7.6

1. Apr 10, 2014
    Shutter island is definitely not one of the best Scorses's movies.There is an interesting story and good actors but the result is not as good as i wanted.The acting was excellent but sometimes we lose ourself in the story.Shutter island is a weird movie starring a good cast and good story but Scorsese
    doesn't control the result.
  2. Mar 3, 2014
    I Was skeptical going into it, but my skepticism soon fled me as I enjoyed every minute of this movie! It is a thriller for sure. The only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 from me is that I saw the twist coming. Terrific film. Leonardo deserved an Oscar for this.
  3. Feb 14, 2014
    Scorsese creates a great mystery in cinema based on the novel that will not only keep you watching, but thinking as well. Thinking a lot. Enough that you must watch it until the end to understand it all.
  4. Dec 24, 2013
    A predictable but nevertheless well-directed delusional thriller. The suspense could've been better and sometimes it was difficult to follow what was real and what was fake; but I guess that's a good thing because it keeps you guessing. It's not particularly scary or insanely intense, but is good nevertheless.
  5. Dec 22, 2013
    The acting is brilliant and the mystery is brilliantly constructed and shrouded in a plot so full of secrecy and red herrings despite some scenes being choppily edited. Multiple viewings are required for this movie.
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    What was all the fuss about? The story was perfectly understandable. And yes movie was really good, a very well crafted mystery. I hope they make more movies like this
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    for me this is the worst movie made by martin scorsese and possibly the unic not good movie made by him it was an terrible disapointment for me see this.
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    Shutter Island is a captivating movie, with an great intensity and shocking final twist. The cast and the acting are also superior, first off all Leonardo DiCaprios performance.
  9. Nov 15, 2013
    An infuriating movie. One which uses expert direction to tell a story with no solid ground. It's weird and twisty and atmospheric but never in any way which is remotely good. It will keep you guessing, sure, but it pulls such a non-ending, such a copout that you could never really be sure to what exactly just happened. Other movies have pulled off the ambiguous ending without it becoming a copout, but this one doesn't know how. Inception did it. In fact it did it in a way which was significant and beautiful, but Shutter Island is just a loopy trip into insanity which goes nowhere truly scary but everywhere and anywhere disturbing just to put a bad taste in your mouth when it's over. Do yourself a favor and avoid this expensive piece of garbage. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    Shutter Island is a mysterious and atmospheric horror-flick with a fantastic central performance from Leonardo DeCaprio. The finale is as emotional as things come and is truly unforgettable. Excellent stuff from Scorsese.
  11. Sep 19, 2013
    Shutter Island grows creepier and creepier as the movie progresses and by the end, when the entire movie's purpose is revealed, your left to wonder how all these events unfolded, and now you're just as dumbfounded and in denial as DiCaprio's character is. Scorcese is just a pure genius of filmmaking.
  12. Sep 6, 2013
    A movie that starts off good, giving the viewer a sense of dread and terror. Once the movie has got a hold of you, it doesn't let go... UNTIL the second part. I'm sorry to say that it just drags throughout the second part of the movie and I personally lost all interest in the movie. But since the first part of Shutter Island is great and the fact that the actors all contribute with solid acting, it's still a movie worth watching. Expand
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    A well done creepy thriller of 2 U.S. Marshals investigating an escaped patient on a mental aslyum island, full of twists and turns and suspense, well done.
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    This film sees a different side of Martin Scorsese with this suspenseful and eerie thriller. The way in which DiCaprio's character's emotions change throughout this film is totally unexpected. It may not be Scorsese's best film and the ending could disappoint, but an all-round great!
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    It's a pretty solid film. Some of the scenes in it are absolutely beautifully shot in terms of color and atmosphere, and the film is tinged with a creepy surrealism that keeps you on your toes as a viewer. The hospital and island are really a dreadful place! DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors, Ben Kingsley is his usual awesome self... The plot left some people a little cold because I think they were expecting something else. Watch it for its surrealism if nothing else. Not many "mainstream" movies capture Creepy Wonderland like this one does. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    if you dont score this movie more than a 9 either you dont get it or you dont know good movies this movie has the best twist ever and the ending you better 2nd think that when you watch the movie that means to watch the movie right now because you will be like wow i need to watch that again like i was and now i have watched it like 7 times and im still thinking about the ending you get it when you watch it Expand
  17. May 15, 2013
    A nearly perfect movie.Everyone who says its bad is not stupid but has possibly not understand it.
    It has a perfect twist at the end.Leonardo DiCaprio is a stunning actor and he plays an amazing part.
    I also like the bad feeling the movie gives you.Scorsese created powerful dialogs which force you to think about them.
    A 9 from ten only because its sometimes hard to follow and there are
    smaller logical mistakes. Expand
  18. May 10, 2013
    "Shutter Island" combines an interresting story with mindbending moments, but its regular dull acting, failed moments of horror and overly dramatic soundtrack keep it from becoming the masterpiece it should have been.
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    i love this film. its one of those films you can watch over and over and you'll not get bored of it, you will also find new things every time as well. there are a few continuity errors, but whatever. its a shame this film fell under the success of inception in its genre, because its a modern classic. everyone fulfills their role perfectly and contribute to the atmosphere that scorsese aimed to create. the end leaves you questioning what happened next, and whether you understood i properly, like TDKR. This film keeps you interested all the way through, the ending is hinted at, but its not obvious. splendid film! Expand
  20. Apr 21, 2013
    Weird movie that absolutely takes you through twists and turns throughout. Overall, it's an extremely thought provoking film and lives up to the billing of being a "psychological thriller".
  21. Apr 8, 2013
    It's a nice change but also a concerning knock on the head when a film comes along and truly makes you question your entire beliefs and capabilities of an aspiring filmmaker, whether it be storytelling, editing or simply character development, all these factors are of upmost importance.
    But when Martin Scorsese comes along and absolutely turns everything on its head with Shutter Island,
    it always makes you question if you are able to tease, surprise and entertain the audience, something this film does over and over again with merit.
    Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Teddy Daniels, a US Marshal who, along with his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) are sent to the island in question, which is the base for a mental institution for the most dangerous criminally insane patients in the US.
    They are sent due to the mysterious disappearance of a patient, but upon their arrival everything is not as it seems, the island is very military looking and the leading psychiatrist at the hospital, Dr Cawley (Ben Kingsley) seems very reluctant and shady when the marshals seek help in their investigation.
    Teddy, meanwhile, is having visions of when he was a soldier during the Dachau liberation.
    But as the film progresses, we realise that Teddy may have other reasons for taking the case, but his mind and his past soon unravel and is noticed by everyone surrounding him, which slowly eats away at his deteriorating confidence within the confines of the island.
    Shutter Island puts the viewer firmly in the drivers seat, it has been perfectly filmed and edited with purposeful continuity errors so as the viewer can determine what exactly is going on, because the ending of this remarkable film will leave you shocked and confused, but will also leave you with having a lengthy debate with your friends as to what exactly was happening.
    Each character is pivotal to the film and they play their part well, we aren't always sure whose side exactly they are on and we are never quite sure what exactly is going on, but this makes for an excellent thriller and one of the most thought provoking films in a while.
    There are plenty of names floating around in this film that may leave you a little seasick, but it is truly magical the work that has been done, and you would be hard-pressed to find a film that truly digs into what you believe to be fact, and who you believe to be truthful.
    Fantastic, thrilling and cleverly constructed work, another bright Scorsese moment.
  22. Feb 23, 2013
    "Is it better to live as a monster or to die as a good man?" That is the last line in this mind bending thriller from Martin Scorsese. It perfectly describes this film, which I can honestly say is one of the smartest and most savvy films I have ever seen. Leonardo DiCaprio gives his best performance to date. I've seen a lot of DiCaprio, since Titanic, we all have, and this is by far the best he's ever been. How he didn't win an Academy Award for this role is beyond me! The story is very strong and very smart. It's evident that they took their time with this one, in order to get every detail right. The ending is of course the best part. It leaves you scratching your head, going over everything you've just seen and keeps you thinking for hours. No matter how many times you see this movie, you'll always pick up on something new, each and every time. It was an amazing movie and I can't recommend it enough! Expand
  23. Jan 21, 2013
    Fantastic movie. No, it´s not very original and yes, by the middle of the film you expect what´s coming more or less. But the gorgeous use of visuals, that atmosphere and the captivating performances compensate it. Leonardo Dicaprio gives us what I think is one of his two best performances in a film along with Clint Eastwood´s "J. Edgar". He is truly phenomenal in all the last part. My very favorite scene is the one in which Leo talks with a man in a cell. You guys will know when you watch. That was so intense. All the cast is great. 7 seems low to me but I can´t rate 7.5 on here so I´ll give it an 8 Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    Shutter Island is an emotional juggernaut that is a long, winding and twisted road that leads to the aftertaste that tickles all the areas of your tongue. Martin Scorcese exhibits his directing mastery as he delivers a shockingly powerful film that is so thought-provoking, it will leave you dazed after hearing the last sentence that changes it all. DiCaprio delivers an incredulously electrifying performance - and coupled with the clashing chords of the score and the raw power of the conceptions portrayed, this film is an utter jaw-dropper. Expand
  25. Dec 8, 2012
    Pretty good. I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it's very overrated. It had some very good, thrilling moments, but overall it was predictable. I had the ending figured out after the first 90 minutes. Some people will try to squeeze this movie into "The Best of 2010" category, but for me it just doesn't deliver. Good but not what I was expecting!
  26. Nov 7, 2012
    Scorsese evokes black magic in the mind-rattling and unforgettable Shutter Island, a film filled to the brim with dark wonder and secrets buried many layers deep. You will want to see it again immediately after your first viewing.
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    This film is awesome! I love Leonardo Di Caprio! and this is deffo his best movie! One of my favorite movies of all time and great twist at the end. !!!
  28. Oct 15, 2012
    Scorsese and DiCaprio, in their fourth film together, again create an intense, provocative film-going experience, where the ride, accommodations, and destination are all first class.
  29. Oct 6, 2012
    It fails as a thriller, but is an excellent psycho drama. Every single actor is awesome and Scorsese's director work is also outstanding. Some dialogues were a bit too misleading and in the end not every detail gets elucitated. But still, 'Shutter Island' is a very interesting motion picture that doesn't get boring anywhere.
  30. Aug 25, 2012
    I rather enjoyed this psychological thriller by none other than Martin Scorsese. Leonardo Di Caprio, Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsly are fantastic throughout and upon repeat viewings, the audience will notice that the perspective of the film changes. It is a highly intelligent, well prepared film that deserves the highest of accolades.

1. The ending is powerful..., but Shutter Island is a long slog.
  2. It's a pleasure to experience Scorsese as a circus master. One just hopes he doesn't continue in this vein.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Even when it's clear Scorsese has decided to employ fakery and allow it to be obvious, it's done with elegance and beauty.