Fine Line Features | Release Date: November 20, 1996
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 50 Ratings
WATCH NOW
GeorgeM.Sep 15, 2005
Deep, full of love, perfectly acted and brings up the question: who is really insane?
0 of 0 users found this helpful
FelixQ.Jul 25, 2006
Truly a piece of art. So many times are mentally handicapped people- whether having been born that way or later becoming so- portrayed in a very cookie cutter way. I am Sam and The Other Sister come to mind- although these two films are both Truly a piece of art. So many times are mentally handicapped people- whether having been born that way or later becoming so- portrayed in a very cookie cutter way. I am Sam and The Other Sister come to mind- although these two films are both great in their own respect and fulfill a very important role, Shine goes the route that desperately needed to be explored. I think one thing that sets this apart for me was the format. We don't follow the younger David only to be told *Shock!* he suffers a mental setback! We're not focusing on the fact, either. This film is about the man behind the talent, and the talent that fronts a mental ilness that proved to be David's challenge in place of possibly poverty or a physical disability. We explore the diversity of a character instead of getting pre-occupied by his set-backs. I would say, for me, this missed the 10/10 because it's so very much a product of it's time. Of course, the time stamp is inevitable, but there have been great films that have transcended that- this one did not. But still an amazing piece of art, when all is said and done. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
EpicLadySpongeApr 7, 2016
Shine really shines. No one can ever explain how Shine is a great movie unless they have actually watched the entire movie from opening logos to ending credits. Talk back to me to tell if Shine is great or not.
nutterjrNov 1, 2011
Geoffrey Rush is phenomenal in this movie, the kind of performance that turns this into a must see film and deservedly won an Oscar among other accolades. Armin Mueller-Stahl is also brilliant and although outshone by Rush, still deserves a mention.
Compi24Jan 25, 2013
Just when I thought I had most of the best "biographical dramas" accounted for, "Shine" comes out of left field and gloriously sideswipes me with its beautifully inspiring story, provocative structure, and its manifestly perfect performanceJust when I thought I had most of the best "biographical dramas" accounted for, "Shine" comes out of left field and gloriously sideswipes me with its beautifully inspiring story, provocative structure, and its manifestly perfect performance from Geoffrey Rush. Expand
FranzHcriticAug 23, 2013
The story is slightly tepid, which adds the interest. But Geoffrey Rush, man he's f***ing amazing! This is dead on to the real dude, I mean that oscar was deserved! That's all I can describe it as. DEAD F***ING ON!.
BroyaxJan 4, 2017
C'est l'histoire d'un Rain man virtuose du piano, victime dans sa jeunesse d'un père despotique et paranoïaque, un brave garçon devenu Rain man à l'insu de son plein gré, à moitié bègue, agité, hyperactif et piano-compulsif à ses heuresC'est l'histoire d'un Rain man virtuose du piano, victime dans sa jeunesse d'un père despotique et paranoïaque, un brave garçon devenu Rain man à l'insu de son plein gré, à moitié bègue, agité, hyperactif et piano-compulsif à ses heures perdues.

Mais tout va mieux, car comme dans Rain man, des gens gentils s'occupent de lui -en dehors des hommes en blanc je veux dire- et malgré ses tics et ses tocs (comme se balader à poil sous l'imper -cf l'affiche qui vous résume le film en une image) il mène presque une existence normale et semble négocier un retour à la réalité si l'on peut dire.

Bref, comme Rain man, le film est niaiseux et sirupeux ; il serait également très ennuyeux ou plutôt totalement ennuyeux et sans grand intérêt s'il n'était centré sur la musique, la grande musique bien entendu, et notamment le magnifique Concerto N°3 de Rachmaninov dont Rain man nous joue de nombreux extraits.

Après Prokofiev, Rachmaninov est en effet l'un des compositeurs les plus difficiles à jouer et y parvenir est un vrai défi. C'est l'occasion de voir évidemment un véritable prodige soumettre le piano et en faire de l'art et de l'or à l'état pur. Cela ne sauve pas le film mais ça aide à faire passer.