one point or another. Edgar Wright also has great symmetry with his movies, such displayed early on with two near identical long takes, that are just beautiful to behold. Also nearly every line has a just payoff, making the dialogue also very clever. The comedy is hilarious, the characters are great, and the editing is fast-paced and brilliant which leaves this movie impossible to keep your eyes off. Expand
  20. Sep 8, 2013
    Wow, what an incredibly funny and entertaining movie! The fact that people don't find this movie hilarious boggles my mind! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go watch it! You're missing out if you don't.
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    It was somewhat funny. It did have good acting, which is what makes really good movies good. With the script going good for a zombie film, I don't think it could have gone any better.
  22. Sep 30, 2013
    Brilliant movie and beyond entertaining as far as Zombie movies are concerned. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are sublime together and they make this movie a must see.
  23. Jan 20, 2014
    It should be noted that this is the best Zombie film of the 21st century. It also should be noted that the superior quality of this film made Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg internationally noticed.
  24. Nov 16, 2013
    This film is an utterly remarkable. I am not a keen fan of the zombie genre due to many of them having pathetic plots. World gets infected lone group of survivors full bloody massacre. I may be contradicting myself, because this movie has a similar story line, but its because of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost`s onscreen chemistry, its superb use of British humor and Edgar Wrights kineticThis film is an utterly remarkable. I am not a keen fan of the zombie genre due to many of them having pathetic plots. World gets infected lone group of survivors full bloody massacre. I may be contradicting myself, because this movie has a similar story line, but its because of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost`s onscreen chemistry, its superb use of British humor and Edgar Wrights kinetic direction that makes the film "awesome". Expand
  25. May 7, 2014
    Cleverly written and cast perfectly, Shaun of the Dead is one of the rare parody movies that actually work. And by work, I mean knock it out of the park. Shaun of the Dead is fun, gory, and witty with a few feels that come along for the ride as well.
  26. Apr 19, 2014
    This comedy/horror is one of my favourite movie of all-time with is horror/comedy/action scenes.The story is just not original but the result is there and that is what it takes to make a good movie.
  27. Jul 18, 2014
    Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost are the ultimate dream team; 'Shaun of the Dead' is hilariously acted, intelligently directed (using Wright's signature short clips sequence) and well written. The characters are believable and there are even one or two genuinely scary moments.

This film must be watched by all comedy-horror fans.
  28. Dec 12, 2014
    i love this film. it's hilarious with amazing writing and acting, edgar wright is really selling himself as an amazing director and writer and this film along with the other films in the cornetto trilogy will be what he is remembered for. for the love of god if you haven't seen it go and see it now it's an excellent parody of romantic comedies and zombie movies and one of my all timei love this film. it's hilarious with amazing writing and acting, edgar wright is really selling himself as an amazing director and writer and this film along with the other films in the cornetto trilogy will be what he is remembered for. for the love of god if you haven't seen it go and see it now it's an excellent parody of romantic comedies and zombie movies and one of my all time favourite movies Expand
  29. Dec 1, 2014
    I really couldn't get into this movie. I know it's a comedy, but I didn't feel like laughing at any poiny in this movie. I mean, I enjoyed the movie's plot, but the genre is where this movie falls short.
  30. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Winchester?' Pegg delivers a spellbinding and hilarious performance in this horror movie spoof. The Zombies are well designed and rely on subtle approaches rather than blatant violence to creep up on the audience. The plot was sound as the dialogue, typically blunt Midlands slang stirs the emotions. A feast of humour, irony and just outright Zombie hunting. 4 stars Expand
  31. Apr 24, 2015
    Shaun of the Dead is a spoof, but at the same time, it's a semi-serious horror movie. It's also an homage to George Romero's Dead series (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead) and a societal commentary. Admittedly, with so many choices on the menu, director Edgar Wright cooks some of them better than others. But the bottom line is simple: Shaun of the Dead may not beShaun of the Dead is a spoof, but at the same time, it's a semi-serious horror movie. It's also an homage to George Romero's Dead series (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead) and a societal commentary. Admittedly, with so many choices on the menu, director Edgar Wright cooks some of them better than others. But the bottom line is simple: Shaun of the Dead may not be consistently scary (in fact, it's almost never scary), but it is consistently funny (if you have a slightly warped sense of humor) and never loses its audience.

Perhaps the best way to describe the film's comedy is to call it "British humor." Don't expect a gag-a-minute affair like Scary Movie, or a TV sit-com approach. Shaun of the Dead's niche is much closer to the one occupied by Evil Dead 2 (and its sequel, Army of Darkness) and Tremors. Those movies understood what makes a good horror movie, then had some fun with the premise, neither taking it too seriously nor utilizing contempt in its ridicule. In order to make a truly effective parody of a genre (or, in this case, a specific sub-genre), it is first necessary to have a heartfelt appreciation for the serious efforts that exist. Shaun of the Dead isn't camp. It's not a movie that's unintentionally laughable. This is supposed to be funny, but I wonder if much of the comedy will be lost on those who haven't spent a fair amount of time watching screen zombies.

Dawn of the Dead used the zombies as metaphors for consumers. In Shaun of the Dead, the shuffling, slack-jawed creatures are stand-ins for those of us who have become so desensitized to life that we're existing in a vacuum of routine. In terms of character arc, Shaun of the Dead is about Shaun's freeing himself from the cycle. Of course, it takes a zombie invasion for this to happen. If the dead had stayed in their graves, he would still be playing video games with Ed and bemoaning Liz's defection to a more energetic lifestyle.

There were times when, while watching George Romero's zombie movies, I had to stifle laughter. Cheesy moments abound, although die-hards will deny this. Wright reproduces many of those instances here, but with a difference. In the Dead movies, we're laughing at the film. In Shaun, we're laughing with the director. I won't pretend that Shaun of the Dead is the be-all and end-all of horror comedies. It has plenty of problems, not the least of which is that the horror elements are largely unconvincing (although there is plenty of gore). While there are numerous opportunities to laugh, the movie doesn't always go for the easy joke. Wright wants us to like and identify with Shaun, and there are two things that facilitate this aim: a few surprisingly poignant scenes and a solid "everyman" performance by lead actor (and co-screenwriter) Simon Pegg that elevates Shaun above the level of a caricature. Shaun of the Dead is a movie that one might not expect to work at first glance, but, for those who don't mind a little laughter with their zombies (or perhaps it should be the other way around), this is an unusual source of entertainment.
  32. May 27, 2015
    There's something sharp and attractive about the chemistry between Nick Frost and Simon Pegg that means anything that puts them together becomes immediately likeable. Shaun of the Dead was my first instance of this. Before I saw this film, I was unfamiliar with the TV show "Spaced", which apparently let viewers in to the beauty of the Pegg-Frost partnership. Upon viewing this film,There's something sharp and attractive about the chemistry between Nick Frost and Simon Pegg that means anything that puts them together becomes immediately likeable. Shaun of the Dead was my first instance of this. Before I saw this film, I was unfamiliar with the TV show "Spaced", which apparently let viewers in to the beauty of the Pegg-Frost partnership. Upon viewing this film, however, I immediately went online to watch every single episode. Despite being a film about a zombie apocalypse, Shaun of the Dead is a relatable picture; it's a film about romantic, familial and social love, and the obstacles that prevent each of them from blossoming. The film could function perfectly well without the zombies and would probably be just as funny, but the inclusion of the undead only makes for a fantastic comedy piece that is one of the rare movies that has actually managed to make me laugh out loud. With fantastic, sometimes unorthodox directing by Edgar Wright and an absolutely stellar cast, I can think of few qualms about this film that prevent it being one of the finest British comedies of the century. Expand

1. A gleefully gory, pitch-perfect parody of George Romero's zombie films. But this isn't a movie about other movies. Shaun of the Dead stands on its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    Extremely funny, side splitting good time.
  3. Reviewed by: Ray Bennett
    It's worth sticking around for the coda too as it contains some hilarious and very politically incorrect suggestions as to how zombies might be put to work once they've been tamed.