6.5

1. May 29, 2011
    Amanda Bynes proves to be a star again... the movie was hilarious. I laughed right from the first scene to the last. No other teen movie so far has been so funny and so lovable. The movie is based on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. It's about Viola (Amanda) whose soccer dreams are shattered when her school cuts the girl's team. Since the coach refuses to try the boy's team she takes revenge of them by disguising herself as Sebastian (her twin brother) and goes to his school(Illyria) while her brother goes to London for his Music. Amanda mets Duke (Channing Tatum) in the new school and he is in love with Olivia (Laura) who falls in love with Sebastian (Amanda) who loves Duke......The story revolves around Amanda's ambition to beat her old school soccer team. Her day to day experiences at new school are beautifully portrayed. Nobody could have done the character Sebastian so funny as she did. The movie is perfect for everyone... All the characters in the movie were well picked... Hats off to the director. The choice of Vinnie Jones as coach is Perfect.T hough soccer plays an important part,the movie deals with all emotions like strong friendship, true love, family, hatred, jealousy etc.. This movie is a must see for all Amanda fans. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    [spoiler] AMAZING. As a teenager watching this and still believing in true love and happily ever afters, this movie brought it all the way home for me.
    The love between Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum in the final scenes were absolutely heartwarming - they look so good together! They are both terrific actors, and with Amanda as the lead actress, she really brought forth the comical
    aspect of this movie. Soccer, High-school Love, Drama, Girl Cat-fights, Carnivals & Kissing Booths, Girl disguised as guy.....what's not to love about this movie? :) A terrific family-friendly film geared towards teen girls specifically. Very well done and totally worth watching. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    A wonderful and awesome film! Brings great passion towards the sport, with secrets, relationships, and of course some fun laughs. Enjoyable characters and a well directed movie and ending.
  4. Jan 1, 2014
    This film failed to impress me. Amanda Bynes is the only decent part of it as she plays her role well but apart from that the rest of it just went for goal but fell flat on it's face.
  5. May 22, 2013
    I don't like it that much.

She's the man is supposed to be like a modern version of WIlliam Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, and boy modernising this sort of thing does not work well. When Viola Hastings (played by Amanda Bynes) football team gets cut off she wants to be able to play in the boys team. Her brother Sebastian (played by James Kirk) has to go to London to play his music and
    tells her to call up his school and tell them that he is sick or some sort of excuse. Instead, she decides to dress up as his brother so he can play in the boys soccer team.

To be honest I don't like this movie. Why? Well firstly, William Shakespeare's version can be better by miles. Why? I will explain now. Although it is based off of the story of Twelfth night, it doesn't follow much of it. The only bit it follows is where Viola becomes a transvestite and dresses up as a man. But when you get into it, it's almost like some sort of b**ch contest of who can snog who, which is barely anything like Twelfth night.

Yes there is a dueling scene in Twelfth night but neither of them want to fight. Here, it's just a contest of who snogs who's face. It has it's awkward situations yes but mainly girls fight and men fight and fallouts happen. I don't recall any of that happening in Twelfth night, but perhaps they're changing it to their own story. But the thing is though they name most of the Characters for the story. They have Viola, Olivia and they even have the school name as Illyria. Heck I think one of the characters is named Andrew (Sir Andrew Ague-cheek.)

Moving on the acting and dialogue at the start is horrible in my opinion. There's barely that much emotion in it. It gets a little better though. The characters are complete jerks as well. Even the transvestite Sebastian character is a bit of a smug/swag kid. Oh it doesn't just stop there, there are complete creeps and weirdos in this movie as well. There was a scene (I can't remember a character) where a man was talking to his pillow with a crushes face on it. Isn't that a little...creepy? And there are characters who are those girls who don't understand the meaning of "He doesn't like you." Some of it is like Bribe wars to me.

But at the beginning the characters are jerks.
    "It's a scientific fact that boys are better than girls." ~Cornwall coach (I think)
    That's not a scientific fact, that is just sexist and discriminative bull****! And finally, the jokes...

The jokes overall aren't that clever. Most of them are just immature jokes, gross out jokes and the awkward moments just seem a little weird. Slapstick comedy, oh god that's hilarious. (Note my sarcasm.) These are sort of like 12 year old jokes, and note I am 13 writing this review. Some jokes are a little funny but these are very far and very few between each other.

Finally, I know this may sound bad as a opinion but...the soundtrack. Oh god most of the soundtrack is awful. It's just pop music which isn't very good soundtrack at all and my ears were just bleeding. The introduction sequence was full of pop. It just drove me f***ing insane. I'd rather watch some other terrible movie, it would probably have a better soundtrack/song selection. But anyway these are just all the signs to a bad movie that earns big bucks.

Bad song choice. Tick.
    Jerks and creeps as characters. Tick.
    10-12 year old jokes. Tick.
    Slapstick comedy. Tick.
    Bad acting (at the start it does get a little better.) Tick
    Barely follows what it is based off (Twelfth night) although they name most of the characters the characters from that. Oh you better f***ing tick that!

In conclusion, I don't like this movie. When I saw this movie I was a little disappointed that one of Shakespeare's works has been turned into a terrible film flop. Thank you for reading this review. I give this film a 1/10 and I do not recommend you to see it. It's mostly aimed at 10 year olds with barely any sense of humour. Because you know things like tampons and gross things like nudity and things like slapstick is funny right? Oh yeah that's hilarious. (Again not my sarcasm.)

A review by Critic Charles.

1. Fails to exploit the myriad comedic possibilities, settling instead for broad, unconvincing slapstick aimed at 12-year-olds and gags Shakespeare would have rejected as ancient.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    As insistent as its heroine to get its point across, She's the Man gathers up enough energy and likeable goodwill that it almost skirts past some extremely strained passages in which Bynes plays out being a boy.
  3. Reviewed by: Jordan Harper
    Doesn't have an unpredictable moment in it, borrowing heavily from just about every sports movie or teen comedy ever and, oh yeah, "Twelfth Night."