4.4

1. Oct 22, 2013
    Time for a total re-evaluation. Yes, SHOWGIRLS is a cult camp classic but it is also a serious meditation on the American obsession with money, power and sex, and how the three are inexorably intertwined in our decadent, vulgar, and puritanical culture. SHOWGIRLS beautifully creates a frenzied environment that could only exist in the whorehouse known as Las Vegas. SHOWGIRLS is as AmericanTime for a total re-evaluation. Yes, SHOWGIRLS is a cult camp classic but it is also a serious meditation on the American obsession with money, power and sex, and how the three are inexorably intertwined in our decadent, vulgar, and puritanical culture. SHOWGIRLS beautifully creates a frenzied environment that could only exist in the whorehouse known as Las Vegas. SHOWGIRLS is as American as an apple pie in the face with a brutal series of final scenes that totally spoil all the fun. That's intentional too and makes for a brilliant sort of satire of "America" with a capital "A." Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2013
    I am first of all going to point out what everyone else so has failed to do. Which is, point out that this film is LOADED with feminist ideas. It's worth noting that the only positive review by an actual critic is also by a woman. Coincidence? My basic contention is that this film is merely masquerading as a high-camp sexploitation "comedy" (I didn't find it that funny). Instead, I foundI am first of all going to point out what everyone else so has failed to do. Which is, point out that this film is LOADED with feminist ideas. It's worth noting that the only positive review by an actual critic is also by a woman. Coincidence? My basic contention is that this film is merely masquerading as a high-camp sexploitation "comedy" (I didn't find it that funny). Instead, I found myself mostly admiring the protagonist, and at the point where your sympathy begins to wane, the film skillfully manipulates you once again back into that position. In a sense, this woman is a precursor to Joss Whedon's relaunch of Buffy, only this girl is more vulnerable, 'damaged', real. Secondly, if this really were a "man's" film, would literally EVERY single man in it be a giant sleezing, exploitative, repulsive d-bag? There is literally not one straight man in the film who is not completely abhorrent. Chris Katan has a brief scene as one of the gay male dancers, and all he does is make fun of another guy for being chauvinistic. And never are any of them 'forgiven' or presented sympathetically for the viewer to redeem.
    • People are making the mistake that this film is supposed to be 'erotic'. It's not about eros, it's about exploitation, especially male exploitation of women—but not for the film. You'll notice that all the breasts and sex in the film function not to titillate the viewer, but to illustrate that every single one of them are doing this for economic advantage and are part of an exchange process. The film's protagonist is struggling to stay above what is regarded socially as the lowest rung of this economic ladder, and her attempts to hold onto dignity and respect are almost microcosmic precursors to the Slutwalk movement which demands the same thing. Furthermore, as a Canadian viewing this film, I find it particularly ironic the continual condemnation by critics of the prevalent presence of breasts—which, here, are perfectly legal and uncontroversial. Already armed with this disposition, it was perfectly obvious that they aren't there for me, the viewer's enjoyment—they're there because these are women who are *working* in an environment which demands it, and this film is about the difficulty existing in such an environment. Now, I would never actually give this film a "10"—but I am, for the purposes of improving its Metacritic rating, which I think is quite low. Oh, and at 2hrs11min long, really: would a be that long? Think about it.
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    i thought it was a pretty good movie,don't listen to the haters....

i never knew of this movie until my sister told me about it,i was hesitant at first to watch it honestly but when i did,i enjoyed it one of the best erotic movies i have ever seen in my life....

i constantly watch it from time to time.
  4. Mar 1, 2014
    One of the worst movie ever made. The reason it won so many razzie awards is because it was just plain awful. Terrible acting, useless use of nudity. It's simply a waste of everyone's time

Overwhelming dislike - based on 19 Critics

This film is just a coarser, dumber, smuttier remake of the 1983 Eszterhas-penned "Flashdance," throbbing music, working-class Cinderella and all.
  2. What matters much more than the story or the Spicy Stuff is the dancing, the show-biz dancing. It's electric. Exciting. And there's lots of it. [23 Oct 1995]
  3. What's completely baffling is that everyone in the film thinks Nomi is one heck of a dancer, even though her one move -- throwing her arms out stiffly -- is straight out of "Dr. Strangelove."