8.5

1. BrianF.
    Jan 7, 2002
    Am I the only that can see Shrek for what it really is? Is everyone on drugs. I understand kids liking it. It is a cartoon with funny zingers and a happy ending. But critics' praising it as the Best Movie of the Year? Did these same critics treat the last Adam Sandler movie with such reverance? I think not, though both had their fair share of farting jokes, one-liners, and exploding Am I the only that can see Shrek for what it really is? Is everyone on drugs. I understand kids liking it. It is a cartoon with funny zingers and a happy ending. But critics' praising it as the Best Movie of the Year? Did these same critics treat the last Adam Sandler movie with such reverance? I think not, though both had their fair share of farting jokes, one-liners, and exploding animals. I am a teenager, I love Sandler movies, and I liked Shrek. But its story would have been better served cutting out the green ogre and the princess and keeping the donkey and the fairy tale characters. And to call it a classic is ridiculous. It is not even the best animated movie of this year. "Monster's Inc." is much wittier, more developed, and more touching. Yes, Shrek is funny, though I had to admit the jokes grew stale about half-way through. But, give me "Toy Story" over this any old day. Expand
  2. Oct 11, 2010
    The kids market is often helped by an adult gag or two and Shrek is no different. Inside jokes for the parents, outside jokes for the kids it's a good 90 minutes of family fun. Superb animation and voice-overs make it a dreamworks classic. When you are down, watch Shrek, you'll be smiling again in no time.
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    Borrowing heavily from Disney and classic fairytales, Shrek qualifies as one of the funniest animated comedies to date. Pros: Greatly animated; hilarious characters, dialog, and pop culture references; unforgettable voice acting; heartwarming; what animated comedies should be made of. Cons: May seem a tad bit filthy to some parents; unfortunately, it influenced the hundreds ofBorrowing heavily from Disney and classic fairytales, Shrek qualifies as one of the funniest animated comedies to date. Pros: Greatly animated; hilarious characters, dialog, and pop culture references; unforgettable voice acting; heartwarming; what animated comedies should be made of. Cons: May seem a tad bit filthy to some parents; unfortunately, it influenced the hundreds of Shrek-wannabes your kiddies crave. Expand
  4. May 24, 2012
    It is a good movie but it falls flat when it comes to jokes and the humor, they are very ridiculous and corny. But I do love the graphics and the overall animation. The plot was just good. The characters' voices are good. Most of it was good but not great....
  5. Oct 18, 2011
    Shrek is a great adventure its funny and a great movie for you and your kids. Just watch out you never know whats gonna happen. I loved it I would give it a 9/10
  6. Jun 29, 2014
    i was only 9 years old I loved Shrek so much i had all the merchandise and movies. i prayed to Shrek every night thanking him for the life i have been giving. Shrek is love i say Shrek is life. my dad hears me and calls me a **** i knew he was just Jeolous of my devotion for Shrek. i called him a **** he slaps and tells me t o go to bed. i'm crying now my face hurts and its really cold. ii was only 9 years old I loved Shrek so much i had all the merchandise and movies. i prayed to Shrek every night thanking him for the life i have been giving. Shrek is love i say Shrek is life. my dad hears me and calls me a **** i knew he was just Jeolous of my devotion for Shrek. i called him a **** he slaps and tells me t o go to bed. i'm crying now my face hurts and its really cold. i feel a warmth coming closer something touched me. its Shrek. i'm so happy. he leans and whispers into my ear. this is my swamp. he grabs me with is power full ogre hand and puts me on my hands and knees. i'm ready. i spread my ass cheeks for Shrek as he penetrates my butt hole. it hurts so much but i do it for Shrek. i fell m butt start to tear as my eyes start to water i push against his mighty force. i want to please Shrek. he roars a mighty roar filling my butt with his love. my dad walks in what the **** Shrek looks him straight in the eyes and says it all ogre now. Shrek leaves through my window. Shrek is love Shrek is life. Expand
  7. Tash
    Nov 6, 2005
    Excellent movie~! Makes you laugh!! Lovin it' =D
  8. Dec 12, 2011
    Probably one of the best animated films you will see in your life. Shrek has everything going for it - Solid voice acting by a highly experianced cast, A funny story, and an interesting film that was worth sitting through. Shrek is good.
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    Impossible to not love this movie, this is one of the best movies Dreamworks has ever produced.
    I am not going to waste your time saying anything else, just go and watch it, NOW
  10. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an un-fairytale in that it takes funny cliches and stereotypes from fairytales and pokes fun at them in a humourous way. While I think this film would be enjoyable to children there are many jokes in it that are aimed at an adult audience that grew up in the 70s or 80s. This movie is very charming and entertaining. The voice acting by well-known actors and actresses reallyThis movie is an un-fairytale in that it takes funny cliches and stereotypes from fairytales and pokes fun at them in a humourous way. While I think this film would be enjoyable to children there are many jokes in it that are aimed at an adult audience that grew up in the 70s or 80s. This movie is very charming and entertaining. The voice acting by well-known actors and actresses really brings the characters to life. Expand
  11. Aug 14, 2014
    Shrek was always my favorite character from film animation. In this movie, he proves we don't need to be pretty or handsome to be happy in our life. And that's saying something.
  12. Nov 11, 2014
    As a follower of Shrek, I have taken it upon myself to write this review, hopefully spreading the word of Shrek to all. This great American film should be at 100, but the Farquaads have corrupted the reviews through false information. Brogres, unite to destroy this great evil! Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek isAs a follower of Shrek, I have taken it upon myself to write this review, hopefully spreading the word of Shrek to all. This great American film should be at 100, but the Farquaads have corrupted the reviews through false information. Brogres, unite to destroy this great evil! Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Expand
  13. Feb 28, 2015
    Great movie! It was even better than the book. The storyline was awesome. The voice acting was great. The characters were fun. Mike Myers was great as the voice of Shrek. Shrek was the start of a great movie franchise and you should definitely watch this film.
  14. Sep 28, 2011
  15. Sep 5, 2011
    Dreamworks Animation is very inferior to Disney's famous CGI company Pixar. Every single movie those two companies made were great and I loved every single one of them except Dreamworks's huge disappointments like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie" even though they weren't the worst movies ever made. By far, my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie is none other than "Shrek" loosely based on theDreamworks Animation is very inferior to Disney's famous CGI company Pixar. Every single movie those two companies made were great and I loved every single one of them except Dreamworks's huge disappointments like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie" even though they weren't the worst movies ever made. By far, my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie is none other than "Shrek" loosely based on the book by William Steig. It tells the story about Shrek, a peace loving ogre who is desperate to save his swamp (along with help from a talkative donkey named, well, Donkey) that has been taken over by the fairy tale creatures sent by Lord Farquaad. He makes a deal that if Shrek rescues Princess Fiona, he'll give him his swamp back. I can't spoil the rest only to those who haven't seen it.

Everything about this movie is magnificent. The story was very original due to Dreamworks's earlier entries. The characters were great/funny. Donkey was by far the most hilarious fairy tale character I have ever seen and Shrek had a couple of funny lines. The voice acting for the characters were absolutely perfect and they gave their successful talents for this movie. The computer animation is stunningly amazing with very rich colorful backgrounds and striking visuals. The pop culture jokes were very funny I loved every single one of them. The music from Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell was beautiful with some very emotional melodies including the song "It Is You I Have Loved" sung by Dana Glover was lovely.

Shrek is Dreamworks Animation's strongest animated adventure comedy which was intended for its younger audiences and it is suitable for kids ages +8-12. A solid thumbs from me :)
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    Heart -warming, endearing and charming. A perennial classic, that has produced 3 equally good sequels. Deriving from a vast number of fairy tales, Shrek is an animation for the whole family, with its wit and satire that is both spellbinding and humorous. The characters have inimitable personalities, to their fairytale counterparts. Donkey played by Eddie Murphy is easily defined asHeart -warming, endearing and charming. A perennial classic, that has produced 3 equally good sequels. Deriving from a vast number of fairy tales, Shrek is an animation for the whole family, with its wit and satire that is both spellbinding and humorous. The characters have inimitable personalities, to their fairytale counterparts. Donkey played by Eddie Murphy is easily defined as the break out character, with his vivacious and gregarious attitude and his memorable lines. The only Dreamworks' movie superior to Pixar 10/10 Expand
  17. Dec 21, 2011
    Shrek is charming, original, beautiful and one of the funniest films I have seen on my life. And not only is it good it is great because it has so much heart. I give this movie 92%.
  18. J.B.
    Nov 7, 2002
    Oh come on people! this movie tried too hard to hit all points. How come they couldn't can't make their own damn sountrack? I mean Smashmouth?! Way to date your film. I love Mike Myers - but his "if it's not scottish -it's crap" voice over (which btw, they reprecorded after they decided they didn't like his regular vocals). And the Dr. Doolittle Eddie Murphy Oh come on people! this movie tried too hard to hit all points. How come they couldn't can't make their own damn sountrack? I mean Smashmouth?! Way to date your film. I love Mike Myers - but his "if it's not scottish -it's crap" voice over (which btw, they reprecorded after they decided they didn't like his regular vocals). And the Dr. Doolittle Eddie Murphy Donkey made me want to yak. It's as if someone in Marketing said: let's make a film that will appeal to all ages- it will be a mix of "the Princess Bride" and "broadway's Into the Woods," but 3D ANIMATED. Then we'll make it hip by adding a few pop hits, and we'll get famous voices and make everyone tell sick jokes! Then we can call Burger King and have them make green slurpees and apple jelly dip! wow. It'll be great. And all you sick weirdos out there fell for it. This green piece won't be remembered for too long, take my word for it. Really, everybody thought the marky mark Planet of the Apes was great when it came out..and look what happened to that. Expand
  19. May 31, 2011
    IT WAS GREAT AND ORIGINAL it was wonderful and funny. it was genius. its a winner for sure. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 out of 10.
  20. J.B.
    Nov 7, 2002
  21. PaulaW.
    Jun 23, 2002
    I wanted to like Shrek, but I had a hard time. Everything about this movie falls a bit flat: the animation, the dialogue, the unsteady accents, the jokes, the soundtrack, the action, the amusement value of the kicking, screaming princess voiced by Cameron Diaz. I kept falling asleep and never did get through the whole thing.
  22. Jun 30, 2011
    It is really overrated, but it is not bad. I liked the animation, and I liked the plot(somewhat). The main thing that I didn't like was the voice acting. Eddie Murphy is one the most annoying people to ever live, and that is very apparent here. Mike Meyers isn't much better, however Cameron Diaz is. I usually get bored with it when watching it, but not always. This is a movie that you haveIt is really overrated, but it is not bad. I liked the animation, and I liked the plot(somewhat). The main thing that I didn't like was the voice acting. Eddie Murphy is one the most annoying people to ever live, and that is very apparent here. Mike Meyers isn't much better, however Cameron Diaz is. I usually get bored with it when watching it, but not always. This is a movie that you have to be in the right mood to see. It is not like other, better animated movies, such as anything by Pixar. It didn't deserve the Oscar for Best Animated Film, Monster's Inc did. As a whole, it is not that funny, and only a few jokes are actually good. Mainly, those jokes don't have much to do with the leads, but with background stuff. See it if you want, but if you don't, you won't miss it. Expand
  23. Apr 1, 2013
    This film is the very definition of mediocre.
    it was funny and enjoyable, but Eddie Murphy, the Godsend, wasn't the main source of entertainment, he was blend.
    +the fact that the film was a boring at times.
  24. Nov 19, 2014
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life. Shrek is love, Shrek is life! Expand
  25. JackD.
    Dec 1, 2002
    Way overrated. The jokes are easy, lack, and lack originality.
  26. HelenC.
    Jan 7, 2002
    This movie is tops!!! It absolutly rox. I've seen it about 15 times and I'm still not bored!! Donkey is amazing!
  27. RoseC.
    Aug 16, 2002
    This movie Shrek is amazing, it's funny, i especially like the lame jokes shrek thinks are funny and the things donkey says and the way he says them, it's hilarious, i don't know how anyone could NOT like it. I really adore the relationship between Donkey and the dragon too, i'v watched it over and over again and it's brilliant!
  28. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A LOT of fun!
  29. KristenS.
    Oct 22, 2001
    I love the movie. It's just fantastic. As soon as it comes out I'm buying it.
  30. StephanieF.
    Jul 8, 2001
    The movie was hilarious. I along with my father and brother didn't stop laughing the entire movie. I laughed so hard I cried and almost wet my pants.
  31. RoxanneT.
    Aug 15, 2001
    The movie was brilliant. My 5-year-old sister and I laughed our selves silly. That video is mine.
  32. BobH.
    Aug 19, 2001
    Definitely fun, and yes, above-average, given the sad state of current film comedy, but even so, it's hard to see how one can accept the notion that this film includes a beauty-is-only-skin-deep message when a) so much of the humor is based on making fun of a bad guy for his height, and b) the love interest is only fully validated when the characters turn out to be of comparable Definitely fun, and yes, above-average, given the sad state of current film comedy, but even so, it's hard to see how one can accept the notion that this film includes a beauty-is-only-skin-deep message when a) so much of the humor is based on making fun of a bad guy for his height, and b) the love interest is only fully validated when the characters turn out to be of comparable physical beauty. I mean, it's funny as hell in places, but the movie invalidates its own message consistently. You've got to be pretty carried away by the sensation of actual laughter (now so sadly rare) at Shrek's often bathroom-level humor (now so sadly not) not to notice. Collapse
  33. DebbieP.
    Sep 4, 2001
    Excellent movie, unbelievably funny and sometimes crudely funny which the kids loved. Everyone came out of the cinema smiling. A welcome respite in the school holidays; didn't hear a peep out of the four kids we took until the end. Well worth seeing. Haven't seen anything so good since "Toy Story."
  34. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    If this movie has a down fall it is Cameron Diaz. Not her performance. Her voice. The makers of Shrek have betrayed the first rule of animation: The Voice artists must fit the design of the character. Obviously they kept her on as a name to sell the movie, but throught it There was somethink fake about her voice coming out of Fiona's mouth, which constantly reminded me that this If this movie has a down fall it is Cameron Diaz. Not her performance. Her voice. The makers of Shrek have betrayed the first rule of animation: The Voice artists must fit the design of the character. Obviously they kept her on as a name to sell the movie, but throught it There was somethink fake about her voice coming out of Fiona's mouth, which constantly reminded me that this wasn't real. And willing dispension of disbelief is imperitive with any fictional setting. Otherwise a fair movie. Expand
  35. GilbertMurloneycakesVsTheWolfman
    Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, because no other films use contemporary popular music in their soundtracks, do they? Forced sarcasm aside, this is a Great Film, almost...all..most as good as anything from Pixar. Mike Myers is good value as a Scots McOgre. You can just TELL that Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy are wearing huge grins on their faces with almost every line they deliver. And the casting of the Yeah, because no other films use contemporary popular music in their soundtracks, do they? Forced sarcasm aside, this is a Great Film, almost...all..most as good as anything from Pixar. Mike Myers is good value as a Scots McOgre. You can just TELL that Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy are wearing huge grins on their faces with almost every line they deliver. And the casting of the Ultra-Gangly John Lithgow as a tiny little shortarse is so perfect it must have been conscious. If you don't like this movie, you're probably a callous husk of a being. Expand
  36. AndyP.
    Jan 9, 2002
    Brian F. You are SOOOO right. I couldn't even watch the first half minute of it. I'd rather talk to an inatimate object than watch this movie!
  37. Engwar
    Aug 9, 2002
    Ohh yeah.
  38. MeikoL.
    Jun 8, 2003
    Some people hate this film because of the bathroom jokes. I only spotted about 2. Not a whole lot. So why complain so much about this great movie?
  39. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    PDI is no Pixar, and this film is no Monsters, Inc. , but it has feirce originality, good animation, and a good plot. That is SO hard to find in animation nowadays, not to mention hilarity, which with this film is infectious.
  40. TomM.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Pure class.
  41. TerenceM.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Clever, funny, fast-moving ... it mocks Walt Disney wonderfully and sets new standards for family movies.
  42. BillyBobJo
    Nov 10, 2001
    Yessirree, this was a sahweeeeeeet moviieeeee! Sohweeee!
  43. ColeL.
    Nov 18, 2001
    One of the best animated movies of the decade. This is such a great film for all ages. The humor is great and it has a great story!
  44. RyanM.
    Nov 4, 2001
    The best animated movie in twenty years. Period. It's worth comparing to films like "Beauty And The Beast" and "Fantasia."
  45. SeanC.
    Nov 5, 2001
    A funny, but overrated, film.
  46. StevieC.
    Dec 30, 2001
    Great humour for adults and yet my 3 yr. old loved it to bits.
  47. VeronicaG.
    Dec 4, 2001
    I think the movie Shrek is great and very funny. I could watch it forever!!!
  48. LizardK.
    Jul 18, 2001
    Fun for both kids and adults!! A must see.
  49. RayalsK.
    Aug 23, 2001
    The gingerbread man... the gingerbread man... see the movie, love gingerbread... shrek pulled at your heart just the right amount, and smacked your funny bone hard!! This is a great movie for adults then teens.. warning: not so much for the young ones...you need background knowledge to understand the sharp humour =) c ya r.
  50. GaryR.
    Aug 26, 2001
    Great animation, funny lines and it moves along quite well...good for kids and adults.
  51. AndrewC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Funny.
  52. JackH.
    May 2, 2002
    My mouth was open and everything! Best line in a movie ever.
  53. ConorS.
    Aug 5, 2002
    Almost too funny.
  54. Skrekfreak
    Jan 11, 2003
    It is so funny! It inspired me, thrilled me! It is truly an exhilarating film! Brilliant!
  55. K.L.
    May 17, 2003
    Hilarious. It's like an animated-version of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" mixed with "Robin Hood: Man in Tights"! Masterpiece.
  56. VikramM.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Shrek was okay. Not great, but good enough. I have to say it was not like SOME movies where it is a waste of an hour and a half of your life! I have to admit that the bathroom jokes were getting old, but there are some stuff in there that was funny. Mike Myers' job out of ten I would say a seven, not horrible like in Cat in the Hat, but pretty good. Once again, it was good not great.
  57. EmilyD.
    May 13, 2004
    GREAT i've watched it over and over and still enjoy every bit.
  58. GordoA.
    May 8, 2004
    Shrek is one of the best family movies ever. It is clever and funny. You would want to see this movie over and over.
  59. Sam
    Sep 27, 2004
    It has a gorgeous look to it, and the first half is hilarious, half number 2 is lacking in humor. Great first half, but a lacking second half.
  60. ElizabethN.
    Jan 27, 2005
    I think that this movie was a great movie, i really enjoyed it. and so does my son. the bright colors and music, all the action is all so sweet.
  61. KimL.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Great movie ! Lot of techniques used to convey the mock on the fairytale genre!
  62. G.M.D.K.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Funny movie, but highly, highly overrated!
  63. danielg.
    May 12, 2006
    I thought it the movie had a great combinatino of kid and adult humor with shrek for the adult humour and donkey for the children humour....very nicely done.
  64. JaredB.
    Jan 26, 2007
    How refreshing to see a kids' movie that is also fun for adults. I was 21 when this film came out, and I laughed out loud on several occasions. The voice casting was right on. This is a funny, great-looking film.
  65. BrianK
    Aug 30, 2007
    Shrek isn't the least bit sophisticated or thought provoking, but it is filled with nonstop laughs and a little bit of action. It seems like a good film for adults and children alike.
  66. CarlosE.
    Nov 5, 2001
    This is a most excellent movie. It is very entertaining, the computer graphics are awesome, especially the details. My kids loved, my wife (who is very picky) loved it, I loved it.
  67. DeeK.
    Dec 26, 2001
    Bathroom jokes are sooo bore - ing. I was turned off so early in the movie I could not even laugh when a real joke was played.
  68. CrystalM.
    Aug 13, 2001
    I enjoyed it a lot! I thought it was pretty funny for a cartoon. I recommend it to people of all ages.
  69. RayalsK.
    Aug 23, 2001
  70. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I like this movie the more I hear about it and see it. Boy was I impressed! I mean, from the very start of this film you are giggling and at the end you would?ve bust a gut laughing. The comedy is all jolly, wicked and brilliant, but the romance is also something to be treasured. Even though these are just animated characters, they are the most realistic people-like creatures. The romance I like this movie the more I hear about it and see it. Boy was I impressed! I mean, from the very start of this film you are giggling and at the end you would?ve bust a gut laughing. The comedy is all jolly, wicked and brilliant, but the romance is also something to be treasured. Even though these are just animated characters, they are the most realistic people-like creatures. The romance story is amazingly subtle and is one of the best things about this movie. Kudos to Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow too for voicing these full-bodied characters. Eddie is a hilarious fast-talker, Mike?s Scottish accent rarely slips, and Cameron?s true-love-obsessed Princess Fiona is a treat for her and John just seems to be a very talented voice. Of course I could not go through this review without mentioning the outstanding visual value in which this film beholds. The characters all look incredibly life-like, the sets are stunning, the cinematography is beautiful and the CGI-style will never fail. Hats off to the bunch of directors who deserve more praise than they get. Directors are often over-looked in animated films but the directors behind Shrek do marvelously and hopefully people will take more notice. But, at the end of the day, Shrek?s script is its top spot. The script is crude, hilarious, clever, poignant, energetic, inventive and romantic. Shrek is a pitch-perfect good time at the flicks. An animated masterpiece, one of the best of its kind. Expand
  71. MichelleP.
    Oct 11, 2002
    This movie was OUTSTANDING! The jokes make you laugh so hard you have tears in your eyes, the animation is so real you can't believe it actually IS animation. For those of you who gave it a 6 or lower, well, you've got some bad tastes, my friend. I mean, if you're a midget, I can see where you'd give it a 6 or lower (Shrek and Donkey crack jokes about midgets during This movie was OUTSTANDING! The jokes make you laugh so hard you have tears in your eyes, the animation is so real you can't believe it actually IS animation. For those of you who gave it a 6 or lower, well, you've got some bad tastes, my friend. I mean, if you're a midget, I can see where you'd give it a 6 or lower (Shrek and Donkey crack jokes about midgets during the movie.) But if you aren't a midget, tsk, tsk... Expand
  72. RedversK.
    Dec 18, 2002
    Not as good as Monsters Inc but very nearly...so get both. What is Jack D on about btw? The jokes lack AND lack originality? Shock horra.
  73. Stick
    Dec 23, 2002
    Shrek is fast becoming one of my all time favorite animated movies. No other film can match its graphics. The story line is superb, however, there were a few one-liners that had children repeating things like "Eat Me". All-in-all... a great movie.
  74. JaRule
    Mar 29, 2002
    It was great and i know that yall who watched and rated it 10 out of 10 would be 'LIVIN IT UP' because you're all REAL so see if u can buy my new album called pain is love now.
  75. PatC.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Such an enjoyable movie for both adults & children. Breaks new ground to demonstrate the diversity of animation while being clever and funny. This movie will be a favorite for a long long time. I downgrade to a 9 because, let's admit it, fairy tale characters have stereotypical limits when forced to perform in a formula ending for simple-minded romantics.
  76. ShrekFan
    May 18, 2003
    One of the best and utterly delightful movies of 2001. The wild characters and hilarious situations they encounter really made me love it. The animation is top-notch and the script is clever and wonderfully imaginative. But I don't know if it's better than Monsters, Inc. They're BOTH wonderful!
  77. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    Just brilliant. Superbly written, with so much depth and multiple "layers" (Onion-boy!) it stands up to countless reruns, somehow managing to offer something new each time! Every facet of this film has been expertly though-out and treated with care, from the voice talent, to the music, to the character design, to the CGI. It's the complete experience, and one that will win over Just brilliant. Superbly written, with so much depth and multiple "layers" (Onion-boy!) it stands up to countless reruns, somehow managing to offer something new each time! Every facet of this film has been expertly though-out and treated with care, from the voice talent, to the music, to the character design, to the CGI. It's the complete experience, and one that will win over people of all ages. Don't miss it! Expand
  78. ChrisK.
    May 31, 2006
    Nicely done Dreamworks! This movie has an excellent taste in humor as well as giving some life lessons on what's really beautiful and what's not. I believe many folks of all ages will love this movie.
  79. KathleenS.
    Nov 15, 2001
    Resorts to too-easy bathroom jokes. Simple plot inflated and padded with irrelevant digs at Disney (Katzenburg is milking bitterness for all its worth) and fairy tale conventions. Hit a formula and took the easy way out. With more inventiveness and creativity, could have been great. Background characters all seemed to have the same body type, like Rockettes. But Murray was funny and Myers Resorts to too-easy bathroom jokes. Simple plot inflated and padded with irrelevant digs at Disney (Katzenburg is milking bitterness for all its worth) and fairy tale conventions. Hit a formula and took the easy way out. With more inventiveness and creativity, could have been great. Background characters all seemed to have the same body type, like Rockettes. But Murray was funny and Myers was touching. Expand
  80. JohnV.
    Nov 25, 2001
    This movie is great! Eddie & Mike & Carmon are great together! Please make a sequel!
  81. TimM.
    Dec 22, 2001
    I am 16 years old. This is the funniest move I have ever seen and if somebody doesn't like this movie they either think they are the sh*t or they are drunk. Ths muffin man part is the funniest clip I have ever seen in a movie.
  82. ButteredPopcorn
    Nov 29, 2003
    I liked it. Funny, very much original, great soundtrack. Characters are appealing and bounce of each other well. Ths movie appealed more to my wife and I than it did to our 3 year old. A lot of sly grownup humor through-out.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I like this and Shrek 2 about the same. Comedy is funny but not TOO over the top. First time I saw it I was on a plane to Taiwan to visit my relatives, and I was instantly hooked.
  84. Jun 5, 2013
    While Shrek may not make laugh anymore still has lots of things to keep my interest. I like the characters and their relationship. The film starizes fairy tales, Disney films in particular, taking a story that has been done to death and doing something new with it. Top that off with some nice animation and music and you have a strong film. If you have not seen this film yet check it outWhile Shrek may not make laugh anymore still has lots of things to keep my interest. I like the characters and their relationship. The film starizes fairy tales, Disney films in particular, taking a story that has been done to death and doing something new with it. Top that off with some nice animation and music and you have a strong film. If you have not seen this film yet check it out all the stuff I mentioned plus the humor make for enjoyable film that you will be glad you saw. There is a reason why this film spawned three sequels and a spin off. Shrek is one of Dreamworks’ finest.

Final Score: 75/100
  85. Oct 6, 2010
    While I like the movie, I think it's overrated. It wasn't until Shrek 2 that I really became a Shrek fan, becuase I think the first sequel (not Shrek 3) is much, much funnier.
  86. Oct 4, 2010
    Shrek is one of those amazing films which has enough wit and depth to please both a younger and older audience. It was Dreamwork's first big hit, and still remains their best. The animation is stunning, the humour consistent and hilarious and the story highly original. The whole concept of fairytale creatures as one body no longer being accepted in society is very creative. If you add aShrek is one of those amazing films which has enough wit and depth to please both a younger and older audience. It was Dreamwork's first big hit, and still remains their best. The animation is stunning, the humour consistent and hilarious and the story highly original. The whole concept of fairytale creatures as one body no longer being accepted in society is very creative. If you add a dragon, a tough ogre, a mad donkey, a karate princess and a very 'short' King to this, you've got the ultimate animated film. 'Shrek' is the ultimate family movie, and is sure to please kids and their parents. Expand
  87. Apr 30, 2011
    The movie was alright. It's funny enough and it's watchable. The best thing was Eddie Murphy who was fantastic in the movie.
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    Even on repeated viewings, Shrek doesn't lose its appeal. It's just as funny, creative and entertaining as it ever was, and though more recent animated films have surpassed it in terms of quality of animation, it still looks good, and you have to wonder whether animation technology would have developed at the rate it has without this film. The voice cast are perfect - Mike Myers and EddieEven on repeated viewings, Shrek doesn't lose its appeal. It's just as funny, creative and entertaining as it ever was, and though more recent animated films have surpassed it in terms of quality of animation, it still looks good, and you have to wonder whether animation technology would have developed at the rate it has without this film. The voice cast are perfect - Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy as Shrek and Donkey put in their very best comic performances, and make the buddy movie element of the film work, Cameron Diaz's Fiona quite literally kicks the traditional fairytale idea of a damsel in distress in the face, and John Lithgow's Lord Farquaad is a brilliantly pantomime villain. Where Shrek really stands out in in expertise in the fine comedy art of parody. You can quite literally tick off the fairytales and films Shrek affectionately pokes fun at, and the film also has some quite astute things to say about commercialisation, celebrity and the modern media-centric world. Add to this the film's stonking soundtrack and a soft, gooey moral message, and it becomes an extremely fulfilling entertainment extravaganza for all. As fantastic as Shrek is, Andrew Adamson and co. would show the world they'd seen nothing yet in the sequel... Expand
  89. Dec 24, 2011
    The satyric aspect of the story is one of the reasons why "Shrek" is so refreshing, riveting and loved by so many people. Definitely, it is Dreamworks greatest masterpiece and one of my all time favorite animations.
  90. Nov 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shrek has a great story about friendship and love. Shrek is an ogre who has no friends, due to his appearance, but when a greedy king to be known as Lord Farquaad forces other fairy tale creatures to live in Shrek's swamp, Shrek must go on a quest to rescue Princess Fiona from a castle with a dangerous dragon. Expand
  91. May 2, 2012
    Easily one of the best animated films I have ever seen. The cast is amazing. The movie is hilarious and good from start to finish. It's rare for me to enjoy an animated film as much as I did but this one is definently one of the best I have seen.
  92. Feb 11, 2012
    It is so funny and interesting and it is a piece of a godgest work ! "Shrek" is the best, and the last, masterpiece that Dreamworks animation created. It has a powerful force that appeals greatly to the audience, a power comparable to those of Pixar's.
  93. Jun 9, 2013
    Very funny, lively, and charming. It manages to appeal to a wide range of people, which is why it comes off as one of the better animation movies in the last decade.
  94. Jul 28, 2013
    A great and funny animated film for all ages! You gotta love the story and how it plays with classic children's stories and nursery rhymes. Unique and interesting and an animated classic!
  95. Dec 22, 2012
    A motion picture phonomenom Enchantingly irreverrent. An OGER sized adventure
  96. Jan 6, 2014
    Uma das animações mais originais da década de 2000.
  97. Dec 17, 2013
    When it came out, I honestly didn't think too much of it. The character were OK, the story was a little unique yet also a little cliched at the same time. But what really does make the first Shrek movie are the performances. Myers, Murphy, Lithgow and Diaz are just fantastic and really add powerful energy to an otherwise dull film with that's a perhaps a bit too kid friendly for its ownWhen it came out, I honestly didn't think too much of it. The character were OK, the story was a little unique yet also a little cliched at the same time. But what really does make the first Shrek movie are the performances. Myers, Murphy, Lithgow and Diaz are just fantastic and really add powerful energy to an otherwise dull film with that's a perhaps a bit too kid friendly for its own good.

Overall:
    Shrek was allot of fun but also a little raw and uninspired. Luckily the cast really save the day and make this movie worth watching to the end.
  98. Mar 13, 2013
    Animation classic, DreamWorks's biggest hit Shrek! Probably one of the greatest animation's of 21th century yet! The Story is great and the adventure is awesome! You should definitely watch this if you didn't. My score 7/10
  99. Mar 24, 2013
    I enjoyed it, but it was kinda OK. I'm kinda giving it a mixed bag. And yes, you are not going to believe it, but I actually prefer all of the other 3 films over this film, they have better animation (well of course), better jokes and a better plot.
  100. Jul 4, 2013
    "Shrek" is laugh out loud hilarious, and deals with the odds of his ugly appearance well, and in my opinion a great film. Why not give it a 10, you ask me? Well, here's why.
    "Shrek" involves a wonderful twist in comedy on fairy tales, and does it quite well in a way. The animation is beautiful, and strikes as a nice setting in a fairy tale. "Shrek" does backlash at Disney, and doesn't get hurt in the process, as it is truly hilarious to watch. Yet, Shrek's humor and characters do fall a little short after a while, and it is realized that comedy can only take you so far. When comparing "Shrek" to its competitor at the Oscars, "Monsters Inc.", I was really disappointed it won, due to the qualities that "Monsters Inc." posseses that "Shrek" doesn't. While "Monsters Inc." mixes alot of humor, setting, and heart into its storytelling, "Shrek" puts alot of emphasis on humor than setting and heart. Yes, "Shrek" does have the ugly thing going for it, but it's put against to much humor to even tell it. "Shrek" may have been special for an animated film back then, because of its humor, but now, heart is what is really major in storytelling.
    While this review may seem negative, it's not. "Shrek" is hilarious if anything, and you will probably be laughing your socks off from Eddie Murphey's Donkey.

1. Desperately avoiding the risk of even a half-second of boredom, the movie is wall-to-window-to-door noise, babbling, and jokes.
    It's wondrous, it's fabulous, it's -- all but unprecedented.
  3. As innocent as a Disney movie -- and a lot more entertaining.