Shrek

8.9

1. Jun 24, 2016
    A weirdly written -- but greatly amusing fairy tale that shines with humor fit for both kids & adults. The plot is very focused on what it means to be human. Romance, friendships - to be alone, to feel ugly and basic human emotions. It's one movie of its kind -- so odd but the writing is exemplary! We follow these well visualized characters on their paths through the tale and it is anA weirdly written -- but greatly amusing fairy tale that shines with humor fit for both kids & adults. The plot is very focused on what it means to be human. Romance, friendships - to be alone, to feel ugly and basic human emotions. It's one movie of its kind -- so odd but the writing is exemplary! We follow these well visualized characters on their paths through the tale and it is an entertaining & happy ride! Sure some out there might think it's a "too immature film" -- and the animation is in comparison with today's standards very vague. But it's one heck of a film!

Personal rating: 75/100
    Critical rating: 87/100
  2. Jun 17, 2016
    What do this total amount of excitement and fantastic movie do we have here? Shrek, compared with other kinds of films, is totally dirty, but hilarious and fun at best; first time that we mention an ogre and we put it as a main character. Definitely the movie live together with the whole audience
  3. Apr 9, 2016
    “Shrek” is an instant animated classic. Rudely sending up even the most beloved fairy tale traditions while at the same time effectively embodying them, this spirited and often very funny lark accomplishes something that most films in the bygone Hollywood studio era used to do but is remarkably rare in today’s world of niche markets: It offers entertainment equally to viewers from 4 to“Shrek” is an instant animated classic. Rudely sending up even the most beloved fairy tale traditions while at the same time effectively embodying them, this spirited and often very funny lark accomplishes something that most films in the bygone Hollywood studio era used to do but is remarkably rare in today’s world of niche markets: It offers entertainment equally to viewers from 4 to 104.

Playing equally effectively as a lively romp for kids and an enormously clever comedy for adults, “Shrek” is both simple and sophisticated, hip without being smug or condescending. It’s also a film for animation fans to cherish as well as one that non-enthusiasts can enjoy. On May 12, pic will become just the fifth animated film to be shown in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, after the late ’40s-early ’50s Disney features “Make Mine Music,” “Dumbo” and “Peter Pan,” and the 1973 French production “La Planete Sauvage” (Fantastic Planet).

Shaking the narrative and stylistic cobwebs from the form, standing every fairy tale convention on its head and landing some excellent shots at Disney for good measure, the picture scores on every front: The writing is smart, the vocal performances are game, and the relatively lifelike look is stunningly realized, making for the best-looking computer animated feature to date.

Screenplay by the team of Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio (“Aladdin,” “The Mark of Zorro”), Joe Stillman (“Beavis & Butt-head Do America”) and Roger S.H. Schulman (“Balto”) is based on a short 1990 illustrated children’s book by William Steig that chronicled in very simple terms a horrible ogre’s journey to a castle where he wins the hand of an equally ugly princess. There was nothing more to it than that, so it’s a conservative estimate to venture that at least 95% of the inspiration for what’s onscreen came from the scriptwriters, who have let their imaginations go in coming up with characters, subplots, relationships, gags, intrigues and flights of fancy that have no seeds in the book.

Fine jokes and reversals of expectations fill the journey homeward, where the film most clearly reveals its charming small debts to such timeless classics as “Don Quixote,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “Beauty and the Beast,” among others. One of the funniest bits has Princess Fiona singing a Disney-style duet with a bluebird, until the chirping creature suddenly explodes when Fiona hits a piercing high note. Only false note in the entire picture comes when Fiona, accosted by a strangely French-accented “Monsieur” Robin Hood, makes some “Matrix”/”Crouching Tiger”-type martial arts moves; bit feels like a sop to tastes of the moment and is the element that will first appear to date the film in years to come.

Visually, “Shrek” is a constant dazzlement, the images all but leaping off the screen. Against the brilliantly designed, exceptionally vivid backgrounds, the characters, human and animal alike, appear realistic and highly expressive without being photographically so; the fine line between naturalism and stylization has been unerringly walked by the large team working under first-time directors Andrew Adamson (a veteran visual effects supervisor) and Vicky Jenson (an art director and storyboard artist).

Endowing Shrek with a mild Irish brogue, Myers brings abundant drollery and vocal appeal to the physically repugnant title character, which implicitly lends weight to the underlying theme of beauty coming from the inside. Much as he did in his previous animated outing as Mushu the Dragon in “Mulan,” Murphy provides Donkey with a jive-talking motor mouth; some of his riffs are genuinely amusing, but the routine threatens to become a bit much at times. Diaz’s readings are energetic and willful, making Fiona a medieval “Charlie’s Angels” candidate, and Lithgow makes the vertically shortchanged Farquaad imposing without undue melodrama.

Outstanding score by Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell (“Antz,” “Chicken Run”) is abetted by a collection of eclectic, shrewdly chosen pop tunes all used to lively effect.
  4. Mar 12, 2016
    We've to see that Shrek is a wonderfully extravagant film, with terrific interpretations, funny and enjoyable story-telling, totally unforgettable characters, interesting and unpredictable plot. This film will definitely give an unofrgettable familiar message to everybody. Definitely, Shrek is a classic that nobody will forget.
  5. Jan 22, 2016
    Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
    I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
    She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb In the shape of an "L" on her forehead Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running Didn't make sense not to live for fun Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb So much
    Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
    I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
    She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
    In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
    Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
    Didn't make sense not to live for fun
    Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do, so much to see
    So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
    You'll never know if you don't go
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

[Chorus:]
    Hey, now, you're an All Star, get your game on, go play
    Hey, now, you're a Rock Star, get the show on, get paid
    And all that glitters is gold
    Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
    You're bundled up now wait 'til you get older
    But the meteor men beg to differ
    Judging by the hole in the satellite picture

The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
    The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
    My world's on fire. How about yours?
    That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored.

[Chorus 2x]

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
    I need to get myself away from this place
    I said yep, what a concept
    I could use a little fuel myself
    And we could all use a little change

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
    Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
    Didn't make sense not to live for fun
    Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do so much to see
    So what's wrong with taking the back streets
    You'll never know if you don't go
    You'll never shine if you don't glow.

[Chorus]
    And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold
  6. Jan 6, 2016
    Shrek é uma das melhores animações que eu já assisti. Possivelmente o melhor filme que a DreamWorks já fez. Com narrativa muito boa, uma história simples e singela, personagens cativantes e animação muito bem feita, Shrek conseguiu marcar uma geração, com esse filme maravilhoso.
  7. Jan 5, 2016
    Shrek, a screwball fable from debuting directors Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson, also looks good enough to justify some preening. Based on a children's book by William Steig, the film represents a new peak in computer animation from PDI/ DreamWorks — the folks who brought you Antz. But this time they've added humans to the mix. Shrek, voiced by Mike Myers with the same Scottish burr heShrek, a screwball fable from debuting directors Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson, also looks good enough to justify some preening. Based on a children's book by William Steig, the film represents a new peak in computer animation from PDI/ DreamWorks — the folks who brought you Antz. But this time they've added humans to the mix. Shrek, voiced by Mike Myers with the same Scottish burr he gave Fat Bastard in the last Austin Powers flick, is a big, green, stinking ogre who sticks close to his home in the swamps to avoid people who call him a big, green, stinking ogre. But then the badass Lord Farquaad (voiced by John Lithgow), a three-foot-tall bully with a giant ego, demands that Shrek rescue Farquaad's feisty intended, Princess Fiona (voiced by Cameron Diaz), from a fire-breathing lady dragon who has her mojo going for Shrek's pal Donkey (brayed to comic perfection by Eddie Murphy). Insiders will tell you that Farquaad is DreamWorks chief Jeffrey Katzenberg's revenge on his former Disney boss Michael Eisner. What, just because Farquaad's kingdom is a theme park with turnstiles and his subjects include Pinocchio, Cinderella and Snow White? Forget the in-jokes, the moral messages about beauty being skin-deep (No! Really?) and the rock soundtrack. By the time Smash Mouth sing the Monkees' hit "I'm a Believer," you'll be a believer, too. What matters about Shrek is the wonder of the photorealistic animation — only God can make a tree, but a million digital polygons come damn close — the humor of the storytelling and the way the characters touch your heart without making you puke. Cannes judges might blanch at the product tie-ins (green ketchup from Heinz — puh-leese!), but Shrek is a world-class charmer that could even seduce the Academy when it hands out the first official animation Oscar next year. A hermit hero whose farts kill fish, the first smart ass to talk onscreen since Ace Ventura, a hidden dragon of a princess who sings off-key and a villain based on Disney's CEO — what's not to like? Expand
  8. Jan 3, 2016
    Although too dark for your little kids, Shrek has captured the feelings of what it takes to be a jokester at Disney's side. The kids won't understand most of the maturity in this movie while they're watching it.
  9. Nov 15, 2015
    so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see
  10. Oct 24, 2015
    shrek is love shrek is life, shrek ishrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, s love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is loveshrek is love shrek is life, shrek ishrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, s love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, shrek is love shrek is life, Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was only 9 years old I loved Shrek so much i had all the merchandise and movies. i prayed to Shrek every night thanking him for the life i have been giving. Shrek is love i say Shrek is life. my dad hears me and calls me a **** i knew he was just Jeolous of my devotion for Shrek. i called him a **** he slaps and tells me t o go to bed. i'm crying now my face hurts and its really cold. i feel a warmth coming closer something touched me. its Shrek. i'm so happy. he leans and whispers into my ear. this is my swamp. he grabs me with is power full ogre hand and puts me on my hands and knees. i'm ready. i spread my ass cheeks for Shrek as he penetrates my butt hole. it hurts so much but i do it for Shrek. i fell m butt start to tear as my eyes start to water i push against his mighty force. i want to please Shrek. he roars a mighty roar filling my butt with his love. my dad walks in what the **** Shrek looks him straight in the eyes and says it all ogre now. Shrek leaves through my window. Shrek is love Shrek is life. Expand
  12. Sep 19, 2015
    This film is Dreamworks' equivalent to Toy Story. It's smart, witty and entertaining for kids and adults alike. Eddie Murphy gives the best performance of his career as Donkey, the franchise's parody of Disney comic relief characters. The story is your typical "save the princess from the dragon" story but the twist is that the saviour is a monster! I'd highly recommend this, it's a classic.
  13. Sep 9, 2015
    Shrek is a brilliant film with some good jokes and characters. The perfect way to start a franchise. Although Monsters, Inc. should have won the oscar in 2001.
  14. Aug 8, 2015
  15. Aug 6, 2015
    don't judge a book by it's cover, sometimes, you have to peel away a few layers of that onion to really understand someone. Also all the smash mouth!! personally i think mike myers hamed it up a bit here and there when it came to love but otherwise it was great
  16. Jul 21, 2015
    Wow , super wow , super duper wow . Dreamworks Animation. It strengthened and Shrek animation (if not mistaken) , was one of the first of the production , I loved that movie.
  17. Jul 20, 2015
    La primera parte de Shrek es una de las mejores películas animadas de todos los tiempos. Shrek no solo parodia otras cintas animadas, sino también ofrece un excelente mensaje de amor y amistad. Una gran obra con grandes momentos muy divertidos e inolvidables. Un espectáculo que chicos y grandes disfrutaran.
  18. Jul 13, 2015
    shrek es 100% maravilla es la mejor pelicula de su empresa dreamworks y merece llegar al puntaje de 100 en puntaje ademas merece la quinta pelicula y el oscar
  19. May 19, 2015
    shrek is life
    shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love shrek is life shrek is love
  20. Apr 25, 2015
    a pretty good film from DreamWorks. the charters were either good or ok the ending was amazing it funny most of the job do not work it a pretty good film.
  21. Apr 25, 2015
    Dreamworks Pictures' wonderful, whimsical Shrek proves to be the latest family film to live up to its billing. With its blend of high adventure, light romance, and double-layered dialogue (which will take on a slightly different meaning for the under- and over-12 crowd), Shrek is capable of enthralling both children and their parents. In fact, this movie is so good that adultsDreamworks Pictures' wonderful, whimsical Shrek proves to be the latest family film to live up to its billing. With its blend of high adventure, light romance, and double-layered dialogue (which will take on a slightly different meaning for the under- and over-12 crowd), Shrek is capable of enthralling both children and their parents. In fact, this movie is so good that adults unaccompanied by offspring can venture into a theater without having to dress up in a disguise. Shrek is not a guilty pleasure for sophisticated movie-goers; it is, purely and simply, a pleasure.

When it comes to computer-generated motion pictures, Shrek has once more raised the bar - and this one was already at an impressively high level in the wake of Toy Story 2 and Dinosaur. Yet Shrek outshines them both, boasting the most impressive detail and most amazingly rendered creatures of any motion picture in its class. And, although the human beings still don't look entirely realistic, they're getting close. In fact, this is the first major computer animated film in which human beings have had a significant role (they played secondary parts in the two Toy Storys), and their appearance is such that we have no more trouble accepting them than we do in traditional animated fare.

Shrek is essentially Beauty and the Beast with a few clever twists. In the quirky, irreverent way that it views fairy tales and their conventions, it's not unlike The Princess Bride. Fans of those two stories will find much to like here. And, both kids and adults can play a game of "guess how many famous faces we can see". There are certainly a large number of cameos: Pinnochio (a "possessed toy"), Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Cinderella, the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Pigs, the Gingerbread Man, the Three Blind Mice, the Mirror (as in "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all..."), and many others.

Many of Shrek's funniest lines (like "a castle that big must mean he's compensating for something") will go over younger viewer's heads, but there are still plenty that won't ("I'm going to save my ass", referring to Donkey). The screenplay was obviously written with all age groups in mind. Shrek is not on such a lofty plane that children will feel as if they're missing something, but it isn't lobotomized in a way that will insult the intelligence of older viewers.

As impressive as the visuals are - and they are very impressive - Shrek wouldn't be the movie it is without a quartet of effective vocal performances. As this kind of animation becomes more prevalent, the importance of choosing the right voices will need equal care and attention. Voices help to define the characters, and a bad choice can do irreparable damage. Just as not all silent stars were suitable for talkie roles, so not all live-action actors can do vocal performances. Fortunately, Shrek has four capable actors. First and foremost is Mike Myers, who is known as a vocal chameleon. Without seeing his name in the opening credits, you'd never know it was him. John Lithgow plays Faquaad as nasty and short-sighted, but not really evil, which makes a pleasant change from the usual animated villain. Eddie Murphy shows that a real comic genius can get laughs without relying on his own facial expressions and body language. Murphy's Donkey is one of the funniest characters he has brought to the screen. (Here, he improves upon what he did in Mulan.) Finally, Cameron Diaz's princess is equal parts sugar and vinegar. She believes in true love and Prince Charming, but, like her Charlie's Angels alter-ego, she's not afraid to do a little Matrix-style butt kicking.

The interplay between Shrek and Princess Fiona is sweet and tender, while the exchanges between the ogre and the ass are often barbed and subversively funny. Like The Princess Bride, Shrek breaks with convention, but not so far that viewers will be put off by it. And, while there is a happy ending (as there must be in any fairy tale, no matter how unconventional), it's not necessarily the conclusion that many people will be expecting (at least up until the 2/3 point, when the movie reveals its hand). First-time co-directors Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson (he has worked as a visual supervisor on other films, including the two Joel Schumacher Batmans; this is her first credit) have crafted a movie to be proud of, and one that will hopefully receive a lot of attention, even during the crowded summer season. Shrek is easily one of the year's most magical experiences.
  22. Mar 11, 2015
    A childhood favorite of mine! Shrek is so funny, so irreverent and also has a heart in him somewhere. I loved this animated movie, I could watch it over and over and over again. Recommend this movie to any family.
  23. Mar 6, 2015
    Great movie,best animated movie of all time,I dare to say.So funny,yet interesting and great to watch for all generations.I must 've been watching this 10 times before and it is still fun.
  24. Feb 28, 2015
    Great movie! It was even better than the book. The storyline was awesome. The voice acting was great. The characters were fun. Mike Myers was great as the voice of Shrek. Shrek was the start of a great movie franchise and you should definitely watch this film.
  25. Feb 8, 2015
    Shrek is a children's classic, but it is also a film that adults can find funny also. This was film that kicked off a fairly strong franchise and boasted an incredible cast of voices. Eddie Murphy could not be more funny as Donkey and Mike Myers aces the perfect voice for the big green ogre Shrek. The first film to win the Oscar for best animated picture may be the best film to ever win the award.
  26. Nov 19, 2014
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life! Expand
  27. Nov 11, 2014
    As a follower of Shrek, I have taken it upon myself to write this review, hopefully spreading the word of Shrek to all. This great American film should be at 100, but the Farquaads have corrupted the reviews through false information. Brogres, unite to destroy this great evil! Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek isAs a follower of Shrek, I have taken it upon myself to write this review, hopefully spreading the word of Shrek to all. This great American film should be at 100, but the Farquaads have corrupted the reviews through false information. Brogres, unite to destroy this great evil! Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Expand
  28. Oct 19, 2014
    Once upon a time in a far away swamp, there lived an ornery ogre named Shrek (Myers) whose precious solitude is suddenly shattered by an invasion of annoying fairy-tale characters.
  29. Oct 13, 2014
    Whilst the film has a lot of innuendos that kids probably won't understand, it has A LOT of fun with what it's given. It's an instant classic an creates a whole new spin on fairy tales.
  30. Oct 2, 2014
    a really good tale , story , magical cast why not watch it again and again and it'll never get old. I have watched it movie like a 100 times it suprises me how many times i have watch this movie its one of the animated classic's tales of them all ( shrek is not my favorite character....... especially i have never thought Micheal Myers was actually took this role seriously since he is thea really good tale , story , magical cast why not watch it again and again and it'll never get old. I have watched it movie like a 100 times it suprises me how many times i have watch this movie its one of the animated classic's tales of them all ( shrek is not my favorite character....... especially i have never thought Micheal Myers was actually took this role seriously since he is the dumb ass from the dumb james bond parody series movies). Also Cameron Diaz took is good along with Eddie Murphy. Grade A+ Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2014
    Shrek fez parte da minha infância. Como pode um filme com um tema "clichê" ser tão bom? Eu realmente não sei, só sei que é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Criatividade é o que não falta.
  32. Aug 14, 2014
    Shrek was always my favorite character from film animation. In this movie, he proves we don't need to be pretty or handsome to be happy in our life. And that's saying something.
  33. Jul 7, 2014
    I honestly find this movie pretty decent. It's not bad. But the scenes are kinda boring. I kinda got a laugh at a few scenes like when the bird exploded and where Fiona goes in slo-mo. I find Fiona pretty badass. It's a decent movie. I'm only gonna give it a 5 out of 10 'cause most scenes I find it boring. But still, my suggestion is go see the movie if you hadn't seen it.
  34. Jun 29, 2014
    i was only 9 years old I loved Shrek so much i had all the merchandise and movies. i prayed to Shrek every night thanking him for the life i have been giving. Shrek is love i say Shrek is life. my dad hears me and calls me a **** i knew he was just Jeolous of my devotion for Shrek. i called him a **** he slaps and tells me t o go to bed. i'm crying now my face hurts and its really cold. ii was only 9 years old I loved Shrek so much i had all the merchandise and movies. i prayed to Shrek every night thanking him for the life i have been giving. Shrek is love i say Shrek is life. my dad hears me and calls me a **** i knew he was just Jeolous of my devotion for Shrek. i called him a **** he slaps and tells me t o go to bed. i'm crying now my face hurts and its really cold. i feel a warmth coming closer something touched me. its Shrek. i'm so happy. he leans and whispers into my ear. this is my swamp. he grabs me with is power full ogre hand and puts me on my hands and knees. i'm ready. i spread my ass cheeks for Shrek as he penetrates my butt hole. it hurts so much but i do it for Shrek. i fell m butt start to tear as my eyes start to water i push against his mighty force. i want to please Shrek. he roars a mighty roar filling my butt with his love. my dad walks in what the **** Shrek looks him straight in the eyes and says it all ogre now. Shrek leaves through my window. Shrek is love Shrek is life. Expand
  35. Mar 5, 2014
    Very nice with good story, represents true love and friendship, and the animation is super. I would give 9 but i miss excitement and adventure was not much to say, but either way is good and won an Oscar for best animated film, fine by Dreamworks.
  36. Mar 3, 2014
    The Shrek series-- even after all the praise the first one got-- just got worse and worse has time went on. And the first installment wasn't that good to begin with.
  37. Jan 6, 2014
    Uma das animações mais originais da década de 2000.
  38. Dec 17, 2013
    When it came out, I honestly didn't think too much of it. The character were OK, the story was a little unique yet also a little cliched at the same time. But what really does make the first Shrek movie are the performances. Myers, Murphy, Lithgow and Diaz are just fantastic and really add powerful energy to an otherwise dull film with that's a perhaps a bit too kid friendly for its ownWhen it came out, I honestly didn't think too much of it. The character were OK, the story was a little unique yet also a little cliched at the same time. But what really does make the first Shrek movie are the performances. Myers, Murphy, Lithgow and Diaz are just fantastic and really add powerful energy to an otherwise dull film with that's a perhaps a bit too kid friendly for its own good.

Overall:
    Shrek was allot of fun but also a little raw and uninspired. Luckily the cast really save the day and make this movie worth watching to the end.
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    Shrek is a wonderful, amazing movie fun for the kids and brogres all along. It is a thrilling move filled with fun and action, and Shrek himself is a beautiful and charming man. Infact, I masturbate to him every night. And here it is: the essential plot twist of any detective movie and yes, there is a certain gumshoe element here. Shrek falls in love with the princess he's been ordered toShrek is a wonderful, amazing movie fun for the kids and brogres all along. It is a thrilling move filled with fun and action, and Shrek himself is a beautiful and charming man. Infact, I masturbate to him every night. And here it is: the essential plot twist of any detective movie and yes, there is a certain gumshoe element here. Shrek falls in love with the princess he's been ordered to find. But we don't need to get into that too much. What counts in "Shrek" is the sideshow, whether it's the fluid, lifelike visuals or the slightly twisted humor.

While kids can chortle at Farquaad torturing the Gingerbread Man in a protracted, cookie-crumbling scene (The horror, the horror!), grownups can smirk at jokes about Disneyland's character-named parking lots or laugh at the scene when Farquaad consults with the Magic Mirror for wifely candidates. Snow White, says the Mirror, is definitely possible. "Although she lives with seven men," he tells Farquaad, "she's not easy."

The bread and butter of the movie, though, is the back-and-forth among the three main characters as they journey to Farquaad. Myers is inventively funny, as are Murphy, who's doing slightly badder variations on his "Mulan" character, Mushu, and Diaz, who makes a funny, earthy princess. There's a rather lovely romantic element at work, too, which hinges on the princess's closely held secret and a positive message about inner beauty in the bargain. So, we have a movie that appeals to the eye, mind, heart and funny bone; that's a pretty good quadruple for any movie. It's certainly a bright first step for the summer.
  40. Nov 12, 2013
    Its satirical elements are straightforward and blunt in a way that gives the film its laughter. Like most great cartoon films, the voice acting is superb [Eddie Murphy], and the dialogue works well with the voices, as does the unconventional dialogue (for a cartoon). Parodied well, unlike most satires, which I can't stand to look at.
  41. Jul 28, 2013
    A great and funny animated film for all ages! You gotta love the story and how it plays with classic children's stories and nursery rhymes. Unique and interesting and an animated classic!
  42. Jul 16, 2013
    It's sure not the best movie of 2001, but back then when I was younger I really liked it. It was funny, and I think DW did a great thing creating this movie.
  43. Jul 4, 2013
    "Shrek" is laugh out loud hilarious, and deals with the odds of his ugly appearance well, and in my opinion a great film. Why not give it a 10, you ask me? Well, here's why.
    "Shrek" involves a wonderful twist in comedy on fairy tales, and does it quite well in a way. The animation is beautiful, and strikes as a nice setting in a fairy tale. "Shrek" does backlash at Disney, and doesn't get hurt in the process, as it is truly hilarious to watch. Yet, Shrek's humor and characters do fall a little short after a while, and it is realized that comedy can only take you so far. When comparing "Shrek" to its competitor at the Oscars, "Monsters Inc.", I was really disappointed it won, due to the qualities that "Monsters Inc." posseses that "Shrek" doesn't. While "Monsters Inc." mixes alot of humor, setting, and heart into its storytelling, "Shrek" puts alot of emphasis on humor than setting and heart. Yes, "Shrek" does have the ugly thing going for it, but it's put against to much humor to even tell it. "Shrek" may have been special for an animated film back then, because of its humor, but now, heart is what is really major in storytelling.
    While this review may seem negative, it's not. "Shrek" is hilarious if anything, and you will probably be laughing your socks off from Eddie Murphey's Donkey.
  44. Jun 9, 2013
    Very funny, lively, and charming. It manages to appeal to a wide range of people, which is why it comes off as one of the better animation movies in the last decade.
  45. Jun 5, 2013
    While Shrek may not make laugh anymore still has lots of things to keep my interest. I like the characters and their relationship. The film starizes fairy tales, Disney films in particular, taking a story that has been done to death and doing something new with it. Top that off with some nice animation and music and you have a strong film. If you have not seen this film yet check it outWhile Shrek may not make laugh anymore still has lots of things to keep my interest. I like the characters and their relationship. The film starizes fairy tales, Disney films in particular, taking a story that has been done to death and doing something new with it. Top that off with some nice animation and music and you have a strong film. If you have not seen this film yet check it out all the stuff I mentioned plus the humor make for enjoyable film that you will be glad you saw. There is a reason why this film spawned three sequels and a spin off. Shrek is one of Dreamworks’ finest.

Final Score: 75/100
  46. Apr 1, 2013
    This film is the very definition of mediocre.
    it was funny and enjoyable, but Eddie Murphy, the Godsend, wasn't the main source of entertainment, he was blend.
    +the fact that the film was a boring at times.
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    I enjoyed it, but it was kinda OK. I'm kinda giving it a mixed bag. And yes, you are not going to believe it, but I actually prefer all of the other 3 films over this film, they have better animation (well of course), better jokes and a better plot.
  48. Mar 13, 2013
    Animation classic, DreamWorks's biggest hit Shrek! Probably one of the greatest animation's of 21th century yet! The Story is great and the adventure is awesome! You should definitely watch this if you didn't. My score 7/10
  49. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an un-fairytale in that it takes funny cliches and stereotypes from fairytales and pokes fun at them in a humourous way. While I think this film would be enjoyable to children there are many jokes in it that are aimed at an adult audience that grew up in the 70s or 80s. This movie is very charming and entertaining. The voice acting by well-known actors and actresses reallyThis movie is an un-fairytale in that it takes funny cliches and stereotypes from fairytales and pokes fun at them in a humourous way. While I think this film would be enjoyable to children there are many jokes in it that are aimed at an adult audience that grew up in the 70s or 80s. This movie is very charming and entertaining. The voice acting by well-known actors and actresses really brings the characters to life. Expand
  50. Dec 22, 2012
    A motion picture phonomenom Enchantingly irreverrent. An OGER sized adventure
  51. Jul 21, 2012
    Heart -warming, endearing and charming. A perennial classic, that has produced 3 equally good sequels. Deriving from a vast number of fairy tales, Shrek is an animation for the whole family, with its wit and satire that is both spellbinding and humorous. The characters have inimitable personalities, to their fairytale counterparts. Donkey played by Eddie Murphy is easily defined asHeart -warming, endearing and charming. A perennial classic, that has produced 3 equally good sequels. Deriving from a vast number of fairy tales, Shrek is an animation for the whole family, with its wit and satire that is both spellbinding and humorous. The characters have inimitable personalities, to their fairytale counterparts. Donkey played by Eddie Murphy is easily defined as the break out character, with his vivacious and gregarious attitude and his memorable lines. The only Dreamworks' movie superior to Pixar 10/10 Expand
  52. May 24, 2012
    It is a good movie but it falls flat when it comes to jokes and the humor, they are very ridiculous and corny. But I do love the graphics and the overall animation. The plot was just good. The characters' voices are good. Most of it was good but not great....
  53. May 2, 2012
    Easily one of the best animated films I have ever seen. The cast is amazing. The movie is hilarious and good from start to finish. It's rare for me to enjoy an animated film as much as I did but this one is definently one of the best I have seen.
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    Impossible to not love this movie, this is one of the best movies Dreamworks has ever produced.
    I am not going to waste your time saying anything else, just go and watch it, NOW
  55. Feb 11, 2012
    It is so funny and interesting and it is a piece of a godgest work ! "Shrek" is the best, and the last, masterpiece that Dreamworks animation created. It has a powerful force that appeals greatly to the audience, a power comparable to those of Pixar's.
  56. Dec 28, 2011
    Even on repeated viewings, Shrek doesn't lose its appeal. It's just as funny, creative and entertaining as it ever was, and though more recent animated films have surpassed it in terms of quality of animation, it still looks good, and you have to wonder whether animation technology would have developed at the rate it has without this film. The voice cast are perfect - Mike Myers and EddieEven on repeated viewings, Shrek doesn't lose its appeal. It's just as funny, creative and entertaining as it ever was, and though more recent animated films have surpassed it in terms of quality of animation, it still looks good, and you have to wonder whether animation technology would have developed at the rate it has without this film. The voice cast are perfect - Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy as Shrek and Donkey put in their very best comic performances, and make the buddy movie element of the film work, Cameron Diaz's Fiona quite literally kicks the traditional fairytale idea of a damsel in distress in the face, and John Lithgow's Lord Farquaad is a brilliantly pantomime villain. Where Shrek really stands out in in expertise in the fine comedy art of parody. You can quite literally tick off the fairytales and films Shrek affectionately pokes fun at, and the film also has some quite astute things to say about commercialisation, celebrity and the modern media-centric world. Add to this the film's stonking soundtrack and a soft, gooey moral message, and it becomes an extremely fulfilling entertainment extravaganza for all. As fantastic as Shrek is, Andrew Adamson and co. would show the world they'd seen nothing yet in the sequel... Expand
  57. Dec 24, 2011
    The satyric aspect of the story is one of the reasons why "Shrek" is so refreshing, riveting and loved by so many people. Definitely, it is Dreamworks greatest masterpiece and one of my all time favorite animations.
  58. Dec 21, 2011
    Shrek is charming, original, beautiful and one of the funniest films I have seen on my life. And not only is it good it is great because it has so much heart. I give this movie 92%.
  59. Dec 12, 2011
    Probably one of the best animated films you will see in your life. Shrek has everything going for it - Solid voice acting by a highly experianced cast, A funny story, and an interesting film that was worth sitting through. Shrek is good.
  60. Nov 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shrek has a great story about friendship and love. Shrek is an ogre who has no friends, due to his appearance, but when a greedy king to be known as Lord Farquaad forces other fairy tale creatures to live in Shrek's swamp, Shrek must go on a quest to rescue Princess Fiona from a castle with a dangerous dragon. Expand
  61. Oct 18, 2011
    Shrek is a great adventure its funny and a great movie for you and your kids. Just watch out you never know whats gonna happen. I loved it I would give it a 9/10
  62. Sep 28, 2011
  63. Sep 5, 2011
    Dreamworks Animation is very inferior to Disney's famous CGI company Pixar. Every single movie those two companies made were great and I loved every single one of them except Dreamworks's huge disappointments like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie" even though they weren't the worst movies ever made. By far, my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie is none other than "Shrek" loosely based on theDreamworks Animation is very inferior to Disney's famous CGI company Pixar. Every single movie those two companies made were great and I loved every single one of them except Dreamworks's huge disappointments like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie" even though they weren't the worst movies ever made. By far, my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie is none other than "Shrek" loosely based on the book by William Steig. It tells the story about Shrek, a peace loving ogre who is desperate to save his swamp (along with help from a talkative donkey named, well, Donkey) that has been taken over by the fairy tale creatures sent by Lord Farquaad. He makes a deal that if Shrek rescues Princess Fiona, he'll give him his swamp back. I can't spoil the rest only to those who haven't seen it.

Everything about this movie is magnificent. The story was very original due to Dreamworks's earlier entries. The characters were great/funny. Donkey was by far the most hilarious fairy tale character I have ever seen and Shrek had a couple of funny lines. The voice acting for the characters were absolutely perfect and they gave their successful talents for this movie. The computer animation is stunningly amazing with very rich colorful backgrounds and striking visuals. The pop culture jokes were very funny I loved every single one of them. The music from Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell was beautiful with some very emotional melodies including the song "It Is You I Have Loved" sung by Dana Glover was lovely.

Shrek is Dreamworks Animation's strongest animated adventure comedy which was intended for its younger audiences and it is suitable for kids ages +8-12. A solid thumbs from me :)
  64. Jun 30, 2011
    It is really overrated, but it is not bad. I liked the animation, and I liked the plot(somewhat). The main thing that I didn't like was the voice acting. Eddie Murphy is one the most annoying people to ever live, and that is very apparent here. Mike Meyers isn't much better, however Cameron Diaz is. I usually get bored with it when watching it, but not always. This is a movie that you haveIt is really overrated, but it is not bad. I liked the animation, and I liked the plot(somewhat). The main thing that I didn't like was the voice acting. Eddie Murphy is one the most annoying people to ever live, and that is very apparent here. Mike Meyers isn't much better, however Cameron Diaz is. I usually get bored with it when watching it, but not always. This is a movie that you have to be in the right mood to see. It is not like other, better animated movies, such as anything by Pixar. It didn't deserve the Oscar for Best Animated Film, Monster's Inc did. As a whole, it is not that funny, and only a few jokes are actually good. Mainly, those jokes don't have much to do with the leads, but with background stuff. See it if you want, but if you don't, you won't miss it. Expand
  65. May 31, 2011
    IT WAS GREAT AND ORIGINAL it was wonderful and funny. it was genius. its a winner for sure. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 out of 10.
  66. Apr 30, 2011
    The movie was alright. It's funny enough and it's watchable. The best thing was Eddie Murphy who was fantastic in the movie.
  67. Apr 18, 2011
    Borrowing heavily from Disney and classic fairytales, Shrek qualifies as one of the funniest animated comedies to date. Pros: Greatly animated; hilarious characters, dialog, and pop culture references; unforgettable voice acting; heartwarming; what animated comedies should be made of. Cons: May seem a tad bit filthy to some parents; unfortunately, it influenced the hundreds ofBorrowing heavily from Disney and classic fairytales, Shrek qualifies as one of the funniest animated comedies to date. Pros: Greatly animated; hilarious characters, dialog, and pop culture references; unforgettable voice acting; heartwarming; what animated comedies should be made of. Cons: May seem a tad bit filthy to some parents; unfortunately, it influenced the hundreds of Shrek-wannabes your kiddies crave. Expand
  68. Oct 11, 2010
    The kids market is often helped by an adult gag or two and Shrek is no different. Inside jokes for the parents, outside jokes for the kids it's a good 90 minutes of family fun. Superb animation and voice-overs make it a dreamworks classic. When you are down, watch Shrek, you'll be smiling again in no time.
  69. Oct 6, 2010
    While I like the movie, I think it's overrated. It wasn't until Shrek 2 that I really became a Shrek fan, becuase I think the first sequel (not Shrek 3) is much, much funnier.
  70. Oct 4, 2010
    Shrek is one of those amazing films which has enough wit and depth to please both a younger and older audience. It was Dreamwork's first big hit, and still remains their best. The animation is stunning, the humour consistent and hilarious and the story highly original. The whole concept of fairytale creatures as one body no longer being accepted in society is very creative. If you add aShrek is one of those amazing films which has enough wit and depth to please both a younger and older audience. It was Dreamwork's first big hit, and still remains their best. The animation is stunning, the humour consistent and hilarious and the story highly original. The whole concept of fairytale creatures as one body no longer being accepted in society is very creative. If you add a dragon, a tough ogre, a mad donkey, a karate princess and a very 'short' King to this, you've got the ultimate animated film. 'Shrek' is the ultimate family movie, and is sure to please kids and their parents. Expand
  71. BrianK
    Aug 30, 2007
    Shrek isn't the least bit sophisticated or thought provoking, but it is filled with nonstop laughs and a little bit of action. It seems like a good film for adults and children alike.
  72. JaredB.
    Jan 26, 2007
    How refreshing to see a kids' movie that is also fun for adults. I was 21 when this film came out, and I laughed out loud on several occasions. The voice casting was right on. This is a funny, great-looking film.
  73. ChrisK.
    May 31, 2006
    Nicely done Dreamworks! This movie has an excellent taste in humor as well as giving some life lessons on what's really beautiful and what's not. I believe many folks of all ages will love this movie.
  74. danielg.
    May 12, 2006
    I thought it the movie had a great combinatino of kid and adult humor with shrek for the adult humour and donkey for the children humour....very nicely done.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I like this and Shrek 2 about the same. Comedy is funny but not TOO over the top. First time I saw it I was on a plane to Taiwan to visit my relatives, and I was instantly hooked.
  76. Tash
    Nov 6, 2005
    Excellent movie~! Makes you laugh!! Lovin it' =D
  77. TerenceM.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Clever, funny, fast-moving ... it mocks Walt Disney wonderfully and sets new standards for family movies.
  78. KimL.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Great movie ! Lot of techniques used to convey the mock on the fairytale genre!
  79. G.M.D.K.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Funny movie, but highly, highly overrated!
  80. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A LOT of fun!
  81. ElizabethN.
    Jan 27, 2005
    I think that this movie was a great movie, i really enjoyed it. and so does my son. the bright colors and music, all the action is all so sweet.
  82. Sam
    Sep 27, 2004
    It has a gorgeous look to it, and the first half is hilarious, half number 2 is lacking in humor. Great first half, but a lacking second half.
  83. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    Just brilliant. Superbly written, with so much depth and multiple "layers" (Onion-boy!) it stands up to countless reruns, somehow managing to offer something new each time! Every facet of this film has been expertly though-out and treated with care, from the voice talent, to the music, to the character design, to the CGI. It's the complete experience, and one that will win over Just brilliant. Superbly written, with so much depth and multiple "layers" (Onion-boy!) it stands up to countless reruns, somehow managing to offer something new each time! Every facet of this film has been expertly though-out and treated with care, from the voice talent, to the music, to the character design, to the CGI. It's the complete experience, and one that will win over people of all ages. Don't miss it! Expand
  84. EmilyD.
    May 13, 2004
    GREAT i've watched it over and over and still enjoy every bit.
  85. GordoA.
    May 8, 2004
    Shrek is one of the best family movies ever. It is clever and funny. You would want to see this movie over and over.
  86. VikramM.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Shrek was okay. Not great, but good enough. I have to say it was not like SOME movies where it is a waste of an hour and a half of your life! I have to admit that the bathroom jokes were getting old, but there are some stuff in there that was funny. Mike Myers' job out of ten I would say a seven, not horrible like in Cat in the Hat, but pretty good. Once again, it was good not great.
  87. TomM.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Pure class.
  88. PatC.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Such an enjoyable movie for both adults & children. Breaks new ground to demonstrate the diversity of animation while being clever and funny. This movie will be a favorite for a long long time. I downgrade to a 9 because, let's admit it, fairy tale characters have stereotypical limits when forced to perform in a formula ending for simple-minded romantics.
  89. ButteredPopcorn
    Nov 29, 2003
    I liked it. Funny, very much original, great soundtrack. Characters are appealing and bounce of each other well. Ths movie appealed more to my wife and I than it did to our 3 year old. A lot of sly grownup humor through-out.
  90. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    PDI is no Pixar, and this film is no Monsters, Inc. , but it has feirce originality, good animation, and a good plot. That is SO hard to find in animation nowadays, not to mention hilarity, which with this film is infectious.
  91. MeikoL.
    Jun 8, 2003
    Some people hate this film because of the bathroom jokes. I only spotted about 2. Not a whole lot. So why complain so much about this great movie?
  92. ShrekFan
    May 18, 2003
    One of the best and utterly delightful movies of 2001. The wild characters and hilarious situations they encounter really made me love it. The animation is top-notch and the script is clever and wonderfully imaginative. But I don't know if it's better than Monsters, Inc. They're BOTH wonderful!
  93. K.L.
    May 17, 2003
    Hilarious. It's like an animated-version of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" mixed with "Robin Hood: Man in Tights"! Masterpiece.
  94. Skrekfreak
    Jan 11, 2003
    It is so funny! It inspired me, thrilled me! It is truly an exhilarating film! Brilliant!
  95. Stick
    Dec 23, 2002
    Shrek is fast becoming one of my all time favorite animated movies. No other film can match its graphics. The story line is superb, however, there were a few one-liners that had children repeating things like "Eat Me". All-in-all... a great movie.
  96. RedversK.
    Dec 18, 2002
    Not as good as Monsters Inc but very nearly...so get both. What is Jack D on about btw? The jokes lack AND lack originality? Shock horra.
  97. GilbertMurloneycakesVsTheWolfman
    Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, because no other films use contemporary popular music in their soundtracks, do they? Forced sarcasm aside, this is a Great Film, almost...all..most as good as anything from Pixar. Mike Myers is good value as a Scots McOgre. You can just TELL that Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy are wearing huge grins on their faces with almost every line they deliver. And the casting of the Yeah, because no other films use contemporary popular music in their soundtracks, do they? Forced sarcasm aside, this is a Great Film, almost...all..most as good as anything from Pixar. Mike Myers is good value as a Scots McOgre. You can just TELL that Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy are wearing huge grins on their faces with almost every line they deliver. And the casting of the Ultra-Gangly John Lithgow as a tiny little shortarse is so perfect it must have been conscious. If you don't like this movie, you're probably a callous husk of a being. Expand
  98. JackD.
    Dec 1, 2002
    Way overrated. The jokes are easy, lack, and lack originality.
  99. J.B.
    Nov 7, 2002
    Oh come on people! this movie tried too hard to hit all points. How come they couldn't can't make their own damn sountrack? I mean Smashmouth?! Way to date your film. I love Mike Myers - but his "if it's not scottish -it's crap" voice over (which btw, they reprecorded after they decided they didn't like his regular vocals). And the Dr. Doolittle Eddie Murphy Oh come on people! this movie tried too hard to hit all points. How come they couldn't can't make their own damn sountrack? I mean Smashmouth?! Way to date your film. I love Mike Myers - but his "if it's not scottish -it's crap" voice over (which btw, they reprecorded after they decided they didn't like his regular vocals). And the Dr. Doolittle Eddie Murphy Donkey made me want to yak. It's as if someone in Marketing said: let's make a film that will appeal to all ages- it will be a mix of "the Princess Bride" and "broadway's Into the Woods," but 3D ANIMATED. Then we'll make it hip by adding a few pop hits, and we'll get famous voices and make everyone tell sick jokes! Then we can call Burger King and have them make green slurpees and apple jelly dip! wow. It'll be great. And all you sick weirdos out there fell for it. This green piece won't be remembered for too long, take my word for it. Really, everybody thought the marky mark Planet of the Apes was great when it came out..and look what happened to that. Expand
  100. J.B.
    Nov 7, 2002

1. Desperately avoiding the risk of even a half-second of boredom, the movie is wall-to-window-to-door noise, babbling, and jokes.
    It's wondrous, it's fabulous, it's -- all but unprecedented.
  3. As innocent as a Disney movie -- and a lot more entertaining.