6.3

1. Oct 14, 2014
    Despite ripping off Its a Wonderful Life, it still manages to be way funnier, and way more interesting than the third movie because it doesn't drag on, isn't boring, and feels like they actually wrote something. Overall Forever After is just okay.
  2. Oct 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. E se encerra a franquia Shrek,que deixa saudades. Termina muito bem,com um bom desfecho,mas não tem tanto gás,e isso atrapalha um pouquinho. Shrek aprende a lição de sempre amar as pessoas ao seu redor,e assim termina dignamente. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2014
    Formulaic and partly familiar, "Shrek Forever After" only succeeds thanks to its humor, likable characters and a talented vocal. Slightly better than the third one.
  4. Jun 11, 2014
    It's... meh

I mean, the story is weak, the characters are kinda lame, the setting is not very interesting and the villain is just boring. Is so hard to concentrate in this movie and I mean that in a bad way... I find myself not caring to the point of boredom, however there is the saving grace of having a fluid animation, some cool character designs and some good humor.

This movie is
    just a total mix bag, is very weak where it matters most for a movie IMO, but I can see why reasons why some people might like it... Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    Tasteless, devoid of any of Dreamwork's charm. The final film to what was once an entertaining and perfectly satirical franchise shows of how unoriginal and lackadaisical the writers are and how apathetic the producers are at entertaining the people, their job. This ended my taste for 'Shrek'. It should have been a trilogy. The third was already boring.
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    After the "by the numbers" Shrek 2 and abysmal Shrek 3 I was really surprised by how good this film was. The writers were much braver with the plot and it really pays off with a strong villain and great cast. The "alternative Fiona" in particular is a much more interesting character than her boring dowdy counterpart.
  7. Jul 16, 2013
    I really tried liking this third sequel to the wonderful "Shrek" film, but overall left nothing to enjoy, and little to impress. "Shrek Forever After" deals with its tough issues of trying to challenge itself to bring any new concepts, but failing miserably. The film has of course the issues of large amounts of pop culture references, which are so overly done and feels just like a slight tweak from its past films. The story has little to no depth, and feels as if they tried influencing the elements from its past films into this third sequel, which in no means was successful. By adding similar elements from its past films, "Shrek Forever After" feels too familiar, and loses the charm and wit from the first two films by trying to add them in the fourth. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    Shrek Forever After is undeniably an improvement over it's predecessor. The movie does a really good job delivering touching moments and generates it's share of laughs. While the premise of this fourth installment initially shows quite some potential, it begins to loose steam along the way and we find ourselves in a web of familiar events and all sorts of cliches and been there done that situations. With such a strong premise, the film could have taken advantage of it's themes such as dealing with the pressure of being a family man or living in the shadow of the person you used to be. Instead, it wastes a great portion of it's time recycling some of the previous jokes and it often feels tiring and exhausted. Of course, the filmmakers compensate with some hilarious moments that could have only been provided by Eddie Murphy's extravagantly hilarious Donkey (who now works as a carriage carrier/singer for Rumpelstiltskin's gang of maleficent witches) and Antonio Bandera's Puss In Boots (who seems to have gain a great amount of weight). Rumpelstiltskin is the true reason to watch this film, and is easily the strongest villain of the series, combining comic relief with anger management issues. A crew of Ogres, and two brief appearances of the Pied Pipper are also well blended with the transformation of the characters we've all come to know, including a manly and warrior Fiona. The only gripe about the movie is that it often transcends from incredibly refreshing to recycled and tiring. The first half of the movie drags a little and it's a bit sluggish, despite offering it's moments of charm. The second half is more balanced when the positive factors I've previously mentioned are featured. In fact, I'll give props to the ending which made me tear up with the final goodbye of the characters we've all come to love and it's easily the touchiest moment of the series. It's a solid entry to the franchise but despite being Far Far Away from the third installment's disappointment is also Far Far Away from being as compelling and story rich-detailed as the first two entries. Expand
  9. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is my question for Dreamworks..Why the hell did you make this movie? I mean seriously they could have just ended this great franchise at Shrek The Third. In my opinion I didn't think this film was necessary at all, it just told a random story. There were very little laughs and I felt like Shrek was the only character in the movie and the other ones didn't matter much. This movie was a complete bore and had little to no exciting parts whatsoever. Although I give Mike Myers a thumbs up on his usual good performance on Shrek, the other characters fell flat. The plot was really cookie cutter and has been used in many movies before. The villain (Rumplestilskin) was not a very good one and he was also featured in Shrek The Third, but looked different so why would they have to remake him instead. Oh yeah and I though in the third Shrek all the villains stopped fighting and chased their own dreams? I guess Dreamworks forgot about that. Overall this movie was pretty horrendous one this movie spit in the face of Shrek and tainted a great franchise.
    Overall: 4.5/10
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    Shrek Forever After was the movie that did not need to be made that being said ti was not all that bad. The voice acting was good, there were some decent jokes, the characters still had their charm, and the animation was still good. Plus, I kind of liked the villain and the Pied Piper. However, this film is still the weakest in the series. The plot feels forced and clearly an excuse for another Shrek movie. Did not feel sad when this one ended. Maybe if the film had more throwbacks to the previous films I'd care more but as the film is it is just ok. While Shrek Forever AFter was clearly a money grabber and no where near as good as the first to/three it still has some charm and will entertain Shrek fans. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2013
    Shrek, Shrek 2 and Shrek 3 were great. However, Shrek Forever after is starting to show franchise burnout. I don't blame them for making more movies after the first three highly successful ones, but this latest one was just not as funny as the others. Its hard to make multiple movies over a single good idea I think. Shrek Forever After was not a bad movie at all, but it just wasn't as funny as the first two, it was just mediocre. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    The jokes at this point are forced and feel very plastic. The dialogue doesn't flow as it did in the first film.
  13. May 26, 2012
    A horrible ending to a downhill series of Shrek movies. The film is not funny anymore unlike the previous movies. The whole story just pissed me off. I gave a 1, not a 0, because of its graphics. But still, it's definitely a terribly bad movie..............
  14. Apr 13, 2012
    I think making four shrek films was too much, they should have left it at 3 at the most. After 3 films of meeting, falling in love, giving birth, baby troubles and parties, all viewers don't need another movie of more baby troubles and falling in love. What was the point of this movie? oh, I know! MONEY!! The makers were being greedy, thinking after two great movies and one o.k movie they could still drag another money making film out into cinemas. Bad decision, not a bad movie, but not a good one either! Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2012
    While not good as Shrek 2, I really enjoyed this Shrek, even more than the first one. I really am glad they got rid of the Arthur character, since he was the weak point of Shrek 3.
  16. Dec 24, 2011
    Since the protagonists are lacking imagination and the story has been crumbled movie after movie, Shrek should be thankful to the fact that he reached his forever after.
  17. Dec 21, 2011
    It wasn't as good of a finale as I hoped from Shrek, but it definitely showed us again why we loved Shrek so much by bringing back the heart and most of the charm and some great 3D and animation. I give this movie 80%.
  18. Nov 16, 2011
    The new villain, Rumplestilskin, is what really helped make this Shrek better than it could have been. Shrek is tired of his life as a harmless ogre and wants to be like he was before he met his friends, so he makes a deal with Rumplestilskin and his life changes exactly like that, with a lot of dislike for this new life. Beware of a dissappointing ending that makes the Shrek series leave too soon. Other than the ending, I think you'll have reasons to enjoy Shrek Forever After. Expand
  19. Oct 10, 2011
    If your clever enough to make sequels of a film youll now that repeating the same storyline of a film will drastically change the critic and users reviews but not that case with this film it was way overrated. what really pissed me off was that this film was so bad not just because the story line repeated itself but because it itself was not prepared long enough and not thought through enough i wasted my money and was fuming with rage when i left the cinema plesase do not watch Expand
  20. Sep 28, 2011
    "Shrek Forever After" has permanently changed a funny, pure franchise into a greedy one craving for money. Nice work, Dreamworks...
  21. Aug 6, 2011
    I watched this with my family and we all thought this movie was great. The funniest of all the Shrek movies and I genuinely enjoyed this movie. Good way to end a memorable series.
  22. Aug 1, 2011
    I have never really found any of these movies funny. At least laugh out loud funny, I may have given a stilted â
  23. May 31, 2011
    yeah it wasn't horrible. it was a good way to say goodbye. it was entertaining to me. but its not shrek. or shrek 2. so yeah 6 out of 10 its a solid movie. its watchable.
  24. Mar 8, 2011
    While it's not the best in this series it's a great way to say goodbye, some fans may be disappointed with the more serious story and the lack of humor (don't worry it's still got jokes just not as many) but I was surprisingly impressed, a good farewell to this series.
  25. Feb 23, 2011
    Although I love animation, I've never been a fan of the Shrek franchise. This movie took me by surprise. The first Shrek movie was good (not great) thanks to Eddie Murphy, but Shrek 2 was awful. I never saw the 3rd installment. I've never liked the weird Irish accent for Shrek that Mike Myers provides. It doesn't fit for me and I find it distracting. Why is he Irish when nobody else is? My friend talked me into going to see this one and it turned out to be a good animated movie - maybe even the best of the Shrek movies. The script is WAY better than Shrek 2 and had some good laughs and good animation and it held my attention the entire way. The 3D was good, not great, and probably not worth the extra cost, as 3D mutes the colors due to the dark glasses. Expand
  26. Feb 18, 2011
    Hm, nice movie, great animation and stunning sound. A bit slow for the moments but overall experience is pretty cool. So it was pleasure watching it though i hope this is the last part. Enough is enough:)
  27. Feb 12, 2011
  28. Jan 12, 2011
    What reason do you go to see Shrek? For me, I expect cheerful atmospheres all around, That simple. In thiz fourth installment of Shrek, everything becomes darker and gloomy. I think the key that made Shrek franchise succesfull all the time is Andrew Adamson. Adamson is The Director of two early ones, SHREK (2001) and SHREK 2 (2004). And he also contributes writing credit in SHREK THE THIRD (2007). Thiz time to continue thiz three years occasion without his involvement, Shrek was into nightmare. The directing was handed to Mike Mitchell. Mitchell known as Director of DEUCE BIGALOW: MALE GIGOLO (1999) and SKY HIGH (2005), which are not animation. The story tries to reset everything from the beginning. It tells Shrek (Mike Myers) travels to the past and faces the new alternate universe, which Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) is a warrior, Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas) now is a fat lazy cat, and Donkey (Eddie Murphy) does not even know Shrek. All happened bcoz of Bad intentions from new villain named Rumpelstiltskin (Walt Dohrn) who wanted to rule Far Far Away Kingdom. Thiz character has not developed well. The funny scene was only when he eventually changed his silly wig. It was not comparable to Lord Farquaad character in the first one. I think all of movie critics will hardly appraise thiz sequel as a good one. If we see Shrek series in overall, it was already downhill since the first. The first Shrek was amazingly great, the second one was still impressive, and we thought SHREK THE THIRD was a real forever after. Thiz one, I described it as no-need extension. However, Shrek movies always fill with joyful soundtracks. If only they have fresh ideas for thiz franchise to continue, but if do not, just left behind thiz franchise for a while. They did not realize, they might have been killing thiz franchise forever after. One thing for sure, thiz one is really a Cat-tastrophe and ri-Donkey-lous.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE on : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  29. Jan 3, 2011
    After watching Shrek the Third, I felt like Shrek may have lost his enchanting touch that was ever-so apparent in the first two flicks. Thankfully, Shrek Forever After brings us back to the old magical roots of fascination and wonder. This film not only teaches us an important lesson, but will also make you ponder how grateful you are as an individual.
  30. Dec 10, 2010
    This installment in the 'Shrek' series still maintains the comic validity of the previous three, and has a few moments which set it apart from the others, but much of what was wrong with the third is still present in this one.
  31. Dec 7, 2010
    Shrek Forever After is nothing like Happily Ever After for SUCKING! The story is completely mess,it has the same story,same issues,same plot holes,nothing make sense,the only difference is the new plot is about the evil Rumpelstiltskin wants Shrek to took away everything and wants to rule the kingdom and it doesn't reveal anything from the forth one,they shouldn't been done since the last third one. THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE,WHY DID THEY SCREW UP EVERYTHING! The Rumpelstiltskin character is completely useless and he doesn't look like that I've just saw. Why does Shrek has to come back that way he is? I just don't het it? The scenes are just nothing like that and screws up everything even more. I just one another Shrek film could be next step or should be over right now,but NO they just want Shrek to screw up the franchise. So that's that,Shrek film is done and they said that they will make another Shrek film and I just thought that I will say that Shrek needs to retire the franchise and I feel that Shrek needs a break. Expand
  32. Dec 5, 2010
    One of the best animation movie !!! A little bit complicated to understand for kids,but it's a great entertainment ! I had a very great time to watch it with my kids.
  33. Oct 28, 2010
    wasn't as good as the previous three movies, but its a perfect way to end one of the greatest animated trilogys of all time.
  34. Oct 11, 2010
    Shrek 4 was awesome! Definitely one of the most satisfying movies of the summer so far. Enjoyed it from beginning to end. And if it is the last Shrek movie, it serves the series proud. I'd proudly own Shrek and Shrek 4.
  35. Oct 9, 2010
    "In my opinion this latest and hopefully FINAL! chapter it gets boring , and unfunny , its hardly worth anyone's time , the character we all know and love , has well lost its charm , but i love seeing all the characters back , and for that i say Rent It" .. C+
  36. Oct 4, 2010
    A lot of the pop culture references are gone, and much of the charm in the world of Far Far Away. However you do not always need charm to make a good film. There is much more emotion (crying and yelling) in this film, and less comedy, but the strong moral message that is the heart of this film glows warmly, and so even if it can't produce the thrills of both 'Shrek' and 'Shrek 2', it is still a huge improvement on 'Shrek 3', and provides an emotionally satisfying and enjoyable conclusion to what is a classic animated series. I am glad that it finished on a good note, despite my low expectations. Expand
  37. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So it's not a wonderful life; so they lied. Lying awake at night, Shrek, a husband and father of triplets, undergoes an existential crisis, as Fiona sleeps soundly, oblivious to the paradox that vexes her domesticated spouse, who misses the ogre condition of alienation and veneration. The sheer awe that Shrek's size and stature commanded from the townsfolk, in hindsight, so he thinks, was adequate compensation for his lonely bachelor life in the swamp. The marital bed, suddenly a coffin instead of a haven, inspires Shrek to take out a "Wanted" poster, the highlight of his outlaw notoriety, from the dresser-drawer and affixes the ephemeralia to the mirror, creating a jarring disconnect with the ogre's reflected self. Shrek realizes that he's half an ogre; his resentment lies in incubation 'til the next day at the birthday party, where he reveals his true colors. In the 1947 Frank Capra classic that loosely informs "Shrek Forever After", George Bailey(Jimmy Stewart), the stabilizing force of Bedford Falls, matches the ogre's disenchantment with being a household patriarch, in the housewarming scene where Mary(Donna Reed) gives her wanderlust husband a knitted picture that reads: "George lassos the moon." Like the lunar surface, Shrek can be his own man in the swamp, lonely, but away from the pressures of being a husband and father. In the Capra film, Mary doesn't realize the double-edged significance of the moon; she sees the sphere as merely a romantic object, and not an object of despair, the final outpost for George's wandering spirit. Like "It's a Wonderful Life", one wish made in haste and self-absorption transforms a town and its people for the worse. Rumplestilskin's rave hints at the noirish qualities of Pottersville, since a rave promotes bacchanalia and in this instance, a means of institutional control. The witches turn into good-time party girls as FarFarAway Land becomes a fertile ground for intolerance and nihilism. Expand
  38. Aug 12, 2010
    This installment, the best after Shrek 2, is everything, especially the Shrek-Donkey relationship is exceptional.
    A worthy and delirious final chapter to this animation franchise.Wish there would be more in future- will be truely missed!
  39. Aug 11, 2010
    It's not as clever as the first two installments in the franchise, but this newest Shrek doesn't feel like is was cranked out as fast as possible for a quick buck. It's witty and well-written.

1. Reveals a definite been-there, done-that feeling.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    The reputed swan song for the series and its first entry in 3D, pic contains a respectable number of laughs, but also borrows its storyline from the oft-recycled "It's a Wonderful Life," and if that's all its creators can do, it's best to put Far Far Away far far away.
  3. Hilarious and heartfelt from start to finish, this is the best Shrek of them all, and that's no fairy tale.