8.5

1. Apr 1, 2013
    An incredibly entertaining comedy that manages to keep my interest despite seeing it at least a dozen times. The fact that it still holds up after all these years tells you how good it is.
  2. Jun 19, 2014
    Shaun of the Dead is a tasteless, disgusting piece of work with very little redemption or justification for all its gore. It's plot points are stupid and hypocritical, the characters are some of the most annoyingly stupid people I've ever seen on a screen, and the movie feels decidedly incompetent. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  3. Apr 12, 2011
    This movie is a match made in Heaven, Zombies and comedy, it will surprise you how funny, but yet just as brutal as any other Zombie movie, I have to admit some of the emotional parts feel awkward amongst the jokes, but this is still a movie I highly recommend to fans of Zombies, and comedies in general, a fantastic movie.
  4. Sep 10, 2011
    Other than the "Simon Pegg+Nick Frost" performance combo, "Shaun of the Dead" throws in humor, a humor that applies to every kind of problems we have; politics, life, love and so on. A zombie movie that is humorously scary to watch.
  5. Nov 15, 2012
    Everybody's gone wild about this zom-com, and I'm not loving it. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg have been in a few movies together, and I haven't liked any of them. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but like I said, I'm not loving it.
  6. Aug 28, 2014
    Shaun of the Dead was a real surprise for me. I never really expected to enjoy a zombie movie this much, but I did. Now the film is not great, but it is very entertaining. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Kate Ashfield, are all very good in their roles and their chemistry is great. The direction from Edgar Wright is smart and assured. The script is also very good and is loaded with wittyShaun of the Dead was a real surprise for me. I never really expected to enjoy a zombie movie this much, but I did. Now the film is not great, but it is very entertaining. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Kate Ashfield, are all very good in their roles and their chemistry is great. The direction from Edgar Wright is smart and assured. The script is also very good and is loaded with witty dialogue and laughs. The laughs are ultimately the king here, as without the comedy, this one is alright. The thrills and excitement during the zombie sequences are good and certianly very intense, but at times, it can get a bit too gory. There are a few scenes that come to mind particular as being particularly gory and very much over the top. While the humor and thrills are good, I do wish they had toned down that aspect a little. I get that there will be gore in a zombie movie, but this one went overboard in some scenes, which was too bad. Luckily, however, the whole package is solid and very well done. As my first Edgar Wright film, it was a nice introduction to him. Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2014
    shaun of the dead is not as bit as funny as i thought but the fact that its zom com it is funny watching simon pegg and nick frost killing zombies . but it is a okay film
  8. Jan 9, 2014
    A surprisingly well-orchestrated zombie movie with smart and hilarious comedy from Wright and Pegg. One of the most ingenious zombie films of the 2000's, and quite possibly the best. Zombie films do not particularly grow more refined with age at all, this being the best exception.
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    The first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed isThe first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed is holding him back. They sit and play video games, Shaun goes to work and is made fun of by his much younger colleagues, while also going through his life in sort of auto-pilot mode of repeating the same at ions day in and day out. The excellent refreshment of the film stems from what is really a subplot, that lead have risen as zombies and are eating the living, yet the constant bickering of these three, along with Liz's friends Dianne (Lucy Davis) and David (Dylan Moran) takes centre stage as they attempt to come up with plans at every turn in an attempt to get through a situation. The dark humour is particularly well written from Pegg and Wright, who also directs the film, his fast-paced and energetic style of filming adds heightened tension to otherwise menial scenes, these are definitely callbacks to zombie films of old, they need to get to a safe haven, which Shaun and Ed believe to be the local pub of course, is it so wrong to sit in relative comfort and drink free booze until an apocalypse blows over? The human element feels grounded and doesn't give way to too much zombie time, we get various situations of such routine where we even see Shaun walk to the shop and back without even noticing the people around him where zombies, it was funny, but it also showed a message of just how familiar people will be that we don't even notice change right in front of us. The witty britishness of it all is particularly fresh, a cup of tea will fix everything, while even in the most frightening of circumstances, jokes bar regulars and dead people not being your real dad can still hold a dark sense of comic relief, especially in a time of zombie overkill in the film industry, no pun intended. We have chemistry and urgency with the characters to get the point across, Pegg and Frost are the perfect duo, no matter how much Shaun wants to change, he can't say no to his best friend. Its a relief to see a different sort of apocalyptic film that centres much more on the people involved and how it affects their routine, especially in a hilarious and witty way. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    This comedy/horror is one of my favourite movie of all-time with is horror/comedy/action scenes.The story is just not original but the result is there and that is what it takes to make a good movie.
  11. Aug 4, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is a charming film that is frequently entertaining and combines bloody zombie violence and witty satire in equal measure. This will surely please zombie fans and comedy fans unlike and still proves to be the best zombie comedy film in recent memory.
  12. Jan 20, 2014
    It should be noted that this is the best Zombie film of the 21st century. It also should be noted that the superior quality of this film made Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg internationally noticed.
  13. Apr 12, 2014
    Shaun is generally a nice guy but drives his girlfriend mad with his lack of ambition and insistence on spending every evening in the local pub. When London suddenly comes under attack from zombies Shaun realizes that, with the help of best friend Ed, it is his time to shine.

Shaun of the Dead is basically a spoof of the zombie movie genre but, unlike the terrible Scary Movie franchise; it shows a genuine understanding and love of the movies in which it spoofs. Featuring a great cast of British comic talent it is far funnier than the majority of comedy movies to come from this country (the duos attempts to imitate a zombie are simply hilarious).

Not lacking in gore and violence fans of horror films will find just as much entertainment as comedy fans in what has rightly become a cult classic.
  14. Apr 24, 2015
    Shaun of the Dead is a spoof, but at the same time, it's a semi-serious horror movie. It's also an homage to George Romero's Dead series (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead) and a societal commentary. Admittedly, with so many choices on the menu, director Edgar Wright cooks some of them better than others. But the bottom line is simple: Shaun of the Dead may not beShaun of the Dead is a spoof, but at the same time, it's a semi-serious horror movie. It's also an homage to George Romero's Dead series (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead) and a societal commentary. Admittedly, with so many choices on the menu, director Edgar Wright cooks some of them better than others. But the bottom line is simple: Shaun of the Dead may not be consistently scary (in fact, it's almost never scary), but it is consistently funny (if you have a slightly warped sense of humor) and never loses its audience.

Perhaps the best way to describe the film's comedy is to call it "British humor." Don't expect a gag-a-minute affair like Scary Movie, or a TV sit-com approach. Shaun of the Dead's niche is much closer to the one occupied by Evil Dead 2 (and its sequel, Army of Darkness) and Tremors. Those movies understood what makes a good horror movie, then had some fun with the premise, neither taking it too seriously nor utilizing contempt in its ridicule. In order to make a truly effective parody of a genre (or, in this case, a specific sub-genre), it is first necessary to have a heartfelt appreciation for the serious efforts that exist. Shaun of the Dead isn't camp. It's not a movie that's unintentionally laughable. This is supposed to be funny, but I wonder if much of the comedy will be lost on those who haven't spent a fair amount of time watching screen zombies.

Dawn of the Dead used the zombies as metaphors for consumers. In Shaun of the Dead, the shuffling, slack-jawed creatures are stand-ins for those of us who have become so desensitized to life that we're existing in a vacuum of routine. In terms of character arc, Shaun of the Dead is about Shaun's freeing himself from the cycle. Of course, it takes a zombie invasion for this to happen. If the dead had stayed in their graves, he would still be playing video games with Ed and bemoaning Liz's defection to a more energetic lifestyle.

There were times when, while watching George Romero's zombie movies, I had to stifle laughter. Cheesy moments abound, although die-hards will deny this. Wright reproduces many of those instances here, but with a difference. In the Dead movies, we're laughing at the film. In Shaun, we're laughing with the director. I won't pretend that Shaun of the Dead is the be-all and end-all of horror comedies. It has plenty of problems, not the least of which is that the horror elements are largely unconvincing (although there is plenty of gore). While there are numerous opportunities to laugh, the movie doesn't always go for the easy joke. Wright wants us to like and identify with Shaun, and there are two things that facilitate this aim: a few surprisingly poignant scenes and a solid "everyman" performance by lead actor (and co-screenwriter) Simon Pegg that elevates Shaun above the level of a caricature. Shaun of the Dead is a movie that one might not expect to work at first glance, but, for those who don't mind a little laughter with their zombies (or perhaps it should be the other way around), this is an unusual source of entertainment.
  15. May 25, 2014
    A zombie comedy yes please!!! Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie definitely has a re-watch rate that of TLOTR Trilogy for me. I remember watching it on DVD when it had first came out and me and my friend couldn't stop laughing. The part were they are drunk singing then the zombie joins in on the song i literally lost it that was so awesome. Since this is a zombie movie you have toA zombie comedy yes please!!! Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie definitely has a re-watch rate that of TLOTR Trilogy for me. I remember watching it on DVD when it had first came out and me and my friend couldn't stop laughing. The part were they are drunk singing then the zombie joins in on the song i literally lost it that was so awesome. Since this is a zombie movie you have to have gore and this movie doesn't hold back nothing that was over the top.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are just brilliant together they are just gold when they work with each other. The laughs start from the vary beginning and they don's stop till the credits role. The supporting cast was good nothing special Kate Ashfield (Liz) plays Shaun's(Simon Pegg) girlfriend she has her moments but i didn't really care for her story arc of the film. David(Dylan Moran)and Dianne(Lucy Davis) are Liz's friends they don't really matter in the story but they are funny always bickering back and forth with each other.

Overall i give it a solid 10 love this movie so much going to watch it right now actually
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    Both hilarious and gory Shaun of the Dead is both a successful comedy and zombie movie. Great acting by the entire cast and impeccable writing and directing by Edgar Wright.
  17. Dec 12, 2014
    i love this film. it's hilarious with amazing writing and acting, edgar wright is really selling himself as an amazing director and writer and this film along with the other films in the cornetto trilogy will be what he is remembered for. for the love of god if you haven't seen it go and see it now it's an excellent parody of romantic comedies and zombie movies and one of my all timei love this film. it's hilarious with amazing writing and acting, edgar wright is really selling himself as an amazing director and writer and this film along with the other films in the cornetto trilogy will be what he is remembered for. for the love of god if you haven't seen it go and see it now it's an excellent parody of romantic comedies and zombie movies and one of my all time favourite movies Expand
  18. Mar 2, 2011
    Unbelievably funny. I saw this just a year ago and screamed in laughter. These actors were so funny and had great comedic timing. It is bloody even for the TV version so for R, you are probably in for some gruesome scenes. The storyline, even if it is a spoof of the classic "Dawn of the Dead" was original and brilliantly written.
  19. Jul 24, 2012
    Plenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick andPlenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick and toilet humour either. This film enters straight through the middle instead. Although it had zombies in it, there was a lot of comedy because most things were played for laughs, but there were a few horrific moments. Makes Shaun's monotonous life much more exciting and probably anyone else's life as well. Take control of your life, like Shaun - even if it includes the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2011
    Refreshing take on the zombie genre although the zombies are a bit overly stupid. (Although, who's to say that's not realism!) The gags are well done the humour well mixed with the gore, the acting is solid and overall a very enjoyable horror comedy.
  21. Nov 1, 2011
    After the first hour the movie lagged. The movie drew me in though at the beginning literally being too funny to fathom how they imitated the horror genre.
  22. Nov 29, 2013
    It was somewhat funny. It did have good acting, which is what makes really good movies good. With the script going good for a zombie film, I don't think it could have gone any better.
  23. Aug 15, 2011
    Overrated clap-trap that has amazingly found its way into the consciousness of self-proclaimed geeks, nerds and other cretins and subsequently opened the floodgates for the current spate of zombie-obsessed pop culture rubbish. Film is entertaining enough upon first viewing but after the first half hour you don't exactly need powers of clairvoyance to guess what's going to happen next.
  24. May 2, 2011
    Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright could be described as the new Three Stooges, having given us so many wonderfully funny treats each year. However, their 2004 "romzomcom" shot them to stardom and single-handedly managed to revive British horror. Shaun is a young man working in an electrical store has a rocky relationship with his mum, his girlfriend Liz is on the verge of dumping himSimon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright could be described as the new Three Stooges, having given us so many wonderfully funny treats each year. However, their 2004 "romzomcom" shot them to stardom and single-handedly managed to revive British horror. Shaun is a young man working in an electrical store has a rocky relationship with his mum, his girlfriend Liz is on the verge of dumping him and his best mate Ed is a complete slob who spends his days on Shaun's couch playing videogames and drinking beer, When he finally decides to get off his feet and sort his life out, a zombie invasion takes place but Shaun merely sees it as another obstacle. When he rounds up his family and friends and takes them to his local pub to try and survive the night. A real treat for all fans of British comedy and at the same time a gorefest that harkens back to the days of Peter Jackson's Braindead. Bloody brilliant. Expand
  25. Aug 15, 2010
    This movie is bloody brilliant. Action-packed, hilarious and gory. The writing is funny, the acting is great, and the directing is superb. I highly recommend it.
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    It pushes the horror-comedy formula to new grounds, all the while being intelligent, funny, and occasionally emotional -- however sometimes too much so.
  27. Mar 11, 2011
    Great British zombie horror comedy that I ever seen. Everyone is hilarious and they have the funniest catchphrases.
  28. Jan 29, 2014
    Possibly my favourite movie ever! I can not say enough about how great this movie is. Everything about this movie is fantastic! Everyone should at least see this movie once.
  29. Jul 27, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is clever, witty, and just as inventive as it is funny. It took what the world knew as a horror spoof and turned it on its end. It shaped the way we look at the horror/comedy genre and will continue to be at the top tier of the genre until another film like it is made. An absolute romp from start to finish that leaves you satisfied, but wanting more. A must see forShaun of the Dead is clever, witty, and just as inventive as it is funny. It took what the world knew as a horror spoof and turned it on its end. It shaped the way we look at the horror/comedy genre and will continue to be at the top tier of the genre until another film like it is made. An absolute romp from start to finish that leaves you satisfied, but wanting more. A must see for horror, comedy, or movie lovers of the like. Expand
  30. May 21, 2011
    i found this film very entertaining there was lots of goo humor in it and a little drama as well and i enjoyed every minute however i am not going to say it was perfect there were flaws but i have never actually seen any movie that is perfect in every way
  31. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans ofThis is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans of mainly 'Zombie' movies and other gory horror-movies, will be entertained by this movie. I Actually don't watch any zombie movie... but I really really enjoy this one... Very entertaining from start till it run out of gas... Expand
  32. Oct 22, 2011
    This a great zombie film full of blood, guts and funny moments. It can be hard to pull of a horror and comedy all in one, but this film does it well. The film isn't scary, but the zombies do look freaky. An alright storyline and plot, and played well by the actors. The action scenes are good, mostly filled with comedy. It's violent, horrible and bloody, it's Shaun Of The Dead!
  33. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has to be one the most original comedies in years. It mixes the genre of horror spectacularly with the comedy. With such a depressing subject which has been explored by people such as George A. Romero, it's not the first zombie comedy, but I do think it is the best. The lines are great, the irony is clever, and each scene leaves you with a smile. Edgar Wright is a brilliant director and I am a fan of his works that I've seen. What works in his movies is the characters are so realistic and you can immediately identify with them. An example would be Ed, he is such a jerk but he's the kind of friend you've known forever. I think everyone has had this type of friend in their life at one point or another. Edgar Wright also has great symmetry with his movies, such displayed early on with two near identical long takes, that are just beautiful to behold. Also nearly every line has a just payoff, making the dialogue also very clever. The comedy is hilarious, the characters are great, and the editing is fast-paced and brilliant which leaves this movie impossible to keep your eyes off. Expand
  34. Nov 5, 2010
    A truly amazing film by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. The storyline is easy to follow. The characters are very well thought up, and the acting is superb. Shaun of the Dead is both humorous and gory and the balance is well designed. The editing, especially â
  35. Feb 10, 2014
    An amazing film starting off an amazing film series. This film is perfect, and the best in the trilogy. The humour is great, and the action sequences are also great. The character development is good. There are so many little touches in the films you may not notice, which make the film completely perfect, and in my opinion, the best film ever made.
  36. Jan 12, 2011
    This is a fairly entertaining movie... but i personally see no purpose so for me this is a pointless story, waste of money and a waste of our time rating this over the well-deserved rating of... 5
  37. May 1, 2012
    This is a great movie. The jokes are well timed and witty. The pacing is excellent and it seemed to me that the movie lasts shorter than it does. Simon Pegg is excellent and quite believable as a Shaun the hero. The movie is a real refreshment in the Zombie genre.
  38. May 4, 2013
    Every time I see this movie, I break out into laughter. This is one of the smartest, quirkiest, funniest movies I have ever seen. This is the best british film I have ever seen, and is one of my all time favorite movies.
  39. Jul 18, 2014
    Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost are the ultimate dream team; 'Shaun of the Dead' is hilariously acted, intelligently directed (using Wright's signature short clips sequence) and well written. The characters are believable and there are even one or two genuinely scary moments.

This film must be watched by all comedy-horror fans.
  40. Jul 16, 2013
    Great film. The comedy was great yet it wasn't too funny so as to shadow out the horror theme of the movie. Simon and nick are great comedic actors. Absolute British classic.
  41. Sep 30, 2013
    Brilliant movie and beyond entertaining as far as Zombie movies are concerned. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are sublime together and they make this movie a must see.
  42. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Winchester?' Pegg delivers a spellbinding and hilarious performance in this horror movie spoof. The Zombies are well designed and rely on subtle approaches rather than blatant violence to creep up on the audience. The plot was sound as the dialogue, typically blunt Midlands slang stirs the emotions. A feast of humour, irony and just outright Zombie hunting. 4 stars Expand
  43. Jul 30, 2011
    A comedy that is best shown with a group of friends on a boring Saturday night because it will soon turn into one with great laughter. An innovative comedy that blends the horrors of a zombie apocalypse and makes it seem like in the event of breakout, life wouldn't be so bad.
  44. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my all-time favorites.

This movie puts tongue firmly in cheek then has a zombie bite it off.

Wit, social commentary and geeky references galore make this a fun movie to watch with some mates.
  45. May 7, 2014
    Cleverly written and cast perfectly, Shaun of the Dead is one of the rare parody movies that actually work. And by work, I mean knock it out of the park. Shaun of the Dead is fun, gory, and witty with a few feels that come along for the ride as well.
  46. Aug 5, 2011
    I Have Nothing Negative To Say About This Movie At all. It Is The Perfect Movie For Me! It Has 3 Of My 4 Favourite Genres! Action, Horror and Comedy! (Its Only Missing sci-fi, Oh Wait, No it isn't! ZOMBIES!)
  47. Nov 18, 2011
    I am not quite sure how any one person can sit through even ten minutes of a film such as this, let alone watch to whole darn thing. 'Shaun of the Dead' deserves no rating higher than what i have chosen to rate it, and believe anyone who actually feels like this film is worthy of production, should reconsider their life choices.
  48. Sep 24, 2012
    Shaun of the Dead is a romantic zombie horror comedy movie about two men, one called Shaun and the other called Ed they are best friends, they like to stay home, lounge about drink coffee and play video games. Shaun wants to get back together with his ex girlfriend. He soon finds out that a zombie apocalypse is happening and he starts getting worried about his family, friends and of courseShaun of the Dead is a romantic zombie horror comedy movie about two men, one called Shaun and the other called Ed they are best friends, they like to stay home, lounge about drink coffee and play video games. Shaun wants to get back together with his ex girlfriend. He soon finds out that a zombie apocalypse is happening and he starts getting worried about his family, friends and of course his ex girlfriend. This movie is very funny you will have a lot of laughs. I like it because it is a more comedic take on a zombie movie which hasn Expand
  49. Sep 28, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is hands-down one of the best movies of the 21st Century. Brilliantly funny and genuinely scary at points. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are amazing.
  50. Sep 8, 2013
    Wow, what an incredibly funny and entertaining movie! The fact that people don't find this movie hilarious boggles my mind! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go watch it! You're missing out if you don't.
  51. Nov 16, 2013
    This film is an utterly remarkable. I am not a keen fan of the zombie genre due to many of them having pathetic plots. World gets infected lone group of survivors full bloody massacre. I may be contradicting myself, because this movie has a similar story line, but its because of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost`s onscreen chemistry, its superb use of British humor and Edgar Wrights kineticThis film is an utterly remarkable. I am not a keen fan of the zombie genre due to many of them having pathetic plots. World gets infected lone group of survivors full bloody massacre. I may be contradicting myself, because this movie has a similar story line, but its because of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost`s onscreen chemistry, its superb use of British humor and Edgar Wrights kinetic direction that makes the film "awesome". Expand
  52. Dec 1, 2014
    I really couldn't get into this movie. I know it's a comedy, but I didn't feel like laughing at any poiny in this movie. I mean, I enjoyed the movie's plot, but the genre is where this movie falls short.
  53. Oct 13, 2010
    Shaun of the Dead has to be one of the funniest movies ever made. Simon Pegg and Nick frost make for an awesome comedic duo, as also seen in Hot Fuzz.
    The movie manages to give laughs, as well as being somewhat frightening and touching at points.
    9/10, great piece of art!
  54. Nov 1, 2010
    I find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie atI find this movie a bit perplexing. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating, yet last night (Halloween) I sat and watched this movie twice in a row, one after another. The second time I watched the movie set on Zombie-O-Meter. So I probably should give it a higher rating yet I can't seem to find it in me to do so right now. It does have some graphic gore, yet it is also a funny movie at times. I might be able to give it a higher rating if I was a bigger fan of Gore and zombies. The Undead is just not the most appealing aspect of moviedom for me. Expand
  55. May 27, 2015
    There's something sharp and attractive about the chemistry between Nick Frost and Simon Pegg that means anything that puts them together becomes immediately likeable. Shaun of the Dead was my first instance of this. Before I saw this film, I was unfamiliar with the TV show "Spaced", which apparently let viewers in to the beauty of the Pegg-Frost partnership. Upon viewing this film,There's something sharp and attractive about the chemistry between Nick Frost and Simon Pegg that means anything that puts them together becomes immediately likeable. Shaun of the Dead was my first instance of this. Before I saw this film, I was unfamiliar with the TV show "Spaced", which apparently let viewers in to the beauty of the Pegg-Frost partnership. Upon viewing this film, however, I immediately went online to watch every single episode. Despite being a film about a zombie apocalypse, Shaun of the Dead is a relatable picture; it's a film about romantic, familial and social love, and the obstacles that prevent each of them from blossoming. The film could function perfectly well without the zombies and would probably be just as funny, but the inclusion of the undead only makes for a fantastic comedy piece that is one of the rare movies that has actually managed to make me laugh out loud. With fantastic, sometimes unorthodox directing by Edgar Wright and an absolutely stellar cast, I can think of few qualms about this film that prevent it being one of the finest British comedies of the century. Expand
  56. Chimp
    Oct 10, 2004
    Not only was this movie bloody hilarious (pun intended), but believe it or not, it actually was very artistic. its not just a comedy/horror movie. its very well made, even though it wont win any oscars. the second best movie ive seen this year after eternal sunshine.
  57. MacM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    WARNING TO THE INCREDIBLY SQUEAMISH : If, like me, you are completely weak in tolerance for gore, best give this piece of comic genius the flick. The writing was superb, the cast as a whole are spot on but the gore - regardless of comedy context - was too much for my over-sensitive brain. I squirmed in discomfort tonnes. But the debate of which record to throw at the zombies is WARNING TO THE INCREDIBLY SQUEAMISH : If, like me, you are completely weak in tolerance for gore, best give this piece of comic genius the flick. The writing was superb, the cast as a whole are spot on but the gore - regardless of comedy context - was too much for my over-sensitive brain. I squirmed in discomfort tonnes. But the debate of which record to throw at the zombies is priceless!!! "The Stone Roses?" ""Nah." "But it's The Second Coming!" "*I* LIKE it!" Expand
  58. JenniferT.
    Oct 30, 2004
    Very funny, smart and another movie that will make you stay away from big budget flicks for good.
  59. HeywoodJ.
    Oct 4, 2004
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, and also one of the few movies in recent years to live up to the buzz it's generated.
  60. NathanG.
    Aug 1, 2005
    This is the best movie ever! Should have won every Oscar, including awards like documentary! Tons of subtle (and not so subtle) references to all kinds of things. It's a smash hit romantic comedy- with zombies.
  61. DanB.
    Oct 10, 2004
    It was funny, a little scary, and even... strangely touching. In the end it's all down to characters: this movie actually bothers to build them and define them, and give them back stories - not like Sky Captain, for example, whose idea of character definition is naming the character. Shaun is one of the better movies this year.
  62. RobertH.
    Oct 4, 2004
    As much as I hate to jump on any movie band wagon, I must say that this is the best MOVIE I've seen since "Spiderman2". Now I am not a fan in particular of any genre, I love to laugh and I love to be shocked, but not to the point of almost thowing up. This movie managed to accomplish both for me and my semi-reluctant wife who I could tell before we went to the movie she wasn't As much as I hate to jump on any movie band wagon, I must say that this is the best MOVIE I've seen since "Spiderman2". Now I am not a fan in particular of any genre, I love to laugh and I love to be shocked, but not to the point of almost thowing up. This movie managed to accomplish both for me and my semi-reluctant wife who I could tell before we went to the movie she wasn't too excited about seeing a ZOM-ROM-COM, especially with a bunch of British people using unfamiliar slang. But I'm getting off of the point, "Shaun of the Dead" is one those rare movies that manage to accomplish what they set out to do. This movie is a one of a kind gem and though I am sure it will be immitated at one point in time or another, I highly doubt it can be duplicated. Especiall Mr. Pegg (Shaun) who after this movie I did a web search of other movies he was in. Expand
  63. Lil'Llama
    Oct 4, 2004
    This movie is so terrible it makes my eyes bleed! I hated this movie so much I wanted to kill everyone in the theater, including Fudgie!
  64. MetaCritik
    Oct 4, 2004
    This movie is getting rave reviews here.... some say it's creative, original or refreshing and yes it's not your average zombie movie but it's not that great either. Kinda funny but after 20 minutes it's old.
  65. JamesT.
    Oct 6, 2004
    It is the best zombie movie ever! The fact it has the Romantic comedy thrown in as well only adds to the coolness.
  66. RossW
    Sep 19, 2004
    I saw a screening of this movie the other night, and its was amazing. By far the funniest movie i have seen all year or even the best movie ive seen all year.
  67. JeffreyL.
    Sep 24, 2004
    As a Brit I'm really glad that the American critics liked SotD. It deserves all the credit it gets and it has to be one of the best British movies of recent years. If you liked this movie look out for Simon Pegg's TV series 'Spaced' this is one of the best TV shows from the UK and although only two seasons were made it is an essential addition to any film geeks dvd As a Brit I'm really glad that the American critics liked SotD. It deserves all the credit it gets and it has to be one of the best British movies of recent years. If you liked this movie look out for Simon Pegg's TV series 'Spaced' this is one of the best TV shows from the UK and although only two seasons were made it is an essential addition to any film geeks dvd collection. Also look out for the SotD DVD, I have the R2 version and it is absolutely packed with great extras (theres so much stuff on there! like video diaries from the cast members zombie auditions and the funny tv skits seen in the film like the 'Trisha' chat show and 'it's a zombie knockout') Don't miss this movie, not only is it a good zombie comedy faithful to the classic Romero movies but it offers a remarkably good reflection of what it's like to be a young and indifferent Londoner. Expand
  68. TarvB.
    Sep 25, 2004
    I went in not expecting much. The movie made me laugh so hard I almost cried at several different times. This has to be the most original comedy I've ever seen.
  69. BlancoA.
    Sep 27, 2004
    A must-see for fans of Zombie flicks, Survival Horror (and FPS) games, and "Clerks"-style buddy flicks. The acting is uniformly excellent, and the social commentary is much more sly than that of "Dawn". The relationship between the lead character and his slovenly flatmate was much more touching than I thought it would be and was reminicent of the guys in Clerks. Just check it out.
  70. alane
    Jan 15, 2005
    For zombie movie lovers of all ages.
  71. ChristinaC
    Jan 24, 2005
    One of the best, funniest films I've seen in a long time!
  72. MattA
    Jun 4, 2005
    This has to be one of my favorite movies of all time! The two things that i love most, Zombies, and comedy... and if your fans of both of those genres then you'll love this movie. The actors are all great and the comedy is above average in intellegence. One of my top 10.
  73. Lars
    Jul 15, 2005
    One of those movies that is even better the second time you watch it, or third, fourth, and seventeenth. It is extremely funny for fans of George Romero like myself, as there are many inside jokes that appeal to fans of the Dead movies. Ed-" Were coming to get you Barbara!" Very well thought out.
  74. Gnarles
    Jan 20, 2006
    The first hour or so is great fun, but when the characters get barracaded in a bar for the climax, the movie flames out and becomes exactly what it has been making fun of. The actual ending is amusing, though. "Player 2 has joined the game..."
    Mar 24, 2006
    A lighthearted zombie take. Wish there was more gun action. I'd like to see a zombie film where survivors fight off the zombies with assault rifles, miniguns, RPGs, etc, a starship troopers with zombie instead of aliens.
  76. IanReyP
    Oct 19, 2008
    It's a dumb comedy. And mixed with horror. Just inventive! No movie like it. I had a good laugh, and a little scare. The music was just great!
  77. MuttD.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Funny, touching, serious, and even at times scary. It hits all the best spots from the romantic comedy and zombie genres.
  78. AndrewG
    Jun 23, 2009
    Will go down as the best horror comedy of all time.
  79. GaborA.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Horror comedies minus a very small handfull are usually neither funny nor scary. Ironically, this film which paradises those films is both. Solid directing and jokes that evoke laughs using almost every form of comedy i can think of make this movie stand on its own.
  80. DanT.
    Oct 12, 2004
    Great comic instincts.
  81. JamesD.
    Oct 13, 2004
    Its A Pure Classic, a Brilliant mix of genres, If you didnt like this film then you wanted to hate it form the start either that r you hate the british either way swallow your pride and keep your mouth shut. Best Bit: Killing the Landlord Zombie in time to queen. bythe way i am british and i highly reccomend getting the dvd whichc is already out here and is jam packed with extras such as Its A Pure Classic, a Brilliant mix of genres, If you didnt like this film then you wanted to hate it form the start either that r you hate the british either way swallow your pride and keep your mouth shut. Best Bit: Killing the Landlord Zombie in time to queen. bythe way i am british and i highly reccomend getting the dvd whichc is already out here and is jam packed with extras such as 4 different comentaries. and Plot Holes "what really did happen to shaun when he ran off with the zombies?????????" Expand
  82. MattH.
    Oct 18, 2004
    The funniest movie for a long time. Simon Pegg is a genius.
  83. MichaelM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    A very original and very hysterical zombie movie from the U.K. Although it wasn't as good as I expected, it still kept me interested and in stitches most of the runtime of the film. Even though I liked it, a lot of viewers won't. It takes a very off-beat sense of humor to get the wit behind Simon Pegg's Shaun of the Dead. It also takes a very dark sense of humor to enjoy A very original and very hysterical zombie movie from the U.K. Although it wasn't as good as I expected, it still kept me interested and in stitches most of the runtime of the film. Even though I liked it, a lot of viewers won't. It takes a very off-beat sense of humor to get the wit behind Simon Pegg's Shaun of the Dead. It also takes a very dark sense of humor to enjoy it. You may be fooled when it's labeled comedy, but this so called comedy has more gore then you could imagine! But for those of you with a off-beat dark sense of humor, will marvel this film. And that's a promise. Expand
  84. AlejandroL.
    Oct 3, 2004
    My friend literally dragged me to this movie b/c i thought it was going to be another Zombie sorry movie, but wow, this is a smart, intelligent, and very well made film. Already believe it to be a classic and definitive cult hit. For those who think it is something regurgetated, it is not, it is new, exciting, and definitely refreshing. check it out!
  85. DonnaA.
    Oct 7, 2004
    I thought is was funny. I am not a zombie movie person. And I did have trouble with the ecky bloody stuff. But I wanted to see it any way. Donna A.
  86. DanP.
    Very clever.
  87. DevynS.
    Sep 24, 2004
    It was actually very funny despite the gore. The budget looked like it was fairly low but they really pulled it off.
  88. SteveH.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Ever wondered if you could combine a horror movie, comedy, love story and buddy movie into one? Well, the makers of this movie have succeeded and you will enjoy every bit of it. I haven't laughed out loud like this for a while and then on the other hand, my wife let out the loudest shrieks I've heard in a while.
  89. SeanK.
    Sep 26, 2004
    It's rare that movie can make you scream with laughter and scream with horror within minutes of each other. The comic timing and physical comedy could not have been better. The emotions felt genuine. Loved the zomie lesson. It was a scream!
  90. JeffL.
    Sep 29, 2004
    The award for Year's Best Title goes to this funny, good-natured spoof of George Romero's classic, blood-spattered zombie trilogy as well as recent variations like Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. Simon Pegg agreeably plays Shaun, a London appliance salesman who breaks up with his girlfriend and spends the night boozing with his chubby, dim-bulb best friend, Ed. Next day, it The award for Year's Best Title goes to this funny, good-natured spoof of George Romero's classic, blood-spattered zombie trilogy as well as recent variations like Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. Simon Pegg agreeably plays Shaun, a London appliance salesman who breaks up with his girlfriend and spends the night boozing with his chubby, dim-bulb best friend, Ed. Next day, it slowly dawns on Shaun and Ed that the flesh-eating living dead have taken over. Using such unorthodox weapons as a cricket bat and a Sade album, they make their way cross-town to rescue loved ones. If you're one who dismisses British humor as too dry, just check out this film's over-the-top gore, profanity, and fart jokes; Merchant-Ivory this isn't. But it made me laugh more than any other film I've seen in months. And I really enjoyed the sight gags at the beginning and end wherein director Edgar Wright demonstrates just how much zombie-like behavior exists in our everyday lives. Expand
  91. ZachG
    Sep 29, 2004
    A very intelligent movie -- possibly the smartest spoof out there. Character-centered and full of double-meanings, social commentary and good old wit, Shaun is a very impressive blend of the humor without demeaning the material it's satirizing.
  92. TomE.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Started off well with a few proper laugh out loud moments, but like most british films made after a successful series (eg parole officer) no way as funny as them. Some bits were truly cringworthy-it felt like the filmakers were desperate to make a proper film with love stories..etc but it felt mashed together. I can see why some people gave it high marks but i won't be watching this again.
  93. KariS
    Jan 13, 2005
    Wildly fun and entertaining, right up the alley for someone with offbeat wit and an appreciation for a remarkable number of cameos from British tv.
  94. TravisR.
    Jan 17, 2005
    For lack of a better word, perfect. A cult clasic, everyone who has watched this movie with me have caught themselves saying something funny from this movie.
  95. PaulJ.
    Feb 13, 2005
    More of a horror movie with humour in it rather than a comdey with horror.
  96. ArmandoS.
    Feb 26, 2005
    I liked this movie better than DAWN OF THE DEAD, even though it was a much lower budget movie. The characters were more appealing and it was much funnier. Recommended.
  97. ChrisS
    Mar 11, 2005
    This may appeal more to horror film fans who enjoy a good laugh, but a majority of this movie centers around boring violence (hitting zombies with blunt objects is only entertaining the first 10000 times) and a pointless plot that goes nowhere. I would ignore these flaws if the movie focuses more on the humor, but I found myself grimacing more than laughing at this one... I didn't This may appeal more to horror film fans who enjoy a good laugh, but a majority of this movie centers around boring violence (hitting zombies with blunt objects is only entertaining the first 10000 times) and a pointless plot that goes nowhere. I would ignore these flaws if the movie focuses more on the humor, but I found myself grimacing more than laughing at this one... I didn't even crack a smile in the last 30 minutes of this film. If you want a pure-comedy look elsewhere, if you want violence get Kill Bill, if you want to try to mix both go ahead and watch this... but expect it to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Expand
  98. ZachL.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This movie was soooooo freaking funny! If you don't think this is funny, you are just too stupid to understand the humor behind it. I wasn't very scared, but then again I laughed during texas chainsaw massacre so... well my favorite movie of 2004.
  99. MaxB
    Jul 18, 2005
    Pitch perfect is right. A delightfully refreshing movie which hits all the right notes. Uproariusly funny in spots, but also contains much dry humor. Not just for Romero fans.
  100. RDalvi
    Oct 26, 2006
    Very good zombie movie. not so scary but there is enough humor and eye-candy for horror lovers too make it a memorable view.

1. A gleefully gory, pitch-perfect parody of George Romero's zombie films. But this isn't a movie about other movies. Shaun of the Dead stands on its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    Extremely funny, side splitting good time.
  3. Reviewed by: Ray Bennett
    It's worth sticking around for the coda too as it contains some hilarious and very politically incorrect suggestions as to how zombies might be put to work once they've been tamed.