Shrink

5.5

1. Nov 8, 2010
    This whole movie wreaked of a commercial Hollywood production poorly disguised as an indie film.

"Shrink" was just trying too hard to be numb, just trying to hard to make us sentimental. I actually cringed at like 6 or 7 lines of dialogue. Kevin Spacey was great, but he was the only good one. It was all too coincidental, all too "Crash", all too corny. The subplots all were awful, except for maybe Spacey's. I have no idea what to take away from the movie, other than life sucks, "But we're still here, and that's somethin'." Dallas Roberts' character was also pretty interesting, but ultimately his resolution was entirely unsatisfactory, and essentially a break in character on the part of the writers. The writers seemed possessed to force/cram every character into a character that's good at heart.

1. You do wish Pate and writer Thomas Moffett had gone for more wit given the outlandishness of the melodrama since it would be more fun to laugh at this than take it seriously.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    The film may be too inside-baseball, with strained sympathy and contrived emotions.
    Pate's eye isn't bad, but Thomas Moffett's screenplay is self-serious piffle.