7.7

1. Mar 29, 2015
    It's nothing special. However, a combination of appealing performances, intriguing plot twists and exciting action sequences mean that we're never less than entertained. It's the execution that matters, and for the most part ... the formula is executed well.
  2. Nov 6, 2014
    This movie is very good, and if you're into guns or snipers then you'll love this movie. It's filled with lots of action and plot twists that you won't see coming. Towards the end is spectacular, and it will leave you with wanting more of the movie. It's one of those movies that you can watch multiple times and not get bored of. It also has some great acting in it to boot. You shouldThis movie is very good, and if you're into guns or snipers then you'll love this movie. It's filled with lots of action and plot twists that you won't see coming. Towards the end is spectacular, and it will leave you with wanting more of the movie. It's one of those movies that you can watch multiple times and not get bored of. It also has some great acting in it to boot. You should definitely take the time to watch the movie. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2014
    Was this movie made by some sort of location-freak? Was it all an excuse to show me different parts of america or something? Because other than that, all I've seen is a mediocre plot and an ending that didn't make the hero look either like a good guy or an anti-hero or a bad guy, it was just stupid and wrong and, I don't know, edgy?

Action movie my ass, if they were aiming for something

Action movie my ass, if they were aiming for something not particularly deep but full of action they would have definitely cut on that stupid plot going on interrupting the movie every two seconds. Not that I'd have preferred it that way, I'm just saying that this fails both as an action movie or a plot-driven movie. Literally what the hell did I just watch.
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    Very rarely where a film tries to copy the Jason Bourne franchise and fail. It follows the framed person trying to clear his name, and then turns into a complete mess, filled with uninteresting politics and how the government is corrupted. Compare to the Bourne series, it's pretty tame. It goes for adding plot elements that even re-watching it, it will still leave you confused. The actionVery rarely where a film tries to copy the Jason Bourne franchise and fail. It follows the framed person trying to clear his name, and then turns into a complete mess, filled with uninteresting politics and how the government is corrupted. Compare to the Bourne series, it's pretty tame. It goes for adding plot elements that even re-watching it, it will still leave you confused. The action is decent but doesn't pull any new or tried something that hasn't been done recently. The characters generic and the finale changes the tone and not in a good way. It's like the writer just made things up as he went along. Anybody who wants to see a smart thriller involving the government should avoid this, unless you want to leave in confusion; you better stick with the Jason Bourne franchise, it's done better in terms of writing acting, directing and doesn't need to be complex to be good. Expand
  5. Dec 18, 2013
    "Shooter" may be as predictable as gravity, but in the company of some truly fascinating realism, some brilliant effects work, and an magnetically bleak political philosophy, the film ultimately endures as yet another solid piece of action-thriller work from Antoine Fuqua.
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    Shooter works. Those are two simple words to describe this gripping political drama. Mark Wahlberg is epic as usual and Micheal Pena does good too but Mark rocks. The edgy and crispy story works with great direction by Antione Faqua.
  7. Jul 28, 2013
    The plot is definitely not plausible at all, but yet it was entertaining. The acting was good and there was definitely plenty of action. This is not a great film, but it is still very good entertainment.
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a great movie and goes to show once again that the critics really have no idea what they're talking about. They seemed to get too caught up in the politics of the film but that's really just a minor part in what is mainly just your good ole action movie. If they didn't like guns and blood, don't watch a rated R movie called shooter. Mark Wahlberg is fantastic and the supportingThis is a great movie and goes to show once again that the critics really have no idea what they're talking about. They seemed to get too caught up in the politics of the film but that's really just a minor part in what is mainly just your good ole action movie. If they didn't like guns and blood, don't watch a rated R movie called shooter. Mark Wahlberg is fantastic and the supporting cast is also great. Michael Pena and Danny Glover are both really good and Kate Mara is amazing. She's definitely one of the most underrated actresses in Hollywood. The gun element is really nice to watch also. The plot develops well and the story flows nicely. Honestly, the only flaws in the film for me are the sometimes corny dialogue and a few minor errors. Overall Shooter is a great movie that action film fans will certainly enjoy. Expand
  9. Feb 24, 2013
    From the Funky Bunch to action movie star, it's been a long road for Mark Wahlberg. A long road filled with a lot of bad movies, but in recent years he has finally mastered his craft and Shooter is the crown jewel. This is the perfect action movie! A GREAT story, several plot twists, and lots of explosions. Wahlberg was the perfect choice to play Swagger and really brings to life the bestFrom the Funky Bunch to action movie star, it's been a long road for Mark Wahlberg. A long road filled with a lot of bad movies, but in recent years he has finally mastered his craft and Shooter is the crown jewel. This is the perfect action movie! A GREAT story, several plot twists, and lots of explosions. Wahlberg was the perfect choice to play Swagger and really brings to life the best intended parts of his character. This is an absolute can't miss movie for action fans. I was truly in awe! Expand
  10. Dec 28, 2012
    I love this movie I honestly think it;s Mark Walhbergs best work. Movie had the best ending, good plots, really good actors/actress. Hopefully we get to see this Mark Walhberg in his new movie Broken city
  11. Dec 1, 2012
    To first address the pros, "Shooter" is an engrossing and well-made thriller following a military sniper's chaotic leave of retirement after he's deceived into a new assignment and finds himself on the run from corrupt government officials. Mark Wahlberg is decent in his role as the ex-soldier turned fugitive, and Danny Glover's performance is fairly engaging, while Michael Pena is largelyTo first address the pros, "Shooter" is an engrossing and well-made thriller following a military sniper's chaotic leave of retirement after he's deceived into a new assignment and finds himself on the run from corrupt government officials. Mark Wahlberg is decent in his role as the ex-soldier turned fugitive, and Danny Glover's performance is fairly engaging, while Michael Pena is largely forgettable and unconvincing as an FBI agent who is somewhat messily pulled into the fray. The action can also be fun at times.

However, ultimately, "Shooter" lost me with its dark, cynical and corrupt atmosphere. Whatever its true purpose, the film paints government as an evil and ruthless mugshot on our wall. Our villains, who lack any discernible thread of humanity or therefore plausibility, are perhaps two of the more callous and heartless government officials you'll find in a film, and they are virtually the only piece of government focused on in the film. There is a brief snapshot of attempted justice near the end, but that is conveniently written through a loose legal loophole to make way for a quick and bloody finale of retribution, so in the end I suppose the message is to be a vigilante and ignore all the rules since Big Brother is apparently no more than a sexually abusive, mass-murdering thug.

I can't say if it was the movie's intention to be so pointed in its presentation, but "Shooter" is nonetheless a pointedly pessimistic film, and for me its scowling nature wasn't quite up my alley.
  12. Nov 15, 2012
    Great movie. Good suspense. Loved to watch it until the very end. A solid and intelligent thriller with a credible Mark Wahlberg as Bobby Lee, well researched delivering high class action. Watch it!
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    The movie just simply excited me..., and Mark Walhberg fit himself in the role nicely and neatly. In addition, the storyline turned itself quickly into the disappointment of Americans since the 2000 election and the 9/11 attack.
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    Despite a few obvious flaws such as average acting by the cast, Shooter is actually a pretty good film. The story is interesting and keeps you entertained from start to finish. Wahlberg does a decent job as the lead in this film. Definently worth checking out.
  15. Feb 10, 2012
    Comment un réalisateur comme Antoine Fuqua, qui a pu pondre une merveille avec Training Day, peut-il descendre aussi bas dans la sobriété? Car oui, Shooter est un film "trop" classique, qui n'a pas peur d'user jusqu'au bout des personnages et des clihés mille fois vues, sans pour autant révolutionner quoi que ce soit dans leComment un réalisateur comme Antoine Fuqua, qui a pu pondre une merveille avec Training Day, peut-il descendre aussi bas dans la sobriété? Car oui, Shooter est un film "trop" classique, qui n'a pas peur d'user jusqu'au bout des personnages et des clihés mille fois vues, sans pour autant révolutionner quoi que ce soit dans le genre "film d'action de série B". Et le pire, c'est que le film se prend trop au sérieux pour être véritablement intéressant. A la limite, un bon nanar avec Stallone ou Van Damme passe bien... Non, franchement, Shooter est un banal divertissement qui se laisse regarder (faut quand même le reconnaître), mais qui n'est ni réussi, ni efficace, ni mémorable! Expand
  16. Dec 19, 2011
    It was a good and interesting film and imo it was Wahlberg at his best. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I still watch it whenever it comes on TV. Well worth watching.
  17. TonyH
    May 8, 2009
    Ok, maybe I let my guard down a little toomuch when I go to see an action movie, but this one really seemed to have a story and kept to it. Sure, it was a little predictable, but to sit back and watch how the story unfolded was really enjoyable.
  18. R.Lopez
    Dec 15, 2008
    Great! The Shooter is completely engrossing and totally fun from beginning to end. Mark Whalberg stars as Bob Lee Swayger, a retired Marine sniper who after lossing his best friend and spotter dissapears from site, to live out his days alone in succlusion. ten years later he is appraoched by Colonel Issac Johnson who asks him to use his knowledge to stop an assasination attempt on the Great! The Shooter is completely engrossing and totally fun from beginning to end. Mark Whalberg stars as Bob Lee Swayger, a retired Marine sniper who after lossing his best friend and spotter dissapears from site, to live out his days alone in succlusion. ten years later he is appraoched by Colonel Issac Johnson who asks him to use his knowledge to stop an assasination attempt on the president. And that's where the stroy explodes into a take no prisioners thriller that will have your pulse racing. and your adrenaline pumping hard all the way to end. I very highly reccomend this movie. Expand
  19. WilliamT
    Aug 23, 2008
    While the plot may seem a little holed to those who have not read the novel by Stephen Hunter, Shooter is a considerable thriller with some nice action sequences and decent acting from the whole cast and you'll never find yourself bored.
  20. BasilE.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Very good movie, good plot good action, good acting!!
  21. TomM.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Thought the actuall presidental assasintation story could of been longer but i liked the movie... had alot of cool camera angles and some badass explosions.
  22. JessR.
    Feb 3, 2008
    an amazing movie
  23. AStumpf
    Jan 6, 2008
    This movie is great, the actors (esp. Mark Wahlberg) couldn't be better.
  24. AdamB.
    Dec 1, 2007
    I have seen other action movies that are done decently, with good or decent acting, good plot and good story line, but something that always catches my eye in other movies is how people handle the weapons and how the weapons behave. Shooter is without a doubt the best movie for realistic weapons and physics. With the exception of the Bishop assassination (there wouldn't have been I have seen other action movies that are done decently, with good or decent acting, good plot and good story line, but something that always catches my eye in other movies is how people handle the weapons and how the weapons behave. Shooter is without a doubt the best movie for realistic weapons and physics. With the exception of the Bishop assassination (there wouldn't have been much left of him). It does have somewhat of a cliche' storyline; one good guy vs lots of bad guys with a girl involved. I haven't seen an action/conspiracy movie this good since the first Die Hard, and I have to say that this movie is as good, or possibly better than that classic. Expand
  25. ShaikA.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Awesome Movie. Full of Action and horror!
    Nov 10, 2007
    Shooter delivers, intricate, explosive action, and also tries to make a commentary about corruption. It's not quite coherent enoguh to pull off the latter, but you'll find yourself pleased and entertained and thrilled nonetheless.
  27. JoyceC.
    Oct 5, 2007
    A letdown by serious concept, and a hugely boring adventure.
  28. JCA.
    Oct 5, 2007
    fell asleep during the first 20 minutes and awoke up by the sound of a good guy shooting bullets at people that do not deserve to die. Shooter is no hero, he has issues.
  29. AndrewL.
    Aug 15, 2007
    I love this movie, the attention to detail is extreme. I am a sniper/gun nut/hunter myself and usually spend most of my time poking holes in movies with guns, explosives etc. I could not fault the movie at all on the technicals. This doesn't happen often. The the movie also features my favorite rifle, the Barrett .50 Cal. I would recommend that gun nuts watch his movie
  30. Mangopork!
    Aug 5, 2007
    Mark Wahlberg does his violent, unapologetic take on vigilante anti-government spy action in an unrelated offshoot reminiscent of "The Bourne" Series, and comes up aces. A Fun, Tight, Cathartic Action-Thriller-Drama full of wit, balls, and heart. While Shooter won't reinvent the action genre, it'll damn sure give you a good time. Recommended for action movie fans.
  31. JaredC.
    Jul 18, 2007
    This gripping action thriller progressively contained a bunch of perfect drama scenes and used time well. Nothing can beat this unstoppable curse of magnificence and excellence.
  32. fredbob
    Jul 16, 2007
    A great movie that i think is one everyone should see, unless you're not an action fan.
  33. BruceC
    Jul 9, 2007
    Formulaic pap. How NOT to treat a decent writer's work in transforming to celluloid. We all knew what was going to happen 10 minutes into the movie. Team America, anyone? Oh, and has Danny Glover had a stroke? WHAT was with his diction?
  34. TomC.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Loved it.. A great revenge movie!!!
  35. RubenN.
    Jul 1, 2007
    At some point in the film, Metal Gear Solid came to mind. The music, the character, the weapons, all just screamed Solid Snake. But besides that, I still found it to be an excellent action movie. The beginning blows you AWAY, but the last 5 minutes of the film were a bit too fast, the ending, ahh... too skinny.
  36. ShaneL
    Jul 1, 2007
    There hasn't been an straightforward, no BS action movie of this caliber since the 80's. This is all the high quality, good-guy-kicks-butt action without the cheese and cliches, with very good performances by the entire cast, most notably Wahlberg. Critics who pan this movie forget that movies are made to entertain. One of the few movies where the entire audience claps at the There hasn't been an straightforward, no BS action movie of this caliber since the 80's. This is all the high quality, good-guy-kicks-butt action without the cheese and cliches, with very good performances by the entire cast, most notably Wahlberg. Critics who pan this movie forget that movies are made to entertain. One of the few movies where the entire audience claps at the end, Shooter is a real treat. Expand
  37. Ira
    Jun 28, 2007
    Thought it was great! Exciting, interesting, non-stop action. Hadn't been so happy that the good guy pulled it off since Reno Williams or Commando!
  38. MikeK.
    May 14, 2007
    This is a real go getter of a flick. Both my wife and I loved it.
  39. Erica
    May 11, 2007
    I really loved it. The scenery in some shots were amazing and the action and suspense kept my attention until the very end.
  40. PatrickC.
    May 8, 2007
    Shooter was an entertaining film. It had an interesting story, Marky Mark had another good performance following the Departed and the action was rock solid. Although Danny Glover must retire. He was awful in Saw and has an equally awful performance in Shooter. If you can get passed his performance you might be able to fully enjoy the action packed thrill ride that is Shooter.
  41. VasantH.
    May 4, 2007
    Very good action movie.The director has stuck to the basics,the plots good..some very good acting by the characters and also the subbordinates.some new action scenes with the rifles .Offcourse a good movie experience.
  42. CalvinH.
    Apr 20, 2007
    You know I'm not much of a fan of movies that are "action" with guns you know except for Mission:Impossible and a couple others. My dad is obsessed with those kinds of movies so he dragged me along and you know it wasn't half bad. The action was really cool and Mark Whalberg did really well.
  43. AdamE.
    Apr 19, 2007
    With excellent action, a decent conspiracy plot and a main character who's cooler than bond shooter succeeds due to it's occasional flourishes of originality and makes an enjoyable trip to the theater.
  44. Alex
    Apr 16, 2007
    Well, it certainly wasn't the best movie i've ever seen. but its nowhere near the worst, either. that mantle goes to The Forgotten. Shooter is a fairly typical thriller/action movie that can be summed up rather simply: violence, light plot, violence, more violence, plot twist, car chase, violence, explosions, violence, more plot, violence, happy ending, roll credits. even though Well, it certainly wasn't the best movie i've ever seen. but its nowhere near the worst, either. that mantle goes to The Forgotten. Shooter is a fairly typical thriller/action movie that can be summed up rather simply: violence, light plot, violence, more violence, plot twist, car chase, violence, explosions, violence, more plot, violence, happy ending, roll credits. even though most of the actors names sound like they belong in cheesy comedies (Danny Glover, for example), most of them manage to fill their roll quite nicely (there are a couple odd exceptions though). most of the fight scenes rated about an 8 on the "this could only happen in hollywood fights" meter. a 10 would be something like Jackie Chan movies or the Bourne Identity. a 1 would be something along the lines of Barney. my favorite part of the movie had to be the rifles, however. especially the CheyTec Intervention Rifle (the one Wahlberg uses to shoot the soup can). definitely a action-lover's movie, and more so for gun fanatics. Overall, 7.5 out of 10. Expand
  45. ShawnC.
    Apr 9, 2007
    Is it great? No. Is it enjoyable? Sure. Wahlberg is always better in weirder roles, but he certainly fits in the role of an angered veteran intent on getting even. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect.
  46. Frank
    Apr 9, 2007
    Silly ending and also legally inaccurate. Why such a violent ending? If Gov't contractors commit illegal acts they are subject to U.S. laws contrary to what the U.S. Attorney General said (note: Iraq). The movie would have been better to reveal what really happened to CNN and then let justice take its course.
  47. StevenR.
    Apr 7, 2007
    This was a great action film. Beautifully shot and directed. The story was engaging and tense. The performances were great. Highly recommended!
  48. AKing
    Apr 6, 2007
    Overlong gun advertisement about a murderer getting caught up with some other murderers and doing some murdering. Quite disgusting.
  49. MattG.
    Mar 29, 2007
    Wife & I just came back from seeing it last night and we LOVED IT. Everythign about it. Being a distance shooter myself I found it to be very accurate and precise in their targeting. While it IS just a movie they certainly did their homework on the finer details. Enjoyed it from beginning to end. Excellent effects and Mark was great in his role. Conspiracies about in both the movies and Wife & I just came back from seeing it last night and we LOVED IT. Everythign about it. Being a distance shooter myself I found it to be very accurate and precise in their targeting. While it IS just a movie they certainly did their homework on the finer details. Enjoyed it from beginning to end. Excellent effects and Mark was great in his role. Conspiracies about in both the movies and real world, one would have to be blind to realize throughout history there wasnt - and still will be. Was odd tho how only 1 of the FBI guys, a new'b 3 weeks out of the academy was the only one with the brains to question and dig deeper into the nuances that led to the framing of Mark's character. Overall, AWESOME movie and we intend to go and see it again before too long. Expand
  50. CraigA.
    Mar 28, 2007
    While it makes some attempts to appeal to any Liberals in the audience (who've probably wandered in to the wrong screen while looking for Pan's Labyrinth) by being all "current" and mumbling about Abu Ghraib and Donald Rumsfeld, this film is basically an 80's-style, one-man-army, things-blowing-up, murder-a-thon straight out of Arnie's back catalogue. The moral message While it makes some attempts to appeal to any Liberals in the audience (who've probably wandered in to the wrong screen while looking for Pan's Labyrinth) by being all "current" and mumbling about Abu Ghraib and Donald Rumsfeld, this film is basically an 80's-style, one-man-army, things-blowing-up, murder-a-thon straight out of Arnie's back catalogue. The moral message behind it is "justice = a bullet". But isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place? Thinking that the ills of society (ours or Iraq's) can be solve with a bullet or a noose? Everything is on show here: gun-worship, violence against women, legitimate torture... Wahlberg disappoints as an unconvincing hillbilly called Bob Lee Swagger (for crying out loud) out to murder his way to the top of a conspiracy - and then what? The film stops. What have we learned? That yanks love guns? But we knew that already. It's not the edgy political thriller it seems to be in the trailer. Its a blood-soaked nihilistic explosion-fest aimed at frat-boys. Expand
  51. MarkB.
    Mar 27, 2007
    Stephen Hunter, on whose novel Point of Impact this is based, is not only a crack writer of thrillers, but in his other life is one of the sharpest, wittiest and most perceptive movie critics currently working. (His Washington Post reviews are frequently displayed on this site--see for yourself!) Hunter is a military buff, a gun enthusiast and a political conservative, but unlike certain Stephen Hunter, on whose novel Point of Impact this is based, is not only a crack writer of thrillers, but in his other life is one of the sharpest, wittiest and most perceptive movie critics currently working. (His Washington Post reviews are frequently displayed on this site--see for yourself!) Hunter is a military buff, a gun enthusiast and a political conservative, but unlike certain other Republican movie reviewers we could name (are you listening, Michael Medved? Didn't think so.) Hunter doesn't feel the need to have his personal politics seep into and dominate every word he writes; he's perfectly capable of appreciating and enjoying the skill with which Barbara Koppel made the Dixie Chicks documentary Shut Up & Sing while still thinking that singer Natalie Maines is a loudmouth blowhard, even though he undoubtedly knows that Koppel and Maines are on the same ideological page. And his novels, most of which center on either ex-Marine sniper Bob Lee Swagger or his Mississippi police sergeant father Earl, are catnip even for someone like me who's bored silly by Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy; if you buy or borrow any of them, prepare to take the next day off from work because they're truly unputdownable. That's why Shooter, in which Bob Lee (Mark Wahlberg) is duped by the US government into masterminding an assassination that's intended to go awry but instead goes in an entirely different direction that leaves him a scapegoat and a fugitive, is surprising on two different levels. First off, no big-studio movie since The Constant Gardener (which was actually released through Universal's boutique label, Focus) has been this blatant in shouting its take on America's less-than-completely-altruistic overseas activities, which no doubt will make this a discomfiting night at the movies for those who believe that the last conspiracy our government was involved in had to do with hiding Bill's Whitewater documents and Monica's dress. That's no cinematic sin, however, no matter what your political stripe, but being utterly mediocre, generic and boring is another story...and unfortunately, except for an expository scene involving an old geezer and gun expert (rocker Levon Helm, who's just wonderful here and whose delivery is very reminiscent of the late, lamented Richard Farnsworth) and a bloody climactic shootout in which Swagger manages to disarm his enemies, Shooter is sadly guilty. And Wahlberg, who fully deserved all the praise and the Oscar nomination he got as the theatrically foulmouthed cop in The Departed, is completely wrong as Bob Lee. In Hunter's books, he's a bigger than life, mythic, strong-but-silent figure, an amalgam of John Fenimore Cooper's Deerslayer, John Ford's The Ringo Kid, Sergio Leone's and Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name and Sly Stallone's John Rambo, but as Wahlberg plays him, he's a muscled pretty boy who gets a little smudged. And Wahlberg doesn't even TRY to get the Southern accent--but don't worry, overactress Kate Mara, as a buddy's widow who offers him refuge, does enough of one for both of them. Trendily grimy cinematography (even in the outdoor scenes) and director Antoine Fuqua's sloppy storytelling (he shows Wahlberg and Mara preparing their defense with rows of cans of whipped cream but neglects to tell us what they're for, and I doubt that they're using the stuff for a kinky breather from the action) make me anxious for Hunter the film critic to avenge the crime done to Hunter the novelist by opening up an even bigger can of you-know-what on the moviemakers who trashed his work than Bob Lee Swagger does on those who betrayed HIM. Expand
  52. ChadS.
    Mar 26, 2007
    Mark Wahlberg's character simply doesn't make any sense. Bob Lee Swagger is like a composite of left- and right-wing sensibilities in an effort on the filmmaker's part to be fair and balanced. This millitary sniper is no naif; he knows our government regularly lies to it people, but still he participates in a reconnaisance mission that should smell trouble to any conspiracy Mark Wahlberg's character simply doesn't make any sense. Bob Lee Swagger is like a composite of left- and right-wing sensibilities in an effort on the filmmaker's part to be fair and balanced. This millitary sniper is no naif; he knows our government regularly lies to it people, but still he participates in a reconnaisance mission that should smell trouble to any conspiracy paranoiac who surfs the web and owns a copy of the "9/11 Commission Report". Swagger should be G.I. Joe, not Oliver Stone. After "Shooter" is through evoking our memories of the J.F.K. assasination, this film goes formulaic on us, on fugitive-on-the-run autopilot. The torture scenes are ugly, as are the exploding body parts and liberal bombast. "Shooter" would've made more sense(for the sake of a character arc) had Swagger turned into Rambo after the frame job; but he's cynical from the first frame rather than having an unequivocally patriotic relationship with his country, which would've made for better drama when the shadow government attempts to patsy him. Expand
  53. IrfanB.
    Mar 25, 2007
    Total dude flick! Not a date movie. Better acting than Rambo with Bourne Identity like action, but you've probably heard that already. No amnesia here and the commanding officer is the bad guy... ooops, not a spoiler.
  54. BillyB.
    Mar 25, 2007
    This movie has an overall good story line and some pretty sweet explosions, but it seemed to me that this beat up ex sniper was too good for his role and not very believable
  55. JJ
    Mar 25, 2007
    The last 15-20 minutes (starting with the helicopters-on-the-mountain scene) spoiled what had been a pretty fun and entertaining action flick. Wahlberg and Mara were good. Danny Glover seemed old, as did Ned Beatty (I guess they ARE old). Not a great movie but definitely a worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours.
  56. ShawnU.
    Mar 24, 2007
    If some parts wasn't slow it could have been a great film. Acting wise seems a little bit awkward. But it was a 'good' movie but not great.
  57. TonyB.
    Mar 24, 2007
    If movies are meant to entertain, and if that is why you got to the movies, then you will enjoy this as I did. If you are looking for reality or a movie based on real events or events that are believable, this is not it. But if you want to have some fun and suspend belief, which is what I go to the movies for, then see it. BTW, Mark Wahlberg was excellent, as was most of the supporting cast.
  58. MarcoPolo
    Mar 24, 2007
    It's very amazing how one day Mark Wahberg is up for an Academy Award for The Departed, and the next, he's the star of this poorly executed, mind bogglingly bad hybrid of Kennan Wyan's' (laughably bad) Most Wanted or Sly's (underrated) First Blood. It's almost as if any Oscar winner (or nominee) has a clause in their contracts to be the star vehicle in a It's very amazing how one day Mark Wahberg is up for an Academy Award for The Departed, and the next, he's the star of this poorly executed, mind bogglingly bad hybrid of Kennan Wyan's' (laughably bad) Most Wanted or Sly's (underrated) First Blood. It's almost as if any Oscar winner (or nominee) has a clause in their contracts to be the star vehicle in a stupid movie to somehow dull their gold plated star status. But in Antoine Fuqua's latest movie the Shooter, any attempt to reclaim the success of his waaay better Training Day is moot. It goes without saying that he and the rest of the cast and crew have failed misarably at bringing something new to the table. Unfortunately a plot as bad as the one in the Shooter ultimately fails to redeem the potential of what may have been. The action sets (barely) contain a glimmer of a good movie much in the vein of Matt damon's Bourne series, but those films had good scripts and were believable to a point. In the Shooter however, it's safe to say that while things go kablloey and many guns are fired, that the screenwriter's made sure to forgo plot and just spoon feed the audience's thirst for loud bangs and jump start plot twists. Cliche'd to the point of self parody and way too self referential for its own good, this Shooter misses the mark completely and may just be one of the worst action movies in recent memory. Expand
  59. BobC.
    Mar 22, 2007
    Good solid entertainment - Decent adaptation of a Great Stephen Hunter Book, Point of impact. The book is definitely better, but Wahlberg is a pleasure to watch in this role. Its interesting to see references to post 9/11 conspiracy when referencing this story, as it was written well before. Is it an oscar contender? no - but it was well worth the price of admission, and to see a book i Good solid entertainment - Decent adaptation of a Great Stephen Hunter Book, Point of impact. The book is definitely better, but Wahlberg is a pleasure to watch in this role. Its interesting to see references to post 9/11 conspiracy when referencing this story, as it was written well before. Is it an oscar contender? no - but it was well worth the price of admission, and to see a book i enjoyed well represented. Expand
  60. TraceyL.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Shooter is a solid and intelligent thriller. There's even a little something in it for the ladies. Buy some popcorn, sit back, and ENJOY!
  61. Jany&JasonY.
    Mar 18, 2007
    If you
  62. EddieB.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I saw an early screening of The Shooter, and I kinda liked it. Although rife with cliché sequences and characters, the movie had enough funny one-liners, headshots, stuffs blowed up, and memorable supporting performances to keep me entertained. It's not smart like The Fugitive--a few characters and situations in Shooter were a bit over-the-top and underdeveloped to be I saw an early screening of The Shooter, and I kinda liked it. Although rife with cliché sequences and characters, the movie had enough funny one-liners, headshots, stuffs blowed up, and memorable supporting performances to keep me entertained. It's not smart like The Fugitive--a few characters and situations in Shooter were a bit over-the-top and underdeveloped to be believable. If you see the movie, look out for some (intentional?) references to Mark's previous films. Expand

Shooter does what any good thriller should accomplish - it thrills. It's fast-paced, energetic, and doesn't follow a path that seems pre-ordained from the beginning.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Shooter is a generically titled studio action picture that turns out to be a surprisingly deft satire about Americans' loss of faith in their government following the 2000 election, the 9/11 attacks, and the ensuing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Suspended over a deep gully of disbelief, where logic takes more bullets than the bad guys, Shooter still makes the grade as hard-ass action escapism.