6.5

1. JohnC.
    Oct 31, 2005
    Almost every detail is perfect. The DP's work is astonishing. I probably would drop the voice-over... A wonderful film on every level.
  2. joyf.
    Oct 30, 2005
    Wonderful, true, wise, and real..this is the best movie I've seen in ages!!!!!..A story I felt in my heart..
  3. KristinP.
    May 29, 2006
    Apart from the beauty of the score and the cinematography, I appreciated the unique take on romace presented in this film. It isn't often in Hollywood that sex is criticized or put in a psychological or philosophical context; this movie refreshingly shows the limitations of sex in bringing happinenss. This movie isn't a romantic comedy and shouldn't be reviewed as such. Apart from the beauty of the score and the cinematography, I appreciated the unique take on romace presented in this film. It isn't often in Hollywood that sex is criticized or put in a psychological or philosophical context; this movie refreshingly shows the limitations of sex in bringing happinenss. This movie isn't a romantic comedy and shouldn't be reviewed as such. Instead, it's a commentary on the complexity of life and love in our day. Expand
  4. WendyT.
    Oct 24, 2005
    This film was not perfect but it is far better than most of the drivel that hass come to the screen lately. In fact, I could have almost sworn I was watching an "Essential". I love movies that so perfectly illustrate human imperfection... Shopgirl did just that in a true Douglas Sirk fashion.
  5. SueW.
    Oct 30, 2005
    Shopgirl is a smart comedy at the level of "Lost In Translation". I found it funny, thoughtful, and sad and realistic about relationships today.
  6. AndrewT.
    Mar 12, 2006
    An emotionally mature love story: quiet, elegant, really quite beautiful. I lived in LA for 16 years, and the story and acting here ring true. Clare Danes is wonderful.
  7. CharlieS
    Nov 7, 2005
    It's funny that someone else wrote "Unlikeable the same way 'Lost in Translation,'" because I thought it was great in all the ways that LiT was great. It captures the essence of being in one's twenties. Life is might be funny or ironic or entertaining, but it's often awkward and painful, and once in a great while just beautiful.
  8. Sarah
    Oct 21, 2005
    Great movie and perfect casting! I definitely recommend this for guys and girls.
  9. EDUARDOF.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Perfect, Steve Martin will be nominated for the Best Adapted Screenpley Oscar!!!!
  10. KrisW.
    Oct 24, 2005
    I LOVED this movie. You can feel Steve Martin's love for Mirabelle and for Los Angeles. The score is a beautiful engine moving the story forward. Danes' performance is perfect. I'm completely charmed by the whole thing.
  11. LawrenceL.
    May 15, 2006
    It's a sweet and, dare I say it, tender movie. Very beautiful.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Where "Elizabethtown" pretends to have the meaning of life, Shopgirl hones in on a few telling details, then allows audiences to fill in the rest.
  2. A glum meditation on isolation and romantic malaise.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    In any case, the best performance is by Bridgette Wilson-Sampras as the conniving but peppy slut at the perfume counter. Her big scene--farcical, filthy, surprising--is also the best in the movie. Otherwise, Shopgirl is sadly vacuous, with a sadly vacuous center.