8.5

1. Apr 12, 2014
    Shaun is generally a nice guy but drives his girlfriend mad with his lack of ambition and insistence on spending every evening in the local pub. When London suddenly comes under attack from zombies Shaun realizes that, with the help of best friend Ed, it is his time to shine.

Shaun of the Dead is basically a spoof of the zombie movie genre but, unlike the terrible Scary Movie franchise;
    it shows a genuine understanding and love of the movies in which it spoofs. Featuring a great cast of British comic talent it is far funnier than the majority of comedy movies to come from this country (the duos attempts to imitate a zombie are simply hilarious).

Not lacking in gore and violence fans of horror films will find just as much entertainment as comedy fans in what has rightly become a cult classic.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    shaun of the dead is not as bit as funny as i thought but the fact that its zom com it is funny watching simon pegg and nick frost killing zombies . but it is a okay film
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    An amazing film starting off an amazing film series. This film is perfect, and the best in the trilogy. The humour is great, and the action sequences are also great. The character development is good. There are so many little touches in the films you may not notice, which make the film completely perfect, and in my opinion, the best film ever made.
  4. Jan 29, 2014
    Possibly my favourite movie ever! I can not say enough about how great this movie is. Everything about this movie is fantastic! Everyone should at least see this movie once.
  5. Jan 20, 2014
    It should be noted that this is the best Zombie film of the 21st century. It also should be noted that the superior quality of this film made Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg internationally noticed.
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    A surprisingly well-orchestrated zombie movie with smart and hilarious comedy from Wright and Pegg. One of the most ingenious zombie films of the 2000's, and quite possibly the best. Zombie films do not particularly grow more refined with age at all, this being the best exception.
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    It was somewhat funny. It did have good acting, which is what makes really good movies good. With the script going good for a zombie film, I don't think it could have gone any better.
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    This film is an utterly remarkable. I am not a keen fan of the zombie genre due to many of them having pathetic plots. World gets infected lone group of survivors full bloody massacre. I may be contradicting myself, because this movie has a similar story line, but its because of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost`s onscreen chemistry, its superb use of British humor and Edgar Wrights kinetic direction that makes the film "awesome". Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    The first of a "Cornetto Trilogy" from friends and regular collaborators Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Shaun (Pegg) is a bored and routine thirty something who spends too much time at the local pub, the Winchester, with his best friend Ed (Nick Frost) who doesn't do a whole lot with his life, Shaun's girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfiled) is annoyed at his lack of focus and believe that Ed is holding him back. They sit and play video games, Shaun goes to work and is made fun of by his much younger colleagues, while also going through his life in sort of auto-pilot mode of repeating the same at ions day in and day out. The excellent refreshment of the film stems from what is really a subplot, that lead have risen as zombies and are eating the living, yet the constant bickering of these three, along with Liz's friends Dianne (Lucy Davis) and David (Dylan Moran) takes centre stage as they attempt to come up with plans at every turn in an attempt to get through a situation. The dark humour is particularly well written from Pegg and Wright, who also directs the film, his fast-paced and energetic style of filming adds heightened tension to otherwise menial scenes, these are definitely callbacks to zombie films of old, they need to get to a safe haven, which Shaun and Ed believe to be the local pub of course, is it so wrong to sit in relative comfort and drink free booze until an apocalypse blows over? The human element feels grounded and doesn't give way to too much zombie time, we get various situations of such routine where we even see Shaun walk to the shop and back without even noticing the people around him where zombies, it was funny, but it also showed a message of just how familiar people will be that we don't even notice change right in front of us. The witty britishness of it all is particularly fresh, a cup of tea will fix everything, while even in the most frightening of circumstances, jokes bar regulars and dead people not being your real dad can still hold a dark sense of comic relief, especially in a time of zombie overkill in the film industry, no pun intended. We have chemistry and urgency with the characters to get the point across, Pegg and Frost are the perfect duo, no matter how much Shaun wants to change, he can't say no to his best friend. Its a relief to see a different sort of apocalyptic film that centres much more on the people involved and how it affects their routine, especially in a hilarious and witty way. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    Brilliant movie and beyond entertaining as far as Zombie movies are concerned. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are sublime together and they make this movie a must see.
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is hands-down one of the best movies of the 21st Century. Brilliantly funny and genuinely scary at points. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are amazing.
  12. Sep 8, 2013
    Wow, what an incredibly funny and entertaining movie! The fact that people don't find this movie hilarious boggles my mind! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go watch it! You're missing out if you don't.
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has to be one the most original comedies in years. It mixes the genre of horror spectacularly with the comedy. With such a depressing subject which has been explored by people such as George A. Romero, it's not the first zombie comedy, but I do think it is the best. The lines are great, the irony is clever, and each scene leaves you with a smile. Edgar Wright is a brilliant director and I am a fan of his works that I've seen. What works in his movies is the characters are so realistic and you can immediately identify with them. An example would be Ed, he is such a jerk but he's the kind of friend you've known forever. I think everyone has had this type of friend in their life at one point or another. Edgar Wright also has great symmetry with his movies, such displayed early on with two near identical long takes, that are just beautiful to behold. Also nearly every line has a just payoff, making the dialogue also very clever. The comedy is hilarious, the characters are great, and the editing is fast-paced and brilliant which leaves this movie impossible to keep your eyes off. Expand
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my all-time favorites.

This movie puts tongue firmly in cheek then has a zombie bite it off.

Wit, social commentary and geeky references galore make this a fun movie to watch with some mates.
  15. Aug 4, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is a charming film that is frequently entertaining and combines bloody zombie violence and witty satire in equal measure. This will surely please zombie fans and comedy fans unlike and still proves to be the best zombie comedy film in recent memory.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Shaun of the Dead is clever, witty, and just as inventive as it is funny. It took what the world knew as a horror spoof and turned it on its end. It shaped the way we look at the horror/comedy genre and will continue to be at the top tier of the genre until another film like it is made. An absolute romp from start to finish that leaves you satisfied, but wanting more. A must see for horror, comedy, or movie lovers of the like. Expand
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    Both hilarious and gory Shaun of the Dead is both a successful comedy and zombie movie. Great acting by the entire cast and impeccable writing and directing by Edgar Wright.
  18. Jul 16, 2013
    Great film. The comedy was great yet it wasn't too funny so as to shadow out the horror theme of the movie. Simon and nick are great comedic actors. Absolute British classic.
  19. Jun 18, 2013
    A must watch. One of my all-time favorite movies.....................................................................................................................................................................................
  20. May 26, 2013
    Buena pelicula de zombies, que mezcla la comedia con la desesperacion, esta es una pelicula graciosa y divertida, con un buen maquillaje de los zombies.
  21. May 4, 2013
    Every time I see this movie, I break out into laughter. This is one of the smartest, quirkiest, funniest movies I have ever seen. This is the best british film I have ever seen, and is one of my all time favorite movies.
  22. Apr 1, 2013
    An incredibly entertaining comedy that manages to keep my interest despite seeing it at least a dozen times. The fact that it still holds up after all these years tells you how good it is.
  23. Dec 29, 2012
    It pushes the horror-comedy formula to new grounds, all the while being intelligent, funny, and occasionally emotional -- however sometimes too much so.
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    Everybody's gone wild about this zom-com, and I'm not loving it. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg have been in a few movies together, and I haven't liked any of them. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but like I said, I'm not loving it.
  25. Oct 16, 2012
    Shaun of the dead : It's often said that the true character of a man is only revealed in times of dire crisis, and for likable, lovelorn loser Shaun (Simon Pegg), that moment of reckoning came when the dead rose from their slumber to feast on the flesh of the living. A hapless electronics store employee who spends most of his spare time downing pints at the local pub with his roommate, Ed (Nick Frost), Shaun's life seems to fall apart when he is dumped by his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield), and his obnoxious stepfather, Philip (Bill Nighy), shows up to berate him for not being more attentive to his caring mother Barbara (Penelope Wilton) -- especially since he forgot to send flowers for her birthday. Things take a turn for the worse when the dead return to stake their claim on the Earth, and though the chaos that follows threatens to swallow up all of England, it's up to Shaun to keep his cool and prove himself once and for all by successfully rescuing Liz and his mother. With his trusty roommate by his side, nothing -- not even the living dead -- can stand between Shaun and the two most important women in his life.
    Overall it
  26. Sep 24, 2012
    Shaun of the Dead is a romantic zombie horror comedy movie about two men, one called Shaun and the other called Ed they are best friends, they like to stay home, lounge about drink coffee and play video games. Shaun wants to get back together with his ex girlfriend. He soon finds out that a zombie apocalypse is happening and he starts getting worried about his family, friends and of course his ex girlfriend. This movie is very funny you will have a lot of laughs. I like it because it is a more comedic take on a zombie movie which hasn Expand
  27. Jul 24, 2012
    Plenty of gore, but it's all played for laughs. Simon Pegg is a terrifically comic actor and always knows how to make people laugh. Despite the panic-stricken individuals running around aimlessly, this film has a tight zombie-romance-comedy edge to it and some of the killings are just hilarious. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, which it isn't, but it doesn't reduce it to slapstick and toilet humour either. This film enters straight through the middle instead. Although it had zombies in it, there was a lot of comedy because most things were played for laughs, but there were a few horrific moments. Makes Shaun's monotonous life much more exciting and probably anyone else's life as well. Take control of your life, like Shaun - even if it includes the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  28. May 1, 2012
    This is a great movie. The jokes are well timed and witty. The pacing is excellent and it seemed to me that the movie lasts shorter than it does. Simon Pegg is excellent and quite believable as a Shaun the hero. The movie is a real refreshment in the Zombie genre.
  29. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans of mainly 'Zombie' movies and other gory horror-movies, will be entertained by this movie. I Actually don't watch any zombie movie... but I really really enjoy this one... Very entertaining from start till it run out of gas... Expand
  30. Nov 18, 2011
    I am not quite sure how any one person can sit through even ten minutes of a film such as this, let alone watch to whole darn thing. 'Shaun of the Dead' deserves no rating higher than what i have chosen to rate it, and believe anyone who actually feels like this film is worthy of production, should reconsider their life choices.

1. A gleefully gory, pitch-perfect parody of George Romero's zombie films. But this isn't a movie about other movies. Shaun of the Dead stands on its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    Extremely funny, side splitting good time.
  3. Reviewed by: Ray Bennett
    It's worth sticking around for the coda too as it contains some hilarious and very politically incorrect suggestions as to how zombies might be put to work once they've been tamed.