7.6

1. Sep 14, 2010
    I'll keep it short. This film is one of the best films I have seen recently. So intense, thrilling and it keeps you to the edge of your seat. From prologue to the epilogue it's so perfect. What can you expect more from a director of his caliber.!!!!!
  2. Dec 15, 2010
    One of the most beautiful movies that I have seen. Di Caprio is fantastic in his interpretation, and the plot is very interesting, since at the end...
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    It was great movie, filled with a spectacular cast with spotless perfomances, great production values and a beautiful visual style courtesy of director Martin Scorsese. It has a slow pace, but the mystery of the plot is well worth the wait. Not every will enjoy it, but that's the beauty of it. It's an acquired taste. And thankfully, the taste was delicious. A 9.25/10
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    Set in the 1950's, two interesting stories that unfold while DiCaprio giving an excellent performance on Shutter Island, which is a mental "institution" that has you questioning from the opening credits. Although the movie can get confusing, even though it's story is told really well. Director Martin Scorsese will take you on an epic mystery that you won't forget for a long, long time.
  5. Aug 11, 2010
    "The Departed" it is not, but Martin Scorsese's 'Shutter Island' is a complex film that demands the viewer's utmost attention, and is all the more rewarding because of it.
  6. Sep 21, 2010
    If you were to say that this movie was a major twist, or it was DiCaprio's most frightening picture, I would say that they are spot on. A perfect, sensible ending that makes everything change completely to the way I thought it would've ended. With a wondrous mystery to solve, answered, ONLY if you pay attention. Now, I only sometimes give spoilers, but I will not, would not, could not, should not, give away any important feature to this movie. Yeah, a little long- 2:15 or so, but if you start this early, turn up that volume, and put on the closed captioning, and you're a fan of horror/ suspenseful movies, and Leonardo DiCaprio, I would recommend this movie to you. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2010
    The movie is amazing. Put together DiCaprio's perfect acting with Scorsese's incredible directing, and then throw in a breathtaking, intelligent, complex story and you have Shutter Island. One of the best movies this year, if not the very best.
  8. Oct 9, 2010
    This movie is what made me a moviegoer. I love this movie, beginning to end, brilliant, and that twist, oh my god, did not see that coming. Creepy, intriguing, and Smart. I love it
  9. Oct 14, 2010
    Simply amazing. If you have read the book, you will see that the movie is a near-perfect replication, so fans of Lehane's work will love this. If you don't already know, the story is that of two U.S. Marshals, Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule, as they head to the Ashecliff Hospital for the Mentally Insane to search for a prisoner who has vanished into thin air. Throughout the story, Daniels and Aule are warned and told to leave, and are told of highly-illegal, experimental surgeries that take place at the lighthouse on the island. After a devastating hurricane hits the island, more and more answers come and you'll be able to start piecing together the twisted story. But the twist ending will have you on the edge of your seat, as it will make you re-look at the entire story again to realize the real truth. This is truly one of DiCaprio's best works, as he captures the essence of Teddy Daniels and his rapidly-deteriorating state of mind. If you like mystery movies, are looking for a film with some action, or seek a flick with a good back-story to it, this movie is for you. Expand
  10. May 8, 2011
    This movie is just plain GOOD. Simple. Let me also be the one to say that these other people who are giving bad reviews, well they mostly do not have a good IQ or any knowledge of psychology. These people were probably just hoping for a scary movie. Because after the trailer, I was expecting the same. But I still enjoyed the movie even though I didn't get scared at all (because it's not a scary movie) is because I am a college student with a good IQ and understand of psychology and how the brain works. I also know what psychologists do and how they used to treat patients in the old days (hence why the setting is 1954 and not now). You don't even need to KNOW anything about psychology to appreciate this movie. Just a simple curiosity of how the brain works is a good start. I love action movies and scary movies but I also like INTELLIGENT movies and that's what this is. Those of you who say you saw the twist coming, I say bullcrap. Maybe some of y'all did but the twist doesn't take place until there is like 20 or less minutes left in the movie and the whole first half doesn't leave any clues as to what is coming. If you are an intelligent person or a curious person to how we humans function and our mind works, this is a GREAT movie. Great acting and great plot. I love psychology or most of it atleast and like I said, I am a college student who enjoys intelligent movies and not just the ones where there is plenty of violence, comedy, and sex. So those of you who gave it bad reviews, I'm sorry I have to say it but y'all are probably just dumb kids or dumb people in general who don't have a clue how you even function as a human being. Watch the movie and tell me if I'm wrong. Expand
  11. Jan 28, 2011
    There's no accounting for taste, of course, but, in my book Shutter Island is one of the best movies of the last decade. DiCaprio is sensational; deserved an Oscar nomination. The rest of the cast, especially Kingsley, Ruffalo and Sydow, are magnificent. Affects moviegoers, I'd think, in much the same way a Lynch or a **** or a Bunuel movie might. Haunting, shattering, unique. This is bravura moviemaking. Don't believe the H8. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2011
    When all is said and done in M.S. career I believe this will go down as one of his more daring ventures. And isn't that what art is about? New expression to ones self? I'm not saying this is a ground breaking film, just that it pushes the style of a vision. It just so happens that this vision is through the eyes of m.s.. The story is strong enough to compel you to the end of the journey. And the acting is more than satisfactory in all cases. The weakest portion of the entry is probably the dialogue. Some of the lesser characters just seem to deliver the line and exit stage left. Which don't help the film but don't necessarily hurt it either. In the end though it is the direction and attention to detail of not just the setting, pacing, acting, or genre but style brought to all of the above. Watch it again and again then tell me I'm wrong. Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2011
    this movie is a masterpiece, is one of the few movies after "fight club" that made me thing afterwards. its not a movie for everyone, a lot of people search for something Entertaining and simple that they could watch with they`re family and sleep after that. this is a movie for people that like intense thrilling movies. if you just want to see a funny entertaining movie stay far away from this.
  14. Nov 5, 2011
    I personally thought this movie was great. It had great performances and a very interesting, complex, intense and thought-provoking story. It's good that Martin Scorsese is branching out of his typical crime drama films and tapping more into movies of different genres. 4/4 stars.
  15. Dec 12, 2011
    This is one of the films which not everyone can understand. If you are one of those who can, then it is perfect for you. Not the ending , but looking after the main character is very interesting - how he evolves or degrades (up to you to decide).....
  16. Apr 8, 2013
    It's a nice change but also a concerning knock on the head when a film comes along and truly makes you question your entire beliefs and capabilities of an aspiring filmmaker, whether it be storytelling, editing or simply character development, all these factors are of upmost importance.
    But when Martin Scorsese comes along and absolutely turns everything on its head with Shutter Island,
    it always makes you question if you are able to tease, surprise and entertain the audience, something this film does over and over again with merit.
    Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Teddy Daniels, a US Marshal who, along with his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) are sent to the island in question, which is the base for a mental institution for the most dangerous criminally insane patients in the US.
    They are sent due to the mysterious disappearance of a patient, but upon their arrival everything is not as it seems, the island is very military looking and the leading psychiatrist at the hospital, Dr Cawley (Ben Kingsley) seems very reluctant and shady when the marshals seek help in their investigation.
    Teddy, meanwhile, is having visions of when he was a soldier during the Dachau liberation.
    But as the film progresses, we realise that Teddy may have other reasons for taking the case, but his mind and his past soon unravel and is noticed by everyone surrounding him, which slowly eats away at his deteriorating confidence within the confines of the island.
    Shutter Island puts the viewer firmly in the drivers seat, it has been perfectly filmed and edited with purposeful continuity errors so as the viewer can determine what exactly is going on, because the ending of this remarkable film will leave you shocked and confused, but will also leave you with having a lengthy debate with your friends as to what exactly was happening.
    Each character is pivotal to the film and they play their part well, we aren't always sure whose side exactly they are on and we are never quite sure what exactly is going on, but this makes for an excellent thriller and one of the most thought provoking films in a while.
    There are plenty of names floating around in this film that may leave you a little seasick, but it is truly magical the work that has been done, and you would be hard-pressed to find a film that truly digs into what you believe to be fact, and who you believe to be truthful.
    Fantastic, thrilling and cleverly constructed work, another bright Scorsese moment.
  17. Mar 3, 2014
    I Was skeptical going into it, but my skepticism soon fled me as I enjoyed every minute of this movie! It is a thriller for sure. The only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 from me is that I saw the twist coming. Terrific film. Leonardo deserved an Oscar for this.
  18. Jun 7, 2012
    If thrillers are your thing ,watching this is logical. Martin Scorsese directed this so this should be on your watch list anyway. DiCaprio plays U.S. Marshal Edward Daniels, and his performance delivers. The supporting cast also does a great job. The script play is amazing.It is a bit boring the first 40 minutes, but it gets really good.
  19. Mar 3, 2012
    This film offers suspense, mystery and altogether an exasperating experience. DiCaprio's performance is among his greatest and Scorsese certainly delivers. The plot of this film offers an incredible twist that is comparable to that of Fight Club or Sixth Sense. Definitely worth watching!
  20. Dec 23, 2012
    Shutter Island is an emotional juggernaut that is a long, winding and twisted road that leads to the aftertaste that tickles all the areas of your tongue. Martin Scorcese exhibits his directing mastery as he delivers a shockingly powerful film that is so thought-provoking, it will leave you dazed after hearing the last sentence that changes it all. DiCaprio delivers an incredulously electrifying performance - and coupled with the clashing chords of the score and the raw power of the conceptions portrayed, this film is an utter jaw-dropper. Expand
  21. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie is wonderful and outstanding! The plot is overall great and intresting. I was glued to the screen most of the movie. It was so intense and thrilling... The tension and mystery that I think the movie created made me want to keep on watching. It's one of those mystery stories that you know from the beggining that there's going to be a twist at the end but you don't know what it is yet. I love it because it keeps you on the edge through the movie. As the movie near the end you already have a clue of what is going to happen but it still shocks you when you find out. The amazing performances from Di caprio and Kingsley also made this movie great. I loved how my feelings changed according to the main character feelings. The plot is through his prespective and what he was feeling created what I felt during the movie. When he was close to un cover the truth I was anxious and scared just like him. I highly recommand this movie. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    I rather enjoyed this psychological thriller by none other than Martin Scorsese. Leonardo Di Caprio, Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsly are fantastic throughout and upon repeat viewings, the audience will notice that the perspective of the film changes. It is a highly intelligent, well prepared film that deserves the highest of accolades.
  23. Oct 30, 2012
    This film is awesome! I love Leonardo Di Caprio! and this is deffo his best movie! One of my favorite movies of all time and great twist at the end. !!!
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Scorsese evokes black magic in the mind-rattling and unforgettable Shutter Island, a film filled to the brim with dark wonder and secrets buried many layers deep. You will want to see it again immediately after your first viewing.
  25. Apr 28, 2013
    i love this film. its one of those films you can watch over and over and you'll not get bored of it, you will also find new things every time as well. there are a few continuity errors, but whatever. its a shame this film fell under the success of inception in its genre, because its a modern classic. everyone fulfills their role perfectly and contribute to the atmosphere that scorsese aimed to create. the end leaves you questioning what happened next, and whether you understood i properly, like TDKR. This film keeps you interested all the way through, the ending is hinted at, but its not obvious. splendid film! Expand
  26. May 15, 2013
    A nearly perfect movie.Everyone who says its bad is not stupid but has possibly not understand it.
    It has a perfect twist at the end.Leonardo DiCaprio is a stunning actor and he plays an amazing part.
    I also like the bad feeling the movie gives you.Scorsese created powerful dialogs which force you to think about them.
    A 9 from ten only because its sometimes hard to follow and there are
    smaller logical mistakes. Expand
  27. Jun 5, 2013
    if you dont score this movie more than a 9 either you dont get it or you dont know good movies this movie has the best twist ever and the ending you better 2nd think that when you watch the movie that means to watch the movie right now because you will be like wow i need to watch that again like i was and now i have watched it like 7 times and im still thinking about the ending you get it when you watch it Expand

1. The ending is powerful..., but Shutter Island is a long slog.
  2. It's a pleasure to experience Scorsese as a circus master. One just hopes he doesn't continue in this vein.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Even when it's clear Scorsese has decided to employ fakery and allow it to be obvious, it's done with elegance and beauty.