8.4

1. Oct 4, 2010
    While I liked the first Shrek movie, I thought the movie was really overrated. This movie however, is the only Shrek movie I believe deserves a 10. Funnier jokes, Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots, I actually love this movie!
  2. May 31, 2011
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    If not better -- Shrek 2 is certainly more innovative than the first film. Pros: Even more hilarious characters and dialog; rich visuals; probably more charming for the kiddies. Cons: A bit too pop culture referential.
  4. May 25, 2012
    This is better than the first Shrek because the story in this one is more interesting, the humor is more funnier (which is a little weird in the first), the graphics are better and the characters' voices are better. The first one is just good, but this sequel is great....
  5. May 19, 2012
    How can you improve on a near-perfect animated film? Why, by making the sequel even closer to perfection of course. Andrew Adamson has fleshed out his wonderful comic fantasy universe that parodies both fairytale conventions and the modern world so ingeniously. Shrek (Mike Myers), Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) remain engaging and easy to empathise with, and haveHow can you improve on a near-perfect animated film? Why, by making the sequel even closer to perfection of course. Andrew Adamson has fleshed out his wonderful comic fantasy universe that parodies both fairytale conventions and the modern world so ingeniously. Shrek (Mike Myers), Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) remain engaging and easy to empathise with, and have all grown as characters, and face new life challenges as they travel to Far Far Away to meet Fiona's parents King Harold and Queen Lillian, voiced by the dream paring of John Cleese and Julie Andrews (which results in one of the funniest moments in the film - that fine romantic comedy staple of the awkward dinner with the in-laws). The cast is further fleshed out by Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots, a suave, swashbuckling sword-for-hire with a deep sense of honour, but who isn't above exploiting his inherent cuteness. Jennifer Saunders makes a great villain as the Fairy Godmother, her performance an inspired mix of Michael Corleone and Oprah Winfrey, who seeks to secure the crowning of her spoilt, empty-headed son Prince Charming (Rupert Everett) and above all to maintain the status quo of traditional fairytales, of which Shrek living happily ever after with Princess Fiona is in complete defiance of. Shrek 2 is smarter, more bitingly satirical, even more visually splendiferous and far, far funnier than the first film. The jokes are wide ranging, from visual gags (my personal favourite being a shop in Far Far Away called Versarchery) to sitcom-style one-liners (Donkey proclaiming to Puss in Boots "I'm sorry but the position of annoying talking animal sidekick has already been taken) to the completely unexpected (after threatening King Harold, in her complete frustration at her schemes unraveling, the Fairy Godmother stops her flying carriage at a drive-thru to buy some comfort food) to the crude (the discovery that Pinocchio wears lady's underwear). At its core, Shrek 2 is the next chapter in a good old-fashioned love story. It adopts timeless themes of love, sacrifice and friendship and emphasises the importance of being true to yourself, no matter how life beats you down. Adamson presents these themes earnestly, and with great wit, and makes them affecting and relevant to a modern audience composed of both children and adults. The use of a tongue-in-cheek take on iconic fairytales, something we have all grown up with, makes the second chapter of Shrek's story recognisable but pleasingly fresh at the same time - everyone, no matter your age can take away something from this heartfelt animation extravaganza, and you'll likely have a smile on your face for hours after the credits, and Karaoke segment, roll. Shrek was a very special animated film. Shre 2, on the other hand, is truly one of the finest animated films of all time, and certainly DreamWorks Animation's most glorious achievement. Expand
  6. Oct 11, 2010
    Just as good as the first one with gags and the odd emotional moment to keep you,and more importantly, the children interested for a few more than 1 view. The animation is even better and all the childrens (and the adults) favourite characters all return. This movie meant that the expectations were way too high for Shrek The Third, of course,it didn't quite live up to the hype.
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    Shrek 2 is even better than the 1st Shrek. It is especially hilarious and it has a deeper, more open story than the 1st Shrek had. I especially liked the new character Puss in Boots.
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    THIS ONE RIGHT HERE IS GREAT I LOVED THIS MOVIE AS WELL. GREAT PLOT AND LINES. THE action scenes are good. 10 out of 10 my favorite shrek movie. I like it !
  9. Apr 3, 2012
    Shrek 2 is fantastic. The movie was animated but has a mature feeling to it. The music is incredible and the ending has perfect editing and music. Much better than the first one and the first one wasn't bad.
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    A wonderful movie full of spirit. The plot is great as it continues to use satire on fairtytales. Very funny and the music is what makes it excellent. Action packed and sweet.
  11. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of the rare occasions where the sequel to a movie surpasses the original. I found Shrek 2 to be even funnier than the original Shrek (which I also loved). If you liked the first Shrek movie you should also like this one. It is entertaining and follows a similar formula to the first one but is done even better.
  12. Dec 17, 2013
    This movie more or less fixes everything that was wrong with the first movie and makes what worked even better. This is how a sequel should be.

As before, fantastic performances by all the cast, including the newcomers. Story this time round feels fresh and finally gives the Shrek universe a sense of its own identity. Overall: There is nothing I can fault with this installment.

Overall:
    There is nothing I can fault with this installment. Shrek 2 is by far the best of the series and have set a really high standard that Dreamworks has rarely ever reached again.
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    dis movi is relly good cuz it is Shrek 2 and Shrek is the best cuz Shrek is the best shrek is love shrek is life i hate and are all dead to me is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger.Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century,dis movi is relly good cuz it is Shrek 2 and Shrek is the best cuz Shrek is the best shrek is love shrek is life i hate and are all dead to me is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger.Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, it suggested that its target is extremely unsophisticated. Its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at blacks of Sub-Saharan African descent. Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2013
    dis movi is relly good cuz it is Shrek 2 and Shrek is the best cuz Shrek is the best shrek is love shrek is life i hate and are all dead to me is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used slightingly, by thedis movi is relly good cuz it is Shrek 2 and Shrek is the best cuz Shrek is the best shrek is love shrek is life i hate and are all dead to me is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, it suggested that its target is extremely unsophisticated. Its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at blacks of Sub-Saharan African descent. Expand
  15. Sep 28, 2011
    "Shrek 2" is a decent movie using the same formula from "Shrek". But hey, its still very funny and entertaining to watch.
  16. Dec 21, 2011
    It's charm and extreme heart and originality make for an improvement on the amazing first film. It has to be one of the funniest animated movies made in a long time. I give this film 94%.
  17. Oct 28, 2010
    like the first movie, this one also kicks a**!
    Jan 9, 2006
    A bit funny, but the first one it's that good that leaves Shrek 2 in the dust.
  19. Mar 3, 2014
    Another stale installment of the Shrek series with its plethora of fart jokes and bad Scottish accents. Nothing new. This series could've saved itself, at least a little bit,by not being a series at all and stopping at the first one.
  20. Ben
    Jun 8, 2007
    Probably my favourite movie. I liked it better than the first Shrek. Script and images more meaningful to an older audience than the previous film. Still a lot of fun for all the family.
  21. DaveH
    Jan 4, 2010
    Although I'm not a fan of Shrek movies anymore, I'm disagreeing on the fact people saying it wasn't as good as the first one. This movie is way better than the first Shrek, more family friendly, had more characters, more beautiful locations and a lot of humor. I'm giving it a 10 because it gave me lots of laughs 5 years ago but not now, after all, the big three Although I'm not a fan of Shrek movies anymore, I'm disagreeing on the fact people saying it wasn't as good as the first one. This movie is way better than the first Shrek, more family friendly, had more characters, more beautiful locations and a lot of humor. I'm giving it a 10 because it gave me lots of laughs 5 years ago but not now, after all, the big three animated comedies (Shrek 2, Simpsons Movie, Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs) dont have that much replayability as other cool films like Curse of the Black Pearl. Expand
  22. MarcW.
    Jun 10, 2004
    Great fun. Just entertaining from start to end.
  23. LeighM.
    Jun 20, 2004
    Great Movie
  24. TylerC.
    Jun 26, 2004
    Not as good as the first one but it did have a lot more funny moments than the first movie did. The first one just had a lot more plot development and this one had more laughs.
  25. LouisC.
    Jun 2, 2004
    It felt more forced with a few too many characters. Not enough time devoted to Shrek, Donkey and Fiona. I really didn't like the Fairy Godmother (though, she can sing!) and Prince Charming (not enough given for him to do).
  26. LiamS.
    Jun 2, 2004
    Shrek 2 is totally vacuous and without substance. Its characters are contrived, and the storyline is strained at best. The first Shrek movie was clever. This movie has none of the first movie's charm. I realize that this movie is for children, but the innumerable farting jokes must be pleasing only to 11 and 12 year old boys. Also, very interesting that in a "land far, far away" Shrek 2 is totally vacuous and without substance. Its characters are contrived, and the storyline is strained at best. The first Shrek movie was clever. This movie has none of the first movie's charm. I realize that this movie is for children, but the innumerable farting jokes must be pleasing only to 11 and 12 year old boys. Also, very interesting that in a "land far, far away" there would be a Starbucks. Go figure! And here I thought that I only had to walk to the corner of my street to get a Starbucks coffee. Very lame indeed. Expand
  27. BobT.
    Jun 3, 2004
    Shrek 2 is a lame kids movie that adults think is good because they think the jokes about Sir Justin, Starbucks, the honeymoon etc are witty. My kids barely laughed. There are very few sight gags and physical humor that kids really enjoy. The parents I was with all loved it.
  28. SergeR.
    Jun 4, 2004
    This movie, as well as its predecessor, is overrated. I'd rather see the animated figures in the comics section of my local newspaper, that the awkward, 3D animaion in this film.
  29. LacieS.
    Jun 7, 2004
    IT WAS HILARIOUS! Any one can enjoy this movie from little ones to old men. Come on "it's a thong" scene is unforgettable like the rest of the moive.
  30. KelR.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I went and saw this movie without having seen the 1st Shrek, but I didn't have to because this second installment is halarious enough to stand on it's own. Before the movie I thought it would probably be just for children but how wrong I was, the jokes and satire have alot of adult undertone that children won't catch onto. Bottom line, it's good clean fun, and I loved it.
  31. DaveB.
    Jul 6, 2004
    I loved this movie! Good to the very last drop!
  32. DamianP.
    Jul 9, 2004
    There were about 4 good laughs (mostly from Puss-In-Boots) and the rest was pretty boring. Mike Myers didn't sound like he was trying to be funny. The first Shrek was 10/10, but this fell way short. Advice for the next one - get rid of the songs, put in more jokes (especially from the villans) and try to get the voices to sounds the same as they did in the first movie.
  33. LivesOfGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jan 26, 2006
    Dammit I wanted this to be better. Not that it's bad, in fact it's damn good, but it just doesn't have...I dunno, the charm of the original. That one seemed like an impromptu student revue, this one seems like a calculated sequel. There's a faint but discernable corporate feel about it that just makes my skin crawl. But then I am a communist, so it's probably my Dammit I wanted this to be better. Not that it's bad, in fact it's damn good, but it just doesn't have...I dunno, the charm of the original. That one seemed like an impromptu student revue, this one seems like a calculated sequel. There's a faint but discernable corporate feel about it that just makes my skin crawl. But then I am a communist, so it's probably my own fault. To reiteratie: good movie. Puss in Boots is a wonderful creation, brilliantly played, and the rest of the cast rock bells. It's inferior to the original Shrek, but it's still good times. Expand
  34. GeorgiaG.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Shrek 2 is my most favourite film of all time. I watch it over and over again. I think that Shrek 2 is better than the first one!
  35. BryanM
    Oct 5, 2007
    THis was the best Shrek out of the two. but still donkey is just anoying. i really liked the new character puss in boots. don't wast your time watching the third or the first onlice you can watch them for free.
  36. BrandonE.
    Nov 7, 2004
    Really funny movie, not as good as the first, but still very good.
  37. DaveC.
    Oct 17, 2004
    The genuine emotion and snappy pacing of the original film is nowhere to be seen here. There are some hilarious gags but they are much morw few and far inbetween than in the first film. A lot of the great one liners and hilarious pop culture and fairytale send ups of the original have been replaced with unfunny sight gags and fart jokes. The only improvement that seems to have been made The genuine emotion and snappy pacing of the original film is nowhere to be seen here. There are some hilarious gags but they are much morw few and far inbetween than in the first film. A lot of the great one liners and hilarious pop culture and fairytale send ups of the original have been replaced with unfunny sight gags and fart jokes. The only improvement that seems to have been made over the original is in the animation which is indeed very pretty, but the story meanders and has no idea where to go with its "don't be ashamed of who you are sentiments" shoddily recycled from the first film with a much heavier dose of formulaic melodrama than before. Expand
  38. AbbyH.
    Dec 1, 2004
    This film kept me laughing through the whole thing. Couldn't stop. I love how they took small parts from other films ans stuck them right in there. That was awesome. I think Shrek 2 is much better and funnier then the first, however, the first was funny too. I saw it when it first came out on DVD and Video. My brother Ryan's friend Feege came over and after they were done he let This film kept me laughing through the whole thing. Couldn't stop. I love how they took small parts from other films ans stuck them right in there. That was awesome. I think Shrek 2 is much better and funnier then the first, however, the first was funny too. I saw it when it first came out on DVD and Video. My brother Ryan's friend Feege came over and after they were done he let me barrow it. And of course my little sister Mazzie got in the way and I had to watch it again because I missed hundreds of parts. Anyways, this movie is on my top 10 list. Expand
  39. ErinG
    Oct 5, 2004
    Not as good as the first one.
  40. JamesC.
    May 21, 2004
    A terrible waste of time. If this is what counts for adult/kiddie entertainment, I'll take to staring at a blank wall. Unfunny, boring, and the five people who wrote this dreck should be locked in a room for the rest of their lives watching this movie. Then they they'll know the pain I suffered watching it. Be warned it's a DUD!
  41. DorianG.
    Very,very,very funny.
  42. KenM.
    May 23, 2004
    The musical numbers seem forced somehow. I expected John Cleese's king to be funnier. Donkey still was. It's still a charming story but not as good as the first one.
  43. AaronF.
    May 26, 2004
    There is next to no plot is this obvious cash-in of a popular franchise. Nearly all of the jokes are pop-culture related (Meaning no one will think this is funny in five years), no more satire on the incredulous world and characters of fairy tales (I guess we'll always have the Princess Bride though). Go for a larf, not for the possibility of a repeat oscar (I'd like to think There is next to no plot is this obvious cash-in of a popular franchise. Nearly all of the jokes are pop-culture related (Meaning no one will think this is funny in five years), no more satire on the incredulous world and characters of fairy tales (I guess we'll always have the Princess Bride though). Go for a larf, not for the possibility of a repeat oscar (I'd like to think there is none). Expand
  44. AlexandraI.
    May 29, 2004
    It is really really funny and i give it 3 thumbs up! :)
  45. EricK.
    A good B- movie
  46. PatrickH.
    May 30, 2004
    No problems whatsoever with this movie. Even if there were, the hilarity of it would cover it up easily. Humor is for all ages. Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas did an amazingly great job!!! You have to stay through the credits for a bonus scene involving Donkey and Dragon. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and it can be watched over and over again without losing its appeal.
  47. UckleHuckle
    May 30, 2004
    For a sequel to a fanstastic first, it deserves a 10 in effort.
  48. Burbak
    Jun 1, 2004
    I enjoyed it... though I do not understand how kids can like it...the dialogues were adult oriented... and you should have seen "flashdance" to enjoy some part of it... it seems the movie is really geared for the adult audience... or at least give them a good reason to take their kids alone... and probably that is why it is such a huge success.
  49. Kelly
    Jun 1, 2004
    Wonderful movie!!! Awesome animation, and a cute story. Funny characters that kept the movie upbeat and extremely entertaining.
  50. BitBurn
    Jun 1, 2004
    I think it was a very awesome movie. Worth seeing on the big screen. I prefered this one compared to the 1st one as it is more adult-oriented. "Puss the cat" was amazing to watch! I doubt anyone can be dissapointed.
  51. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    An erratic construction haunted by the success of its predecessor while bearing the burden of excessive commercial expectations. Threatens to turn into a Broadway musical early on as it flounders around to re-establish format. A journey to a land far far away ensues, but not far enough to escape a Starbucks product placement. Things did suddenly rip right along the instant Puss-n-Boots An erratic construction haunted by the success of its predecessor while bearing the burden of excessive commercial expectations. Threatens to turn into a Broadway musical early on as it flounders around to re-establish format. A journey to a land far far away ensues, but not far enough to escape a Starbucks product placement. Things did suddenly rip right along the instant Puss-n-Boots appeared. So as in the first Shrek, the real star of the show was enabled when the creators didn't try too hard. Overall an OK show, but doesn't rise above the stench of contrivance. Expand
  52. AlexF.
    Jun 20, 2004
    Great :-D
  53. Fantasy
    Jun 2, 2004
    Absolutely brilliantly written and directed. There are no dead spots as the movie is fast paced and delivers to both young and old alike. Kudos for a terrific entertaining movie.
  54. Dudley
    Jun 3, 2004
    Loved it. Kept me entertained as well as the kids. Hope that they make a few more to enjoy.
  55. KendraG.
    Jun 4, 2004
    Shrek 2 is a hilarious film, one adults and children will enjoy alike. With nonstop action and humor, it keeps you riveted throughout the movie. My kids enjoyed every minute of it, as I did. In fact, today, we're going to go see it for the second time!
  56. HarryL.
    Jun 7, 2004
    One word: Funny.
  57. DanC.
    Jun 8, 2004
    This is good if you like simple humor.
  58. Lil'yoF.
    Jun 9, 2004
    It was ok i did love it though.
  59. O.W.
    Jul 1, 2004
    It was a great movie. it was full of great humor, and I thought it was one of the best movies of the year.
  60. Churi
    Jul 28, 2004
    A magical movie!!, enchanting and funny, what more do you need!!!
  61. LaurS.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Absolutely fantastic movie. The best ever kids film! this star studded film has surely got to win an oscar!! It is full of child and adult humor romance and farting!!!
  62. ChadS.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Oh, no! The first few bars of piano, so familiar, it can't be. Memo to myself: Forgive Liz Phair. Selling out is all relative. "That's Nick Cave! Wasn't he in "Wings of Desire"? Am I hearing things?" This is pretty close to verbatim, my interior voice, not understanding how Cave could give permission to use "People Ain't No Good" for an admittedly entertaining, but Oh, no! The first few bars of piano, so familiar, it can't be. Memo to myself: Forgive Liz Phair. Selling out is all relative. "That's Nick Cave! Wasn't he in "Wings of Desire"? Am I hearing things?" This is pretty close to verbatim, my interior voice, not understanding how Cave could give permission to use "People Ain't No Good" for an admittedly entertaining, but shallow enterprise like "Shrek 2". Admittedly, it's used to good effect, but once upon a time, an artist of some stature like Cave, or Bruce Springsteen, would never be so frivolous with their music because there used to be a thing called artistic credibility. Springsteen, famously, in 1985, wouldn't allow Peter Bogdanovich to use his songs for "Mask". Shrek is a computer generated ogre. Ryan White was a boy with AIDS. "The times they are a-changin'." Bob Dylan, for Victoria's Secret? As for the actual movie, there isn't any emanations of cynical laughter from the audience like in "Fahrenheit 9/11", or inexplicable laughter like in "White Chicks". "Shrek 2" is very good-natured and solid entertainment for everybody. At times, it's side-splittingly funny. A more interesting ending, however, would've been if Fiona couldn't be green again, so she'd have to decide if a mixed-marriage could work. After the barrage of Eddie Murphy toss-offs (all funny, some jaw-droppingly obscure, I had to Google one reference) and post-modernity threatening to upstage the story, this sort of emotional pay-off would've given "Shrek 2" some much-needed levity. Expand
  63. BradleyC.
    Aug 18, 2004
    Shrek 2 was the best ever fairy tale movie that i have ever seen. It was alot better than he first one. The characters where excellent with the voice of Antonio banderas who played the voice of Puss IN Boots which in fact is my favourite character. But all the characters where excellent with the voice of Mike Myer, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, Julie Andrews, John Cleese Shrek 2 was the best ever fairy tale movie that i have ever seen. It was alot better than he first one. The characters where excellent with the voice of Antonio banderas who played the voice of Puss IN Boots which in fact is my favourite character. But all the characters where excellent with the voice of Mike Myer, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, Julie Andrews, John Cleese and Jennifer Saunder and Rupert Everett. Expand
  64. CaitlinH.
    Aug 20, 2004
    I think it was MUCH BETTER than the first one because of Puss in Boots and Donkey being even more laughable. I LOVE SHREK 2.
  65. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Shrek 2 was the best fairy tale movie I've ever seen! It was absolutely the only fairy tale that has romance, humor, and action. Puss in Boots was the most hilarious in the movie. I loved Mike Myers, John Cleese, Antonio Banderas, Edie Murphy, and even Cameron Diaz. I've seen it 3 times because I loved it. Great. Great. Great. Great. Great.
  66. bobr.
    Apr 11, 2005
    It was brilliant for me but it made all seven of my children cry p.s it took hours befor they went back to sleep.
  67. LilyO.
    Jun 13, 2006
    Though this film is not as ood as it's predecessor Shrek 2 is nearly there.
  68. DeannaH
    Aug 4, 2007
    i like this movie it had its funny parts, like when puss in boots came. But it wasn't the best movie ever.
  69. IlzeS
    Nov 23, 2004
    Wow! Shrek 2 is superrr, great movie! Recommend for kids and for parents too. Especially I liked the song ?I need a hero? and ?Changes?. Really good music and jokes are great! Will be expecting next movie! And? watched it 5 times.
  70. AlejandroD.
    Nov 5, 2004
    This is one of the funniets and best movies that have come recently. Thos who think the first one was better, didn't understand what the story was trying to say. This is about how things really are after marriage. It's not happily ever after as most of the fairy tales say. I know most people nowadays have more understanding of the family and marriage, but the point is to make This is one of the funniets and best movies that have come recently. Thos who think the first one was better, didn't understand what the story was trying to say. This is about how things really are after marriage. It's not happily ever after as most of the fairy tales say. I know most people nowadays have more understanding of the family and marriage, but the point is to make fun of all those things people sometimes wish for in their lives. Expand
  71. MichaelM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    Even though it's one of the better animated films made, it doesn't match up to it's original. I think the biggest mistake of this is the Puss in Boots character. Most critics and audiences alike found him cute and funny, I just found him annoying and distracting from the story. But maybe that's just because I have kind of a grudge against Antonio Banderas (who voices Even though it's one of the better animated films made, it doesn't match up to it's original. I think the biggest mistake of this is the Puss in Boots character. Most critics and audiences alike found him cute and funny, I just found him annoying and distracting from the story. But maybe that's just because I have kind of a grudge against Antonio Banderas (who voices Puss in Boots) anyway. Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy shine in the film too, and John Cleese is hysterical as Cameron Diaz's father. Expand
  72. MartinL.
    Dec 4, 2004
    Ok, not the best, but pretty good movie.
  73. dziewuliz
    Dec 5, 2004
    Flawless animation, however screenplay was bad (stupid jokes etc.). In spite of this, i loved Puss and Donkey - I liked their appearances best... :)
  74. AndrewK.
    May 20, 2004
    This movie was just good enough to not be bad. A terrible disapointment. Obviously created only to capitalize on the success of the first film. No creativity whatsoever. If you want to be reminded of moments from other movies that have absolutely no relevance to the plot of this movie, by all means, go see it. Otherwise, its a waste of your time and money.
  75. BrockR.
    May 20, 2004
    Shrek 2 is exactly that Shrek 1 done all over again, except this time the jokes aren't as fresh the music even more annoying than "Allstar". However, Eddie Murphy was exceptional as Donkey, the only character to carry on his likability to the second movie, and Antonio Banderas brought a great new character into the mix of Puss n Boots. I didn't even care for the 2 main Shrek 2 is exactly that Shrek 1 done all over again, except this time the jokes aren't as fresh the music even more annoying than "Allstar". However, Eddie Murphy was exceptional as Donkey, the only character to carry on his likability to the second movie, and Antonio Banderas brought a great new character into the mix of Puss n Boots. I didn't even care for the 2 main characters, I just wanted to see Puss n Boots and Donkey the whole time, as childish as that seems, the other characters just failed to follow through. Expand
  76. DevonN.
    May 22, 2004
    Hilarious! Shrek 2 succeeds over the first in many ways, and it was much funnier, not a waste of money! See it ASAP!
  77. Chuckyo
    May 22, 2004
    very funny; more entertaining than the first film.
  78. AdrianW.
    May 26, 2004
    PUSS IN BOOTS RULES! I would suggest to anyone who doesn't like this picture that they might instead derive some pleasure from having their genitals raked by the razor sharp talons of a condor.
  79. TonyL.
    May 26, 2004
    A disappointment! Nowhere close to being as funny as the first one. I give it a 5 only because of the improved animation. Rental only!
  80. KyleS.
    May 26, 2004
    I honestly could not stop laughing! This was so much better than the first (and much funnier too)! I don't think I ever laughed harder than when the Gingerbread Man snapped Pinnochio's thong or when everybody ran screaming from the Farbucks right into the other one across the street! This movie was awesome (and as for those with less than a 7, you have absolutely NO sense of I honestly could not stop laughing! This was so much better than the first (and much funnier too)! I don't think I ever laughed harder than when the Gingerbread Man snapped Pinnochio's thong or when everybody ran screaming from the Farbucks right into the other one across the street! This movie was awesome (and as for those with less than a 7, you have absolutely NO sense of humor (I totally agree Jim J.). Expand
  81. TedB.
    May 27, 2004
    The first movie was wonderful, and this one was nearly as good. I laughed, my wife laughed, my kids laughed--- often--- sometimes at the same things. All in all a very entertaining movie worthy of its predecessor.
  82. MikaelP.
    May 27, 2004
    A fantastically hilarious movie. I give it only an 8 because the plotline is a basic retread of the first film's, and also because I never muched liked the bathroom humor at the beginning of either or the somewhat unnecessary party sequences at the end. Despite this, Shrek 2 does not miss a beat! All the jokes were new and thriving with hilarity, and the story was once again sweet A fantastically hilarious movie. I give it only an 8 because the plotline is a basic retread of the first film's, and also because I never muched liked the bathroom humor at the beginning of either or the somewhat unnecessary party sequences at the end. Despite this, Shrek 2 does not miss a beat! All the jokes were new and thriving with hilarity, and the story was once again sweet and relatable. The franchise holds onto its admirable anti-Disney attitude perfectly well, and they even incorporated fresh new characters that didn't suck. Antonio Banderas rules as Puss in Boots! And by the way, to those of you who complain about how naughty this movie's dialogue is, have you forgotten was the first Shrek film was like? It was far more obscene in my mind than this one, abounding genitalia jokes and whatnot. Please rethink that comment. Expand
  83. MarkB.
    May 28, 2004
    Let's be honest. Pixar animated films did and probably always will have it all over these Dreamworks epics; in terms of quality, detail and fluidity of the animated characters alone, Sully of Monsters, Inc. could eat Shrek AND Donkey for breakfast. (For that matter, so could little Nemo.) The Toy Storys, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo have hearts that are huge, genuine and real; the Let's be honest. Pixar animated films did and probably always will have it all over these Dreamworks epics; in terms of quality, detail and fluidity of the animated characters alone, Sully of Monsters, Inc. could eat Shrek AND Donkey for breakfast. (For that matter, so could little Nemo.) The Toy Storys, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo have hearts that are huge, genuine and real; the Shreks pretend to have one in order to prop up and justify all the gags. (Is Jeffrey Katzenberg's inferiority complex the reason why he includes in both Shrek movies a really bile-filled broadside at Pixar's up-till-recent parent company Disney?) That said, a lot of the jokes in Shrek 2 DO work, and the vocal characterizations are invaluable. In short, it works about as well and on the same level as its predecessor with one glowing addition: Antonio Banderas' witty portrayal of Puss In Boots. (Up until this film, I was beginning to conclude that any English-language film starring Banderas but NOT directed by Jonathan Demme or Robert Rodriguez should be avoided like the dentist!) The other reason Puss works so well is that he provides a welcome break from the movie's endless litany of far-too-knowing showbiz insider jokes; even the proverbial Japanese soldier in a cave for 40 years should be able to appreciate all the accurate observations about cats in general that he provides. After all, ask yourself this: do you really want your 5-year-old to "get" the Joan Rivers references? Expand
  84. GaborA.
    May 31, 2004
    The jokes and allusions were there but not a lot else. Also given the scope of the material, basically anything, one would expect a little more. Lack of failed gags is very condemable though.
  85. KenG.
    May 31, 2004
    Not quite up to the first Shrek, but that's due to the originality and freshness of its predecessor. Wonderful characters, magical moments, and sparkling dialogue make this one you need to see again.
  86. C.D.
    Jun 16, 2004
    This film lives up to its name! I love the new characters (especially Puss in Boots) and the animation is brilliant! Entertaining the whole way through. I've seen it 2 times and I know I'm going to get it for DVD.
  87. Uter
    Jun 17, 2004
    The overall story wasn't as great as the 1st one, but they packed more laughs in here. So overall it's as great as the 1st one.
  88. AdamR.
    Jun 18, 2004
    I think that puss in boots is a cheeky little munky but donkey is now a stallion and is still as funny.
  89. SamR.
    Jun 25, 2004
    I didn't care for this sequel, even though I loved the original. (And bought it!) After a nice begining montage, Mr. & Mrs. Shriek open their mouths and out comes 15 minutes of exposition that would bore the pants off the Brady Bunch! After all the hoop-la, I think Puss-In-Boots would be funnier without the unintelligible accent of Mr. Baderas, and what kind of movie gives the I didn't care for this sequel, even though I loved the original. (And bought it!) After a nice begining montage, Mr. & Mrs. Shriek open their mouths and out comes 15 minutes of exposition that would bore the pants off the Brady Bunch! After all the hoop-la, I think Puss-In-Boots would be funnier without the unintelligible accent of Mr. Baderas, and what kind of movie gives the villain a better song than the hero! This wasn't a sequel as much as a self-conscious copy of an original. Some funny moments, yes, but not enough to pay retail. Expand
  90. Patrick
    Jun 8, 2004
    Not anywhere near as strong as the first one. While the animation has improved the threefold and the jokes are witty as ever, the narrative falls into sequel hell with a villain so ridiculous that it makes the disney movies it satire look brilliant. Still, a lot of fun.
  91. KekiA.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Just as great as the first!
  92. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Jul 17, 2004
    Only a little better than the first great animation, wonderful humor, small bit of action, great music, and most of all PUSS IN BOOTS! He is basically Zorro gone kitty voiced by the same guy who did Zorro (I think)!
  93. DanielleB
    Jul 18, 2004
    I actually found this movie better than the first. Puss & Boots was the cutest!
  94. JoffyB.
    Jul 6, 2004
    This is one of my fav alltime movies. Really funny, I loved it.
  95. CharlotteM.
    Aug 29, 2004
    It was wicked.
  96. Sungus
    Aug 31, 2004
    Very entertaining. A continuation of the first one basically, and with little dropoff in laughter. The jokes again were clever and had multiple facets, which helps to make the money enjoyable by most age groups. Definitely recommend this one.
  97. EfeB.
    Sep 2, 2004
    Yeah, it was fun. but what different does it make...mrek, shreck,treck,wreck?...hell, make another ugly monster and paint him red instead of green and call him freck. animation should reach the next level allready...sequels to animations reek of money and burger king toys. like always, the first one was better.
  98. SamH.
    Sep 25, 2004
    A good movie, a really good one.
  99. ExeT.
    Nov 7, 2005
    It's all GREAT!!!I love SHREK very mush!!!!

1. Its cleverness and its good heart enable it to overcome a slow start, which is how all good fairy tales end.
    So gorgeously animated and so thoroughly entertaining for all ages that only an ogre would complain it's not quite as fresh as the original.
  3. Some of the buckshot hits its target: Shrek's second sidekick, assassin-turned-comrade Puss in Boots, is voiced by Antonio Banderas as an outrageously mock-dramatic Spaniard with most of the pig-pile screenplay's best toss-offs.